Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

MacheteZombie posted:

Eh I think it's time for a reboot. There is nothing wrong with refreshing a megathread.

Sucks if you want to search for something you know was posted a few years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
there is no need to reboot the thread other than to do it

leave it be

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The OP hasn't posted itt since July and the first post having a list of planned releases for the year was pretty handy imo.

E: I'd rather not edit his post to update it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I think new threads make sense for something like the Greenlight thread (which is basically the yearly movie thread) or the Seasonal Anime thread but not that significant for a thread with a general subject like this one has been for a long time.

If anyone has a list of animated films for 2024 though I'm all for seeing it though.

E. What MacheteZombie said, basically

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Animation Thread 2024: The Live-Action Remake

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I dont want to keep pushing it if thread regulars dont want a new thread but I'll add one last thing: I think one of the main pros for a refresh is that it helps draw in new posters. I've seen it posted more than once that people avoid long running threads for various reasons.

If there isn't a new thread after a couple weeks or something I'll just update the title. :cheers:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Data Graham posted:

Sucks if you want to search for something you know was posted a few years ago.

This can be mostly solved by just having links to past threads in the OP.

Source: I've managed to track down specific panels from the yearly BSS comic strip thread more than once.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
I say keep the thread title the same as long as it bothers the rereg weirdo.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

The OP hasn't posted itt since July and the first post having a list of planned releases for the year was pretty handy imo.

E: I'd rather not edit his post to update it.

Sorry about that, my year pretty much went to poo poo after July.

I'm down if someone else wants to make a new thread or if we just want to keep this one.

If we do decide to keep this, I can just update the OP.

EDIT: I can also just make a new one too if people want that.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 3, 2024

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
it's reaaaaaally not necessary to reboot a thread as tiny as this one tbh. like, the trump thread in gbs would make sense because it's got over five thousand pages. this has less than a tenth of that. especially doesn't really need a reboot if thermophysical is still around to be able to update the OP on request.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I always enjoy that new thread smell, I could write one up later.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm always anti making a new thread. This thread is fine, just update the OP and thread title

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
I'm always anti keeping the same thread!!!! new threads give me a rush

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lazy_Liberal posted:

I'm always anti keeping the same thread!!!! new threads give me a rush

Then :justpost:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Sorry about that, my year pretty much went to poo poo after July.

I'm down if someone else wants to make a new thread or if we just want to keep this one.

If we do decide to keep this, I can just update the OP.

EDIT: I can also just make a new one too if people want that.

No need to apologize! Life happens and it's just posting. Hope all is well now!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Make a new thread, but keep this one open :twisted:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Personally, I'm down with either a new group or updating this one for the new year. I do like this one because it has a ton of old posts and isn't TOO huge.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I always enjoy that new thread smell, I could write one up later.

I can make you a template of this one and DM it to you if you'd like to do it.

MacheteZombie posted:

No need to apologize! Life happens and it's just posting. Hope all is well now!

It's hopefully getting there. Thank you. :)

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Starting a new thread is like when comics companies make a new Batman #1 and pretend that it isn't just the exact same thing continuing.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I know this isn't a democracy but I am loudly stating my preference of "keep the old thread"

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
Yeah same starting a new thread is just pointless busywork

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

start a new thread then ceremoniously close it and keep using this one

mystes
May 31, 2006

repiv posted:

start a new thread then ceremoniously close it and keep using this one
Spend 2 years creating the OP for a new thread but get the mods to keep it locked so nobody can view it and then gas it without ever letting it see the light of day, and then have the forums claim it as a tax writeoff

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mystes posted:

Spend 2 years creating the OP for a new thread but get the mods to keep it locked so nobody can view it and then gas it without ever letting it see the light of day, and then have the forums claim it as a tax writeoff

new admin Jeffrey of WBD

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

So are we wanting to reuse this one? i have a new one written up if not

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Let’s compromise: make a new thread but still keep this one running, with a rule that you have to post any replies to posters in one thread in the other

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ThermoPhysical posted:

So are we wanting to reuse this one? i have a new one written up if not
for the right to rule, I'm afraid we are forced to have both threads duel with pistols at dawn

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Make a new thread but keep the old one alive and have them both run side by side. Everyone wins!

Missing Fox
Apr 19, 2015
Close the thread. Then in a year, bring it back from The Vault and reopen it with special features as an anniversary edition.

Or delete thread permanently and write it off as a tax credit.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Everyone has their own thread that only they can post in.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Missing Fox posted:

Close the thread. Then in a year, bring it back from The Vault and reopen it with special features as an anniversary edition.

New from the Disney Vault for a limited time only! Order the thread on VHS today!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Phylodox posted:

That’s already a sub-forum of PYF.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Phylodox posted:

The Jeremy Renner thread.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Wish was incomprehensible garbage, but I did get a good laugh at the idea that she looks into her grandfather’s wish bubble and it’s just goatse.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://x.com/discussingfilm/status/1745482538078904693?s=61&t=-vp9P7i8Kl2W3uKiLPEWrA

There’s a first: a year without any Disney/Pixar flicks in the running.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Also re: Wish, the whole plot revolves around the fact that the king started this utopian society to filter out legitimately bad wishes, like those that caused the war that killed his family or whatever, and then basically went mad with the power of collecting wishes. Which is fine, but then the conclusion is that everyone deserves to have their wishes, even though we know that there are legitimately bad wishes out there? So is everyone in this town just coincidentally perfect and harmonious?

Also, when they give up their wish, what exactly do they lose? Is the alternative that, upon turning eighteen, their wish would have been automatically granted? Did they not know what their wish was before they turned eighteen? Because it’s explicit that if your wish is to become a great guitar player, that happens to you instantly. And if animals and plants are capable of wishing, did he take away their wishes, too? Or does all of this only happen when a star comes out of the sky and personally sprays dust on you?

I can’t remember the last time I watched a movie and thought “wait, what?” so many times.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

That reminds me of a comic that I read and loved recently. Eight Billion Genies.

The premise is that when the eight billionth person is born, everyone gets a genie with one wish. The world instantly goes to chaos due to everyone’s wishes to be all powerful, killing other people, changing the world, etc. A number of wishes cancel out other wishes (a bunch of nation’s leaders for their country to be the best, so they’re all equally the best). You can’t wish until you’re old enough, and the genies get the general impression of what you mean (no monkey paw type stuff). A later human is later very powerful because they’re very good at rules lawyering the wishes, and grants the wishes on their behalves.

I never watched Wish, but it sounds like it’s a bad version of this comic.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah, Wish just is so flawed. It feels like they were more focused on jamming in references than making the plot coherent, or even define exactly what a wish means in the context of the story.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

IUG posted:

That reminds me of a comic that I read and loved recently. Eight Billion Genies.

The premise is that when the eight billionth person is born, everyone gets a genie with one wish. The world instantly goes to chaos due to everyone’s wishes to be all powerful, killing other people, changing the world, etc. A number of wishes cancel out other wishes (a bunch of nation’s leaders for their country to be the best, so they’re all equally the best). You can’t wish until you’re old enough, and the genies get the general impression of what you mean (no monkey paw type stuff). A later human is later very powerful because they’re very good at rules lawyering the wishes, and grants the wishes on their behalves.

I never watched Wish, but it sounds like it’s a bad version of this comic.

Absolutely loved Eight Billion Genies, and apparently they’re making a movie of it? Or a show, or something.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Absolutely loved Eight Billion Genies, and apparently they’re making a movie of it? Or a show, or something.

Amazon is planning to make both, but its starting with a movie. I don't really see how you could make a TV show out of it though. The comic series only works because the author didn't drag out things. Its too chaotic to have a long running narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone know what they want the new thread title to be?