Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

how long until one of the Ants sets up a family-friendly comedy lucha promotion with an all-caps romanized Japanese name, that very definitely isn't CHIKARA and where quack is banned from going within 200 feet of any venues they run
KAIJU BIG BATTEL already exists though????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

how long until one of the Ants sets up a family-friendly comedy lucha promotion with an all-caps romanized Japanese name, that very definitely isn't CHIKARA and where quack is banned from going within 200 feet of any venues they run

Merlok and Ultramantis already own a small promotion together (Lehigh Valley Athletics Council). Might be too small to expand.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
https://twitter.com/razerhawk2000/status/1277784691811258368?s=19

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Somewhat related: Coward Tony sign Hallowicked
You might've already seen the last of Wicked, outside of like an LVAC show.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
CHIKARA may be dead but Wrestling Is Fun is gonna make a big comeback!

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

It’s a real shame Wicked never got a bigger shot anywhere

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

All the ex-Chikara folks in the comments on this make me hopeful.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

It’s a real shame Wicked never got a bigger shot anywhere

I thought he was content with his non wrestling job that he was ok with not going to one of the big feds.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
I'd be happy if the GCW weekend gives some of these Chikara kids a chance

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
I wonder how many ex-CHIKARA peeps are gonna get rid of their old gimmicks and start fresh. That seems to be what Razerhawk is doing.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
the Hawkz gimmicks were pretty much unknowns and not as endearing as the Ants gimmicks were imo. Like unless Quack is demanding their masks back or he'll sue then i don't see any reason why others wouldn't keep the gimmicks, besides maybe boomer hatfield whose gimmick doesn't really work anymore

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006
Quack doesn't have enough money to sue Condron into giving the Jervis property back, he's not suing his kids.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

KungFu Grip posted:

the Hawkz gimmicks were pretty much unknowns and not as endearing as the Ants gimmicks were imo. Like unless Quack is demanding their masks back or he'll sue then i don't see any reason why others wouldn't keep the gimmicks, besides maybe boomer hatfield whose gimmick doesn't really work anymore

I mean, the Hawkz gimmick isn't good? After 2 years as Razerhawk, I'd be ready to get a new gimmick, too. Plus, who'd have the heart to tell Molly McCoy that she didn't retire Razerhawk after all?

Also, gently caress Quackenbush, gently caress all the people involved.

And those post-show emails are the height of unprofessionalism, that I'm sure he somehow thought were him trying to bring professionalism to the industry. Just the dirt worst.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Wazzu posted:

And those post-show emails are the height of unprofessionalism, that I'm sure he somehow thought were him trying to bring professionalism to the industry. Just the dirt worst.

I feel like they weren't so much him trying to bring professionalism as it was imparting his wisdom as a learned scholar of professional wrestling whose mastery of the sport was far and beyond anyone else's. I honestly think he probably thought he was doing people a favor and helping them out with this and probably even patted himself on the back because he was such a good guy giving this advice away for free when he could charge people for a seminar to impart this knowledge.

It's all just so loving smarmy.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's all so funny because he could have done the same thing in bulleted form in person or privately to each email, but he has figured the best thing for everyone was to write a DVD review you'd find on the Torch's site or something. Except it's from the guy that pays and for some trains you.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

They uploaded the final show, Cibernetico 2020. Originally, it aired in two parts on consecutive Saturday mornings, but then all that stuff happened and it finally showed up on Chikaratopia with zero fanfare.

Due to COVID, the format is kind of weird. It's in the Wrestle Factory, but there's no commentary and there's no crowd. The audience and crowd noise comes from a bunch of the younger wrestlers watching the show in a living room. There are also a lot of close-ups in the matches, including a bit where ZERO put someone in a Big Swing and we see ZERO from the opponent's POV. Just a weird setup.

- Boomer Hatfield vs. Sonny Defarge goes on forever. Well, 25 minutes, but in this kind of setting, it really feels overly long. It ends with Defarge winning. In a post-match interview and later meeting up with the other wrestlers in that living room, Boomer tries to show that he isn't affected by the loss, but appears down regardless.

- BLANK vs. Cabana Man Dan. Cabana Man Dan's gimmick is that he's an islander guy who just likes to have fun and BLANK considers that too tacky to stand. CMD ended up winning.

- FIST vs. Red Queen and One-Eyed Jack was about two rudo teams with two points competing for a title match that will never happen. Red Queen is Lady Frost in a new gimmick and One-Eyed Jack is her angry henchman, wearing one of the most inventive and coolest masks done for Chikara. Fittingly, the match was preceded with a video package that celebrated the history of FIST in all of its forms. Huckabee rolled up One-Eyed Jack while pulling the tights and won.

- The Spoiler vs. Green Ant. The Spoiler's deal is that he's kind of a poor man's Matt Classic or that masked wrestler character Brian Zane always plays on Wrestling with Wregret. Or he's the latest in the line of a gimmick created decades ago. Whatever. The point of the match is that it's two "legacy" wrestlers taking each other on where Green Ant hopes to make the original proud. He ended up winning by reversing a low-blow into the Chikara Special.

- Team Wrestle Factory vs. Team Crucible is a 6-on-6 Cibernetico match with Crucible rules. In other words, there are no ropes or pinfalls. Eliminations only come from submissions, knockout, ref stoppage or ring outs. The Wrestle Factory team is made up of Quackenbush, Mobius, ZERO and three of those Crucible washout guys whose names I can't remember. Team Crucible is Ophidian, Whisper, Kimber Lee, Lance Steel, Devantes and Matt Makowski. A few times in we see Kimber Lee whisper comments to her teammates to cause potential turmoil (ie. "Why do you let Ophidian talk to you like that?"). Quack is out first due to ring out and eventually the Crucible wins with four guys left. Ophidian has Devantes and Lance Steel leave the ring and forfeit. Whisper refuses and fights back, defeating Ophidian with a knockout blow.

The final Chikara show ends with Whisper standing tall while the tecnico roster cheers him on while watching it on TV.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Wait, there's a Lance Steel back? Or rather there was a Lance Steel? One of the first memories I have of Chikara is the collapse of Lance-a-lot & Lance Steel vs Lance Steel

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gavok posted:

- The Spoiler vs. Green Ant. The Spoiler's deal is that he's kind of a poor man's Matt Classic or that masked wrestler character Brian Zane always plays on Wrestling with Wregret. Or he's the latest in the line of a gimmick created decades ago. Whatever. The point of the match is that it's two "legacy" wrestlers taking each other on where Green Ant hopes to make the original proud. He ended up winning by reversing a low-blow into the Chikara Special.

There was a wrestler in the 70s and 80s called The Spoiler. Master of the claw hold, and he used to walk the top rope, ala The Undertaker.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Davros1 posted:

There was a wrestler in the 70s and 80s called The Spoiler. Master of the claw hold, and he used to walk the top rope, ala The Undertaker.

He also had a really nice dropkick for a guy his size

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Davros1 posted:

Ah, there we go. Yeah, Chikara's Spoiler did the same kind of rope walk.

Funny story with him. Sidney Bakabella has been "representing" Dasher Hatfield on social media and Dasher's only 2020 Chikara appearance was a tag match with Molly McCoy. Bakabella was supposed to be their manager for the match, but he was so busy giving notes to the guy playing Spoiler (as they're both old school anachronism gimmicks) that he missed his cue and they entered without him.

forkboy84 posted:

Wait, there's a Lance Steel back? Or rather there was a Lance Steel? One of the first memories I have of Chikara is the collapse of Lance-a-lot & Lance Steel vs Lance Steel

Yeah. The last big storyline going on in Chikara was that Ophidian was running some kind of secret fight club cult in the Wrestle Factory. This was discovered via a YouTube channel featuring a bunch of brutal MMA fights in a ropeless wrestling ring where some noticed Lance Steel hanging out in the background. Turns out he was one of Ophidian's top lieutenants.

Next thing you know, Lance Steel was one of the winners of what would be the final King of Trios.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Did anybody else get nervous when they saw this topic get new posts

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dangerous Person posted:

Did anybody else get nervous when they saw this topic get new posts

Yeah, same thing with the Speaking Out thread

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Interestingly enough the CHIKARA twitter got suspended.

https://twitter.com/CHIKARApro

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

MassRafTer posted:

Interestingly enough the CHIKARA twitter got suspended.

https://twitter.com/CHIKARApro

Apparently, they unfollowed thousands of users in one go and Twitter found it suspicious enough to suspend. Whoops!

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
The idea of following 18 thousand accounts makes me anxious.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Mentioned this in the games thread, but it's worth noting here: the Chikara game updated as just Action Arcade Wrestling. I haven't looked at the game itself, but it seems there are only original designs in there and none of the Chikara roster.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
On the latest "Til We Make It" Mike Quackenbush refers to the Wrestle Factory as "my Wrestle Factory" which is such an odd thing for a person who claimed to resign from it to say.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

MassRafTer posted:

On the latest "Til We Make It" Mike Quackenbush refers to the Wrestle Factory as "my Wrestle Factory" which is such an odd thing for a person who claimed to resign from it to say.

Thanks for taking this bullet for me, buddy.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gavok posted:

Thanks for taking this bullet for me, buddy.

I became oddly fascinated with TWMI a few months ago and now that he's posting daily stuff I can't stop myself from seeing what the hell he's posting.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
TWMI probably would've been helpful 15 years ago when the Wrestle Factory was producing some of the better US workers in the scene and CHIKARA was a really hot product but now CHIKARA is dead and the Wrestle Factory hasn't produced many guys that were even on top of other indies since the BDK era ended. :shrug:

I think Quack just has Cannot Log Off syndrome

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
He's also teasing Season 22 so it might be time to change that thread title, CHIKARA is a thing!

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Ugh

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

MassRafTer posted:

He's also teasing Season 22 so it might be time to change that thread title, CHIKARA is a thing!

That's such a weird and bad idea. I'm not going to watch it (side note: my Chikaratopia subscription ended the other day), but I'm interested in seeing it crash and burn.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

MassRafTer posted:

How would he even? Towards the end the one good thing you could say was that the core guys (Hallowicked, Frightmare, Ophidian, Dasher) could carry just about anyone to a good match. With those 4 at the very least definitely done with Chikara, Quack and even wrestling in general, there's absolutely nothing to build on. I can't think of any important Chikara guys who haven't spoken out about Quack on twitter.

TheJunkyardGod
Sep 19, 2004

Do not taunt the Octopus
who is still with Chikara? It seems almost everyone publicly distanced themselves from the company, even changing their names.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

TheJunkyardGod posted:

who is still with Chikara? It seems almost everyone publicly distanced themselves from the company, even changing their names.

Well, Icarus never distanced himself, but then again, I recall him being mentioned in one of the stories of gross trainers and he hasn't tweeted in months. So yeah.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gavok posted:

Well, Icarus never distanced himself, but then again, I recall him being mentioned in one of the stories of gross trainers and he hasn't tweeted in months. So yeah.

Icarus and Quack present The Stingy and Battery Show.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
The entire CHIKARA roster is nothing but Los Ice Cream members.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Isn't Solo doing the training at the Wrestle Factory now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006
I don't know if anyone is still training at the Factory other than Defarge at this point. There was some interest in buying the Factory from Quack, but Quack didn't want to do it, so everyone else split.