Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Thwomp posted:

I wonder how Cait Jenner feels.

Rich enough to be insulated from the terrible policies she voted for.

But, probably not good.

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/i-was-wrong-about-trump-caitlyn-jenner-says-op-ed-n924531

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

How long will it take to capture Tehran? 2 days
Will Ali Khamenei be killed? Yes
Total Iranian civillian casualties: 500 dead
Total military casualties Iran: 3000 dead
Total military casualties U.S.: 15 dead
Will the Iranian army regulars hold the lines? No
Will the IRGC fight to the end? No
Will chem/bio weapons be used on invading troops?: Yes
Will Ali Khamenei launch attacks on the Kurds? Yes
Will Ali Khamenei launch attacks on Israel? No
-If yes; will Isreal retaliate harshly? Yes
Will Ali Khamenei sacrifice Tehran (gas/nuke it)? No
Will the Kurds make a grab for independence? Yes
Will Turkey do anything silly like try for land? Yes
Will Ali Khamenei burn the oil fields? Yes
How long will the US be occupying Iran? ~15 years
Will the Iran war catalyze increased terrorism in America?No
In the long run, will this war be good or bad for the world? Good

we have to look at what those civilian casualties are- just because they're civilian doesn't make them innocent! Lets take a look at a few possibilities:

1) A civilian walking down the street to market gets killed by a cruise missile fired at the market.

2) A civilian asleep in their house is killed when their house is targetting by a smart bomb and blown up.

OK, these two are regrettable innocents being killed- but since the US doesn't make a habit of targetting markets or houses, they're very small in number!

3) A civilian working at a chemical weapon factory gets killed when the chemical weapon plant is bombed.

4) A civilian security guard at a weapons depot is killed when the weapons explode.

5) A civilian contractor repairing a tank is killed by a MOAB dropped on the unit.

6) A civilian engineer is killed when the military command center he works at is destroyed.

7) A civilian delivering snackiecakes to the baghdad bunker vending machines eats a 5,000lb bunker buster.

etc, etc. The list goes on. My point is that there are a lot of civilians directly supporting the military that aren't exactly "innocent" and would be mire rightly counted among the military casualties than civilian. I'm a civilian and work for the US military, but I acknowledge I'm also a valid military target because of what I do. And I think the vast majority of civilian casualties in this campaign will not be innocent.

:discourse:

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I went a long, looooong time before I finally "got" the whole crack ping thing, but holy poo poo now here it is.

Does this mean my great aunt's "I don't give Facebook consent to own my images" post is also valid now?

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

:discourse:

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

A Bad Poster posted:

Oh, you'll only pet the white dog eh?

Taz earned his place as a good boy, but everyone's gonna call him a diversity hire. Sad.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

9 days in, and something good finally happened in 2020.

My 6 year old Subaru still runs like a dream with no maintenance beyond oil changes, but if the F.U.C.K.S. is still available when I need a new one, I know what I'll be buying.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

A Bad Poster posted:

I can't wait for them to that over with. In what universe does that negatively affect anyone except the British?

It'll be nice and smooth. No Troubles at all.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I lost my pistol

Did you try not telling anybody for two days until someone else finds it and turns it in at a different camp?

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Stabbing, arson (?) and multiple homicides in Honolulu.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/multiple-police-critically-hurt-hawaiis-diamond-head-officials/story?id=68390057

Someone's trying to give Florida Man a run for his money.

Edit: multiple houses burned down and the cops think the suspect died amidst the flames, but no word on whether it was arson or a side-effect of the shootout.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

WaPo getting in on NYT's editorial endorsement game:

Washington Post: In a break from tradition, I am endorsing all 12 Democratic candidates

quote:

If there were ever a time to be open to ideas, it is now. But if there were ever a time to seal off our minds from ideas, lest they contaminate and confuse us, it is also now. If there were ever a time to have principles and state them, now is surely that time. But, then again, if there were ever a time to cast principles aside and choose a candidate for sheer pragmatism, now is also that time.

quote:

Yes, in an ideal world, I would only endorse a single candidate. But this election has made it all too clear that we do not live in an ideal world. Therefore, I am endorsing one candidate for each reality: one for what I have dubbed an ideal reality (Warren), one for a “pragmatic” reality (Klobuchar) and 10 others for slightly different versions of reality, in one of which America and Canada are a single entity, and in another one of which, everyone has crab claws for hands! (Pete Buttigieg, John Delaney.) Also, I am endorsing Donald Trump, in the reality where he is a completely different man whom everyone would describe as “very not-racist.”

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Richard Bong posted:

Not infantry but was an FO. Most of those guys have never tried to move in that gear.

The Drop legs are all set too low and they have so much empty space on their vests that they’d be better served just putting the holster on it up front on the chest above the mags. Drop legs make running awkward even when worn right.

There’s that one guy with a pouch over his groin that will nut shot him the first time he goes prone.

The helmet straps are generally not set right so they will flop around anytime they move faster than a walking pace. Also superfluous Nods mounts and flashlights on the helmets.

Assault packs are sitting far too low on the back. Again posing a problem when moving quickly. Also it pulls your shoulders back.

This was also brought up but the gear all looks new and stiff like it hasn’t been broken in at all. Which makes it fit poorly and chafe a poo poo ton.

And this is all so basic that they obviously never even played at their dumb cosplay in the woods with their dumb cosplay friends.

My one and only real Air Force "combat" deployment was as an augmentee to an Army unit in Aghanistan. All of us Air Force cats got the standard infantry field gear, then went through a couple weeks of combat training at Ft Dix before shipping out.

Almost every single thing Richard Bong and the others mentioned (except the groin pouch issue) came up in the first two days. Most of us had no idea how to properly wear a drop leg holster, or the correct positioning of an assault pack, etc, but we figured it out real fast after we had to move/shoot/communicate. There's nothing quite like getting your pistol jammed up in your asscrack because the holster was too low and loose when you had to sprint with it. Followed by cinching it tighter and turning it into a tourniquet.

otoh, I'm glad that those clowns clearly just dress up for special events. I'd be more concerned if they actually took the time to figure out what they're doing.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

E) aussies had these fancy pants with kneepads sewn into them and I was always hella jealous of them :sigh:

I might be the only person who actually liked the foam inserts for the older ACU knees/elbows. Sure, you'd tear the poo poo out of the uniform if you actually used them as intended, but they stayed in place and you wouldn't bust up your knee instead.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I bet she would rather not vote than vote between Bernie and trump. Wouldn't surprise me if she respected trump more than Bernie too

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Vasudus posted:

My student loans are about to be wiped clean because I'm now 100% by the VA.

You too can erase them, you just have to be disabled for life. Bing bong, so simple.

Vas, I'll almost certainly be in DC for the Army 10 Miler in October.

Punch me in the spine so I, too, can get those sweet disability bucks.

But first, please give me a tour of the Pentagon because that would be dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Godholio posted:

The gently caress was a Patriot gonna do here?

Shoot down another airliner in protest, obviously.