Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Boxman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH9CBMYSyVQ

Doesn't seem like it'll be anything particularly special, but there are little bits of animation that look really good. I like that their faces look drawn on, gives the expression work a lot of pop.

This is extremely cute and reminds me a lot of Lupin, which is appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Turning Red is so good and easily my fav Pixar since Ratatouille.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I'm not sure of exactly how it worked with Frozen, but songwriting is often a collaborative effort between the script writer and the songwriter(s). I've seen some interesting early drafts of musicals where a moment that would be turned into a song is there, but in written, clunky dialogue form, and you can see where songwriters used that as a springboard. You have a story beat, and then the songwriters can sort of play with it and expand on it - it makes sense that Frozen didn't come together until Let It Go, because the tone of that song is so specific and borderline heroic, that I could see how applying it to what was meant to be a villain character would suddenly transform the entire project.

Writing lyrics without music works if you're a lyricist, because you have a sense of language and rhythm, and you're presumably working with a musician who has probably already brainstormed with you about ideas for tone. If you know that you need to write a song for an evil octopus witch who is trying to coerce a girl into giving up her voice via Faustian bargain, and maybe you've already had the suggestion of the phrase "poor unfortunate souls", then you've got a lot of context already and you now have to come up with what amounts to a rhyming monologue. It's like putting together a puzzle in that regards.

Anyways, ACAB but Animal Kingdom getting an Avatar land instead of a Zootopia land is baffling to me.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Everyone posted:

Avatar has been around longer and was a much bigger movie? I agree that Zootopia would fit in better. Hell Zootopia should be the overall model for Animal Kingdom.

Oh that's fair, and I guess the Avatar-land had been in development basically since Universal Studios announced their Harry Potter world way back in like 2008 and only opened a year after Zootopia anyways. STILL. it would be cool.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Winklebottom posted:

Laika is weird to me because Coraline and ParaNorman are some of my all-time favorites but everything they've done since is not awful but feels lacking in some way (aside from Boxtrolls, which I though was straight bad).

Their biggest flaw (outside of apparently being a lovely company) is definitely lousy scripts. Coraline in particular has a really good, tight script, and ParaNorman's is good as well, but basically everything else they've done falls into the "and then, and then, and then" style of storytelling, which is kind of a shame. Missing Link was particularly rough (and was also so polished-looking that it might as well have been CGI).

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Robindaybird posted:

Sherlock Hound is a good example of it.

And yes, it's exactly what it sounds like.

Sherlock Hound is so loving cute and has absolutely amazing designs, though it suffers from the thing where the male characters look like dogs, but the women all look like bizarre human-freak creatures. It's not the most enthralling show but there are so many moments of completely unnecessarily good animation, I think it's worth at least watching a couple of the Miyazaki episodes. It just has good vibes.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Throwing my hat into the ring to say that i would date both the wolf from bad guys and clawhauser from zootopia.

Robindaybird posted:

It's really wild how common this is, Angela from Rock and Rule, Roxanne from Goofy Movie (Beret Girl and Goofy's girlfriend in the sequel are more traditional dogface), and more I know I seen but can't recall the names of. EDIT: Yeah, I recall the earliest versions of Betty Boop was this kind of weird design but got more humanized over time (leading to the studio quietly eliminating her more dog-like boyfriend Bimbo)

Long John Silver from Treasure Planet is about the only male version of this Human-but-not type of design that I can think of.

It's an extreme example, but as a kid I found Thumbelina weirdly disturbing in particular because she (and the prince lol) are the only characters who aren't grotesque freaks. Thumbelina and Pebble and the Penguin were the first movies I remember seeing as a kid where I was like, "there's something off about this".

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

This feels like a parody.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
what if a [throws dart] elbow fell in love with a [throws another dart] buttcheek

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
If you have to abuse your workers to make a product, you're not doing a good job, regardless of how good the product is.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
A little late to the party on this one, but does anyone else think the cat design in Soul was really, really ugly?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Regalingualius posted:

All I know is that the songs apparently had lyrics so unnatural-sounding that at least some folks are legitimately wondering if it was written by an “AI”

I don't think that they were actually written by AI (well, maybe) but I totally understand this. The lyrics sound incredibly unnatural, with that weird, vague SEO-friendly tone you get when you ask AI to write something, plus there's a lot of repetition and redundancy, and then they're just plopped down on top of the melody regardless of whether it fits or not. It's the kind of song construction you're more likely to find in pop music, which is usually more passively consumed, but it makes sense that people are picking up on it since a musical number asks for your full attention.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

jesus christ these songs do not work any better with visual context

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlFvhRhY2Nc

My partner worked on this show, so I got to see quite a bit of it and I really enjoyed it, the writing has a very Charlie Kaufman tone and it goes in some really interesting directions.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
My thoughts on The Boy And The Heron are that it made me want to go watch my favorite Miyazaki films instead. It's not a bad movie but things in it kept reminding me of other things in his other movies, all of which I enjoyed more on their own terms. A whole bunch of really amazing stuff, though, I'm particularly enamored with the parakeets (I need a gif of that long vertical panning shot of their little bird society asap).

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Wish was incomprehensible garbage, but I did get a good laugh at the idea that she looks into her grandfather’s wish bubble and it’s just goatse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Also re: Wish, the whole plot revolves around the fact that the king started this utopian society to filter out legitimately bad wishes, like those that caused the war that killed his family or whatever, and then basically went mad with the power of collecting wishes. Which is fine, but then the conclusion is that everyone deserves to have their wishes, even though we know that there are legitimately bad wishes out there? So is everyone in this town just coincidentally perfect and harmonious?

Also, when they give up their wish, what exactly do they lose? Is the alternative that, upon turning eighteen, their wish would have been automatically granted? Did they not know what their wish was before they turned eighteen? Because it’s explicit that if your wish is to become a great guitar player, that happens to you instantly. And if animals and plants are capable of wishing, did he take away their wishes, too? Or does all of this only happen when a star comes out of the sky and personally sprays dust on you?

I can’t remember the last time I watched a movie and thought “wait, what?” so many times.