Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Raya is such a weirdass movie. Any time Disney wants to make an epic adventure I can't help but think that a lot of great ideas get sanded down to mitigate risk of alienating general audiences and they end up with a shallow product that can be inconsiderate as well.

I liked Moana but lol it has a song about how they use each part of the buffalo coconut. At least it's not as ambiguous with the cultural imagery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

hiddenriverninja posted:

I didn't think I could get more disappointed by this, but here we are:

https://twitter.com/NetflixGeeked/status/1509878419689029637

edit: I guess this isn't really a movie but a series

CG production has gotten to the point where it's affordable to have decently rendered lighting, materials, and fx, but man some of these shots are so awkwardly animated. Jerky and weightless. Not the kind of thing you want in your martial arts action cartoon.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

Menken and Ashman started doing music and lyrics for Disney with Little Mermaid as well, which really helped put it, and later movies over the top.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

Kurt started his career in Disney stuff as a child actor. He's in a handful of their live action movies from the 60s and 70s. Still weird though, yeah.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Anyone know anything else about this?

https://twitter.com/MurmurLilies/status/1532898408016465921

Is the whole movie like this?

I ended up watching it on YouTube. It's about an hour long. I don't think anything else in the movie tops this clip except maybe the ending but there are some very funny sloppy sequences throughout.

It was directed by Rumen Petkov who ended up working on a few cartoon network shows in the 90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J62nQSa335Y

Sourdough Sam fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 5, 2022

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/strangeworld/status/1533810951862075394?t=lEypWwmIpCD_pxi76-bClg&s=19

This looks neat. I love the landscapes.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

Didn't that one PPG reboot have some creepy stuff with someone who worked on the show getting his very obvious self insert to date one of them in an episode?

Foster's had such a great art style, especially for an early entirely digital cartoon. Great color palettes and character designs and fluid animation that didn't feel artificial.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

Dunno why they felt the need to mention that THIS was the movie Andy watched. In the world of Toy Story is this movie animated? Is it live action? Not bad for 1995.

I didn't feel much watching this movie, but I did love the design of all the ships and robots.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

Middle parts are back in style nowadays (cuz of K-Pop). There are more Travises than ever.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

Did a toon kill this CEO's brother or something?

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

Animaniacs are on Hulu and they ARE the Warners. I think Disney could scoop up a Bugs Bunny cartoon and put it on Hulu.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

That supplemental episode of Sandman with the animated "Dream of a Thousand Cats" segment was great. Lovingly animated kitties. :3:

Edit: it does depict some animal abuse, however, if that's something you want to avoid

Sourdough Sam fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 28, 2022

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/JordanPeele/status/1567165729140768769?t=YkX3bcfMH4yaxGB0n6KLlA&s=19

I seriously can't wait for this. With this and GDT's Pinocchio, it does seem like Netflix are the only people who want to keep stop motion animation alive. I've also been wanting to see Mad God but I think I'll get that on Blu Ray if I can.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

I agree that stop motion is very well suited for off-kilter, slightly unsettling media OR warm and wholesome like Rilakkuma. I was pretty disappointed in that Yeti movie Laika made years ago. It was beautiful visually but so by-the-numbers generic "We gotta get this creature back home!" type movie. The only thing missing was putting Solsbury Hill in the trailer but Finding Dory already did that. It didn't play to the strengths of stop motion and could very well have been a full CG movie and it wouldn't have made a difference.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

I bet they have young Mufasa save young Scar from falling off a cliff and he says "I know you would do the same for me, brother."

"Also have you met baby Timon and Pumba from The Lion King? Looks like they're getting into some mischief with young Rafiki!"

Then Scar gets the scar.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

I remember watching some feature with Alan Menken about Aladdin and Jafar's cut song came up. Howard Ashman was dying of aids at the time and Menken drew the connection between Jafar ruining Aladdin to aids ruining Ashman with the lyrics of "Humiliate The Boy". I think the song was deemed a little too dour for the movie.

He had a fun song in the sequel though.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

The last trailer for Wendell & Wild was just posted. Man this looks so good!
https://twitter.com/catsuka/status/1579511805906661376?s=20&t=7xlE6GNnbNJfBuKcN5hknQ

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

I loved it. The plot is a bit overcomplicated but I think it adds a little to the absurdity. I love early on in the movie where Wendell and Wild have flat very cubist faces that are still made of clay. It was a really unique look.

Feels like Key and Peele subdued their performances a little which is honestly refreshing since they more or less reenacted their hotel valet characters in Toy Story 4. Wouldn't want to see that again and again.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

That Puss In Boots movie was really great. I loved the wolf.

The wolf was amazing.

Dunno if it's an unpopular opinion but I thought John Mulaney as Big Jack Horner was hilarious. His character design is so intentionally unappealing and odd to look at but the performance and animation made that work. His hands are the size of his head if not bigger and his eyes are tiny, but he was delightful.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

"Don't you know I'm dead inside?"

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

Another thing I noticed about Puss in Boots that I really loved (and can't get screenshots of cuz iTunes blacks out the screen if I try) was the shaders. They have some tech that adds brush strokes to the hard 3D edges of their models, making their silhouettes look painted. It's mostly on large props, not the characters themselves. We're definitely in the golden age of CG animation.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

Sir Lemming posted:

Like, if Frozen 2 had had a gay character like everyone kind of thought it was going to, that would've been a much better gauge of the audience reaction.

I could be wrong but I think the big shopkeeper guy has a husband but it was a blink and you'll miss it acknowledgement that could be easily edited out for overseas.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/ralphbakshi/status/1631056221535891456?t=U8uoNA1G_FWG76PZUEp24Q&s=19

Also check out the GBS AI art thread if you wanna see posters claim that working artists are the bougie elite who need their magic powers stolen for the good of the commoners (people who gave up on drawing).

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

"Anime. Big titties. Cyberpunk. Trending on Artstation."

- Pablo Picasso

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

Human Ryan Reynolds forced to get in a Poké-Consciousness Transfer Machine with a Pikachu for one last ride. It'll be a mystery only a Pokémon can solve or something. Also there will be gags where human Ryan Reynolds is running around with the mind of a Pikachu.

Sourdough Sam fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 3, 2023

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

Really just got the sense that Cars was serial employee toucher John Lasseter's fixation and that Pixar wanted to do literally anything else.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/Pixar/status/1640696909466841090?t=0UCCKaSGa-qzpNaXegU8ow&s=19

Looks alright I guess. Probably technologically innovative for Pixar's character animation but the plot appears to be uninspired. Like a parody of a Pixar movie.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

Incidentally they just dropped a new trailer.

https://twitter.com/chrizmillr/status/1643146633314701312?t=Ow6-SzwYfT35y74kW7kTDQ&s=19

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

I haven't seen it yet but all this talk of Mario having obnoxious needle drops in the soundtrack reminded me of the SMB3 show which had "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" sung by Wendy Koopa and I'm wondering how they even pulled that off on such a low budget show. They saved money on animation to be sure :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc3e1-zT_5w&t=11s

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

I seriously loved it, though I admit that I become an easily impressed idiot baby when I see a movie on the big screen. I don't really have any substantial complaints other than maybe yeah the needle drops in the soundtrack felt studio mandated. The score was otherwise super charming and full of rapid fire references to melodies from all the games. It's a short but the action is constant. I don't think I would want this particular movie to be longer because of it. Beautiful lighting and materials too. This movie felt like eating one of those pixie sticks that come in a giant plastic straw.

e: we got a trailer for Illumination's next movie which is about... ducks migrating. They had so little faith in it that they spent about a minute and a half showing clips from all of their previous movies INCLUDING Mario. Usually studios present their bonafides in the form of logos but they must be real worried about this duck one.

Sourdough Sam fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Apr 9, 2023

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

On second thought, it bothered me how much the golden retriever from the beginning of the movie looked like Dug from Up but mean.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

god i hope they lose all their money on the ezra movie

I think Michael Keaton Batman is going to be the main thing drawing people to this movie. I'll bet he's barely in it at all too.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

There's gotta be some kind of twist to the concept because having just a family road trip movie but with ducks migrating sounds like an imminent flop.

Maybe they hit a wall in the sky and it turns out they're in a biodome on the moon and the ducks have to get back to earth.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

I remember they used Jump in the trailer for Ready Player One and it made ME wanna jump! (off a bridge)

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

I've been slowly making my way through the new set of Star Wars Visions animated short films that came out last week. They're all mostly great so far. They had studios around the world make films this time instead of just Japan and each film has a very distinct visual style. Neat how it's possible to treat Star Wars as a setting and a bundle of themes without them getting irradiated by Disney factory brand consumerism and focus tested references and quips. They're all beautifully animated too. Aardman's even got a short in there and it's cute.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

mystes posted:

What kid wouldn't want an action figure of the protagonist of a movie about a guy loving everything up and having a mid-life crisis?

If Lightyear was a movie that Andy saw in the 90s I think there would be landfills full of buzz lightyear toys nobody bought, but Andy would grow up and make a 3 hour video essay on why Lightyear was a forgotten classic that was ahead of its time.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

https://twitter.com/hollywoodhandle/status/1668386886333726723?s=20

it’s looking bad for original animated films post-pandemic…

It was probably a bad idea to not put Mario or Spiderman in this movie.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

surf rock posted:

- Goddamn, Squaresoft really copied off Miyazaki's homework on the aesthetics, didn't they? Right down to the chocobos! If you're gonna steal, steal from the best.

Games continuously look to Mononoke in particular for anything regarding magical forests under attack by black gooey industrialization or horse riding heroes with a hosed up arm like Zelda Tears of the Kingdom. This game that was announced recently is so on the nose that they just decided to combine the wolf and the deer spirit into one character.

https://twitter.com/nomadastudiobcn/status/1661470245100613632?s=20

Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom feel like a nice mix of both Laputa and Mononoke. Moss covered robots, floating ruins, forest children, and creepy human/deer hybrids.

Sourdough Sam fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jul 11, 2023

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

I liked the part of Raya at the climax where Benedict Wong describes exactly what's happening onscreen in ADR after the dragon gets killed and everything goes to poo poo because Disney thinks children are idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

There's no way a space adventure movie for kids in 1995 would be that bland and depressing. Andy's got poo poo taste.