Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Lincoln would've jailed current GOP members like McConnell, who would've effectively been a Southern Democrat.

I wonder if McConnell would've Seceded.

Kentucky stayed in the union, McConnell would’ve led the war democrats.

Edit: wait no, he would’ve been a copperhead.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

Kentucky stayed in the union, McConnell would’ve led the war democrats.

Yes they did, but not for lack of trying.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentucky_in_the_American_Civil_War#Confederate_state_government

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Add my name to the list of ardent cast iron supporters. We've been using it almost exclusively for years now.

If you want to be serious about it, make sure you get at least 1 enameled pot/dutch oven so that you can handle acidic foods.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Can't wait for some sweet political deepfakes to pop up this year, though with clips that editable maybe they'll just refine the technology more before unleashing it.

For real, social media is going to be a complete poo poo show starting in August/September because of this. Political deep fakes are already here and we are completely unprepared for it as a society, especially domestically produced ones.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

ManMythLegend posted:

Add my name to the list of ardent cast iron supporters. We've been using it almost exclusively for years now.

If you want to be serious about it, make sure you get at least 1 enameled pot/dutch oven so that you can handle acidic foods.

Got an enamel cast iron Dutch oven, a ceramic pot, and a cast iron skillet

You can cook most anything with those three

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I have two caste iron pans.

I have never used them.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

colachute posted:

I have two caste iron pans.

I have never used them.

But...how?

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

They're untouchable

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Pine Cone Jones posted:

They're untouchable

:discourse:

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

ManMythLegend posted:

I have a lodge porcelain coated cast iron Dutch oven and it's fantastic for baking bread with nice crispy crust in.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
No wonder how they could gently caress with his sights to save lives.

https://twitter.com/mistermegative/status/1212424096895709184?s=19

(It's Eddie Gallagher)

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Castro has suspended his campaign. A shame that he sat around for years refusing to take a shot at the Senate.

A shame that Buttigieg gets all the mayoral credit and not Castro. That he couldn’t get any support from White Midwestern Olds bothers me.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I went from not knowing who Butt was at the start of last year, to really not liking him really fast.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

facialimpediment posted:

No wonder how they could gently caress with his sights to save lives.

https://twitter.com/mistermegative/status/1212424096895709184?s=19

(It's Eddie Gallagher)

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/31/us/navy-seals-edward-gallagher-trump.html

The grift rolls on, and on

quote:

A year ago, Navy SEAL Chief Petty Officer Edward Gallagher was wearing drab prison scrubs at a brig near San Diego, facing murder charges that could have sent him to prison for the rest of his life. Now he is modeling his own lifestyle clothing brand, endorsing nutrition supplements and positioning himself as a conservative influencer with close ties to the man who helped clear him — President Trump.

Chief Gallagher was acquitted this summer of charges that he shot at civilians and killed a wounded captive with a knife while serving as a platoon leader in Iraq. The punishment for his lone conviction — posing for a grisly trophy photo with the dead captive’s body — was reversed this fall by President Trump, who has repeatedly praised him. At a political rally in Florida, he called him “one of the ultimate fighters.”

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I didn't think I could hate Gallagher any more than I already do. Then Influncer Gallagher slides into the room to sell me on the war criminal lifestyle.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

I didn't think I could hate Gallagher any more than I already do. Then Influncer Gallagher slides into the room to sell me on the war criminal lifestyle.

The loud chuds are annoying and attention-seeking, but the dangerous ones are the silent majority, the ones like Joe Rogan who nod and don't take the mental arithmetic far enough, and are willing to hear "both sides". They are the ones who will normalize this. My only hope is that Bernie can galaxybrain them into voting blue.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

ManMythLegend posted:

For real, social media is going to be a complete poo poo show starting in August/September because of this. Political deep fakes are already here and we are completely unprepared for it as a society, especially domestically produced ones.

One of the best crack ping moments in 2019 was when a deep fake of AOC was debunked by a mod on the foot fetish wiki website. Fake news is real, but it's not Trump's definition.

While on road trips I'll occasionally stop in antique shops looking for two things: old hand tools and old cast iron pans. Older pans usually have a more machined surface finish, and if you're lucky, much more seasoning. Love my coated lodge dutch oven too. 95% as good as a la creuset for 25% the price.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Suicide Watch posted:

The loud chuds are annoying and attention-seeking, but the dangerous ones are the silent majority, the ones like Joe Rogan who nod and don't take the mental arithmetic far enough, and are willing to hear "both sides". They are the ones who will normalize this.
Lay off Rogan man. He's a good interviewer and has interesting guests.
Just kidding, he's an dumbass enabling piece of poo poo.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

gently caress the NYT for giving him free advertising for his new war criminal apparel company, too.

Also I hadn’t seen this before, but SOFREP (:rolleyes:) had an exclusive that Gallagher was removed from an operation in Afghanistan at a SF ODA’s request after he shot a civilian. Considering how that website’s staff are SEAL nutriders, it’s pretty telling that they ran this story too.

https://sofrep.com/news/exclusive-navy-seal-eddie-gallagher-was-also-alleged-to-have-committed-murder-in-afghanistan/

And now that Trump pardoned him, we won’t be rid of this shitbag for a long loving time as he continues to be ~aN oPeRaToR iNfLuEnCeR~

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
We use our cast iron daily. Love it.

I did contribute to this Kickstarter for a wrought iron frying pan, will give a report when it arrives.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/solidteknicsusa/yes-to-light-usa-iron-no-to-toxic-disposable-nonstick-pans

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

People keep saying this but what exactly would a “prepared society” look like or do differently?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

SimonCat posted:

I did contribute to this Kickstarter for a wrought iron frying pan, will give a report when it arrives.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/solidteknicsusa/yes-to-light-usa-iron-no-to-toxic-disposable-nonstick-pans

You're what's wrong with America

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
This cookware derail certainly is interesting

SimonCat posted:

Why this and not a well-seasoned lodge?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I have an instant pot I guess I just suck with it. Cast iron + sous vide rule tho.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I am going to need some context for this because there is no way I am watching an hour and forty minute video of a woman sitting fully clothed in a bath tub talking about Youtube drama between a male makeup artist and some old woman I've never heard of before.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

SimonCat posted:

This doesn't need to exist.

You really only need a cast iron skillet, a stainless steel skillet, and a nonstick skillet if you scramble eggs.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Suicide Watch posted:

This cookware derail certainly is interesting

Why this and not a well-seasoned lodge?

I have 2 well-seasoned Lodges, I just thought I'd try something different.

Anyone have experience with cast iron waffle irons? I have a textured pancake hole in my kitchen apparatus.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Nephzinho posted:

This doesn't need to exist.

You really only need a cast iron skillet, a stainless steel skillet, and a nonstick skillet if you scramble eggs.

We scramble eggs in the cast iron, just have to cook bacon in it first.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Brute Squad posted:

One of the best crack ping moments in 2019 was when a deep fake of AOC was debunked by a mod on the foot fetish wiki website. Fake news is real, but it's not Trump's definition.

That wasn’t even a deep fake, it was a faceless picture from a foot fetish cam girl that chuds tried to pass off as AOC to slander her. If some noble pervert hadn’t recognized his favorite feet and spoke up it probably would’ve gotten a lot more traction just because of how little of the woman was actually visible.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

SimonCat posted:

There’s another way to do eggs?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

SimonCat posted:

That looks cool as gently caress, but I'm still a sucker for my sexy French cast iron pans with beautiful colors.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

People freak out about putting caste iron in the dishwasher but I did it and everything turned out fine.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

smertrioslol posted:

There’s another way to do eggs?

You can just toss a dollop of butter in if you want then to be halal

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Hekk posted:

I am going to need some context for this because there is no way I am watching an hour and forty minute video of a woman sitting fully clothed in a bath tub talking about Youtube drama between a male makeup artist and some old woman I've never heard of before.

At this point I think thread readers know if they like contrapoints or not, I'm just posting the update.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

SimonCat posted:

I have 2 well-seasoned Lodges, I just thought I'd try something different.

Anyone have experience with cast iron waffle irons? I have a textured pancake hole in my kitchen apparatus.

SimonCat posted:

Bacon is pretty firmly in my once a month food category. I have a cast iron skillet that is in the "can see my reflection in it" phase of seasoning, but for simplicity and using as little fat as possible, I keep a nonstick around just for scrambling eggs.

I have a cast iron waffle maker that is a bit of a tank, it weighs about 40#. I lusted after a friend's for years before finally getting my own a few months back. It is absolutely amazing and by far my favorite way of making my favorite food. The ones that you just put in the oven or on the stove are a little more finicky though and you're probably better off just using an electric Cuisinart if you plan to make more than 1 or 2 at a time. The 2-at-a-time Cuisinart served me well for years before I picked up my tank: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898823

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

colachute posted:

People freak out about putting caste iron in the dishwasher but I did it and everything turned out fine.

You just don’t want the caste mixing, that’s all.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

FrozenVent posted:

You just don’t want the caste mixing, that’s all.

:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Pretty sure my next cookware purchase is gonna be a bigass wok of some sort. Don't have one of those yet.