Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Now do this for that animated hobbit movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ImpAtom posted:

This is stupid as hell.
welcome to the thread.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pick posted:

I also knew Rankin Bass did the hobbit but I dunno, weird gap in my knowledge of these. I always liked this Smaug design, it's odd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or8G_jDcLNo
yeah, the smaug cat-dragon-demon design is really unsettling but I dig it.

hell, all the designs in that movie are way too wrinkly like testiclepeople but I love it to bits

DoctorWhat posted:

the rankin bass hobbit was outsourced to a studio that later became Studio Ghibli
didn't know that, that's neat!

man, last unicorn hosed me up when I was like 5.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the original transformers movie is so weird and bad

it's got some really, really good scenes, a fair amount of them really, but it's just not good overall, which is a bummer

especially with the whole "we are going to systematically horrifically murder all the characters you've come to know and love in this five minute opening sequence", whose effects can be felt to this day with the recent star wars movie even

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I meant Mighty Max.

I had both a Mighty Max (the shark playset) and Polly Pocket as a kid. I'm pretty sure they were compatible.
Mighty Max was literally just Polly Pocket For Boys

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ccs posted:

I also remember it being a lot of fun. Many of those shows dealt with adult topics. I remember I learned about the concept of credit card debt from a Disney cartoon episode.
remember that disney cartoon episode where one of the characters finds one of the other main character's(a cop) handgun and accidentally loving shoots her and nearly kills her because he was playing around with it like a toy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq3PMtbVzLo

man, gargoyles was good

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
While only sort-of related, have you read the Nausicaa manga itself? There's quite a bit more in it than the movie, and it was done by Miyazaki himself. It's on amazon for 44 bucks for a really wonderful hardcover boxed set of the entire thing in two volumes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
man. I dunno what made it show up in my recommends suddenly, but a bunch of A Fox In Space clips began getting recommended to me. I forgot that even existed, it was a fascinating little one-man operation making a pretty neat take on the Star Fox cast. Really solid animation(despite being mostly standing around) in a weird, retro style, with decent voice acting, all by one dude. I think Nintendo tried to shut it down initially, but I guess they relented.

This is the original "episode one",
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uieM18rZdHY&hd=1

and this one was just recommended to me, and I really like this little scene. Tense and I like how it was shot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_DTgzCjv4U&hd=1

and this last week, Falco and his parents having dinner at a restaurant. fuckin' weird but I dig it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW9GyBhFHUQ&hd=1

He's been posting clips from "episode two" for years I guess, but it's not out yet, probably, maybe almost done? kudos to him for turning a little tribute thing he made into an actual living, and he does animation tutorials and stuff on twitch I guess.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Furries have been a million times better at expunging nazis from their communities than the us government

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The_Doctor posted:

The trailer for Call of the Wild has that ‘floating’ CGI look I haven’t seen for a while. Like the lighting needs another couple of passes for Buck to actually look like he’s part of the scene and not just pasted on top.

Went to see sonic and saw the trailer for that and woof, it looked bad. Like they don't even try to make him pass for an actual dog, just clearly a cgi dog.

Sonic was good, it dragged a bit but it was really fun and didn't take itself seriously basically ever. The matryoshka robotnik tank scene was great, Jim Carrey carried the movie, sonic looked great, the post credit scene was good, the memes were well done (the crazy beard guy ruled), sonic being hunted by a tribe of knuckles in the prologue was good foreshadowing for the sequel, as was Jim Carrey straight up saying "I'll be home by christmas" at the end :v:

one of the few good video game movies, I'm genuinely surprised how fun it was. Middle of the movie was a drag and the Small Town America poo poo nearly made my eyes roll out of my drat head, but otherwise it was a good time.

My absolute favorite part of the movie was that the final fight was basically the first boss of green hills zone. Sonic just repeatedly jumping into the floating robotnik machine until it blew up. Game accuracy!!!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

hallelujah posted:

i think sonic should have killed a cop

Well, he did push one off the roof of a skyscraper

He just didn't have the guts to stick with it, is all :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wow, quite the revelation

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
they knew

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I hope the sequel has sonic teaming up with tails and Alf to stop metal sonic and knuckles

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Not the dumb blue sonic-sized metal sonic, but the giant bare metal, covered in rivets one

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

BioEnchanted posted:

A giant ring opens above the White House, tons of mechs come flying out piloted by Echidnas (robots piloted by animals, duh) that have allied themselves with Robotnik. Then finally, as the Egg Carrier comes looming forth, this music plays: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbhX7XKgkDU

lol just lol if you don't think that mushroom planet is gonna be roboticized and he's shoving small helpless forest critters into robot animals as power sources by the time part 2 rolls around

while googling "roboticized" to make sure that was a word from sonic and not something I dreamed up, this was the first image result and lmfao I COMPLETELY forgot they made a 12-part Megaman/Sonic crossover comic where Dr. Wily and Robotnik are BFFEFFs

M'EGGA MAN. brilliant

this comic book cover is SO GOOD

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I wonder how many sequels they'll try for. one? two? thirty? they're completely hamstrung by how many Jim Carrey wants to do, though. He's clearly in it for the next one, but I wonder if he'll drop out past that. The movie's made nearly 60 million on its opening weekend which is, well, that's a lot more than I expected honestly, and the showing I went to was a sold out sunday afternoon, with the following showing also sold out. They've gotta try to milk this thing for all its worth, but I really wonder where they go from here.

I really hope they go way harder in the direction of the sonic bullshit. turn the fungal world into a variety of the robotnik zones. have the animals from sonic's world generate energy and thus robotnik wants to stuff'em in ladybug and fish robots as power sources to take over the world. throw in Scratch and Grounder as lackeys, I don't know. There's a bunch of bullshit they could pull from, hell they could even go the route of the saturday morning cartoon instead of big the cat and amy.

actually, I'd prefer that, over having big the cat and amy appear in any sonic movie

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Looper posted:

congratulations, your opinion has been disqualified
Someone who likes big the cat and amy, do they have the proper judgement to make such a decision? No, no they do not. I bet you like sonic adventure too, you monster

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

bitterandtwisted posted:

What did happen to Max's mum?
you're not allowed to talk about missing/dead moms in disney movies

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Barudak posted:

We know a lot about Padme though
ok (unless the plot is explicitly about the dead mom or the mom is alive and then dies during the movie) you're not allowed to talk about dead/missing moms in disney movies

Boxman posted:

At Hollywood Studios, there’s a frozen stage show where the framing device is “Arendelle’s story tellers telling the story of Frozen.” When the parents die, one of them goes “dead parents? What is this, Bambi? Or lion king? Or finding Nemo or Cinderella or Lilo and Stitch or Tarzan?”

The level of self awareness in WIR2 was probably too much for me, but that got a sensible chuckle out of me.
lol drat

edit: is your avatar two eyes, a mouth, and tentacle danglies or two eyes, nostrils, and like, a moustache or weird tendril-ey mouf

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Feb 27, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
aha, I never saw Princess and the Frog, that came out in a gap I wasn't watching...anything, really.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh I've heard it's real good, and I've seen clips that showcase the incredible animation, I just don't really watch movies outside the theater anymore, don't have a whole lot of time these days. On the list it goes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh hey, another gorgeously animated(mostly) music video featuring Dan Avidan from the Game Grumps, hell yeah. and it's cyberpunk furries, too. the design on the evil mafia reindeer being a cyborg body in a suit with a pyramid for a head that projects a majestic neon hologram head and antlers is extremely good

other parts are a bit silly like the wolf riding the bullet and some bits are a bit awkwardly animated but eh it's all good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuHe9lm5vUE&hd=1

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
and you can have it!

20 dollars, please.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
there's an animated short that's one of my favorite ever about a little ghost girl who finds some tapdancing shoes, and it's so loving good from an animation standpoint and the way it shifts focus on who's "controlling" the shoes at any given moment, I've gushed about it many times before so I won't again, but it's this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byAfC5yW_hw&hd=1

and the animator is I guess making an indie platformer based on it. like, sure, okay, why not, but also, it's very cute, especially when she uses flippers to fly. :3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcVicFIjCH4&hd=1

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
give in to the anime

let it suffuse your self

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I keep thinking you people are talking about habbo hotel

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
is that a man running with a massive lumpy boner with a cap on it being chased by a flying severed breast with a bandaid on the nipple

like what is even going on there

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the only good part about that is Ryan Reynolds.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
if you extend that to early 90's cartoons, King Arthur and the Knights of Justice, despite being a really weird-rear end concept for a show(football team gets sucked back in time and become king arthur and the knights of the round table) it had a super rad theme song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USUucZVnno0

unrelated to the song or anything, but watching that intro again I love that it also absolutely exemplifies the ninja turtles nonviolence thing of "give all these characters incredibly dangerous weaponry like swords and nunchuks but never allow them to use them on another living being onscreen". I.E. the guy with the double-headed mace who uses it to...extend and create a goofy snare to knock the guy off his buddy's back instead of just whacking the dude with it. like how the only characters the ninja turtles could actually hit with their swords and poo poo were the explicitly-shown-to-be-robot foot soldiers, otherwise they'd like, chop a tree branch off and drop it on someone instead of hitting them directly

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol

reminds me of the attempt to make a hip new future action version of The Phantom. You know, the 1930's newspaper comic strip that, according to wikipedia, is the first instance of a "superhero" wearing a skintight bodysuit which then became standard with superman etc

so let's set it in a future city, the year 2040, and call it Phantom 2040. And for spice, let's let the guy who animated Aeon Flux animate it, because why not, everyone needs more gangly people who just got out of a taffy puller in their lives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_EcQodt3jA&hd=1

(it was actually way better than expected and the associated video game is one of the best licensed games and metroidvanias on the SNES/genesis)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axkqBaRqeE8&hd=1

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, I get you, but that's a hell of a pitch to take an ancient newspaper comic like the phantom and try to turn it into a saturday morning children's cartoon franchise.

but I guess there's been weirder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa5LM8NrREA&hd=1

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I did not even know that existed, that's a weird one. now I can definitely see the throughline to trying to make it more of a thing than a one-off show creating a superfriends of old properties.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh my god I saw the phantom in theaters and forgot that movie even existed, and the only thing I knew phantom from was phantom 2040

boy was I ever disappointed by THAT movie

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Rockadoodle is more of a disaster of a film than the actual disaster it is framed around in the story, and I love it

The power glove of movies

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this is a test animation for A Fox In Space's new animation styling using Blender.

looks pretty good to me

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

wdarkk posted:

They're succeeded in making Blender look exactly like Flash.

EDIT: To be clear I'm impressed by that.

I think it's also to show off the lighting too. He's apparently finishing the second episode the current way but partially using blender for animating and then switching entirely over to blender after that because it's apparently infinitely easier compared to his current method.

ThermoPhysical posted:

I forgot this was even a thing.

Didn't they quit a while ago?
It's a one-man project I believe, and when doing anything very involved by yourself, it can take what feels like an eternity especially if you're a perfectionist. The short clips they've been posting have been pretty fantastic.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

BioEnchanted posted:

I like moments of Iain McShane's performance, like the bewildered whisper on "But...but you're a panda.. he's a panda!?" I just like that he just kind of tosses the second line quietly off to Shifu really rapidly like he's expecting some kind of clarification from him. It's kind of like when someone's trying to speak after running really hard where they can only get their words out in short bursts on the exhales. It's like he can't decide whether this is really happening or whether Po and Shifu are gaslighting him for a laugh.
yeah, the incredulity is really well done. the whole scene and fight is fantastic. just a sec, gonna watch it again :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL-UE7Et9OM&hd=1

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this is a cute lil' animation, Jason and Friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pdF1a7Qi9c&hd=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
zoinks, it's scoob, let's get outta here