Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I watched Puss in Boots: the Last Wish and I think it's pretty good but maybe not quite as incredible as people some people are acting like. It's very well executed but I think partly because of having so many characters and so having less time for developing each set of characters, a lot of it feels like it ends up playing out a bit too exactly like you would expect. The wishing start thing sort of feels a little bit tired at this point, too, but on the other hand it's used mostly as a device for character development, and pretty drat well, so maybe I can't complain.

Combining all of them makes it feel a bit fresher, but it's still kind of almost like you mashed three fairly generic movie plots together and I wonder if it wouldn't have been better off removing one set of antagonists.

Maybe this is unfair, though. Perhaps there has been a lack of movies like this that just do a really good job telling a fairly straightforward story recently, and the animation is pretty good, so it probably does deserve a lot of the praise it's been getting, it just feels like some people have been acting like it's the best movie ever, and it definitely isn't that good.

mystes fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Mar 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't think lobo took that much of the runtime and he does serve mostly to show puss's character development.

However, I think in terms of his arc and the character development with puss in boots they didn't need the actual fight with Lobo at the end, though, and it might have been stronger without it. (However otherwise there wouldn't have been a fight sequence at the end that was actually focused on puss so maybe that's why they wanted that.)

My only issue with goldilocks is that you could easily predict her entire arc from pretty much the second she appeared on screen, but on the other hand it was very well done.

mystes fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 1, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

repiv posted:

despite how they hype it up the corridor thing isn't even automating animation, it's automating sloppy rotoscoping
it's like a high budget joel haver video

mystes
May 31, 2006

Isn't there an AI ethics thread or something somewhere where this conversation can take place?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Data Graham posted:

How can you have death of the author if the author was never alive
Rokos basilisk will bring the author to life to die in the future

mystes
May 31, 2006

Boxman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooZdaF2zMlM

These second/third tier animation studios making Disney's house style look worse and worse lol
I'm not sure the style is exactly my cup of tea, but I don't think I've seen anything that does such a good job of achieving a cray-pas or oil painted look while having the effect be so stable between frames before

mystes
May 31, 2006

NieR Occomata posted:

Sometimes I think about Slowpoke Rodriguez, cousin to Speedy Gonzalez, and get sad because of how he’s literally every negative stereotype of Mexicans in one character but gently caress is Slowpoke Rodriguez such an incredible name for a character. There’s a way to rehabilitate SG nowadays, SR is never ever coming back, nor should…but man that guy ruled.
I think Slowpoke Rodriguez would be a lot more obviously offensive if he was supposed to be slow as an ethnic stereotype rather than just to be the opposite of Speedy Gonzalez?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Rhonne posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAMKwDsfUeU

Movie looks like it could be fun, but I can't help but laugh that the main villain is basically just Ariel.
Not that it actually has anything in common with it but I wonder if someone at Dreamworks saw Luca and was like "we need a sea monster movie"

mystes
May 31, 2006

It probably depends on what Netflix is asking them to make. There's plenty of room for Netflix to gently caress it up.

mystes
May 31, 2006

starkebn posted:

Well, they're really ramping up how recent a movie they will remake
At this rate I can't wait until 2030 when they will start releasing the live action remakes simultaneously with the cartoons

mystes
May 31, 2006

repiv posted:

it's only a matter of time before they remake zootopia in "live action" ala the lion king remake isn't it

it'll be hideous but also somehow make 10 billion dollars
It's already cg so I guess they could just rerender it with slightly more realistic looking models?

They just have to watch out for that buncanny valley effect

mystes
May 31, 2006

I hope there are no songs in the live action moana remake just because lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

Das Boo posted:

$2 prediction: Live-action Frozen is already in the works, they just haven't announced it yet.
Theoretically live action frozen would probably make more sense than most of the other remakes but they would still ruin it the same way as the other ones by not being able to decide whether to slavishly follow the cartoon or make it its own thing and making something half-assed and terrible in between

mystes
May 31, 2006

They don't own the black cauldron IP so I don't see them wanting to make another movie of it even if they could license it

mystes
May 31, 2006

Zootopia+ is the one that's the series I think, too

mystes
May 31, 2006

Phylodox posted:

I feel the same way every time I see California Man instead of Encino Man.
Just be glad you're not in a country where it's Florida Man

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Bee posted:

Honestly, I almost rather we'd get these than try to shoehorn every single Nintendo franchise into an Illumination movie. We don't need a Nintendo cinematic universe, we don't need a Zelda movie (we definitely don't need one by Dreamworks), but Luigi's Mansion and Donkey Kong Country would be great spotlights on characters and settings that Illumination clearly enjoyed working on.
How about Duck Hunt by Wes Anderson?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1650848054096936962?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw

I wish they made this in the 2000s. Larry Hagman would have been the perfect villain.
Finally a chance for that infamous fanart to become canon

mystes
May 31, 2006

I haven't seen a movie in theaters since like 2018 or something and even that was mostly just because I got the ticket for free but I liked Into the Spider-Verse enough that I might actually go see the new one in theaters if the reviews were good.

2:20 is really loving long though

mystes
May 31, 2006

TwoPair posted:

While I definitely understand the sentiment, I'm too broke to invest in a great speaker setup so I like being able to go watch things big and loud now and then, especially for the blockbusters that warrant such an experience.
counterpoint: movie theaters are too loving loud

mystes
May 31, 2006

Das Boo posted:

I finally went to see Mario for myself and it might been that I was high, but I found two things extremely funny:

1. The foley and dialogue during the pop songs wasn't altered even a smidge from what would have suited the orchestral accompaniment. You'd usually have both muted or dialogue amplified during anything with lyrics to differentiate the (non)diegetic sound. Instead, they tripped over each other.

2. All dialogue in this film was decorative, either in the form of a punchline or a reference. I've never actually witnessed a story with no connective tissue. I told my friend as we walked out, "I feel like I just watched Enter the Void."

10/10, would blitzed watch again.
I just saw it a couple days ago and it was funny because there were so many lines where I couldn't understand a couple words of what they were saying and it didn't even matter at all

mystes
May 31, 2006

Boxman posted:

I realize this is not quite animation, but it's close enough to be on topic.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1655369066406617088

Arhghhghg Sebastian.
God, they really have the worst loving sense about where to stick close to the cartoons and where to make changes. This whole scene is like some sort of weird uncanny valley thing.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wonder if suits are afraid audiences will think the movie is over and leave, like with Grindhouse.
They probably just don't want to have the theater in use for that much extra time

mystes
May 31, 2006

Robindaybird posted:

Because "Consent" nevermind Ariel was just as gung-ho about it.

It's clear the remakes are only focusing on the lovely faux-feminist takes of films by people who only watched the movie as kids - the whole 'can't do kiss the girl because a girl who can't talk clearly can't consent' and Ursula's line about using sex appeal might just give girls body image issues.
So they don't kiss in the live action version?

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's just the same thing they've done with the other live action remakes

They clearly think that going for the full musical numbers would be out of place in a modern live action version, but they also don't want to delete the scene entirely and they want to keep some motifs in the music, so they end up creating something that makes no sense.

Turning this into the idea that the live action remakes are too woke or whatever chud talking point would only make any sense if this was literally the only song they did it to, but they've been doing stuff like this in all the remakes.

They probably really either need to 1) make completely different movies based on the same story rather than copying the cartoons at all, 2) make movies that feel more like musicals or something where musical numbers don't feel out of place (but even then the other elements from the cartoons would feel out of place), or 3) just don't make live action remakes at all.

mystes fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 9, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

Robindaybird posted:

I'm not complaining about wokeness, but fixing problems that never really were problems in the first place due to bad-faith readings.
You're assuming a motivation for the change (your theory seems to be that it's based on the idea that Disney is worried a mute person can't consent or something so it would be inappropriate to have the lyrics "kiss the girl"?) which doesn't seem to make sense in the context of how they've changed the other live action versions unless there's some specific evidence this was the motivation for the change, or this idea that Ariel couldn't consent to being kissed was some sort of common leftist critique of the original cartoon version of the Little Mermaid.

Barring some specific reason to attribute the change to that motivation, I'm not sure why you would come up with that explanation unless you already think that the live-action remakes are "woke" and therefore some sort of perceived political incorrectness should presumptively be the default explanation for all the changes, so it seems like you are in effect complaining about wokeness, or at least you are implicitly assuming the premise that the disney remakes are "too woke".

But I guess who cares because the result is bad either way

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 9, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

Macaluso posted:

Speaking of the little mermaid, this poo poo sucks so loving bad:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1656012256428138497
I'm surprised they didn't decide to go for realistic lighting/coloring for that depth and make everything dark and monochromatic while they were at it

mystes
May 31, 2006

a strange fowl posted:

i am beginning to believe the theory they're making the live action films as bland and visually unexciting as possible to artificially generate nostalgia and demand for the originals
you'd think there would be an easier way to do that somehow

mystes
May 31, 2006

Instead of an extended directors cut they should release an official five minute speedrun version of the movie

mystes
May 31, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

But, speaking anecdotally, a lot of people I know can only respond to media up to a certain level, maybe capping out at young teen level. You put something more complicated in front of them and their brains slide off it. And I'm not talking Lacan here, I'm talking Nathan For You.
Lol that Nathan For You is your example of sophisticated adult media

mystes
May 31, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

Your reading comprehension is bad, they're saying that even Nathan For You is too advanced for some people.
It's still implying that it's more "advanced" than the original Little Mermaid cartoon at least and I'm not sure i agree with that

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's operating using a level of irony that The Little Mermaid isn't, and therefore demands slightly more inference from the audience to, say, pick up that Nathan Fielder's Nathan persona isn't legitimate, but that the events unfolding on the show mostly are. I've been in conversations with people who've not been able to grok that, but had no problems with Disney material, so I think it's a decent comparison.

The Little Mermaid is a great film, don't get me wrong, but it's not really using an unreliable narrator or playing with genre in the way Nathan For You is, nor is it pursuing any other approaches that might make it a slightly more difficult read, and is therefore fundamentally a more straightforward experience for audiences to interpret.

Additionally, as the other poster said, I'm not putting the NFY on some sort of pedestal by virtue of comparison. Just suggesting that it's slightly harder to read.
I guess I don't disagree with the idea that NFY is conceptually more complicated than a lot of other shows (in that sense maybe it's more "advanced" than most prestige tv shows if you must use a word "advanced" despite the fact that it could imply a value judgement) and may be something that some people like and some people don't like, or might be hard for kids to understand, but your original post implies that adults who don't like NFY are somehow not enjoying it because they "can only respond to media up to a certain level, maybe capping out at young teen level" and that people who don't enjoy it are doing something analogous to failing to eat healthy or exercise which is just insanely dumb.

It's okay for people to have different taste and just because people don't like a tv show that you like doesn't mean they're wrong, and it kind of feels like you're indirectly casting yourself as morally/intellectual superior for liking a specific tv show.

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 14, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm not worried about like or dislike, for the most part, but about this weird anger or need for validation that we've all seen pop up all over the place.
Maybe people are defensive because whenever the topic of cartoons comes up people come out of the woodwork to post weird takes like "a lot of people I know can only respond to media up to a certain level, maybe capping out at young teen level" :rolleyes:

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 14, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lazy_Liberal posted:

black cauldron reboot when?? the taran series got a lot of juice that ain't been squeezed
I don't think disney would want to do it again because they don't have control of the ip, there isn't that much merchandising potential, and the previous movie did poorly. I'm surprised nobody else has tried to do an adaptation though. Doing it as a streaming show might make sense

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think Luca was great and it was only two years ago, so I think Pixar is still able to make good movies even if they're also making ones that aren't so good

mystes
May 31, 2006

What kid wouldn't want an action figure of the protagonist of a movie about a guy loving everything up and having a mid-life crisis?

mystes
May 31, 2006

They should make a movie of the book How To Train Your Dragon while they're at it

mystes
May 31, 2006

Larryb posted:

Anyway, have a new trailer for the TMNT movie:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=IHvzw4Ibuho
That actually looks a lot better than I was expecting from the previous trailer

The previous trailer made it seem like the animation was good but the humor might not land but based on this trailer it doesn't seem like it will have that problem

mystes
May 31, 2006

After so many absolutely terrible versions, I'm not even particularly nostalgic for TMNT despite watching the first cartoon when I was a kid, but I actually think I want to see this one

I'm getting more of a Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse vibe in a good way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

IUG posted:

The end credits show the humans and robots reclaiming the world. I took it that they could have still lived in the docked ship as they made the planet more livable too.
Until I realized that the end credits showed that, I kind of thought the most reasonable interpretation was that the ending was just pretending to be positive but presumably they were all going to die after that