Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

fauna posted:

wizards is on its way :3:

The thing you might not expect about wizards if you only know it for its antifascism is that it's also weirdly and very horny.

Arguably, it's even a good film!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Regalingualius posted:

RE: Transformers the Movie chat, I’m reminded of hbomberguy’s “April fools except it’s for real” video essay analysis of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7f26gVlDQI

One point H-Boy makes that I felt was very astute was that Optimus Prime is mostly another forgettable 80s cartoon hero except for the fact that he gets killed in the film. Lion-O, Quicksilver and most of their kind have largely fallen by the wayside, but Optimus Prime sets himself apart from them by having a memorable death.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 12, 2020

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Darthemed posted:

TGMD = The Great Mouse Detective

"SEVEN LITTLE MEN HELP A GIRL"

"THE WOODEN BOY WHO BECAME REAL"

"THE LITTLE DEER WHO GREW UP"

"ARISTOCATS"

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

nankeen posted:

one of the most powerful non-historical aspects of wizards is that it starts with the world being engulfed in a massive explosion that we are told was caused by "five terrorists". this is the last that we ever hear on the matter. who were these five terrorists? how did they destroy the world, and why? we are never told. the five terrorists are not mentioned again. bakshi seems to think we don't need to know. and, he is drat right

Since the film seems to have struck a chord with you, you might care to know that Bakshi has actually spoken a little about pursuing a sequel.

"Yeah, Wizards 2, I’ve written the script. I’ll probably rewrite some of it, but it has to do very much…

Wizards 1 was about the state of Israel getting formed, and what might happen with the revolution and pollution and destruction. Here we are, Wizards 2 is about the madness, absolute madness. I mean, Wizards 2 continues where [Blackwolf] gets beaten, or does he? Suddenly every other tribe in the world is coming after you." - 2015 Interview

Who's to say if anything will come of it, though.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
You could maybe do something with CV2, but it'd have to have a different vibe, which might defeat the point.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Beavis & Butthead Do America makes every other TV-to-movie look worse.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Pick posted:

I hate to say this but I think that we need to find, and I know this won't be easy, people who are into animation have not seen anime. We got to find them. Like an endangered species. And then we need to put them in some of these animator habitats so that they can make the artistic ecosystem more robust, with fewer blushing magic teenagers

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but blushing magic teenagers have been popular in the west since before anime. It's just they were confined to bad YA novels and comic books that popular culture could ignore.

The only way back would be to make the teen girl demographic unmarketable, but that'd involve putting Sabrina the Teenage Witch back into the bottle.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 24, 2020

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Good news, everyone! Netflix is making a Dragons Lair movie based on the hit animated arcade game!

With Ryan Reynolds.

Also it's live action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRffez98uYY

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The first episode was very promising.

That's not nothin'!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Medenmath posted:

I'll have to check out Thundercats Roar at some point. It gives me the impression of something made by fans of the original who just finished binging Adventure Time instead, which is less my thing, but what I've seen of it looks pretty fun.

Early OG Thundercats and early Adventure Time are drat similar shows as it is. They both have the same basic setting of magical fantasy post-apocalyptic Earth, feature weird monster peoples, and have plots that are basically Dungeons and Dragons modules. The biggest difference (aside from character designs) is that AT wasn't guaranteed good for child by a psychiatrist.

Pick posted:

There's a ton of the original characters who've shown up already. The Berbils,

Aw gently caress yeah, the Robear Berbil's kick rear end.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Did Phantom 2040 kick start the whole "superheroes in dystopian futures" thing or was it just a product of it? I know there was a whole slew of Marvel comics with the same premise, and Batman Beyond came out of that, too.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Pick posted:

At the end of the movie he has a hand that is a sword and it spins. It's spinning

That's a good trick.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Yeah, the golems in the stage play are all balsa wood.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Larryb posted:

So in terms of actual shows, how many Lupin seasons have there been up to now? Also, is Lupin the longest running series (that's still running at least) in Japan (I know the original manga started sometime back in the 70's or so at least)?

Sazae-san beats Lupin by a couple years, having first aired in '69. Sazae-san has also been running continuously and so has an episode count of around 2500.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Cartoon Allstars to the Rescue is getting absolutely no love on these top five list.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hedrigall posted:

What am I meant to do with these reams and reams of storyvoards

:golfclap:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Speaking of Bakshi and John K, what's the best way to get a hold of the 1989's Mighty Mouse?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Pick posted:

I think that there are some really significant nostalgia glasses for that show. It's perfectly good, but I really don't understand people who think it's some sort of artistic mile stone per se.

With any 60 episode series (and especially for a kids show) people remember the highs and gloss over the lows. Avatar might have just been perfectly good on net, but it had enough good moments to distinguish itself.

It's also buoyed by most other kids shows just being worse.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The problem with adapting serious Mega Man is that you quickly run into the fact that Mega Man is not only undisguisedly derivative of a dozen other properties, but is specifically a playful take on them. Even the "darker" series like X and Zero have all the gravity of a scary episode of the 90s X-men cartoon.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 18, 2020

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

FunkyAl posted:

E: It's also like, an ironic counterpoint to singing mining dwarves

...huh.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Timeless Appeal posted:

I don't disagree with you, but contextualizing work is also a valid way to understand it. You're pointing to a musical sequence with inconsistent lyrics and muddled visuals at best (It's worth noting that Dumbo is ignorantly having fun, but the other elephants also go back and forth being strained by the work and smiling.) It's unclear if the song is genuinely from the workers' point of view. I'd argue despite singing the song, it's more about them. So, it's worth looking at the larger body of work from the studio and from the time.

No one's arguing that Disney wasn't a racist man who ran a racist company, racistly, but if your going to talk about a specific sequence in a specific movie it helps to actually talk about it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Timeless Appeal posted:

... I did man.

Your remarks on how the "Happy Roundabout Workers" presents a hopeless situation were solid, but to claim the presentation of such malicious needs more than calling the segment unclear and instead gesturing at how some other Disney movies were racist.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 19, 2020

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Timeless Appeal posted:

I'm not just saying that it's unclear. It's unclear because someone were trying to present the scene as this universally brutal segment in which the workers can only be read as unhappy victims expressing their displeasure. That's not true. Dumbo is having fun. The other Elephants are sometimes laughing. The few animals who actually help, the camels are also not unhappy. It's unclear because the lyrics of the song are contradictory. But it is rainy and dark and there is a juxtaposition against the very childish train. I do understand how it can be viewed as an ironic song in which the the workers are in on the joke, but the self-depreciation betrays that a bit. The original reading was being way too selective.

I agree, the segment has tons of tonal contradictions and its self-depreciating. That's the point. That's the reason why there's an argument that the scene should be taken ironically: on behalf of all the irony present during the scene.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Timeless Appeal posted:

And regardless the sentiment "But they're doing hard and awful work so that means they're not actually happy" is discounting historical sentiments about Black Labor that we can point to multiple examples of throughout history but are clearly alive in multiple Disney films.

Saying "this specific scene in Dumbo depicts the laborers as miserable, and not happy" is not discounting historical sentiments about Black Labor.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Third season already started, first seven episodes aired back in the spring, next episode is coming September 21st.

The whole block release thing some cartoons are doing now is some nonsense.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
This isn't really relevant to the discussion but the talk about Snow White reminded me of this brutal take on the dwarves I read:

The Uses of Enchantment, Bruno Bettelheim posted:

"Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs," the name by which the tale is now widely known, is a bowdlerization which unfortunately emphasizes the dwarfs, who, failing to develop into mature humanity, are permanently arrested on a pre-oedipal level (dwarfs have no parents, nor do they marry or have children) are are but foils to set off the important developments taking place in Snow White.

I can't really think of the story now without being reminded of that.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
We're Back is one of those kids movies that reveals itself to be completely bonkers once given any kind of scrutiny. It's basically a reverse of the creationist mindset, where God created dinosaurs as a way to entice kids into getting into education.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Robindaybird posted:

It really was a spooky end that belongs in a much better film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwVogZQtjI4

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

FilthyImp posted:

I never knew they did a Power Rangers send up until I found it on YouTube randomly.

I knew this because the same episode had a Barney the Dinosaur parody, which my father made a point of recording.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
There's kind of a rough chuckle with the Animaniacs in that the cartoon characters they most strongly resemble are Bosko and Honey, which suggests a very different reason for why they were locked in the Warner vault. (Bosko and Honey earlier featured in a Tiny Toon's episode, which was their first appearance in some fifty years and had Bosko working as a "vault keeper.")

I get the impression that somewhere along the line the Animaniacs were meant to be a part of a reexamination and reappraisal of the old Bosko shorts, but that aspect of them got (perhaps wisely) squashed before production.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 15, 2020

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Neon Noodle posted:

Each Toy Story film builds upon the existential horror of the ideas posited by the first Toy Story film

I maintain they've never reached the level of Brave Little Toaster.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean we already had Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden.

That lovely fangame is somehow more enjoyable to play and has more coherent a story than the better half of actual big budget RPGs.

Seriously, what the gently caress.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

DeimosRising posted:

What's lovely about it

Understand that I'm using lovely in the non-pejorative sense.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hedrigall posted:

The 2020s are gonna be a golden age for talking animal media

The Rawring Twenties! 😼

I dunno. Talking animals may be a bridge too far for the burgeoning animated features industry.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Before we can mathematically prove the goodness of SU we must first establish this lemma: that the comet arc of Adventure Time was good.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Captain Invictus posted:

I want an antire full length animated movie in the style and surreality of Felix Colgrave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhVehcHwOB8&hd=1

Yo, don't sleep on this.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ThermoPhysical posted:

Should we probably reuse this thread since 2020 was kind of silent for movies in general?

It's not as massive as some but it is a 100+ page long thread.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think it makes sense, many of his movies are about childhood, and childhood ending, and that itself is a fact of life that is bittersweet. And his own childhood was during and immediately after world war II, and that is a lot more confusing narrative for a Japanese person. In the US, the story you get if you are 80 is "america was great, then we were the good guys, then america got even better!", while if you are 80 and japanese trying to talk about the world changing from your childhood it's a really mixed mess of "we were a bunch of fishing villages that turned into a military industrial superpower real quick, but it was bad, but we made cool planes, and we got utterly destroyed for it, but then we turned into a technological superpower and now everyone's life is much better than it was, but also worse, and we did it and that is good but also it happened because we did something bad, but it had to happen to get here, so I'm glad it happened but also it was bad" and I think that sort of very ambivalent, "it's good bad things are happening but now everything is better but also worse" makes a lot of sense as a theme for him.

One thing I picked up on when watching some older anime ('70s ish) is that they do the thing modern cartoons do where the younger characters often just have the one parent, but the reason is often obliquely hinted to be because their other parent died in the war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hedrigall posted:

If Disney didn’t want me to be a pirate then why did they produce, distribute and heavily market a popular film series that advocates piracy

Only registered members can see post attachments!