Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Good news, everyone! Netflix is making a Dragons Lair movie based on the hit animated arcade game!

With Ryan Reynolds.

Also it's live action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Cockmaster posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/10/21216864/robin-hood-remake-disney-plus-exclusive-animation-cgi

It was bound to happen, and now it is: Disney is now doing the "CGI remake" thing with Robin Hood. Except that this one is going to be a Disney+ exclusive.

What do you suppose the odds are that this will end up not sucking?

Odds are not good.

Finally got around to seeing the live action Aladdin. Ehh. Did Genie really need a love interest?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

https://www.slashfilm.com/trolls-world-tour-vod-sales/

RIPD, movie theaters.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I would like to take a moment to discuss a cartoon with a rather bleak and troubling backstory. The actual work does not delve too deeply into this, but it is there.

I am talking, of course, about TOTS, or Tiny Ones Transport Service.

If you are unaware of what this is, it is a cartoon on Disney Junior about a penguin and flamingo who join the all-stork TOTS, who deliver babies all over the world from their floating island. The service is lead by a Captain, with dozens of workers. Baby animals of all kinds come to TOTS to be delivered out to their "moms and pops", wherein they are taken care of by a kindly koala, and then sent on a mechanized conveyor belt in order to be processed, diapered, given a pacifier, and finally set into a crate, to be delivered by the aforementioned storks. Or, in the show's case, the flamingo and penguin. The penguin can't fly, but has a good sense of direction, and the flamingo can't navigate worth anything, but he does have wings. The two of them are probably paid as much as one stork is, but the Captain felt like taking a chance on them.

Paid? Oh, yeah. There's money in this. This is all for-profit! There is an episode where a peacock inventor comes to their island with a robot stork. He says he wants to show off his invention to the captain because he hopes she'll fire the storks and buy his robots. That has to mean money is changing hands at some point in this baby delivery service, right?? I mean, why would you buy these robot storks unless you're paying the flesh and blood ones! Presumably babies are purchased before the delivery, because the show never shows money changing hands (or paws, or flippers or whatever).

There has to be other baby delivery companies too, because in one day, they're delivering their first baby blue whale, and the next, they're about to celebrate their millionth delivery. Well either that's the first blue whale baby ever, or someone else is covering those deliveries. Which is probably a good idea, because the storks needed to all team up to deliver this whale, and there can't be much profit if you have six deliverers on one assignment.

Why yes, I am cooped up in a house with a 16-month old, why do you ask

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I will say that terrifying implications aside, it's kind of a cute show, and they stealth had a baby delivered to a lesbian couple, so that's nice. They got more screentime then the cyclops lady from Onward or whatever.

AMA about my opinions on Disney Junior shows

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

I don't know much about TOTS but I do know it's made by Titmouse of all studios

It has a lot in common with The Venture Bros.

Okay, maybe not really, but the presentation of the show shows that they actually care about how it looks and is animated, unlike those slapdash Puppy Dog Pals. drat you, Bingo and Rolly.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

Rolly is the best Dalmatian and I will hear none of this. :v:

I'm missing something right because they are both pugs!

And somewhat annoying.

But not as bad as PJ Masks.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

poo poo, wrong dog! I thought you were talking about that 101 Dalmatians show...which apparently Rolly isn't in?

PJ Masks is awful though.

They ARE awful. The bad guys all have the most obnoxious voices and those kids should be in bed, gosh darnit. Go to bed! How do you function the next morning being awake all night??

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

The tv series Hercules was a lot better than it should've been iirc. Or I might just be mixing it up quality wise with Aladdin's cartoon which was a blast.

The Aladdin cartoon was a lot of fun and it’s a shame it isn’t up on Disney+. As a D&D nerd from a very young age, the series was like Al-Qadim come to life (that was their Vaguely Arabia Sword and Sandals campaign setting).

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I’ll never watch Spies in Disguise but I’ve seen enough commercials to know that there is some sort of tearful hug between Will Smith bird and Peter Parker and some other pigeons and then Will Smith bird lays an egg so I have to ask is this addressed at any point why he’s laying an egg

Or was it a poop joke

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

Not gonna lie, I want to watch it now more because of those spoilers than any commercial or trailer

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

Hedrigall posted:

The Forbidden Adventures of Winnie the Pooh

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

Power Dad move

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

Animation 2020: Arguing About Catholicism

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

Roth posted:

The Yaks suck, but I think the other races are generally fine.

I think expanding on the world building is also different from "filling it with brony in jokes"

S4-7 is the peak imo, but I think all the seasons except 3 hover around the same level of quality.

There’s my little yaks?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

What the hell is a24

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

IUG posted:

It appears that there was also a Gravity Falls crossover episode, so two good things?

Amphibia has a Gravity Falls crossover episode this week

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

Nah, people just love Dolly because she's a big personality and very genuine and caring. Like part of her philosophy behind Dollywood was giving people great-rear end food like she used to eat at home . There's like whole buffet meals that coat $20.

Add to the fact that she's always been outspoken and unapologetic about who she is, along with a very full-throated support for BLM recently, and talking poo poo about her is about a good idea as dissing the Virgin Mary in Mexico City.

She also grew up dirt poor and hustled her rear end off to build her career.

She has a literacy program that sends a free book a month to children and it gave out its 100 millionth book two years ago.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

The cut scene where you found out how he lost his eye should have been kept but man I can kinda see why they got rid of it

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

anatomi posted:

Does the new Croods have a love story between the girls? That's pretty big. Or maybe I just read the trailer hella wrong.

You can’t hear the space in between the words but she isn’t saying “I’ve never had a girlfriend before” but rather “I’ve never had a girl friend before”.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

Forget Redwall, we are getting an Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents animated movie

I hope it’s good :ohdear:

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

VinylonUnderground posted:

Who on Earth is this for? A grimdark My Little Pony doesn't make sense. Why the hell would I want my kid to watch some grimdark dystopian stuff?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

The Aladdin tv series inspired a lot of stuff for my dungeons and dragons campaign. The show was basically Al-Qadim: the Series, but better because it also had insect-themed steam robots and Vikings.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

hiddenriverninja posted:

And sand witches!

One who had a stalker crush on Aladdin no less!

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm reminded of how Brave is ultimately about how a witch really only knows how to turn people into bears.

“You can do anything with magic, and you’re using it to turn people into bears? But with powers like that, you could cure cancer!”

“But I don’t want to cure cancer. I want to turn people into bears.”

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

Ccs posted:

This isn’t a film but I’d just like to remark that the animated Harley Quinn series is a joy and has some of the best voice acting I’ve ever heard.

Ron Funches as King Shark is a JOY

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

Finally got around to seeing The Good Dinosaur, thanks to my son being home sick. It, uh, wasn’t very good. It had some good parts (the reverse shark fin thing with the pterodactyls was very cool) but otherwise I can see why it didn’t do too well in theaters. Also I hate how Arlo and his family look.

It should have just been about the ranching tyrannosaurus.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

BonoMan posted:

Y'all suck, The Good Dinosaur is good.

Explain because I just saw it and unless I missed something, it was actually quite bad

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

Watching Cars with my son for the fifth time. It’s grotesque that these cars have tongues. I forgot about the tongues from when I saw it in the theater until now. If you had asked me if they had tongues I would have said of course not, but McQueen is flopping that loving thing around. Absolutely grotesque.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I don’t care that they are making a new Hotel Transylvania but there is a small subset of people on Twitter losing their minds that the invisible man looks different than how they expected and that is amusing enough to justify its existence

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

No hashtag, just search invisible man and have fun!!

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

The 7th Guest posted:

new cute superman just dropped

Why is the girl from The Owl House manhandling Clark Kent?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

I think my favorite kid's show is Bluey. It's super easy to tell when the parents are very much done with their kids' poo poo but won't just snap at them (but they have actually) and while the kids may not pick up on it, anyone older than the target demographic is gonna notice they're done playing games but just wanna make the kids happy.

Also Bandit is best dad. Seriously, he's like Greg Universe tier of dad. It's refreshing to see good dads in cartoons lately after dads like Homer Simpson, Peter Griffin, Randy Marsh, Richard Watterson, etc.

Also I bought a Bluey toy just to have a Bandit figure in my collection. He's gonna stand next to Scarlet Witch and Magneto. :v:

I’ve seen more than a few shows on Disney Jr thanks to having a two and a half year old. Most are grating, but Bluey is legitimately good and I’m surprised it is allowed to deal with the stuff it does. You can watch Mickey and friends try and figure out shapes and then when Bluey comes on, she finds a hurt bird and takes it to the vet with her dad but then it dies (and they use the word “died”!) and “it’s out of our hands” is the advice from her dad. Wowsa.

Bluey good is what I’m saying.

Also they had an episode that was almost on completely silent in a solar system dream sequence with the background music pulled from Holst’s planet suite.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

Also I appreciate TOTS sneaking in same sex couples a few times

ITT DISNEY PARENT CHAT

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Looks amazing, hope it doesn't get cancelled after only one season. Why yes I'm still kind of sad about the Dark Crystal series, why do you ask? :smith:

Tantamount to a war crime that they canceled it.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

My son’s new movie obsession is Raya. Send help. This movie was not very good.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

BonoMan posted:

Counterpoint -..... wait no counterpoint, it's def not very good.

This brings me to something though, I love the skin texture in Luca. There's actual texture, and freckles and some grain and just in general it feels tactile. I cannot stand the rubbery-ness of everyone in Raya. Like, it actually gives me a negative reaction to the characters.

Also this is my favorite moment in Luca:

I missed all the Raya posts because it took me forever to watch it but I imagine everyone was mostly negative about it. What a bunch of wasted potential. Five countries to visit means we barely spend time in any of them, the message about trust was poorly done (Naamari’s finger was tightening on the trigger, it’s bullshit that she tries to say “Raya it’s just as much your fault”), I did not like the magical karate baby, and Sisu’s design sucked. Also the script. And lots of little things. Why did no one in the crowd in Talon react to the fact that the “most feared chief” appeared among them and “saved” the woman they were all threatening? Why are the monkeys the only animals seemingly affected by the Druun? Why did I like the Druun better when they were called the Sha and pandas were fighting them?

Luca however was very good, very pretty, and I loved the music.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I forgot about watching the Sing 2 trailer as soon as it ended, as if the Men in Black neuralyzer flashed me the second the video stopped.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

The first two episodes of Monsters at Work is out now. It’s alright! It’s fine. Some laughs, good premise, and I like the voice cast. I don’t know if it will go as heartfelt as the original (doubtful).

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

Larryb posted:

Did anybody from the movies come back or is it all soundalikes/new characters?

Mike, Sully, Roz, Celia, those two teenager characters are all in it and all voiced by the originals. The only person who shows up who isn’t that I noticed was Fungus, Randall’s lackey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

Cannot wait to wash the stench of Raya away with what looks like a fun colorful movie with songs.