Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Thumbelina is Warner, Anastasia is Fox. So, if anything, it would make more sense for the latter film to be on Disney+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Macaluso posted:

I'd put Tangled over all of them though

Again, I just wanna shout out to the improbably good Tangled TV show.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Gondor has no pants.

Gondor needs no pants.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

flashy_mcflash posted:

My daughter just discovered that Tangled series too, and it's really excellent. Cool art style and decent writing as well.

It really is flabbergasting how good it is. Who would have thought that a TV series sequel to a Disney princess movie would actually be great?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Darth TNT posted:

Do you tend to go to the movies alone? Or is that 10 bucks for everyone that comes along?

Yeah, exactly this. If my wife and I decide to watch one of these movies for $20, we're probably saving quite a bit of money considering we're also not using gas or paying concession stand prices for drinks and snacks.

I kind of want to do this also to show the studios that this is a viable business model. Honestly, gently caress movie theaters in this day and age. Overpriced, crowded, inconvenient bullshit.

EDIT: Also, home viewing allows for easier closed captioning, which is important for people like my half-deaf wife*.

*Not to be confused with my deaf half-wife.

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Mar 17, 2020

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I mean...not to get into legally dubious territory, here, but what’s to stop you from, say, letting your friends and family log into your account or use your code or whatever to watch the movie during the 48 hr window? Then you’ll definitely get your money’s worth.

Unless you’re saying you have no friends or family, in which case sorry about that.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Hawkperson posted:

Nah that’s a good idea. I still think $20 is lame though, if there’s ever a time to just go ahead and stop capitalism-ing,I feel like now would be good.

I mean...I think things like rent and food and utilities should probably take precedence in terms of un-capitalizing over things like movies that are admittedly a luxury. People need to eat, they don’t need to see Griffin McElroy fart glitter on Justin Timberlake.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Hawkperson posted:

Why not both? :shrug:

Edit: I think we’re gonna see soon how important maintaining mental health is anyway

It’s not like there’s a dearth of entertainment out there. Nobody’s mental welfare is dependent on seeing Trolls 2. Now, taking steps towards demonetizing food, shelter, health and mental care, and Internet access are very real possibilities depending on how things shake out in the coming days. Those are a good first step.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
gently caress movie theatres. When all this is over, they can transition themselves into live entertainment venues. Plays and concerts for everyone!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

The_Doctor posted:

Nah, I absolutely see cinemas bouncing back after this. People will wanna be out so much more.

I would think they'd want to interact with each other more than just sitting in a dark room together. Bars and clubs will explode. I can see theatres dying out except for maybe big, big event movies, like Endgame.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Darth TNT posted:

Easy, they're not old like we are.

You need less sleep as you get older, not more.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Ghost Leviathan posted:

P sure every Don Bluth movie is uncomfortably horny in retrospect

Except for The Land Before Time.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's instead uncomfortably hungry.

Wanna eat that fuckin' leaf.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Honestly? I watched Atlantis maybe a couple of weeks ago and it did absolutely nothing for me. Especially after Tarzan, which was at least gorgeous. The pacing in Atlantis is absolute dogshit, and it has way more characters than it has any idea what to do with.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Treasure Planet is better than Atlantis.

I will agree with this right up to the point where Martin Short’s character pops up. Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but I found his whole schtick grating and out of place and it kind of ruined the end of the movie for me. Like the gargoyles in Hunchback.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

pospysyl posted:

His only non human features are pointy ears.

He 100% has a dog nose.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I feel like Disney movies started trailing off when they abandoned the traditional musical format. Maybe I’m wrong, though.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Disney+ only appears to have the first two seasons. Same with Microsoft. The iTunes store looks like it has all of it, if you want to pay for it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
You could always try YouTube. Some episodes were uploaded in two minute snippets. Not sure how legal that is, though.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I looked it up on my iPhone without any trouble. Maybe try a different device?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Winklebottom posted:

The original design for Flynn was pretty good I thought

I guess it was sorta reused for Kristoff

He looks like the third Stabbington brother.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

FilthyImp posted:

You missed when Ellen Paige called out his homophobic-rear end church and he was like 'hey not all of our church ....'

Guarantee the guy has some ALL LIVES shirts in his closet.

I really don't think this is fair at all. Pretty much every church ever, if you go high enough, has done terrible things or has some terrible views. It doesn't stop churches on the local or personal level from being good or helpful. Why does Chris Pratt especially have to answer for his whole church but every Catholic celebrity doesn't?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

FilthyImp posted:

Catholics aren't the hip cool church for Hollywood up-and-comers, for one.

Plus this is what one of the pastors said about the LGBTQ+ community:

"Hillsong Church welcomes ALL people but does not affirm all lifestyles. Put clearly, we do not affirm a gay lifestyle and because of this we do not knowingly have actively gay people in positions of leadership, either paid or unpaid."

And that's, you know, not addressing the allegations of pushing conversion therapy.

Again, though...why does Pratt have to personally answer for that yet neither, say, Leonardo DiCaprio nor Stephen Colbert need to personally answer for the terrible stuff the Catholic church has done?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

Largely because they are not discussing the church as a whole (which is a significantly diverse thing even among different parishes) but Hillsong Church in particular.

Right, but he's said that his experience with his own personal church has been different than what's apparently espoused by the organization as a whole, which is, like, everyone's experience with church, isn't it?

On a meta, global level, they're terrible, power hungry, intolerant political organizations, but on an individual, per-parish level they can be helpful and friendly and open. Like, if you want to share your faith with some people, you pretty much have to ignore what's going on higher up.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

FilthyImp posted:

I mean, it's not him saying "we need to own up to the molestation, damage to access to birth control, antiabortion, anti-gay sentiment..." but it's a bit better than "well my church is very inclusive actually because they didn't stone me when I was going through a divorce" when someone else brought up explicitly anti-gay bias in the church and leadership.

I dunno, Colbert saying that the Catholic church used to be bad feels like a hell of a cop out. In the end, all of these people have to balance their faith and community with the terrible things the larger organizations have done, continue to do, and certainly do in the future. I don't see why Chris Pratt is particularly awful in this regard, and why everyone seems so eager to lambast him specifically.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I mean...maybe he just likes his church? Maybe he enjoys the community. Maybe what he sees on his level is genuine unconditional love and acceptance.

I’m not saying he’s for certain a completely cool dude, it just doesn’t seem fair to me that he’s somehow asked to bear the burden of his entire church’s misdeeds while others maybe aren’t.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

I mean... honest question: So What?

"I found a community that loves and accepts me in particular" doesn't mean it isn't a horrible toxic community. That sense of love and acceptance is used by everything from cult leaders to neo nazis. It is a powerful tool for assuring loyalty.

Even if Chris Pratt sees that it doesn't mean he isn't still supporting a terrible organization.

Again, though, “horrible toxic community” applies to pretty much all of them. It just seems a bit lovely that Pratt gets it in particular because his flavour of toxic community...doesn’t have the weight of centuries of atrocities behind it?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

No.

The Church (as a worldwide organization) is responsible for terrible atrocities. However The Church is not the same as The Religion and should not be mistaken for that. Many local churches do not adhere to the The Church in the same way. My parents go to a church where the pastor is gay and married and runs an aid group for LGBTQ+ kids. It is possible to hold your own religion or have your own church without being forced to accept those things or even to speak out against them. Many religious individuals from all faiths do this because they genuinely believe in their religion, not the organization.

In Chris Pratt's case he is actively supporting a specific church. (Technically they have three locations but that is a Megachurch for you.) This is much harder to divorce from The Religion because he is supporting a specific church that is actively horrible.

There's more than three, though. There are twenty-some Hillsong churches in Australia alone. I have no idea what the Los Angeles branch espouses. Pratt has said that his church has helped people regardless of their sexual orientation the same way they helped him regardless of his marital status.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

Other people have said otherwise. That is how all this started. Now either they are lying or rich white charismatic megastar Chris Pratt has the rules bent for him because he is rich and white. When the church was asked for comment they gave the lame "we WELCOME all people but don't affirm all livestyles." If you think that attitude isn't carried over to the people they help then you're a lot more confident than I in a Megachurch not being a horrifyingly abusive piece of poo poo.

I don't think anyone's lying, but I thought this started because of the views the church's founders back in Australia espoused. Do I think the Hillsong organization as a whole is a piece of poo poo? Of course. As I said, I think most churches are pieces of poo poo on the macro scale. But like you yourself said, sometimes individual churches/parishes can be exceptions. Do I think for absolutely certain that the LA branch of Hillsong is such an exception? No. Do I think it's possible? Sure, maybe. Especially if hiding their anti-LGBTQ beliefs will make it easier to attract more high-profile celebrities like Pratt.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

paradoxGentleman posted:

Atlantis? Really? I mean, it had some neat art and a cool aesthetic, but I don't remember it being that great. It has been awhile since I've seen it, though...

It’s only been a few weeks since I saw it and I can confirm it’s not good.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I went and re-watched a slew of movies from the Disney renaissance back at the beginning of the pandemic, and Atlantis really just left absolutely no impression on me whatsoever.

The one that surprised me was Pocahontas. Turns out, it's a really gorgeous, charming movie that's absolutely murdered by the fact that it's a horrible interpretation of actual events. If they'd gone the Avatar route and just fictionalized the whole thing, it would have been amazing.

And maybe tone down the goofy animal sidekicks a bit, but that's a constant complaint in most Disney movies from that era.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Because nobody cares about Avatar.

Unless you're talking about the Nickelodeon show, in which case everyone loves it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Avatar was basically a 3D tech demo.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

ConfusedUs posted:

Tangled - I absolutely adore this movie, especially how it explores themes of familial abuse and reclaiming agency for oneself. It’s easily the best of the “modern” 3d Disney films.

I know I’ve mentioned the Tangled animated series a couple of times before because I absolutely love it, but I particularly love the ways it furthers these themes instead of just retreading them.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I feel like Mulan isn't the best test balloon for this. Are a significant portion of people hyped about it? Like, $30 hyped?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
They should do live-action remakes of their promising failures like The Black Cauldron.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The problem with Hunchback is that most of the points in its favour had to do with it being a gorgeously animated film. They're never going to go full-on everyone dies in the end faithful to the novel, so I think the best we could hope for is just a substantially less interesting film overall, like Aladdin.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Pigbuster posted:

There's a musical based on the Disney film that actually does go with the everybody dies ending, along with a bunch of previously novel-only plot points, so it's possible they could go off of that.

You know they won't, though, right? They'll hew as close to the movie as possible while maybe toning down the gargoyle and baby goat hijinx and maybe tossing a song or two from the musical in (while inexplicably butchering the pacing and staging of the accompanying musical number).

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

....if you catch a kangaroo are you allowed to keep it?

Have you seen how jacked kangaroos are? They keep you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Pick posted:

I reached a point, and I don't know exactly when it happened, because as a kid you can get crushes on cartoon characters all the time, but I just hit a point where I just can't find a cartoon sexy. It just looks like a cartoon. So if the selling point if something is predicated on how sexy it is, and it's a cartoon, I'm just going to be confused. Confused and bored.

I don’t know about you, but I definitely had much more hyperbolic ideas about what constituted “sexy” when I was a kid/teenager. I don’t know how much of that was hormones and immaturity, and how much of it was growing up in the 80s and being bombarded with that kind of imagery. Go back and watch, like, Night Court and see the kind of charicatures Dan Fielding dated and that’s the kind of imagery I associated with “sexiness”. I’m super glad I grew out of that.