Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
Next story down from the printed gun homicide

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-considers-pardoning-blackwater-mercenary-convicted-of-murder?ref=scroll

quote:

Trump Considers Pardoning Blackwater Mercenary Convicted of Murder
BODY COUNT
An effort to clear a Blackwater merc doing life for murder in the infamous Nisour Square massacre may soon bear fruit, multiple sources tell The Daily Beast.

Asawin Suebsaeng
White House Reporter
Spencer Ackerman
Senior Nat’l Security Correspondent
Published Jan. 02, 2020 7:59PM ET

Less than two months after granting clemency to three convicted or accused war criminals, Donald Trump is considering pardoning a man convicted of murder in one of the worst atrocities of the Iraq war—someone who served under the command of an infamous for-profit army.

In recent weeks, the president has asked close advisers what they think of additional clemency, according to a source close to the president and a senior administration official. “He’s said he wants to do more,” said the administration official, who discussed this case, as well as others, with the president. “There are more warriors out there who he believes have been treated unfairly and whose [cases] need another look.”

Not all of those “warriors” are U.S. servicemembers, however.

The Daily Beast has learned that Trump is still quietly weighing pardoning at least one employee of the private army Blackwater, Nicholas Slatten. Convicted of first-degree murder and sentenced to life imprisonment, Slatten, a former U.S. Army sniper, took part in the contractor’s infamous 2007 massacre at the Nisour Square traffic circle in Baghdad. Blackwater was founded by Trump ally Erik Prince, who has insisted for over a decade that the company was railroaded after Nisour Square by an American left gone insane.

The White House declined comment on this story on Thursday afternoon.

Should Trump go through with the Blackwater pardon, it would be a stunning denouement to a wrenching episode in which Iraqis watched ten men, two women and two pre-teen boys die violently despite being unarmed commuters. Ever since, U.S. diplomats have counseled the Iraqis to trust in the American justice system–which turned Nisour Square into a prolonged legal fiasco. And any clemency for Slatten would happen in the aftermath of angry Iraqis storming the U.S. embassy in Baghdad, which has raised questions about the Iraqi government’s willingness to continue the U.S. military presence.

“Nick is innocent, and recent revelations of government misconduct prove that prosecutors lied to the court, lied to Nick's jury, and have been lying to the American public for over a decade to obtain Nick's wrongful conviction,” Slatten’s sister, Jessica Slatten, said in a statement to The Daily Beast. “Without a pardon, Nick may die in prison for a war-zone shooting he did not commit.”

But Gary Solis, a retired Marine judge advocate, ex-West Point law professor and Vietnam combat veteran, said there “can be no good reason, legal or humanitarian, for exercising clemency in a case like Nisour Square and those who were involved in it.” Solis said Trump “knows nothing about these individuals, or what goes on on the battlefield. We’re talking about a multiple 4F-er,” referencing Trump’s Vietnam draft deferments, “and yet he wants to play the general and the Fox News hero.”

In November, President Trump pardoned or restored in rank Clint Lorance, Matthew Golsteyn, and Edward Gallagher, three convicted or accused war criminals. Their cases had become causes célèbres for MAGA diehards and several prominent figures in Trump-aligned conservative media. Trump’s Nov. 15 actions came despite an abundance of evidence for the grisly crimes and prompted anger from veterans who believe the three disgraced their uniform. Fallout from Trump’s decision resulted in the noisy firing of Navy Secretary Richard Spencer.

Still, the president has remained proud and publicly boastful of the move, declaring it as a victory for America’s “warriors” and as a loss for those who desire a more “politically correct” United States Armed Forces. As The Daily Beast has reported, Trump had recently discussed with confidants the possibility of bringing some, if not all, of the servicemen to 2020 campaign events, even potentially bringing them on-stage for a big moment at the Republican National Convention in Charlotte.

It only took until early December for the president to welcome Golsteyn and Lorance on stage with him during a Republican fundraiser in Florida.

According to two sources familiar with the conversations, Pete Hegseth, a Fox News host and informal Trump adviser who was instrumental in pushing the president on his previous round of clemency, and Lorance have already raised Slatten and others’ situations with the president, with Trump expressing interest in “taking a look at” these additional cases, as well.

Some conservative allies of the president have attempted to rebrand Slatten and three other Blackwater contractors convicted of manslaughter as “the Biden Four.” The entirety of their connection to Biden is a January 2010 press conference in Baghdad where the former vice president pledged to appeal a judge’s unexpected dismissal of the contractors’ indictment due to prosecutorial misconduct. “Joe Biden sided with Iraqi politicians over America’s own. This is why I am calling these veterans ‘The Biden Four,” Duncan Hunter, a soon-to-be former congressman since convicted of campaign-finance violations, explained in a June Fox News op-ed.

“Some conservative allies of the president have attempted to rebrand Slatten and three other Blackwater contractors convicted of manslaughter as ‘the Biden Four.’”
Blackwater, the most infamous private security contractor of the 21st century, held lucrative contracts to protect U.S. diplomats in war zones during much of the war on terrorism. While many of the firm’s contractors came from the U.S. military, discipline often did not follow, and Blackwater earned a reputation for trigger happiness. In September 2007, a Blackwater tactical support team known as Raven 23 acted in what the Justice Department later called “disregard of an order from Blackwater’s command” and blockaded the bustling traffic circle of Nisour Square hours after a car bomb detonated nearby. When a white Kia sedan moved forward in a traffic jam, Blackwater contractors opened fire with machine guns and even grenades out of fear the Kia was another bomb.

The carnage left over a dozen unarmed Iraqis dead and another 17 injured. Nisour Square became a signature atrocity of the Iraq war, representing to Iraqis the impunity with which they saw Americans operate. Blackwater presented Nisour Square as a tragic example of the confusion present in an insurgent war, not a crime. The U.S. refused to permit Iraq to prosecute the Blackwater guards and confronted a swell of protest by assuring Iraq that its own justice system could handle the case. But a subsequent indictment of five Raven 23 guards, including Slatten, relied on statements they provided the State Department soon after the shooting, without protections against self-incrimination. It prompted Judge Ricardo Urbina to dismiss the case in 2009, sparking another international furor.

A subsequent trial, however, saw several Iraqi witnesses travel to the U.S. to testify. They disputed the Blackwater guards’ claim to have taken fire from insurgents at Nisour Square, and presented instead a scene of unprovoked horror that escalated as panicked motorists tried to flee. Mohammed Kinani, whose 9-year old son Ali was shot dead in the head, compared Blackwater to Saddam Hussein. Majed Salman Abdel Kareem al-Gharbawi, who survived a gunshot wound to the abdomen, testified that he watched his friend Osama Abbas die from a hail of Blackwater bullets as Abbas attempted to run away.

Three Blackwater contractors were charged with manslaughter, and another pleaded guilty and testified against the others. But prosecutors charged Slatten with first-degree murder for being the first Blackwater guard to fire, sparking the incident and killing Ahmed Haithem Ahmed al-Rubia’y, the 19-year old behind the Kia’s wheel. Slatten has for years denied being the first to open fire. When federal judge Royce Lamberth sentenced Slatten to life imprisonment in 2015, Slatten replied, “You know I am innocent, sir.” One of Slatten’s attorneys nevertheless apologized to al-Rubai’y’s family.

But it was far from an end to the case. To secure the convictions of the Blackwater guards, federal prosecutors brought machine-gun charges dubiously applicable to a warzone. An appeals court voided the conviction in 2017 and ordered a new trial, which resulted in a hung jury and mistrial the following year over the question of who shot first. A third trial before Lamberth ended in Slatten’s conviction in December 2018. Slatten had rejected an offer to plead guilty to manslaughter and received a life sentence in August amidst rumors that Trump would pardon him.

Lawyers for Slatten last month sought a fourth trial for the ex-contractor, calling him a “wrongly convicted, innocent man whose constitutional rights were violated” by repeated prosecutorial misconduct. The defense team claims one of the other Raven 23 contractors, Paul Slough, confessed to being the first to open fire and charged the government with withholding evidence that exonerates Slatten. Lamberth denied Slatten’s motion on Dec. 23, according to court records.

Slatten’s lead attorney, Amy Mason Saharia of the Williams and Connolly law firm, declined to comment on Thursday. Slatten’s relatives and advocates have urged Trump to pardon him, even writing the White House counsel in August.

“Think about how this looks to Iraqi civilians who’ve been asked to trust U.S. forces, including contractors, to protect them,” said Sarah Holewinski, a former human-rights adviser to the Joint Chiefs of Staff and a board member of the humanitarian group CIVIC. “If they can’t rely on a U.S. court decision, where can they turn?”

Tim Parlatore, an attorney for Edward Gallagher, said on Thursday, “I have spoken with one of [the former Blackwater employees’] lawyers. It is one of those cases where they did make a tough decision in combat, and I think they should be given the benefit of the doubt.”

Parlatore added, “It’s not the sort of thing you should be in jail for for the rest of your life. Whether it’s through a pardon or clemency, I think releasing them from prison would be an appropriate thing for President Trump to do.”

It is unclear if the president will follow through after “taking a look at” these cases and grant Slatten and others’ wish. However, he’s insisted publicly that he will “always” have the backs of convicted American war criminals who he believes have fallen victim to a supposed squishiness in the military. Indeed, the president has made such promises a part of his reelection campaign.

“I will always stick up for our great fighters,” Trump said at a Florida rally in late November. “People can sit there in air-conditioned offices and complain, but you know what? It doesn’t matter to me whatsoever.”

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/1212916447791501313?s=19

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
https://twitter.com/StratSentinel/status/1213236106151501824?s=19

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

January Current Events: We've hosed This Decade Up Already

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
https://twitter.com/Spy_Stations/status/1213537580572131328?s=19

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

beathhail posted:

Zac only has three days till retirement and he's been partnered up with Taz.

And Arlo is fed up with their bickering.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
https://twitter.com/DuffelBlog/status/1214517383278268417?s=19

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
Congress met for a war powers act meeting to attempt to limit anger mango

Also there really is a tweet for everything

https://twitter.com/juliangough/status/852917560903434240?s=19

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
From a coworker

https://twitter.com/Breaking911/status/1214756628588834821?s=19

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
Oh that earthquake in Iran. It's by one of their nuke plants

https://twitter.com/StratSentinel/status/1214755378141024256?s=19

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
So here's something else in the mix

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7CuA4ZplLeKPEIi9JWcJLCk-kMe4INraLihRQ0/?igshid=1od6zmxu3kziq

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

Flikken posted:

Honestly, it goes gently caress the Steelers, gently caress the Patriots, and then gently caress the Ravens.

Your order is wrong,

gently caress the Pat's, Ravens, Cincy, Browns

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
Right around the same time for Illinois

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

shame on an IGA posted:

nah Air Wagner flies Cessna 414s

Lol

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
I thought that normally you pull a boat out for maintenance like that, and only dive for emergency prop or shaft repair

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

bdu krew represent

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
Propublica with a combo

https://www.propublica.org/article/trump-inc-podcast-inauguration-complaint

quote:

Donald and Ivanka Trump Were Involved in Inauguration’s Inflated Payments to Family Business, New Suit Says

“Members of the Trump family were aware of and involved in the negotiation of this unconscionable contract,” the District of Columbia’s attorney general wrote in the suit.

Then-President-elect Donald Trump and his daughter Ivanka were warned in 2016 that the family business was overcharging the nonprofit presidential inaugural committee — and let it happen anyway, according to a suit filed Wednesday by the Washington, D.C., attorney general.

In the civil complaint, Attorney General Karl Racine charged the Trump inaugural committee and the Trump Organization with using around $1 million of charitable funds to improperly enrich the Trump family.

An experienced event planner who was working for the inaugural, Stephanie Winston Wolkoff, raised concerns directly with Donald and Ivanka Trump that the Trump International Hotel in Washington was trying to overcharge the inaugural committee.

“Winston Wolkoff met with President-elect Trump and Ivanka Trump and discussed these concerns with both individuals,” the suit says. “The President-elect acknowledged these concerns and directed that Ivanka Trump would handle this issue.”

The complaint accuses three entities — the Trump Organization, the inaugural committee and the Trump hotel — of subverting the public purpose of a charity for the Trump family’s private benefit.

At the center of the complaint is a four-day rental agreement for the downtown Washington hotel’s ballroom and adjacent spaces. The hotel, and by extension the Trump family, was paid far above market rate, according to internal documents the attorney general obtained by subpoena.

As WNYC and ProPublica’s “Trump, Inc.” revealed, the Trump inaugural committee paid the Trump Organization over Wolkoff’s objections, which Ivanka had been aware of.

Documents uncovered by the D.C. attorney general contradict earlier statements by spokespeople for the Trumps that they had little or no involvement in the negotiations.

“The president was focused on the transition during that time and not on any of the planning for the inauguration,” Sarah Huckabee Sanders said in December 2018.

Peter Mirijanian, a spokesman for Ivanka Trump’s ethics lawyer, told WNYC and ProPublica in 2018 that Ivanka had only been contacted once about inauguration spending at Trump’s hotel: “Ms. Trump was not involved in any additional discussions.”

The attorney general’s documents show deeper involvement.

Ivanka Trump was made aware of concerns about overpayment in a Dec. 12, 2016, email from Rick Gates, the deputy to the inaugural chairman, which she responded to two days later. On Dec. 16, Wolkoff raised her concerns in person with Donald and Ivanka Trump. The next day, Wolkoff again objected to the Trump hotel’s proposed rates.

“These events are in PE’s [the president-elect’s] honor at his hotel and one of them is for family and close friends,” she wrote in an email to Ivanka and Gates. “Please take into consideration that when this is audited it will become public knowledge.”

Other venues hosting inauguration events provided space for free.

On Jan. 10, 2017, the inaugural committee finalized its contract with the hotel at $175,000 per day, over Wolkoff’s objections. The committee was also charged for days when it wasn’t even using the space, the suit says.

One event, costing more than $300,000, was a private reception at the Trump hotel “benefiting only the children of the President,” the complaint says.

“DJT is not expected to attend but was more for you, Don and Eric,” Gates wrote in an email to Ivanka Trump several days before the event, according to the complaint.

The Trump inaugural appears to have overpaid for space at Trump’s Washington hotel, a possible violation of the law. Federal prosecutors are probing the festivities.

A spokesperson for the Trump Organization dismissed the D.C. suit in an emailed statement:

“The AG’s claims are false, intentionally misleading and riddled with inaccuracies. The rates charged by the hotel were completely in line with what anyone else would have been charged for an unprecedented event of this enormous magnitude and were reflective of the fact that [sic] hotel had just recently opened, possessed superior facilities and was centrally located on Pennsylvania Avenue. The AG’s after the fact attempt to regulate what discounts it believes the hotel should have provided as well as the timing of this complaint reeks of politics and is a clear PR stunt.”

Spokespeople for the inaugural committee, the White House and Ivanka Trump did not immediately comment. A spokesman for the IRS, which regulates charities, said “federal law prohibits the IRS from discussing specific taxpayers.”

D.C. is asking the court to compel the Trump Organization to place at least $1,033,757 in a trust, so the money can be allocated “to another nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting civic engagement of the citizens of the United States of America.”

The Trump inaugural committee drew scrutiny from the moment it first reported its financials. The committee raised nearly $107 million, close to double the haul of President Barack Obama’s record-setting 2009 bash, despite being a much smaller event. Past inaugural planners said they would struggle to spend a sum of money that large.

“It’s inexplicable to me,” Greg Jenkins, who led former President George W. Bush’s second inaugural committee, told “Trump, Inc.”

https://www.propublica.org/article/trump-pushed-for-a-sweetheart-tax-deal-on-his-first-hotel-its-cost-new-york-city-410-068-399-and-counting

quote:

Trump Pushed for a Sweetheart Tax Deal on His First Hotel. It’s Cost New York City $410,068,399 and Counting.

Donald Trump after he received an unprecedented 40-year tax break to acquire and redevelop the Commodore Hotel in 1976. The break, which ends in April, has cost the city over $410 million in forgone revenue.

In 1975, New York City was run-down and on the verge of bankruptcy. Twenty-nine-year-old Donald Trump saw an opportunity. He wanted to acquire and redevelop the dilapidated Commodore Hotel in midtown Manhattan next to Grand Central Terminal.

Trump had bragged to the executive controlling the sale that he could use his political connections to get tax breaks for the deal.

The executive was skeptical. But the next day, the executive was invited into Trump’s limousine, which ushered him to City Hall. There, he met with Donald’s father Fred and Mayor Abe Beame, to whom the Trumps had given lavishly.

Beame put his arm around the Trumps. “Anything they want, they get,” Beame said, as recounted by Trump’s first biographer, journalist Wayne Barrett.

Trump got an unprecedented 40-year tax break. According to new figures given to us by the New York City Department of Taxation and Finance, the break has cost the city $410,068,399.55 in forgone revenue to Trump and the hotel’s subsequent owners. The break ends this April.

In “The Art of the Deal,” Trump said there was a reason for the 40-year deal: “Because I didn’t ask for 50.”

Trump got it over the misgivings of some state officials. The former chairman of the state economic development agency, Richard Ravitch, recalled in an interview that Trump approached him in December 1975. Trump, who had ties to Gov. Hugh Carey, “started raising his voice, and threatening me, and said, ‘If you don’t give me a tax abatement, I’m going to have you fired.’ I said, ‘Get the gently caress out of here.’”

Ravitch was not fired, but the state agency did approve the break. Trump has said the decision was made on the merits.

“Really the story of Donald Trump, rather than this Horatio Alger figure, this is a guy who managed to learn how to turn politics into money,” said Barrett during a 1992 WNYC interview, the same one in which he told the Beame story. (Barrett died on Jan. 19, 2017, on the eve of Trump’s inauguration.)

Trump has long worked hard to avoid taxes. “That makes me smart,” he famously retorted during a 2016 presidential debate. But Donald Trump didn’t come up with those smarts himself.

In 1954, Fred Trump appeared before the Senate Banking Committee, which questioned his practice of valuing his properties at top dollar for government mortgages while using much lower assessments for tax purposes. A federal report criticized the practices that Fred Trump and other developers engaged in, calling them “outright misrepresentation.”

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
https://twitter.com/Julian_Epp/status/1218202975451123712?s=19

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
Great Lakes Naval under lockdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Yuck you guys are the worst. Motherfuck logbooks though. Except I still write zeros with that little strike through them.

Same plus a seven with a line through and a z as well.