Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

these same idiot people are literally running around telling people they dress too slutty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

God drat that’s a good mcconnell

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lotsofluck
Nov 26, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Look can we just close this thread and make the Political Cartoons 2021 thread. In fact, here is a title for this thread: Political Cartoons 2021: We Have Vaccines Now, We Just Aren't Sure Who Won The Election

And don't forget to make a 2020 Gaybies page.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Kchama posted:

This is true, but Gene was especially so. It was really at odds with his utopian ideals, but it was what it was.

Gene Roddenberry was not H.P. Lovecraft; there was nothing exceptional about his sexism or bigotry in the context of his time, and especially his contemporaries in science fiction. Asimov and Heinlein wrote about utopian futures, too, and I wouldn't want to be a young woman in an elevator with them either.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Sarcastr0 posted:

This is becoming the new thing already on the right - the media is already helping Bidden by not reporting the same crazy stuff that was true about Trump!

The sad thing is that this is true. You know that there's a credible sexual assault allegation against him that has been completely buried for months, right?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

there wolf posted:

Gene Roddenberry was not H.P. Lovecraft; there was nothing exceptional about his sexism or bigotry in the context of his time, and especially his contemporaries in science fiction. Asimov and Heinlein wrote about utopian futures, too, and I wouldn't want to be a young woman in an elevator with them either.

There's this thing with some white male science fiction authors where they can never be wrong about anything.
I hope society is moving away from that.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Henny Beaumont on Covid overwhelming the NHS – Plans to delay giving the second dose of a Covid vaccine to more than 500,000 people who have received the first jab have caused outcry among doctors, who say cancelling appointments wastes time"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by
I don't think much of this political compass, Kier is the only one they got right.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Fister Roboto posted:

The sad thing is that this is true. You know that there's a credible sexual assault allegation against him that has been completely buried for months, right?

That's true, but like, the media also stopped caring about that wave of sexual assault allegations against Trump a week after they happened, so it's not some special treatment they're giving Biden.

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

While we're all still here, did anyone know this guy's still going?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Political Cartoons 2021: the world today just nuts

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:
All cartoons today are about changing a word in the national anthem: Historic change to Advance Australia Fair, Australia's national anthem, in the 'spirit of unity' (ABC)

Broelman:

Knight:

States are closing borders again as the clusters in NSW and Victoria spread.

Leak, Son of Leak:

Kudelka:

The Uluru Statement from the Heart was a document on constitutional recognition released by the First Nations National Constitutional Recognition after lengthy community consultation that the government commissioned and then chucked in the bin.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Oregano is uh not going to just give you a placebo effect.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Will it actually get you high or will you just die or something?

Lychnis
Jul 22, 2015

Flowers are beautiful, and smell nice.
I am infinitely relieved to see that I am not the only person here sad enough to have checked out Sinfest yesterday because I was curious as to where the New Year storyline was going. (Answer: nowhere, for now) I was feeling really weird about that. I feel much less alone now...

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

2020 is going to be a reoccurring character for the next two years.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

By popular demand posted:

There's this thing with some white male science fiction authors where they can never be wrong about anything.
I hope society is moving away from that.

Gene was definitely wrong about a lot of things. But that other poster was right in that he wasn't exceptional in his wrongness for his time. He just wasn't exceptional in his rightness about them (women, especially), either, like some of his contemporaries were.

Which sucks, obviously.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Elysiume posted:

Will it actually get you high or will you just die or something?

It’s been awhile since I looked it up but extremely unpleasant high with a side of organ damage risk. A lot of the culinary herbs have toxic intake levels that get way lower if you’re not eating them.

Edit: nope, my bad- oregano can potentially be carcinogenic as smoked but does not produce a high. I was thinking of nutmeg.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 2, 2021

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Lotsofluck posted:

Look can we just close this thread and make the Political Cartoons 2021 thread.

2020 will never end, the thread is just reflecting this

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

That kid's gotta be what, six or seven at the oldest? None of those are age appropriate picks, the kids need a lot more context to make sense of them.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Angepain posted:

The 2020s are bad and few of us will see the end of them.

Because it'll just be straight to global warming's famine crisis.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

It’s been awhile since I looked it up but extremely unpleasant high with a side of organ damage risk. A lot of the culinary herbs have toxic intake levels that get way lower if you’re not eating them.

Edit: nope, my bad- oregano can potentially be carcinogenic as smoked but does not produce a high. I was thinking of nutmeg.

I was wondering if that was what you were thinking of. Nutmeg as a drug is hilarious because 1) you need to ingest an absurd amount, like half a dozen whole nutmegs worth of powder and 2) literally every single trip report I've seen agrees that there's absolutely no pleasant aspects, it just makes you feel like hell for an evening like a really bad hangover.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Keiya posted:

That kid's gotta be what, six or seven at the oldest? None of those are age appropriate picks, the kids need a lot more context to make sense of them.

To conservatives, public school students are in a constant superposition between pure, innocent baby children who must not be corrupted by swear words and sex education, and hideous brainwashed spoiled proto-Marxists who are probably even okay with gay marriage. Use whichever version will win you the argument you're having in your head with the school board.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Sarcastr0 posted:

This is becoming the new thing already on the right - the media is already helping Bidden by not reporting the same crazy stuff that was true about Trump!

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1343978275748671489

it's amazing that Republicans support not just criminal billionaire Donald Trump, but also his idiot sons.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Abyssal Squid posted:

I was wondering if that was what you were thinking of. Nutmeg as a drug is hilarious because 1) you need to ingest an absurd amount, like half a dozen whole nutmegs worth of powder and 2) literally every single trip report I've seen agrees that there's absolutely no pleasant aspects, it just makes you feel like hell for an evening like a really bad hangover.

Nutmeg's also an abortifacient (don't use it for this it may kill you). Lots of herbs have weird and surprising and unpleasant effects if used outside a limited culinary context.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Abyssal Squid posted:

The only reason to use nutmeg as a drug and not a seasoning is if you're in prison and going through extreme heroin withdrawal and have access to literally nothing else to soothe your pain, and even then it's only going to help very slightly and you're still going to feel terrible and get very sick and spew from both ends.

So, yeah the best thing that can be said about nutmeg as a drug is "It's a little better than extreme heroin withdrawal, but not very and you're still going to feel violently ill in truly horrible ways."

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jan 2, 2021

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

quote:

The political cartoons of Ben Garrison
AMERICA’S CONFRONTATION WITH THE DERANGED ID OF THE CONSERVATIVE FEVER SWAMP.

A Twitter search for “Ben Garrison” and “horny” yields many, many results. The conservative political cartoonist and eccentric 63-year-old Montanan has a penchant for, shall we say, oversexualizing his subjects, men and women alike: See a laughably chiseled Trump sporting a six-pack in the boxing ring against Joe Biden, or his aggressively crude depiction of a crop-topped Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez tending bar. Beyond being just libidinal Mad-style caricatures, they’re the most obvious reflection of the uncontrollable, raging id underlying Garrison’s uber-right-wing ideology.

Garrison’s outlook is extreme. Sometimes it manifests in a manner that’s just cartoonishly unrealistic, like his depictions of a granite-jawed and resolute Trump-as-ubermensch. Sometimes it’s downright psychedelic, like his hallucinatory depiction of a sentient, “Swamp Thing”-like Deep State surrounded by an inscrutable assortment of monsterized conservative boogeymen. And sometimes it’s just plain racist, as in his grotesque comparison of Michelle Obama to Melania Trump. For his excess and extremism, Garrison earned a legion of fans on the so-called “alt-right,” although he’s attempted to disavow them.

In that light, Garrison’s cartoons might seem like offensive curios not worthy of inclusion on a list such as this one, given their status at the fringes of acceptable speech. The catch: There’s nothing fringe about their aesthetic.

Spend any amount of time on various popular far-right Facebook groups, and you’ll find photoshops 10 times as offensive as Garrison’s depiction of the Obamas, and memes so crudely drawn they make Garrison look like Herblock by comparison. The vitriol and contempt for all outside the far-right tent ferments on forums and comments sections, but eventually leaches through to the mainstream: See the “Trump that bitch” T-shirts popular at the outgoing president’s 2016 campaign rallies, or Donald Trump Jr.’s posting to Instagram a bizarre photoshop featuring his father as the Trump-era meme icon Pepe.

Garrison is the Matisse of the conservative fever swamps, refining ever so slightly the racial and psychosexual pathologies at the heart of far-right meme culture to make them resemble—if you squint—something like mainstream political art.

Source

Lotsofluck
Nov 26, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Angepain posted:

No, it did end, you guys just don't understand. And where the hell is the Gaybies 2020? And can somebody make the Political Cartoons 2021 thread?

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Angepain posted:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I’ll make a new thread tonight, I guess.

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

Pants Donkey posted:

I’ll make a new thread tonight, I guess.

IKs have lives as well, presumably

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Fun fact: an American currently aged 65 years old has spent a full 2/3 of their life in a world where Star Wars exists.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Hitler B. Natural posted:

IKs have lives as well, presumably
I used to make the thread each year, but took a break from it. I don’t think an IK has ever made the thread?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Nicola Jennings on Gavin Williamson's latest U-turn — All primary schools in London are set to close for the start of the new term after the government bowed to protests and legal pressure from the capital’s local authorities"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Political Cartoons 2021: No Idiot Kings, No Masters

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Politoons 2021: It Is Bizarro

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Nutmeg's also an abortifacient (don't use it for this it may kill you). Lots of herbs have weird and surprising and unpleasant effects if used outside a limited culinary context.

A huge number of spices and herbs that we value have flavour imparted by compounds created by the plant to protect itself, from insects or fungus or disease or generally being eaten.

We are just very weird creatures that like to put small amounts of poison in our food on purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

RoboRodent posted:

We are just very weird creatures that like to put small amounts of poison in our food on purpose.

I can just imagine the chili pepper feeling so loving smug after evolving capsaicin to avoid being eaten by mammals, only to realize that that made it more desirable to humans.