Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

fknlo posted:

https://twitter.com/RobertMLee/status/1212928896745775104?s=20

Outside of whatever is going to happen on the ground over there, I'd imagine that some cyber warfare stuff is going to be the biggest way they can hit back right?

Yes. And Iran has already shown they have the ability to launch fairly sophisticated cyberwarfare attacks, such as the 2012 usage of the Shamoon virus on SaudiAramco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Chichevache posted:

Apparently you had to link your sa username to access the discord or something. I dunno. I dont use discord because I'm an old.

Some of the goon discords use a authentication bot to keep non-goons out or to keep banned users from rejoining (eg a game one I'm on started using it after a goon was kicked for being a transphobe and then started spamming the server), from what I've been told the nazis had apparently compromised the bot and were/are using it to spy on the servers because the bot can see everything including private mod/whatever channels.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Eulogistics posted:

When I was in PATRIOT, only the officer declares that a target can be engaged. The enlisted guy only confirms it and presses "fire missile". I wonder if Iran has a similar 2 man system.

From what I've been reading, the SA-15/Tor (which is what looks like was used going by photos of the missile debris) can be set to automatically launch on anything that flies into it's envelope and doesn't have friendly IFF codes, since it's a short ranged system designed to knock down low level aircraft/helicopters or cruise missiles, due to the short time it would have to engage, so there's a chance nobody even pressed a button.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Arrath posted:

Truly a useful feature to engage on a system in proximity to an... *checks notes* International Airport.

:psyduck:

The Russian pilot who shot down KAL 007 still insists that it was actually a military plane despite saying he saw airline livery, nav lights, lighted windows, and people inside it IIRC. Never know when those fiendish amerikkkans are gonna turn a random Boeing into a bomber for a sneak attack!

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Did they ever remove the pregnant child rape one or are they still refusing to remove some libertarian's jackoff fantasies?

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/23/revealed-the-true-identity-of-the-leader-of-americas-neo-nazi-terror-group

quote:

The Guardian has learned the true identity of the leader and founder of the US-based neo-Nazi terror network the Base, which was recently the target of raids by the FBI after an investigation into domestic terrorism uncovered their plans to start a race war.

Members of the group stand accused of federal hate crimes, murder plots and firearms offenses, and have harbored international fugitives in recent months.

The Base’s leader previously operated under the aliases “Norman Spear” and “Roman Wolf”. Members of the network do not know his true identity due to the group’s culture of internal secrecy.

But the Guardian can reveal that “Norman Spear” is in fact US-born Rinaldo Nazzaro, 46, who has a long history of advertising his services as an intelligence, military and security contractor. He has claimed, under his alias, to have served in Russia and Afghanistan.

The revelation of his identity comes after a months-long investigation by the Guardian into Nazzaro and the activities of the Base.

While Nazzaro’s most recently used address is in New Jersey, there is evidence supporting his claims of being based in Russia, where he lives with his Russian wife.

The Base – which is an approximate English translation of “al-Qaida” – began recruiting in late 2018. The white supremacy group, which has regional and international cells, extols the virtues of an all-out race war while specifically targeting African Americans and Jewish people.

Using encrypted apps, members of the highly organized group planned terror campaigns; vandalized synagogues; established armed training camps and recruited new members.

The US attorney for Maryland, Robert K Hur, speaking after the recent arrest of three members of the Base, said that they “did more than talk – they took steps to act and act violently on their racist views”.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-51236915

quote:

The American founder of US-based militant neo-Nazi group The Base is directing the organisation from Russia, a BBC investigation has found.

Rinaldo Nazzaro, 46, who uses the aliases "Norman Spear" and "Roman Wolf", left New York for St Petersburg less than two years ago.

The Base is a major counter terrorism focus for the FBI.

Seven alleged members were charged this month with various offences, including conspiracy to commit murder.
Paramilitary training

Court documents prepared by the FBI describe The Base as a "racially motivated violent extremist group" that "seeks to accelerate the downfall of the United States government, incite a race war, and establish a white ethno-state".

The group - founded around July 2018 - gains followers online, communicates using encrypted messaging applications, and encourages members to engage in paramilitary training.

The leader's real identity had long been a mystery.

However, multiple images and videos of Nazzaro - taken over several years in both the USA and Russia - show the man known to be The Base founder, who goes by the two aliases.

He has previously used photographs of himself when promoting the group online

Last year Nazzaro was listed as a guest at a Russian government security exhibition in Moscow, which "focused on the demonstration of the results of state policy and achievements".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's what the founding fathers envisioned [citation needed]

Well historically militia have always tended to be armed gangs of drunken braggarts who considered dueling each other over perceived slights to their honor to be a far more important use of their time than "serving the state."