Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

mlmp08 posted:

The occasional derail like cops, taxes, or the best type of taco filling.

Deep fried avocado chunks with dark beer and garlic panko breading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

stealie72 posted:

Where does one find this, because it sounds incredible.

Maybe rogue taprooms, i got it from a cookbook by someone who used to cook there. It's loving amazing. Use avocados that are slightly underripe so they still have a bit of firmness after frying when you bite into them.

https://www.craftbeer.com/recipes/beer-battered-fried-avocado-tacos-with-sriracha-curtido

Ingredients

Curtido

1/2 head green cabbage, shredded (about 4 cups)

1 small red onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced

1 large carrot, grated

1/2 cup water

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar

1/4 cup Sriracha

2 tsp dried Mexican oregano

2 tsp sugar

2 tsp fine sea salt

Beer-Battered Fried Avocados

2 cups strong amber ale (such as Arrogant Bastard Ale or Lagunitas Brown Shugga’)

2 cups all-purpose flour

2 Tbsp garlic powder

2 tsp baking powder

2 tsp fine sea salt

1 tsp freshly ground black pepper

2 cups panko bread crumbs

2 large, ripe Hass avocados

Extra-virgin olive oil or vegetable oil, for frying

8 or 16 small corn tortillas, warmed

Fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish

Directions

Curtido

Boil about four cups of water. Put the cabbage, onion and carrot in a large mixing bowl and toss to combine. Pour in the boiling water and let stand for five minutes. Drain well.

In a small saucepan, combine the half cup water, vinegar, Sriracha, oregano, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from the heat and stir to ensure that the sugar and salt have dissolved. Pour over the drained cabbage mixture and toss to combine.

Let cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate until ready to use. (This can be made up to one week in advance and gets better after sitting for a day or two.)

Fried Avocados

Put the amber ale, flour, garlic powder, baking powder, salt and pepper in a bowl and whisk to combine. Prepare a deep fryer by filling it with oil to the manufacturer’s suggested fill level. (Alternatively, use a wide, deep cast-iron or other heavy pan with oil to a depth of 2-3 inches, but no more than halfway up the side of the pan.) Heat the oil to 375°F.

Spread the panko in a shallow baking dish. Cut the avocados in half, remove the pit, and scoop out the flesh, keeping it intact. Slice each half into four pieces.

Dunk the slices into the amber ale mixture, shake off any excess, and then roll each piece in the panko.

Carefully lower into the oil and fry until deep golden brown and crispy, 3-5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and immediately season lightly with salt and pepper.

Now assemble the tacos. I like to stack two tortillas per taco, but you’re welcome to use only one if that’s your preference. Either way, top with two hot avocado slices.

Using tongs, lift a big mound of the curtido from its pickling bath, give it a quick shake to ditch some of the liquid, and pile it atop the avocado. Garnish with cilantro and serve immediately.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Slim Pickens posted:

it's even vegan

*Wink*

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

I make leftover veggie soup like every other week in my pressure cooker. Throw some oil in, add chopped garlic, onion, carrot, and celery in, top with salt, brown everything, then add a few quarts of veggie broth, all the rest of whatever veggies you have in the fridge that are about to go off, a bit more salt and pepper + whatever spices and herbs you like, toss a cup of rice or barley in, close the lid, and hit the soup button. Half hour later you're in business with leftovers for 2-3 days. Add a can of full fat coconut milk if you want it to stick to your ribs a bit more.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Thwomp posted:

Make your own beef broth/stock. It’s that simple.

The rest is just chopped/sliced ingredients all thrown in a bowl.

If there is any secret, it’s hoisin sauce added to great stock.

Engh. You also need to char your aromatics (garlic, ginger, onion), and good spices for a pho flavor (star anise, cinnamon, etc).

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I've got a slow cooker and an immersion circulator that I use occasionally, but honestly my workhorse for a while has been a simple cast iron skillet. The only real downside is coating my entire kitchen with a thin layer of aerosolized oil.

Yeah, 90% of my cooking is done in one of three things: Cast iron skillet, pressure cooker, or 6 cup saucepan.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

ManMythLegend posted:

Add my name to the list of ardent cast iron supporters. We've been using it almost exclusively for years now.

If you want to be serious about it, make sure you get at least 1 enameled pot/dutch oven so that you can handle acidic foods.

I have a lodge porcelain coated cast iron Dutch oven and it's fantastic for baking bread with nice crispy crust in.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Apparently the best seasoning you can do is flaxseed oil. Smooth as hell and virtually bulletproof. Link to a blog post on the science and a step by step how to:

http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

My wife's dumbass nephew is only two years into his USMC contract as a fuel pumper.

Goddamn it.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

McNally posted:

Surely we'll have different results from sticking our dick into the same hornet's nest THIS time!

Swings hammer *whack whack whack whack*

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

.... Probably not very likely.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Yeah I'm just feeling a little bit excitable I think. The fact that things have escalated so quickly from the other day is pretty disconcerting

To be clear I didn't mean Iran baiting the US to kill their top guy but some kind of lesser response. I realize that they like to talk poo poo but tweeting about how President Trump can't respond to your aggression seems like such an obvious mistake. Goading someone as petty as Trump without wanting him to respond doesn't make much sense.

The simple explanation is Iranian leadership post poo poo talking for the exact same reason US leadership does that, which is because people tend to poo poo talk people they don't like and it plays well with their political supporters.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

I think those recently released Afghanistan papers amply demonstrate that no one in the US military or political leadership for the last twenty years has any long term plan for success. It's all just an ouroboros of rear end covering and dead brown people.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Yeah Carlson has been going for European style right wing nationalism for a while now. Not necessarily opposed to government handouts even, so long as they go to the right (white) people.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Tech Bros will be there just like the libertarians (a minority of the coalition that lends "respectable" cover to the base), but the majority of their financial base will still be relatively well off racist white people, most major corporations, and their voting base will be white nationalists/supremacists convinced that people darker than them are why their lives keep getting more miserable.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

MA-Horus posted:

This is beyond Clancy now holy poo poo, the literal thing people were making GBS threads on Jack Ryan for happened IRL and nothing happened wtf

I think the main thing people were making GBS threads on Jack Ryan for was the good guys CIA helping out the vaguely leftist opposition against the right wing dictator in Venezuela.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Why are insurgents attacking military forces on a military base described as terrorists committing a terror attack?

e: Obviously the military press release is doing that, why is the news playing along?

Because as far as the news people are concerned "terrorism" is when brown people engage in violence, near as I can tell.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Detailed PPJ/FYAD/CSPAM saga stolen from another poster in CSPAM:

exact sequence of events for sa historians trying to figure out how we got here

1 i make a bad thread questioning a ban for a guy who turns out to be an unrepentant transphobe and not just an idiot who draws pretty pictures like i was assuming

2 someone points out that fyad is horrifically transphobic to a degree even worse than this one guys bad posts

3 mods spend an inordinate amount of time trying to fix fyad before lowtax finally goes gently caress it and destroys it forever

4 while this is all going on cspam gets aggressive on qcs because all this action suggests that maybe the mods will respond to complaints about cspam modding

4.1 ppj & logik gas the succ zone thread, one of the most popular threads on the forums for "forums raiding" in d&d
4.2 cspammers get angry in qcs because they do not believe this "forums raiding" justification
4.3 ppj 30 day probes benghazi 2 over getting sassed b/c he wants to give the benefit of the doubt to the op-ed of a kaiser permanante vp at pete's buttigieg's winecave fundraiser
4.4 a d&d thread full of d&ders complain about the probe and it gets rescinded

5 excessively long probations for complaining

6 cspammers forget about this for just long enough that the mods invent a stupid non solution that just makes people madder provoking angry posts yet again

7 permabans for complaining

7.1 one of the permabans is on benghazi 2, who just had that massive d&d thread that got her 30 day probe rescinded and looks suspiciously like ppj mod retribution and targeting with a bullshit leper's colony justification and proxy moderation. the permabanned post is about ppj chuckling it up in an offsite discord abusing his mod powers on benghazi 2. the permaban coincides with an unpopular mod announcement that says not to make threads about the mod announcement until qcs opens "soon"

8 cspammers forget about this for just long enough that the mods invent a stupid non solution that just makes people madder provoking angry posts yet again

9 mods inform us to be nice to party plane jones because he was hanging out in nazi discords this whole time just investigating them which proves hes our friend

10 party plan jones is permabanned

the end?

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

facialimpediment posted:

Bellingcat is very good.

https://twitter.com/pbump/status/1215705500563595265?s=19

Whole thing's worth a read really, it's not just governments that say Iran shot down that passenger plane.

I mean, i see no reason to believe it wasn't a twitchy Iranian AA, but Bellingcat is funded by the US government.

Crakkerjakk fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 10, 2020

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

The US foreign policy system (State Department, CIA, friendly allies, sympathetic billionaires, etc) sometimes shuffles money to people who say the things they want to hear, often through NGOs and think tanks.

*Shrug*

I know Bellingcat is a goon. Being a goon is not mutually exclusive with any of us getting paid (directly or via a third party) by the US for our work.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

CommieGIR posted:

What exactly what exactly is this supposed supposed to mean are you claiming that he might be a paid puppet account

No, I assume he started out a goon, blew up posting things that agreed with what the US foreign policy establishment wanted out there, and then started getting paid (via third party).

It's almost never as sinister as "we will give you one milllllliiioooonnnn dollars to say a thing and create a whole new identity for you to do so," whether it's the US foreign policy establishment or just like national news media.

Instead, it's vastly more common to say "hey, here's a guy already toeing the party line on what we want put in the world, let's hire him on and give him the tools to reach a larger audience." Same reason you don't see flaming lefties in big corporate news rooms but mysteriously ABC and CNN head honchos think Jake Tapper should be talking to a national audience.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

CommieGIR posted:

It's worth pointing out that you are specifically making claims that the Russian Gru specifically tried to make about him in order to try to cover up for his investigation about them shooting down the Boeing I don't buy that in the least he's been pretty critical of US policy in many cases and he's been doing the open source intelligence stuff a lot longer than his bellingcat stuff originally did it as his brown Moses blog

Like, back in the day, when the Soviets would respond to the US criticisms of their real human rights abuses with "and you lynch black people", they weren't wrong. They WERE commiting widespread human rights abuses, and so were we. We were trying to put the emphasis on their lovely behavior and they were trying to put the emphasis on our lovely behavior, all as part of lovely international power games.

And at the time us civil rights groups were very angry about the lynching as well.

Like sometimes various power blocks lie about what the other is doing, but it's usually far simpler for each side to point out the other's actual poo poo, because pretty much all great powers have an awful lot of poo poo they engage in.

And it's not too hard to say "gee, the reason a bunch of gulf countries, Pakistan, China, etc contribute to think tanks and NGOs is because they're trying to push Washington to do stuff that benefits them" and then follow that up with "and when the US does the same thing they have the same exact intentions."

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

CommieGIR posted:

That has very little to do with Open Source Intelligence like Bellingcat, that gives you multiple EXTERNAL and verifiable sources provided by third parties. Its one thing to repeat propaganda, its another to give you all the tools and info to critique/fact check it.

Again, I'm not saying the Iranians didn't shoot down this airliner (it's the simplest explanation) or that Russian seperatists didn't shoot down the airliner in Ukraine (seems amply documented). It's that Bellingcat tends to focus on the misdeeds of the geopolitical enemies of the US and it's allies instead of the misdeeds of the US and it's allies. That's why the US sends them money.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

It's not fair that he's cheating by promising to materially improve the lives of Americans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Yeah, if we're assigning percentage of blame Russia has to be a fraction of what's assigned to Comey's dumb rear end, and also of course Hillary herself and her campaign's choices to run up numbers (the exact same instinct that allowed Obama to beat her in the primary in 2007) instead of making sure her blue wall was actually both blue and a wall.