Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Hi Marines, I was once in the Chair Force and did a TDY with you guys in Okinawa, you showed me all the cool and bizarre strip clubs/bars/shows there and it was.....interesting :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Hi Marines, I was once in the Chair Force and did a TDY with you guys in Okinawa, you showed me all the cool and bizarre strip clubs/bars/shows there and it was.....interesting :v:

Did you see the banana show?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Mr. Nice! posted:

Never eat the banana.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

bird food bathtub posted:

Never eat the banana.

no balls

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
I didn't catch any banana shows or donkey shows while I was in

.. must've been too busy putting on freedom shows.

*racks M-16 and throws soccer balls at the locals*

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

can I get a hell yea

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

"Oh, good, more incoming. I hope a loving mortar hits me this time because gently caress this."

-Freedom Show

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

PathAsc posted:

"Oh, good, more incoming. I hope a loving mortar hits me this time because gently caress this."

-Freedom Show

I specifically requested a hell yea

I say again,

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Gunnery Sergeant Vermis is about to go to morning formation.

He’s taken aside by the company commander, 1st Lieutenant Stone.

Stone tells him, “Gunny, this is bad news, but PFC Walters’ father is dead. I need you to deliver the news to him.”

Vermis goes to formation, and after calling the company to attention, he screams, at max volume (YERT) “We have some announcements!”

“First, we have an exercise coming up. We’ll all be in the field for the next two weeks.”

“Second, PFC Walters, your mother is dead.”

Lt. Stone is horrified, and later takes Vermis aside.

“I am deeply disappointed with how you handled that.

Thankfully, the Corps now has sensitivity training, which you’ll be attending, starting tomorrow. I hope it helps you to be a better leader.”

*Three week go by*

Vermis, having graduated from mandatory sensitivity training, is back, and he’s headed to formation again.

Lt. Stone greets him.

“Welcome back, Gunny! How was sensitivity training?”

Vermis replies, “Excellent, sir. I’m much more capable now of leading the men.”

Stone says “I’m glad to hear that, because now Lance Corporal Davis’ mother has died, and I need you to break the news to him.”

“Aye-aye, Sir,” barks Vermis.

Minutes later, at formation, Vermis opens by screaming “All of you with living mothers, take one step forward!

WHOA! Wait just a loving minute, Davis, what in the gently caress do you think you’re doing?!”

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

MrMojok posted:

Gunnery Sergeant Vermis is about to go to morning formation.

He’s taken aside by the company commander, 1st Lieutenant Stone.

Stone tells him, “Gunny, this is bad news, but PFC Walters’ father is dead. I need you to deliver the news to him.”

Vermis goes to formation, and after calling the company to attention, he screams, at max volume (YERT) “We have some announcements!”

“First, we have an exercise coming up. We’ll all be in the field for the next two weeks.”

“Second, PFC Walters, your mother is dead.”

Lt. Stone is horrified, and later takes Vermis aside.

“I am deeply disappointed with how you handled that.

Thankfully, the Corps now has sensitivity training, which you’ll be attending, starting tomorrow. I hope it helps you to be a better leader.”

*Three week go by*

Vermis, having graduated from mandatory sensitivity training, is back, and he’s headed to formation again.

Lt. Stone greets him.

“Welcome back, Gunny! How was sensitivity training?”

Vermis replies, “Excellent, sir. I’m much more capable now of leading the men.”

Stone says “I’m glad to hear that, because now Lance Corporal Davis’ mother has died, and I need you to break the news to him.”

“Aye-aye, Sir,” barks Vermis.

Minutes later, at formation, Vermis opens by screaming “All of you with living mothers, take one step forward!

WHOA! Wait just a loving minute, Davis, what in the gently caress do you think you’re doing?!”

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Victor Vermis posted:

can I get a hell yea

is it a war crime if it’s a free fire zone?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yes I did.

And also "The Stage" which was :stare:

Never eat the banana.

The banana was definitely eaten by the marines, they were fighting over it actually :v:

[e] hell yea

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Oct 7, 2023

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Doc was already outside with his gallon of penicillin, unit readiness is sacred.

Except when it's not lol, now go break your knees on the moto hump immediately before deployment

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

PathAsc posted:

Doc was already outside with his gallon of penicillin, unit readiness is sacred.

Except when it's not lol, now go break your knees on the moto hump immediately before deployment

There are no poisonous spiders here what do you mean you wanna get checked out for a spider bite……oh you stupid bitch. *looks at adjacent PFC* You too! Thought you were a Christian man. The gently caress. Alright come on back.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

TheWeedNumber posted:

There are no poisonous spiders here what do you mean you wanna get checked out for a spider bite……oh you stupid bitch. *looks at adjacent PFC* You too! Thought you were a Christian man. The gently caress. Alright come on back.

*bore-check noises at maximum volume*

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

https://youtube.com/shorts/yZQHJIUL0EE

seemed a fitting place for this video.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL
Since we're deployed here now, has anyone found the Humvee key yet?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

PFC Shmuckatelli dropped it in the oil trap at Motor T, I sent the idiot who got his third DUI to go find it lol.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

fcuk yuo I'm still workin on Math for Marines... This subforum has oil right? Have we liberated it yet?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'll have to ask the person in charge of this here forum

Umm.... hi Marines? Show us your car ... or cute pets?

Ok fine, just remember he's not in cat jail or on restriction he just likes his carrier.

Huh, that's wierd, I keep replying to people with cat names...

Steezo fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Oct 12, 2023

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I imagine they do oil changes around here. We should send a supply guy outside the wire to tactically acquire some motorpool gear. Probably filters or belts or something we need and I want to get out of formation on time one of these days.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
Hey got a number from some guys at the race. They saying we can make a quick buck if a few M4s go missing. They also asked if we got anyone at the wing who does Space A poo poo on the reg. My wife took my whole check because I hosed her bestie last threesome so I’m kinda broke.

Yeah man it’s right here bro. Just call this dude Lalin and he said he’ll put us on.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

Aaarroooorah

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I am *not* buffing out the scratches for little dog clicky clacky nails.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
My A driver is a terrible driver, but good to have along anyway.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Never eat the banana.

Things I never thought I'd overhear in medical:
"Who did you go to TJ with? There's no other way to get clap in your throat except eating the banana. Unless you have a coherent explanation right now backed up by witnesses."
Followed by a list of names.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Things I never thought I'd overhear in medical:
"Who did you go to TJ with? There's no other way to get clap in your throat except eating the banana. Unless you have a coherent explanation right now backed up by witnesses."
Followed by a list of names.

nooooooooooo

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

We are not a smart collection of people lol

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

PathAsc posted:

We are not a smart collection of people lol

Look man so long as you're good at killin people you dont gotta be a lot of things. Rah?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Serious auto-related post since we're here and all: MY WIFE is looking into used EVs because her 2012 impreza is acting pretty rough in its old age. I don't know poo poo about EVs used or otherwise (except that musk and teslas are lol) and I have a bunch of questions. Is this a good time to look into a used one, or is it worth waiting a few years? Will I have to rewire my garage to include an EV charger, and if so, is that something you can hire out or get tax breaks for? Are there specific models of used EVs to avoid or look into? For context she drives about a mile and back to work each day, and travels about 50 miles once or twice a month to visit her mom (and we go on regional vacations only a few times a year) so there isn't a lot of mileage here.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I wouldn't mind knowing a lot of the same things. I drive about 3 miles each way to work and electricity is included in our rent so having "fuel" be covered by the landlords would be awesome. I'm pretty sure with the minimal amount of driving I would do on the vehicle a normal wall outlet charge speed would be plenty, and also my limit as we're renting and can't re-wire anything.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Some EV's are great. Most are awful. Most used EV's are the awful sort. I think the Ford Escape PHEV is the only non-poo poo one that qualifies for the partial tax credit. Barring other considerations just buy a Toyota Prius Prime.

You can charge your EV slowly through a regular outlet, or at a respectable pace through a 240Vac/50A split phase charger. Installing these often also has an associated tax credit.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Eason the Fifth posted:

Serious auto-related post since we're here and all: MY WIFE is looking into used EVs because her 2012 impreza is acting pretty rough in its old age. I don't know poo poo about EVs used or otherwise (except that musk and teslas are lol) and I have a bunch of questions. Is this a good time to look into a used one, or is it worth waiting a few years? Will I have to rewire my garage to include an EV charger, and if so, is that something you can hire out or get tax breaks for? Are there specific models of used EVs to avoid or look into? For context she drives about a mile and back to work each day, and travels about 50 miles once or twice a month to visit her mom (and we go on regional vacations only a few times a year) so there isn't a lot of mileage here.

Is this a good time to get a used one: not really, but better then it has been in the past. Up until recently it made more sense to buy new based on incentives.

Will I need to rewire my garage: you'll probably want to, there are manufacturer, local and federal rebates and incentives you'll have to comb through to figure out if you qualify. If you have a 200A panel in your garage, putting an EVSE (what the adapter "box" for charging is called) should be cheap and easy. Though with how little your wife drives, plugging into a regular outlet (level 1 charging) would be a good bet.

For your wife's use case: a used EV sounds like a decent option!

If you want to avoid Elonmobiles, and you're looking for something cheap, I'd recommend a Chevy Bolt. proper battery cooling, good range, most batteries are only a couple years old because of a recall, good options packages cons: narrow and cramped, ugly, made by GM, slow DC fast charging rate.

BMW i3: ugly as sin, cool little car though, suits your wife's purpose, still a BMW on the inside, so nice.

Avoid: Nissan Leaf, they have battery cooling and degradation issues, though that might be tolerable with how little your wife drives, lovely little cars besides the range issue.

Other cars to look at:
-Hyundai Ioniq5/Kia EV 6 (same car, different look)
-Mustang Mach E
-Volkswagen ID.4

Though those are all newish so I dunno if you can find a good deal.

Ask the EV thread in this here forum, and you'll get some other opinions!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The first question you are generally going to get is: “what’s wrong with her current car?”

It will almost certainly be a better idea financially to spend money repairing her current car.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The first question you are generally going to get is: “what’s wrong with her current car?”

It will almost certainly be a better idea financially to spend money repairing her current car.

Im sure youre right, but (contrary to the marine stereotype I guess) I'm not a car guy really so I can't say if theres anything majorly wrong with it or if she just wants to get in on the EV thing. The totality of my EV experience is texting exploding firey musk cars to my friend who owns a tesla so I figured I'd ask AI for the 101 on EV basics so I can pretend I know what I'm talking about the next time my wife brings it up.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Step 1 is definitely figure out what’s wrong with the car. A ten year old car typically has worn shocks, suspension bushings, tie rod ends, all kinds of stuff that makes the car feel and drive lovely. It probably needs various fluids changed that also impact how it drives and shifts and whatnot. These are all things that either should be done regularly or if done once will last another decade.

Everyone else has kind of given you the skinny on the used EV market which is: no. Comedy idea: fiat 500e. They are short ranged and kind of junky but could fit a commuter appliance use case very very cheaply. Also the fiat CEO begged people not to buy them. Leaf could be a decent idea if you can deal with very short range.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Ok, Marines, time to come home.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
surely they get a brief trip to T&T to get drunk at whatever the forums equivalent of Manas International is before shipping back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I dunno maybe things are different for Marines but things tended to suck less on deployment for me. Garrison gently caress-gently caress games just running rampant, making life suck.