Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I actually saw a trailer for it, and frankly it looked pretty awful.

Granted the first movie was better than I thought it'd be but still not very great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Bogus Adventure posted:

:smith:

Oh well, at least they didn't do it to VIII.

or XI, but honestly they should've stuck to tradition - the classic kind of story DQ plays out doesn't get much use in the animation scene too much any more.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

This guy sounds like an incredible creep and probably close to being put on a list.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I feel kind of weird to admit I just find Bakshi's animation very unpleasant to look at.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The constant fidgeting, twitching, and over-exaggerated movements is why I just find Bakshi's stuff unpleasant.

Take all the animated bits in Cool World - clear executive meddling, not his vision, etc. but the animation is still his - Holly Would is constantly jerking and twitching, the animation loops are maybe 10-20 seconds at the most, and the background stuff is clearly plastered on top of the scene post-production with little effort made for the animated bits to look like they're on the 'same level' as the set and live action characters (It's unfair, but compare to the toons interact with real objects in Who Framed Roger Rabbit).

Then again, wouldn't be surprised if Bakshi wanted little to do with the live action parts as possible at that point.

When I tried to watch other things, the same 'twitching and jerking just to say this is movement' is off-putting.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Maxwell Lord posted:

animated van art

that's... honestly a perfect description of Bakshi's style

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Jon K on top of being a pedo is an incredible egomaniac and have positioned himself as the Sole Expert in animation history and what's good and not, I imagine that on top of the way he basically considers things like deadlines and consistency to be optional are what drove people away as much as he is being a creep.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The Good Dinosaur's problem is just a sheer lack of cohesion, stylized human, photorealistic background, very cartoony dino - they all look like they're from three different movies.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Probably the 'do something for the kids' though Iron Man is pretty kid-friendly.

But yeah, the jokes were virtually non-existent in the trailer and the cgi animals looked awful - the tiger in particularly looked like one of those FAO Schwarz plushes that was ran through the wash one too many times and dried badly.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

So I finally watched Castle of Caligistrato - dunno why it took me so long. - though it's the Streamline dub writing around the trademarks.

It's definitely very Miyazaki, though it's weird as hell seeing Fujiko being outright helpful and Lupin being so nice... though it sounds like the intention was this was a Lupin near the end of his career and being a little more somber and reflective. But yeah, I can definitely see where TGMD's clocktower fight came from.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

As Dathemed said, should've said the whole title name.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Pick posted:

The original Pirates of Dark Water title cel is on ebay. Just kinda cool.

god I remember watching the reruns on cartoon network and even as a kid noticing how abrupt it seemed to have 'ended' (and the joke Q&A ad that CN ran at the time implying there was more but it got taped over). It really was a neat adventure show and had some amazing setpieces, a pirate ship made from the bones of a great leviathan? Fantastic.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

doomrider7 posted:

Which of the two? But yeah agree in either case.

doesn't Mighty Max end on a time loop? That would definitely be open to a sequel.

Pirates of Dark Water *very hastily* resolved the issue of the titular dark water (as they were alerted to being cancelled early due to how expensive the series was), though given how hasty it was, it can easily be amended.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

YggiDee posted:

For Mighty Max, no Tony Jay, no sequel. That's also why we can never get a proper conclusion to ReBoot.

and one of the reasons why the Legacy of Kain series is dead

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Who the gently caress wanted a reboot of Johnny test? https://twitter.com/WildBrainHQ/status/1220438102512209922

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

God, I've seen the reveal clip for Jigen in the Lupin movie, and god drat the internet is suddenly thirsty for the guy.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I tried watching the recobbled cut, and just some of those spectacular set pieces actually made me nauseous it's loving weird that this is the only movie I've seen that I got motion sick from.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Looper posted:

honestly kinda disappointed they're not jumping to a new belmont

there's still some loose ends from season 2 to wrap up and I think if they plan to jump to a new one, it's more likely to happen near the end of the season instead of starting a new, suddenly switching protagonists can cause people to be upset.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

there's a fair amount of people I know who got into Netflixvania due to hype but never played the games, so suddenly jumping from Trevor to Christopher or going back in time for Leon would lose them (it wouldn't the 'Raiden for Snake' level of backlash, but it wouldn't be well-received), since games ultimately are a different medium than an animated series.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I would absolutely love to see Soma Cruz, the sorrow games were my favorite out of the IGA-era, but I'd definitely want a proper build up.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

and Alucard's backslide/step was most certainly a reference to his move in SotN.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Anyone seen the trailers for call of the wild?

Now before anything else, I'm very pro using CGI animals instead of real ones for what would be potentially dangerous stunt scenes, but there's things when there's no danger and Buck's just interacting with Ford or running that it's very clear he's CGI or 'enhanced' and the one scene of the Husky suddenly scowling like a human that looks loving awful and obvious.

Why are we doing this when there's no need for it?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

yeah, there's no reason to really do the twist as imho the game's original story is pretty drat good and doesn't need any punch ups.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Again no objections to the use of CGI animals for sled scenes, it's just the dogs look too loving unnatural outside of those.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Do you think Alf will ever make a comeback?

I doubt it, he's kind of a punchline for 'Weird 80s pop culture', and from all accounts it seems like his creator was kind of a nutball. Looks like they did consider rebooting ALF in 2018 but decide to cancel it.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

https://twitter.com/broderick/status/1230893144436281344?s=20 well this also partly explains why Buck looks so off.

JUST USE A REAL DOG FOR NON-ACTION SCENES!

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

mycot posted:

Wasn't it in this thread it was mentioned that the children in The Polar Express were mocapped by adults walking on their knees?

yeah, I mentioned that and how it meant the kids don't move like kids would.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

1977 Soviet Animation of Vasilisa the Beautiful though it's really the Russian Frog Princess, not sure why they used the name of a different fairy tale even in the original.

I just thought about this - I found an old VHS of this in a Deseret Industries as a kid - dubbed, and found the animation to be quite pretty and unlike anything you'd see on TV, reminds me of the old russian lacquer boxes.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 22, 2020

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

https://twitter.com/gkidsfilms/status/1231609662409019392 Hot drat, and a transwoman is voicing Hana.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Shbobdb posted:

That rabbit monster reminds me of a weird half remembered movie/feverdream I saw as a kid. It was like War Dogs only instead of being harmless the animals were cyborgs. I remember a dog and a cat and another one, maybe a rabbit? Something like that. Figure the goon hive mind would know it.

Sounds like We3 which is a comic, I know there's been talks of making a film out of it but I think it went nowhere.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I'm almost sure in Goof Troop it was mentioned in passing that Max's mother died when Max was pretty young, but in a roundabout away

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Well that's not good - and a huge indication of how much China influences the industry now: They just reported they delayed the release of the new Bond film until November hoping the pandemic will have died down.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I think it's a combo of Pixar finding a formula that works and pounding it to death, John Lasseter stifling any creative competition especially from women - then having him ousted (rightfully) along with Disney taking more control over the process.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

doomrider7 posted:

Not seen it, but what's wrong with Hazbin Hotel?

It honestly is tailor made for people whose aesthetics and humor has stagnated when Invader Zim originally aired - the designs are incredibly busy or have just one-too-many-elements. The fact a small indie group managed to produce a unique, watchable pilot is amazing, it's questionable given how long the pilot took if they can actually sustain a full series.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

And there's some drama about the creator plagiarizing and/or otherwise stealing credit but it's difficult to say how much is genuine and how much it's the tumblr tall poppy syndrome kicking in.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Barudak posted:

Every screenshot in the film with Brad Pitt has this forgotten 90s adventure game look to it. The film is absolutely terrible but at least it remind me of a fun genre of games

It really does.

And I can't even appreciate the animation like some people do because characters like Holli are too jittery, as if Bakshi's loving terrified of letting his cartoon hold still for five loving seconds, and the background animations are very short, obvious loops at best, or outright distracting from the main action.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

honestly, Nomura is a loving hack who basically been coasting the last ten+ years because he got several hits under his belt and seem to be making poo poo up as he goes along. He may have been talented once, but he's basically all ego now.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Nah, he’s great. You were just thirteen when the stuff you liked came out, he’s totally the same still

Nah, he had people actually telling him to stop and edit his work back then. His early stuff still holds up (The World Ends With You is imho still his best game), just the EU and later works aren't so good, and then there's the nightmare productions of FFXV and KH3 that showed they need someone to smack them with a belt and keep him in line.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

SolarFire2 posted:

I have never cried like I cried when I finished that book in third grade. I finished it on a Saturday morning and I was completely inconsolable all weekend.

My 4th grade teacher read us the book when we finished our work early (kind of childish even for 4th grade, but he had a very good audio reading voice and picked interesting books), I think half the class yelled 'drat you' at him, and he didn't even try to scold us for swearing at him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Holes is loving fantastic and what changes they made were mainly for the sake of filmability (and so a kid isn't literally gaining and losing a fuckton of weight in a short span).

I never even thought of Sigourney Weaver for the Warden and I can't picture anyone else in that role.