Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Smiling Jack posted:

wtf is going on with this "forums drama"

Might be the best summary:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908432&perpage=40&pagenumber=89#post501226034

at least on the CSPAM/D&D front

Since FYAD has been clamped down on all of the “FYAD-lites” are getting overflow which is making any existing issues way worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

why are these current event threads in the army subforum anyway? I mostly just engage with the LP side of this place so I'm not Hip To The SA Culture

DND and CSPAM are both current events forums. Several other forums have their own “chat” threads that discuss current events through the lens of that forum’s community.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

“Democrats would’ve impeached Lincoln” gets a “technically correct” rating so I can’t do anything but laugh.

Blago should’ve added something about Trump tower Chicago to really get on the fast track for a pardon.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Lincoln would've jailed current GOP members like McConnell, who would've effectively been a Southern Democrat.

I wonder if McConnell would've Seceded.

Kentucky stayed in the union, McConnell would’ve led the war democrats.

Edit: wait no, he would’ve been a copperhead.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 2, 2020

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Just to be clear here, was this Iranian general in Iraq officially on a state passport doing official state business in a country that diplomatically recognizes the government he worked for?

At least when we violated Pakistani territory to assassinate OBL he was generally recognized as an outlaw and Pakistan basically had to say “oh uh thanks for taking care of that!”

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Not if you turn the entire subcontinent radioactive.

Think big.

The quote is “A nuclear bomb, does that bother you?… I just want you to think big, Henry, for Christ’s sake! “

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Thats a fire whirl. A fire tornado is when a firestorm is strong enough that it creates a supercell thunderstorm that drops a tornado.

Australia gets those too!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Trump is so bad at this that hes going to no CB invade Iran instead of going with one of the fabricated ones.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Can they expel or PNG ambassadors or diplomatic staff?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cugel the Clever posted:

"The concept of law is a joke to me anyway. There's no one to enforce said law except other humans. And how often do they ever do that when it counts?"

The benefits of a rules-based order aren't readily noticed until they're gone. The answer to international law being poorly- or selectively-enforced isn't to throw up one's hands and say, "Let states do as they will!", instead, it's something that we have to fight for. Otherwise, the same bad or imperfect actors that flaunted the law as it existed will have an even freer hand.

Unrelated, but I really can't blame Iran if they dash for a nuke at this point. Just have to hope that the US/Israel don't attempt a direct intervention to prevent it.

Trump’s relations with North Korea is all the evidence any nation needs that getting a nuke is critical.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nothing to worry about right
https://twitter.com/rezamarashi/status/1214031170330980352?s=21

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Uhmmmm.... what do you need 50 shells for?

30-50 feral hogs?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bengy81 posted:

Man, that CK2 endgame is getting really weird

You're looking for this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3879589

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Untagged posted:

Might as well get rid of most of the indoor shooting ranges while we're at it...

http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?201+ful+HB567

quote:

B. It is unlawful to operate an indoor shooting range in any building not owned or leased by the Commonwealth or the federal government unless (i) fewer than 50 employees work in the building or (ii) (a) at least 90 percent of the users of the indoor shooting range are law-enforcement officers, as defined in § 9.1-101, or federal law-enforcement officers, (b) the indoor shooting range maintains a log of each user's name, phone number, address, and the law-enforcement agency where such user is employed, and (c) the indoor shooting range verifies each user's identity and address by requiring all users to present a government-issued photo-identification card.

Is this saying that shooting ranges are fine for anyone if fewer than 50 employees work in the building? I'm really confused by what this is supposed to accomplish.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Feels weird to me I guess, never been to Virginia but in Kentucky it seemed like all the ranges were standalone buildings that were outside urban areas (zoning and property values trump the 2nd amendment you see)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Airplane mode still lets you have WiFi and Bluetooth on. Modern phones periodically use both of those radios if they’re not explicitly disabled and I’d imagine that’s incredibly useful SIGINT.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/ryananjax/status/1214725400435265538?s=21

What’s the scam I wonder.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Supposed video of the Ukrainian jet crashing, sure looks like it was shot down.

https://t.me/Khabar_Fouri/178465

It’s on fire and pieces are breaking off, nothing hits it from the ground in the video I see?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I’m really surprised they were allowing flights at that time.

Since it’s the wildest timeline I’m half expecting something absurd like that valujet flight that went down in flames because they loaded a bunch of oxygen canisters next to the wheel well.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Godholio posted:

OUTBOUND? Jesus Christ, guys.

If true there’s a very dark irony

Iran 1980s: the plane was ascending and flying away from your cruiser, how can you possibly make that mistake!
Iran 2020: oh, like that

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/inqalabiyah/status/1214822662268170240

With tweets like this theres no way Trump doesn't institute a draft for the posting wars.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BUG JUG posted:

Forum current event: what the gently caress is going on with CSPAM? Write your reply in the form of a brief the CiC can understand.

A nazi was modding D&D and was banning some CSPAM posters. Several posters got discord logs/screen shots of the nazi saying nazi things on the nazi discord. These people were permabanned for "doxxing" and "mod sass". The nazi mod eventually put up this "defense" which was basically that they were totally an undercover spy guys, all the nazi stuff was just ironic to fit in. Because you know, you can't just idle and lurk on a discord for forever. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3909802

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Funnily enough I actually think that PPJ's explanation makes more sense than him secretly being a Nazi all along.

Then you haven't internalized the lesson of FYAD.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If you post nazi poo poo even ironically you are a nazi.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I don't see the impass, just pay the US $0 and they'll leave, right?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

im 99.8% sure it was either that or some officer making some group of privates track the plane "for practice" and running through the checklists and WHOOPS

tell me im loving wrong

That’s how the USN shot a... Greek (?) frigate right ?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That book from the NASA doctor said sex is not possible in microgravity which is going to lead to a lot of disappointment.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Belichick never got caught for doing it in real time though.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The best answer is she’s a cop.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CSPAM has leaked into real life:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/lightfantastic/status/1217304934397419521

https://twitter.com/CHueyBurns/status/1217307350173995008

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Internet Wizard posted:

As someone who was a member of the intelligence community in 2016, get the hell out of here with this “Russia did nothing wrong” poo poo

Of course they tried to exert their influence. And hell, they even had some successes, the largest of which is probably taking over the NRA. The core point however is that if you can assign any "blame" to Russia for Hillary losing it has to be some minuscule fraction of a percent at fault. The responsibility for that election cannot be placed with Russia.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Honestly I feel that the problem with the 2016 election for the dems was that it was so close, any individual factor could have been the turning point - which has allowed people to pick and choose what they think was the real reason why Hillary lost. Russia, Comey, 'Bernie Bros', the campaign's strategy in the Midwest (or lack thereof), Clinton's personal likeability, emailghazi, trade policy, racism... flip any one of these individual factors and more likely than not, Clinton wins. Had she lost by more, we may have seen a deeper level of introspection. But instead, we get constant re-litigation over issues that still exist and are getting worse, because everyone thinks it's someone else's fault.

If you want to give one proximate cause that is counterintelligence related then go with Comey's announcement in the last 2 weeks. Theres a lot of evidence in elections that only the last 2 weeks of tv ads and news stories really "work" as far as people making the decision whether to vote and who to vote for.

However, you can also point out that Hillary did not campaign in any of those states that went Trump that were critical (Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania) in the last 2 months, let alone last 2 weeks. Bernie actually was doing multiple events per day for Hillary in those states in the lead up to the election and thats one of the reasons that "berniebros" are furious with the party insiders that blame Bernie for her loss.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

As much as Russia did meddle in the 2016 elections, does the US really have a leg to stand on here? There are probably more third world elections the US meddled in than we didn't over the last half century or so. Iraq and Afghanistan are still only nominally democratic US client states in a lot of ways. We clearly chose sides in Iran, Egypt, Bahrain, for the autocratic side in the latter couple of cases. And let's not even get into the dozens of direct coups we have sponsored or supported.

The US doesn't seem to have a lot of respect for democracy internationally for a country complaining about foreign meddling in its elections. The Trump campaign criminally dealt with that Russia interference and unfortunately it doesn't look like they will be held to account, but many of the Democrats who are pointing fingers at Russia were part of the national security establishment for a long time in some capacity and should take a long hard look at themselves first.

Was it "democracy" that the CIA or DoD or someone officially defined as "aligned with US interests"?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Internet Wizard posted:

Bernie straight up denying that he told Liz that he didn’t think a woman could win looks really bad when everybody else is saying that conversation did happen. He should’ve said yes he said that but what he MEANT was blah blah and contextualized it

It was a private conversation. The "confirmation" is asking 4 different people Warren told the same story to.

Its a pretty strong indictment of what passes as media research today.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Don't just read the transcript, CNN's audio is embedded in the video at this link:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/15/politics/bernie-sanders-elizabeth-warren-debate-audio/index.html

Starts at 10s. You have to watch it for Tom Steyer, its even better than the body language implied

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Florida, which has been squirming since voters decided felons should get their right to vote restored, re-implemented the poll tax

https://twitter.com/NewsGuyGreg/status/1217844526162808832?s=20

Thats not the craziest interpretation - a fine is part of the punishment for a crime after all. The implementation will likely be pretty bullshit however.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A Bad Poster posted:

I think the intent of it was that being a convicted criminal does not take away your right to vote. Really nothing should aside from being incapable mentally, or denouncing citizenship. They include people in prisons on the census.

quote:

No. 4 Constitutional Amendment Article VI, Section 4. Voting Restoration Amendment This amendment restores the voting rights of Floridians with felony convictions after they complete all terms of their sentence including parole or probation. The amendment would not apply to those convicted of murder or sexual offenses, who would continue to be permanently barred from voting unless the Governor and Cabinet vote to restore their voting rights on a case by case basis.

"All terms of their sentence" is in what was voted on.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Will Vandenberg be renamed to “Vandenberg SFB”?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

What the poo poo is this gently caress.

In other "what the poo poo is this gently caress" news today:

https://twitter.com/CIA/status/1219228796219510784

https://twitter.com/FBI/status/1219228329703870464