Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
That one always surprised me - you'd think these groups would worry more about kids doing dumb poo poo out of peer pressure. Is that a more recent sort of moral panic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It was the 80s, the worry at that point was more that kids might not conform to what they're supposed to say and do and pick up subversive, possibly communist thoughts.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
My grandma in the UK had a tape of an episode of one of those garbage cartoons, aptly titled the Getalong Gang. She did also have some cooler shows that aged way better though, like old UK Cartoon Captain Zed and the Zee Zone, which is far more interesting and expands it's lore well in the 10 episodes that survive of it (it's basically lost media, this playlist is the best preservation it has now: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7xBRbHI5IpiXo6UiYLqs1PPVi9hJeG23).

However, the latter is about Dream Cops making sure dreams don't turn into nightmares, so given that ACAB your mileage may vary :P An aspect I like is that they can't just jump in, they have to be actively asked for help. If the kid doesn't ask, they have to deal with their nightmare themselves which gives them some agency, and results in interesting episodes like one in which a kid doesn't realise he's in a nightmare because the evil dream people are basically grooming him until they can fully turn on him and make their plan obvious, so Zed is powerless to help for most of the episode.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Dec 30, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

You bring that one up at every opportunity, and I don't blame ya, it's a fun concept.

Quite a few shows had those PSAs as literal requirements for airing, especially if they want to pass as 'educational content'. Like the first couple seasons of My Little Pony FiM. Weirdly enough, the 00s He-Man reboot also had the end of episode PSAs.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You bring that one up at every opportunity, and I don't blame ya, it's a fun concept.

Quite a few shows had those PSAs as literal requirements for airing, especially if they want to pass as 'educational content'. Like the first couple seasons of My Little Pony FiM. Weirdly enough, the 00s He-Man reboot also had the end of episode PSAs.

I was trying to remember where I had been reading retrospectives on stuff like the Get Along Gang fairly recently and just realized it was because I was researching it myself as part of an article I was writing about MLP lol. Because the way the first season of that show is written is as a self-help series for kids, a primer on social skills, often with some rather subtle and delicate things to say like "sometimes someone is just an rear end in a top hat and it isn't worth it trying to get along with them". I found it extremely refreshing coming from my 80s framework

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
There was a show I’m not sure very many people watched that I adored as a kid called Mighty Max, which also had the “wow wasn’t that nuts, now, let’s learn about Ancient Egypt” PSA’s at the end. They were cool!

It had Tony Jay as an old, genius chicken man, Tim Curry as legally distinct from Skeletor villain Skullmaster and just in general a way better voice cast than it had any right to have. Jim Cummings did occasional villain of the week appearance and always smashed it.

Real Cool Catfish fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Dec 30, 2023

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
mighty max was polly pocket for boys and yes i watched it. i just remember his hat was a big deal

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
The fun fact I always remember about Mighty Max is that it has BAD END, TRY AGAIN in the last episode and the hero goes backwards in a time loop to the first episode to start over.

Which is loving goddamn brilliant since they knew it was a syndicated series, and every time the last episode aired it would be followed by the first one on the next airdate.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Mighty Max was surprisingly good for a show based on boy polly pocket. those playsets sucked but the cartoon ruled.

there were a few episodes that really stuck with me for a long time, like the episode with the cthulhu zombie monster thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHs_e7rKsdk&hd=1

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The playsets were awesome, I had the shark one.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The playsets were awesome, I had the shark one.

gently caress yeah, the shark one was the best, I think I had the skull one and the spider one too, but the shark fins that detached and became enemy ships or whatever were great.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

YaketySass posted:

That one always surprised me - you'd think these groups would worry more about kids doing dumb poo poo out of peer pressure. Is that a more recent sort of moral panic?

Iirc there's a couple different modes of this: cartoons made with alongside some third party authority (such as a child psychiatrist or the like) hired by the producers to dodge criticisms of being a toy commercial, cartoons made alongside input from a parental group to dodge criticisms of being anti-social, and toys made with no input from anyone but which still had a moral message at the end because after enough years of that BS it just became the thing you did.

(Source: my dad worked at PBS and he had some vocal opinions on cartoons.)

Whatever message a cartoon is going to (claim to) impart is going to depend on whoever's personal bugbear, which may or may not actually mirror a dominant concern in the wider culture and can easily be contradictory between different cartoons (or different episodes of the same cartoon).

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Captain Invictus posted:

Mighty Max was surprisingly good for a show based on boy polly pocket. those playsets sucked but the cartoon ruled.
wrong

i still got the big purple fly from one of them sitting on my shelf

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Schwarzwald posted:

Iirc there's a couple different modes of this: cartoons made with alongside some third party authority (such as a child psychiatrist or the like) hired by the producers to dodge criticisms of being a toy commercial, cartoons made alongside input from a parental group to dodge criticisms of being anti-social, and toys made with no input from anyone but which still had a moral message at the end because after enough years of that BS it just became the thing you did.

(Source: my dad worked at PBS and he had some vocal opinions on cartoons.)

Whatever message a cartoon is going to (claim to) impart is going to depend on whoever's personal bugbear, which may or may not actually mirror a dominant concern in the wider culture and can easily be contradictory between different cartoons (or different episodes of the same cartoon).

C.O.P.S. was a funny once since some of the PSA segments would be done by the villains, completely straight faced, with not-Kingpin delivering the one for 'Don't flash cash around in public, people might try to take it from you'.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

BioEnchanted posted:

My grandma in the UK had a tape of an episode of one of those garbage cartoons, aptly titled the Getalong Gang.

the Getalong Gang was the one Garfield and Friends' Buddy Bears were especially satirizing. I remember one Garfield tricks them into cleaning his house without pay because when they try to counter his claim that he already paid them, that he was asking if they were disagreeing with them and thus not getting along with him. The classic of course is showing even the Buddy Bears can't agree on pizza toppings.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I finally got around to watching Ruby Gillman and it was bizarre, like I was watching the whole thing sped up by 15% or 20%. There was zero breathing room for jokes, emotional beats, anything. It was actually making me feel anxious and almost claustrophobic because it just never loving let up.

Also not sure what the theme was? Or how krakens were any better than mermaids when everyone literally kept describing Grandma as a warlord. Or why they lived absolute dockside with ocean-themed everything if they were never supposed to go into the ocean. (They could "keep moist" a mile from the ocean or by a big lake. If anyone tripped going out the front door, they'd fall in the ocean.) And what did Ruby think she was if she didn't know she was a kraken? "You're not supposed to think about it!" is a poor excuse when it's a plot point.

Well, the scenery and transformed mermaid's hair were good as hell.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

yeah the Conehead-eseque "We come from France" explanation only works if everyone is supposed to be a blithering moron but that's not the case. And again the moral is "Your Xenophobic grandma is right" and "Pretty women are eeeeevil bitches."

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Happy New Year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmzO--ox7X0

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Ours, all ours!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Das Boo posted:

I finally got around to watching Ruby Gillman and it was bizarre, like I was watching the whole thing sped up by 15% or 20%. There was zero breathing room for jokes, emotional beats, anything. It was actually making me feel anxious and almost claustrophobic because it just never loving let up.

Also not sure what the theme was? Or how krakens were any better than mermaids when everyone literally kept describing Grandma as a warlord. Or why they lived absolute dockside with ocean-themed everything if they were never supposed to go into the ocean. (They could "keep moist" a mile from the ocean or by a big lake. If anyone tripped going out the front door, they'd fall in the ocean.) And what did Ruby think she was if she didn't know she was a kraken? "You're not supposed to think about it!" is a poor excuse when it's a plot point.

Well, the scenery and transformed mermaid's hair were good as hell.

Not to mention the whole "Sometimes racism/xenophobia is good" moral

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

wow I forgot how much Mickey brutalizes the animals

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

lmao

The Star Wars/Lion King special editions down-the-throat-cam started way early

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Lazy_Liberal posted:

wow I forgot how much Mickey brutalizes the animals

They've made him into such a harmless, inoffensive icon that it's easy to forget he used to be a real little poo poo

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Mr. Lobe posted:

They've made him into such a harmless, inoffensive icon that it's easy to forget he used to be a real little poo poo

The Mikey Mouse Shorts of the last decade had him back to being a little poo poo again.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It is 2024. Would someone care to take up the mantle as OP of an animated movie thread for 2024?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

It is 2024. Would someone care to take up the mantle as OP of an animated movie thread for 2024?

Lock this thread, reopen the 2022 thread. Just to drive what’s-his-name crazy.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Steamboat Willie literally just entered the public domain today and the crap is already spilling out of the woodwork:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=BO_yCuaXsGQ

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Qe85jZhSflk

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Good. People make bad movies all the time, they might as well be making them about the rat.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Is Mickey’s recent redesign to have something to copyright again?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Invalid Validation posted:

Maybe? But given how long it took just for Steamboat Willy to hit public domain, the previous version would have plenty of years left before Disney would have to worry (then again I don't know when exactly the various "eras" of Mickey Mouse are separated). So I think the recent redesign was an actual artistic choice, and extending copyright is just a nice bonus for them.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 2, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Invalid Validation posted:

If this is what you’re talking about it was proven to not actually be the case:

https://www.disneydining.com/fans-angry-over-disneys-new-mickey-mouse-bb1/

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mickey's been redesigned a bunch of times probably. I do get the vibe Disney kinda realises Mickey's completely lost all points of actual interest as a character and trying to do damage control but yet still has the overprotectiveness of their nebulous idea of brand identity that caused the problem in the first place.

I still say it explains so much that Disney is apparently staffed almost entirely by Disney Adults.

Logic666
Jan 2, 2024

MacheteZombie posted:

Or you can literally change the year and name of the thread...it's your choice.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
time is an illusion, this thread has and will always be

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MacheteZombie posted:

This thread has been here since 2020, just change the title like always

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Turkey in the Straw stuck in my head for days now. Fuckin banger

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Turkey in the Straw stuck in my head for days now. Fuckin banger

i can't not think of this bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox_-BOCLv8s

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Larryb posted:

This thread has been here since 2020, just change the title like always

Eh I think it's time for a reboot. There is nothing wrong with refreshing a megathread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MacheteZombie posted:

Eh I think it's time for a reboot. There is nothing wrong with refreshing a megathread.

Also fair, whatever works honestly