Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Trolls 2 wins animated movie the year already wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Isn't the Bob's Burgers movie scheduled for this year too?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Looper posted:

a correct opinion

I haven't seen the latter two, but I'd put Trolls over Moana and Zootopia, and I loved both of those.

I'd put Tangled over all of them though

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Alhazred posted:

Tangled is a movie that never aspires to be more than "not bad".

Naw, Tangled is great

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I will always die on the Tangled hill

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Podcasts rule sorry Pick

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Sleeveless posted:

Klaus' animation was like 90% algorithms so I'm glad it lost and something with actual craft behind it won.

:chloe:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Give the award to Klaus, cowards

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Into the Unknown got a best song nomination, which it's a good song but I feel like the Frozen 2 song that should've been nominated, even though it was a part of the worst thing about Frozen 2, is Kristoff's 80s love ballad

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Psshhh

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The Good Dinosaur wants to be too many different movies at once and fails at all of them. They should've taken the Old West with Dinosaurs part of the movie and just made that into a full movie cause it's the best part

Also the marketing kept hammering "What if the Dinosaurs DIDN'T go extinct??" but that particular story bit doesn't matter at all. Most people are not going to find it odd if there's a caveman and a dinosaur existing at the same time

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 15, 2020

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

anatomi posted:

Just saw Smallfoot and it was... not bad? Genuinely surprised by the depth of the story. Nice animation, too.

Smallfoot is firmly OK but has a dope as hell soundtrack

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

anatomi posted:

Channing Tatum's a talented singer!

He is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiUIH37NhVQ

The only song I outright dislike is the one the human sings where he just basically sings Under Pressure. That didn't work for me at ALL.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

My favorite part of Into The Uknown is this part:

quote:

You're not a voice.
You're just a ringing in my ear.
And if I heard you
WHICH I DON'T
I'm spoken for I fear

The building up of the strings kicks rear end, and also I just love the WHICH I DON'T, I dunno why that part gets me so much.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Regalingualius posted:

Coming soon: Frozen 3 will be live-action, at this rate.

They did this already in Once Upon a Time

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Balto looks like an off brand Don Bluth movie

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

There's finally a trailer for Minions: The Rise of Gru. Put it up in the OP but here it is here too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN1HNkoL2QA

I really wish this was more about Gru and less about the Minions.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

It's fake y'all

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

It is with great sadness that I report the Fox in Space channel appears to have several videos concerning fursuit...helmets(? heads?) on the front page. I can't say I'm surprised but at least the little vignettes are good.

Who cares

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Shadow Hog posted:

Apparently the Sonic film is not-terrible. I mean, we're talking "64% and thus "Fresh" on Rotten Tomatoes" here, not "genuinely great", but it's honestly better than I was expecting it to fare with critics. Doesn't unseat Detective Pikachu at 69%, though.

I can confirm that I loved it and thought it was great, however I'm also a big dumb Sonic fanboy 4life so

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Looper posted:

i would've liked the movie more if sonic got to be friends with a child or a grumpy teen who just got their drivers license instead of a small town good old red blooded american cop but otherwise it was fun and sonic himself looked really good

I would've preferred if they had not had Sonic befriend a cop too, but I think they made it work by having him be like, THE cop in a small town where everyone knows him and depends on him just as like, a person.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

LeJackal posted:

Is this cop character a bad guy working for Dr. Eggman or something?

He's just a cop in a small town. Just unlike all real life cops, he's a good guy.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

IShallRiseAgain posted:

sonic but green

To be fair, Scourge was one of the few unfortunate casualties after the post-Penders reboot

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

I wonder how many sequels they'll try for. one? two? thirty? they're completely hamstrung by how many Jim Carrey wants to do, though. He's clearly in it for the next one, but I wonder if he'll drop out past that. The movie's made nearly 60 million on its opening weekend which is, well, that's a lot more than I expected honestly, and the showing I went to was a sold out sunday afternoon, with the following showing also sold out. They've gotta try to milk this thing for all its worth, but I really wonder where they go from here.

I really hope they go way harder in the direction of the sonic bullshit. turn the fungal world into a variety of the robotnik zones. have the animals from sonic's world generate energy and thus robotnik wants to stuff'em in ladybug and fish robots as power sources to take over the world. throw in Scratch and Grounder as lackeys, I don't know. There's a bunch of bullshit they could pull from, hell they could even go the route of the saturday morning cartoon instead of big the cat and amy.

actually, I'd prefer that, over having big the cat and amy appear in any sonic movie

Bare minimum, I want Tails, Knuckles and actual glowey gold spikes up flying Super Sonic. After that I just hope they keep Tyson Hesse on board to keep the fan stuff going. Bonus would be Big the Cat and Shadow. I'd really love for them put Shadow in there. Make sure Tyson Hesse sticks around so that Shadow is treated with the absurdity his edgelord personality deserves and isn't treated too seriously.

I feel like the next movie will be Tails and Sonic becoming friends, and the villain story will be Robotnik tricking Knuckles. Plus you can use Knuckles to tie into the Chaos Emeralds.

I'm kind of shocked Agent Stone didn't have like, Snively as a middle name or something, I really thought that's where they were going to go with him.

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://twitter.com/i/events/1230003281461559296

The Onward preview reviews are out.

Looks like it's standard Pixar fare of emotional manipulation (it seems to hit harder if you've lost someone close to you so be warned with that), the plot itself is apparently pretty thin but Octavia Spencer kills it as well as Tom Holland and Chris Pratt (moreso Octavia than the latter two though).

Not enough trash unicorns.

I think Onward looks like a really fun movie, I'm excited for it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The whole mushroom planet was obviously supposed to be a reference to Mushroom Hill Zone but that "I hate mushrooms" line was 100% a Mario joke

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Phil Lord and Chris Miller is all they even needed to put in the headline. They didn't even need to put a picture of the movie.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I mean, one was a theatrical movie and one was straight to DVD

I'm not a huge fan of the second one for various reasons, but the first movie is basically a perfect movie. I love that the movie is able to get you to sympathize with both Goofy AND Max when they could so easily have had Max come off as just annoying and ungrateful. They also do a good job with handling Roxanne where she's actually a good character, for how little screentime she has.

I love when they're on the rapids and Max is like "I have my own life now dad!" and Goofy is like "I know that! I just want to be a party of it! You're my son Max. No matter how old you get, you'll always be my son". :qq:

edit: Oh and the scene between Goofy and Pete in the hot tub at the motel is so loving good

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 26, 2020

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I'm confused. Not because people are horny for the monster, but because they're horny for the fat wreck it ralph monster but not the body builder shark with the tentacle hands

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I'd watch another Simpsons movie. I didn't like the show anymore at the time but I thought the movie was a ton of fun. Then again I'm also a huge sucker for TV shows being made into theatrical movies.

Speaking of which, where the gently caress is the Bob's Burgers movie

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

blast0rama posted:

Looks like Sony is testing the next steps of the tech used on INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE on CONNECTED.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toBGv7yvIV8

The movie could be whatever, but the animation looks great.

Start giving the animated film oscar to Sony Pictures Animation even if the movie isn't good cause they do stuff Disney and Pixar just don't visually

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

There's something about the way Shaggy's face is animated that I absolutely hate. Scooby too to a slightly lesser extent. The way they're doing their mouths just looks really bad and I can't put my finger on why.

I think everything else in that trailer looked good though, although Fred's design feels pretty boring next to everyone else. I like that this Scooby Doo movie is really more of a Hanna Barbara movie. I'm not really a fan of Scooby Doo in the first place, but I like everything in the trailer... well except for said Scooby and Shaggy

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I'll see Trolls 2 in theaters then gladly pay $20 to watch it again at home :colbert:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I will go to bat for Storks the way Pick will go to bat for Smallfoot. I loved Storks

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Ice Age 2 was weird cause the romance with Manny and uh... queen latifa felt so forced. The argument on the teetering rocks was quite good though.

Ice Age 3 is even more unnecessary but the Australian weasel is fun

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The music is great (expect for the AWFUL Under Pressure... thing the main character sings), and Let It Lie is very cool both as a song and visually. The first song Perfection is just a good time.

I thought everything else was just kind of okay though. It was a fine movie but that's really it. I wish the yetis had a more interesting look to them.

There was that one character thought that is just awful and annoying for the sake of being annoying and he's not even funny, he's just the most annoying character in the history of the world and Smallfoot creators I gotta be real: Acknowledging how lovely and annoying the character is doesn't make him less annoying!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

What I liked is how they almost immediately make sure you see that Branch isn't just being ridiculous or paranoid about the Bergen. They pretty quickly are like "the Bergen are actually quite dangerous, and Poppy is wrong to do this crazy rave party" so Branch pretty early on is seen as reasonable instead of just the crazy conspiracy fun police.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

DC Murderverse posted:

i still think it's a little funny that the villains are rock music at a time when rock music as popular music is essentially dead. the rock trolls are right to fear change, for them, change means Imagine Dragons and 21 Pilots

and that the "new" genre that is given birth to is rap music when rap music is way, way more culturally relevant than rock and also has been around for roughly as long as electronic music, which seems to be one of the six strings of destiny or whatever.

There's a scene that was shown on Ellen that seems to imply that hip hop has been around for a bit but Poppy didn't know cause her map and knowledge was outdated

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Movie watchers are probably happy tho

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Phylodox posted:

gently caress movie theatres.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Grave of the Fireflies is the movie with the big sequence of the bomb going off where they have shots of people's faces and eyeballs melting off right