Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Movies are back in theaters now but sometimes come to streaming quick.

Welcome to the animated movies (and sometimes TV shows) for 2023!

Current Movies
Puss in Boots: The Last Wish
Strange World
Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio

Upcoming Movies
Baby Shark's Big Movie! (US / South Korea, 2023)
Batman: The Doom that Came to Gotham (US, 2023)
Big City Greens: The Movie (US, 2023)
Black Clover: Sword of the Wizard King (Japan, March 31)
Blue Giant (Japan, February 17)
Chicken Run: Dawn of the Nugget (UK, 2023)
Craig of the Creek: The Movie (US, 2023)
Detective Conan: Black Iron Submarine (Japan, April 14)
Disney and Pixar's Elemental (US, June 16)
Epic Tails (France, February 10)
Fafner in the Azure: Behind the Line (Japan, January 20)
Four Souls of Coyote (Hungary, March 16)
Gilgamesh (Argentina, 2023)
High in the Clouds (US, 2023)
How Do You Live? (Japan, July 14)
Justice League: Warworld (US, 2023)
Ladybug & Cat Noir The Movie (France, July 5)
Legion of Super Heroes (US, February 7)
Migration (US, December 23)
The Monkey King (US, 2023)
Mortal Kombat Legends: Cage Match (US, 2023)
Nimona (US, 2023)
PAW Patrol: The Mighty Movie (US, October 13)
Rabbits Kingdom the Movie (Japan, 2023)
Rock Dog 3: Battle the Beat (US, January 24)
Spellbound (US/Spain, 2023)
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (US, June 2)
Strays (US, June 9)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem (US, August 4)
The Super Mario Bros. Movie (April 7)
Trolls 3 (US, November 17)
Wish (US, November 22)

Old Threads:
Want to look back on the classics such as Disney's Pinocchio, Angry Birds, or Cats? Here are the old threads.

2017 - 2018

Check the archives for the rest!

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jan 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

[extra space needed? maybe?]

I really didn't know there was a new Minions movie coming. I had blocked that movie from my brain.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

OP you should add The Mitchells vs The Machines

set to come out on September 18th

Got it!

There are four movies that are supposedly coming out this year...with no trailers. I don't think they're coming this year. :v:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Pick posted:

We call that getting "Animal Crackers"'d

I follow them on Facebook and that story is a loving roller coaster of insanity.

Danny DeVito is a part of it and apparently Byron Allen or at least his company is refusing to release it despite promising they would (maybe they gave/took money or something, I don't know). It's really crazy.

I feel bad for everyone on that crew because I don't think it's coming any time soon and they really want to release the movie. They seem genuinely as upset as you'd think but they're always professional about it all instead of the usual cesspool that Facebook is.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

So apparently there's a Peter Rabbit 2 releasing this April? Unlike the first one it's not releasing under the Sony Pictures Animation label (so an inverse of what happened with the Angry Birds films)

Welp. Added to the OP.

Like Minions, I didn't know this was coming. There's been ZERO talk about it...though there's a trailer at least?

DC Murderverse posted:

it looks like it got a release everywhere else! it's got music by Bear McCreary! Original songs by Huey Lewis and Michael Buble! How does no distributor want to take a chance on this, or like Netflix or something?

Apparently, just in China and at the Annecy Festival in France.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

I guess if this is gonna keep happening lemme comb through various studios and see what they're set to release this year that isn't already in the OP:

Warner Animation Group:
Tom and Jerry (December 23, 2020): Live Action/Animation hybrid

Sony Pictures Animation:
Wish Dragon (no release date given other than "2020", originally slated for a July 26, 2019 in China but got delayed, possible that the 2020 date might be China specific): co-production with a newly minted Chinese studio Base Animation (in fact some sources indicate it's another example of "film not produced by Sony released under the label")

Disney:
The One and Only Ivan (August 12th, 2020): Live Action/CGI Hybrid

For Wish Dragon, I'll just put it at the bottom of the list as just "2020" or maybe sometime after Minions 2.

Disney has too many movies coming out this year. It's honestly a little scary.

Tom and Jerry seems fun though.

EDIT: Apparently, Tom and Jerry got moved up to 2020 since ComicBook.com claimed 2021 originally back in March 2019.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 2, 2020

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

I wonder if they’re quietly burying due to the fact that James Cordon has basically zero good will to his name any more? You know, on account of being a massive arsehole.

Is there more to this? What'd he do?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Wizards is the weirdest animated movie I have ever seen.

And I've seen both Fritz the Cat movies.

AND Cats.

Also Strange Magic.

Wizards is weirdly enough, better than all of them. Maybe on par with the first Fritz movie.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

That's one of the Land Before Time sequels.

Wait what? Really?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

starkebn posted:

this isn't new news, but I don't remember anyone mentioning this

https://twitter.com/SpiderVerse/status/1190373194374377472

hope they can live up to the first one

It's in the OP actually! But more talk of Spider-Man fills my nerd heart with glee.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I think people hate Toy Story 4 because it simply does not need to exist. Toy Story 3 closed the arc. Toy Story 4 is Disney trying to reignite the spark and causing a wildfire of terrible.

doomrider7 posted:

Didn't they age Connor to adult/young adult or something to make him part of the Legion of Superhero's or some such nonsense?

FilthyImp posted:

Jor El returned and was a dick and took Jon on a cosmic ride and he came back older and... ugh

Thank Brian Michael Bendis for this. As a Marvel fan, I am very sorry that DC fans have to deal with him now. He's ruining Superman like he did Miles Morales, a character he created and people loved, with "Uh oh! He can't beat this villain, let's just Venom Strike him! End battle." over and over in his solo book until he left Marvel for DC.

Also with Ultimatum. That was a trashpile.

This isn't a comics thread though so I'll stop bitching. :v:

Barudak posted:

Id prefer he just not be allowed to show up, given the whole you know "is tim allen" thing

Did he do something again?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

nankeen posted:

i really am sorry for bringing the topic of the shoah into this light-hearted thread like i did, i know there are other posters here with similar history who just want somewhere to talk cartoons and am so sorry for shattering the mood. i was (incredibly) unaware of bakshi as an artist, the content and the context of his work, and knowing that i'd probably liveblog the thing itt in my own irritating way i tried to choose the film that, from its wikipedia summary, sounded least loaded. please understand i was posting in real time and actually don't have anybody nearby to talk to about this very specific topic irl so just offloaded emotionally on the forums as i am wont to do. i promise not to do it again in this thread, it's not the place for it. i might talk bakshi, but will keep it light.

just to finish, for interests' sake, this is the wikipedia summary for wizards

note the complete non-mention of nazism, or any other historical content directly present in the film. this is why i'm troubled by how this movie is remembered by non-jewish audiences, such as the animation fans who've recommended it to me irl and whoever wrote the (very carefully written) passage above; because i don't know if they deliberately omit/downplay the holocaust theme, or if they do so accidentally because those parts just somehow didn't stick in their minds

and that's all i will say on the matter. please forgive me!

(the chaks remain back)

Honestly, I liked reading your commentary on it!

It reminded me that Wizards exists...and that a good chunk of my friends haven't seen it nor do they know what it even is.

That will have to change. It's a weird experience. Honestly, I think I might like the movie a little bit.

But yeah, count me in as not minding your commentary. He makes/made animated movies. This thread is for animated stuff. I think it fits just fine.

Yeah, they're tough subjects but, as previously stated, movies have tough subjects and we should be able to talk about them if the movie in question is animated.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I saw Dolittle today, I think I forgot to add it to the OP.

It really wasn't that bad. It wasn't great by any means but it was fun for me. The story was all over the place and I hated RDJ trying to do a British accent but I guess it was more book accurate than the previous 6 Dolitte movies?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

I honestly don't know anyone who has ever read Dr. Doolittle.

Give me some James Herriot. Let kids see what someone looks like elbows deep in a cow.

Barudak posted:

I have a Dr. Doolittle book I got as a kid and it was racist in a way even a stupid kid felt deeply uncomfortable with so I never read it again.

I've never read the book, glad I didn't.

This wasn't racist just...painfully obvious when something was CGI...like when the kid was riding a giraffe or whatever.

Also the squirrel that was all about getting revenge because the kid accidentally shot him....but that went absolutely no where.

Also Dolittle straight up kidnaps a child to take him on adventures and no one says anything. Wait, I'm sorry. A parrot, giraffe, and a fox did without Dolittle's help or knowledge. Still kidnapping with zero repercussions.

Queen Victoria is the best character as soon as she wakes up from being dead at the end of the movie. Snarky as gently caress for no reason what-so-ever and has no time for anyone's poo poo despite literally being dead a few seconds prior. It was really refreshing to the "But this person is super nice and grateful and sweet to everyone" Nope. She sees the kid who just saved her life and goes "...and who are you? Why are you in my room?!"

Despite the plot threads that went no where, some of the characters were entertaining so eh. John Cena needs to act in all the things because he is a wonderful voice actor, honestly. He made Ferdinand even better for me.

Still surprised that there are SIX other Dolittle films. I'm not sure how that happened but it did.

EDIT: I also loved Pom Poko. It made me cry. :v:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

There's finally a trailer for Minions: The Rise of Gru. Put it up in the OP but here it is here too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN1HNkoL2QA

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Even tho it’s fake I can see Disney doing a live action Lilo & Stitch, but they wouldn’t make Stitch gross looking, they’d baby Yoda the poo poo out of him.

They are doing one. That image is fake but Disney said back in 2018 that they would do a live action L&S movie.

The rumor now is that it'll be Disney+ only and will be shooting later this year in Hawaii.

That's why the image is circulating at the moment.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/i/events/1230003281461559296

The Onward preview reviews are out.

Looks like it's standard Pixar fare of emotional manipulation (it seems to hit harder if you've lost someone close to you so be warned with that), the plot itself is apparently pretty thin but Octavia Spencer kills it as well as Tom Holland and Chris Pratt (moreso Octavia than the latter two though).

Not enough trash unicorns.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

It reminds me of DC's blandly animated movies.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Pick posted:

He's goddamn 69 years old, and will be 70 by the time he's done with 2021. He's probably just loving retiring, man.

Apparently, this was a surprise throughout Disney as Iger kept it under wraps exactly WHEN this was happening. He said he'd be leaving in 2021 but surprise left today.

https://deadline.com/2020/02/disney-bob-iger-successor-timing-reaction-bob-chapek-1202868321/

Also this happened right after Dan DiDio was fired/quit/no one knows honestly from DC Comics.

There's tons of rumors on the latter and people don't know what's happening on the former.

Though what is certain, Disney will just keep buying everything forever since, unlike DiDio, Iger is still with Disney. He's in control of their creative indeavors team.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

hallelujah posted:

haha sorry almost went into another history rant there, i keep forgetting this isn't the thread

the chaks are back

Wait what IS the thread for that because now I'm interested. I didn't know that Ralph Bakshi had living relatives, if I'm being 100% honest.

Also, Dad Bods are great.

Barudak posted:

Americas thirst for Dad Bods continues at an unsustainable rate. We will run out of Dad Bods by 2025 and become dependent on foreign Dad Bod cartels

I refuse to believe America will ever run out of Dad Bods. :v: Not with the huge portion sizes and calories we have here.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

blast0rama posted:

Looks like Sony is testing the next steps of the tech used on INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE on CONNECTED.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toBGv7yvIV8

The movie could be whatever, but the animation looks great.

This looks really fun. Though I think I preferred the old title. Ah well.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

New Scoob! trailer drops Thursday!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Also it was reported on the local news about the Bond movie delay. It's been delayed because theaters in countries including Japan, India, South Korea, and yes, China are actually closed for the foreseeable future due to the virus fears.

This is less a "China rules the industry" scenario and more a "there's literally no where to show this movie in almost half the world" scenario.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/pixar/status/1237787733277331456

Soul trailer drops tomorrow!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/03/16/nbcuniversal-switching-to-simultaneous-theatrical-and-streaming-releases/

NBC Universal is switching to simultaneous theater and streaming release for Trolls: World Tour and a few other movies.

The catch is they'll most likely be 48-hour rentals and will be $20 per rental.

I think Trolls World Tour is gonna not do so well.

Also all Regal theaters are closed in the US as of March 17, 2020.

https://www.ign.com/articles/regal-cinemas-to-close-all-us-movie-theaters-during-coronavirus-pandemic

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

doomrider7 posted:

This makes me sad because the movie looked incredibly good. Same thing for Scoob which also looks like big goofy fun, but will likely get decimated by this pandemic.

Someone from 4chan claims they saw Scoob! early and is spreading spoilers on Twitter and Reddit and also trying to kill hype for the movie. Unfortunately, they're succeeding...but it's also Twitter. At least be careful if you go and look at comments to the official Twitter account for the movie.

Speaking of that...

https://twitter.com/scoob/status/1239310405870051329

Scoob! will probably survive on memes alone, which might actually help it.

Hawkperson posted:

An extremely dumb move not to make it ~the average price of a movie ticket (which according to google is roughly $10 nowadays). $20 is just highway robbery, gently caress that.

$20 is absolutely insane, yes. Also, they want the equivalent to $20 in other countries. They REALLY don't want World Tour to do well.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Argue posted:

Are they doing it for the same reasons they wanted to kill hype for Captain Marvel? Because I was already going to watch it but if chuds hate it then now I'm going to be watching it really hard (if my city lifts lockdown on time)

They're claiming that the movie is literally a "find Scooby, throw in some old Hanna-Barbera characters, make a shared universe" movie. They claim there's no mystery and we already know who the bad guy is (Dastardly). Also they say one character's name is Epstien for whatever reason and Fred hires him to help find Shaggy and Scooby.

I didn't read more than that but people are spreading spoilers every time the main account posts. People are believing them and some won't watch because they think it's just another cash grab and isn't a "true" Scooby Doo movie.

Also, tickets are $5 all day on Tuesdays at Regal as well as a few other chains around here (I believe AMC, Alamo Drafthouse, and Marcus Theaters all have something like this).

Regal has the first showing be $5.

There's a local theater here, Aksarben Cinema, that is basically an AMC but with better prices all around that does $5 Tuesday as well as $1.50 for a hot dog and drink all day on Tuesdays. If you go in on Thursday, you get $6/ticket and cheaper food if you have a student ID.

Regular ticket prices at all theaters here in Omaha don't go over $10 usually, even in the expensive parts of the city.

$20 is pretty overpriced here and Trolls 2 has a very high chance of failing here. Maybe in most of the Midwest since I've never seen expensive ticket prices around Nebraska, Iowa, Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, or even Minnesota.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 17, 2020

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I still can't get over The Boss Baby's horrible, horrible face.

I can't watch the movie at all, honestly.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/universal-delays-minions-rise-gru-1285396

Minions: The Rise of Gru isn't finished and probably won't be finished this year due to COVID-19 so it'll be delayed.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Sonic will release digitally on March 30, 2020 and Blu-Ray / 4K (and maybe DVD) on May 19th.

I really, really needed this laugh. Thank you.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.slashfilm.com/trolls-digital-release/

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2493126/theater-chain-head-honcho-has-some-blunt-thoughts-about-trolls-world-tour-hitting-homes-early

Theater owners are pissed about the digital release of Trolls 2.

Apparently, Universal still claims it'll be simultaneously opening in theaters and digital but it's not and box office for it is $0.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Screen Troll 2 instead.

How'd you get that Raccoon Goons tag for Animal Crossing?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The AC thread in Games and asking nicely.

Oh sweet, I didn't know there was a thread. Thank you! :)

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.slashfilm.com/minions-the-rise-of-gru-release-date/

Minions: The Rise of Gru has been changed from July 3, 2020 to July 2, 2021.

Because of this move, Sing 2 will now release on December 22, 2021 instead of July 2nd.

This shuffling has pushed Wicked off the calendar.

EDIT: Updated the OP a bit. Don't know if I should remove the past movies section... I'm leaning towards yes cause then it wouldn't feel so cluttered?

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 2, 2020

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://deadline.com/2020/04/top-gu...day-1202898738/

Spongebob delayed to July 31, 2020.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Removed the poster images for the past movies to make things a little less...busy, I guess?

I might remove the posters for all of them and just keep the links if there are trailers. I dunno.

I kind of like the poster idea but sometimes it's a lot to scroll through.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The only reason I liked Advent Children was the whole Cloud getting impaled by Masamune, then pulling it out and performing Omnislash. That was literally it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Robin Hood as an explicit Zootopia prequel (so it isn't just a remake) could probably work pretty well. Or they could even go whole hog and wrap it into Zootopia 2, with Nick and Judy hunting a treasure hidden by Robin.

I'm mad that these aren't what's going to happen.

If Disney is looking through this thread at all...PLEASE DO THIS. :v:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Pixar's Soul has been delayed to November 20, 2020.

https://twitter.com/pixar/status/1249759604805791744

Disney Animation's Raya and the Last Dragon will be delayed until March 12, 2021.

https://twitter.com/disneyanimation/status/1249759260235436032

EDIT: Oh, and Mulan has been changed from indefinitely delayed to July 24, 2020.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/03/media/disney-film-dates-mulan-marvel-coronavirus/index.html

Changed the OP for the new release dates.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

With the change of SpongeBob to August 7, every single antimatter movie that was to release between March 2020 - June 2020 has been delayed or cancelled.

SpongeBob talked the place of another Paramount movie, Infinite, which will release on May 28, 2021 instead of August 7th.

https://www.slashfilm.com/spongebob-movie-release-date/