Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nonrev
Jul 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

.Edward Penischin
Jun 5, 2008

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
Runoff Votes:

Least-Concealed Bigotry (Islamophobia): 5
Most-Easily Reinterpreted: 21
Overall Worst Cartoon: 8

barometz
Feb 14, 2010
Least-Concealed Bigotry (Islamophobia): 1

Most Easily Reinterpreted: 8

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Another 1 / 21 / 8 combo here.

Jolly Guy
Sep 24, 2011

Apathy420
May 18, 2017

by Cyrano4747

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Just a reminder that this cartoon was apparently bad enough that it forced Tinsley into a "sabbatical".

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
A shabat ical

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Azza Bamboo posted:

A shabat ical

:golfclap:

It is the same root word- sabbatical originally meant you got every seventh year off.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Least Concealed Bigotry (Islamophobia): 1

Most Easily Reinterpreted: 21

Overall Worst: 15

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Least-Concealed Bigotry (Islamophobia): 1

Most Easily Reinterpreted: 21

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

I keep seeing this thread title when I come to this forum.

Since the mods aren't doing anything, I just wanted to let you all know that it's trash.

It's 2020.

Stop using gay as a pejorative.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ither posted:

it isn't being used as a pejorative in the title

e: the origin lies in a parody political cartoon that had the premise of "democrats love gays and abortions, so they must love gay abortions"

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
And gay abortions are good, actually.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I think it's a fair shout, to be honest. Would we tolerate "I know it looks like casual bigotry but actually it's an in joke" as a defence from any of the dipshits we're making fun of in this very thread? :v:

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
they're not bad for having off-color in jokes, they're bad because their in jokes support completely unironic racism etc.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
That's why I prefer Gaybes in unlearned circles.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You're the one reading a pejorative into the word, OP.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Ither posted:

I keep seeing this thread title when I come to this forum.

Since the mods aren't doing anything, I just wanted to let you all know that it's trash.

It's 2020.

The mods aren't doing anything because it's not a pejorative. Speaking as both the OP and a gay trans woman, you're cordially invited to take your drive-by performative wokeness somewhere else.

Anyway, because I've been sick and lost track of what day it was, :frogsiren: the lightning round is over :frogsiren: and I'll tally the votes once I'm at a real computer.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Besesoth posted:

The mods aren't doing anything because it's not a pejorative. Speaking as both the OP and a gay trans woman, you're cordially invited to take your drive-by performative wokeness somewhere else.

Anyway, because I've been sick and lost track of what day it was, :frogsiren: the lightning round is over :frogsiren: and I'll tally the votes once I'm at a real computer.

Performative wokeness? I don't think that's fair.

As someone who's also gay, I posted because I genuinely disliked the title and didn't understand why it was allowed here. Reporting the title didn't elicit any response, so I said something.

So it's an in joke? Okay. It makes me feel slightly better that it's not bros labeling everything they don't like as gay.

But please remember that in jokes and ironic bigtory are not necessarily shields in a public space. Also they can lead to unfortunate events. See the history of this forum.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
D&D is not FYAD. We aren’t the type that Doxx trans people and wallow in bigotry. We call out anyone who post slurs and racial epithets. Hell the categories above show how much we loathe the bigots who make a (possible) living on homophobic and racist content.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Ither posted:

As someone who's also gay, I posted because I genuinely disliked the title and didn't understand why it was allowed here. Reporting the title didn't elicit any response, so I said something.

So it's an in joke? Okay. It makes me feel slightly better that it's not bros labeling everything they don't like as gay.

But please remember that in jokes and ironic bigtory are not necessarily shields in a public space. Also they can lead to unfortunate events. See the history of this forum.

It's not "ironic bigotry", and this is exactly what I mean by "performative wokeness": you're not actually listening to anybody or doing even a smidgen of investigation, you've just seen the Woke-Signal go off in your brain and by God you're gonna lecture everybody until they admit you're the Wokest.

"Gay Abortions", as you can see from the image in the OP, is from a panel in a parody of political cartoons:

(By the way: when I image-search for "Gay Abortions" cartoon, the full comic is the second hit.)

In this thread we celebrate the worst and most ridiculous political cartoons, and we do it with a title that comes from the most ridiculous panel of a deliberately-bad political cartoon.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Besesoth posted:

In this thread we celebrate the worst and most ridiculous political cartoons, and we do it with a title that comes from the most ridiculous panel of a deliberately-bad political cartoon.
We also go the gently caress off at people for having the audacity to not be in on a joke, apparently.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ither posted:

History lesson: there used to be a political cartoon webcomic called Right Left Center. It looked like this:

It's kind of hard to find other examples, since it has been deleted long ago and this page seems to be the only survivor.

The author of RLC also had another now-defunct webcomic, Electronic Tigers, which was sometimes political, but was mostly about a bunch of geeks and the token ambulatory pair of boobs, like the banner shows. Here are a few delightful samples:

But he also used it to shill for a ridiculous pyramid scheme:

(Yes, that racist caricature is the author's self-insert. He also used the pen name "Hapajap". He figured that if he was racist against himself, that gave him the right to be racist against others.)

So eventually there was this parody:

And since then "Gay Abortions" has remained a symbol of mocking political cartoons made by shitheads.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Pilchenstein posted:

We also go the gently caress off at people for having the audacity to not be in on a joke, apparently.

No, we go off at people who Kramer their way into a thread and lecture us all about stuff they don't understand. All they had to do was ask what it meant.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Jurgan posted:

No, we go off at people who Kramer their way into a thread and lecture us all about stuff they don't understand. All they had to do was ask what it meant.
Lol, they've made two perfectly reasonable posts based on a fairly inevitable misunderstanding. Getting pissy about how we're allowed to use the phrase that 100% looks to an outsider like an edgelord pejorative because "actually when you know the lore it's a joke that got a mild chuckle out of us years ago" just makes us all look like the kind of dickheads who put real importance on having an excuse to use "gay" as a pejorative and you should knock it off tbh :v:

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Well, I don't think we need to get rid of the term "Gay Abortions," but it might make sense to change the thread title to something else and the "Gay Abortions" phrase be in the OP, so that you won't see it unless you go into the thread. I guess I can see how someone who's not in on the joke might feel blindsided by seeing it in passing.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
If it makes any of this better the thread title could just be Gaybies because we have been calling it that mostly?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
:frogsiren: The results are in and it's time to announce the winners! :frogsiren:

Before we begin, here's an opening act for you to enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMwhl4IrPNc

And now, without further ado, the 2019 Gaybies!

Worst Can't Let Hillary/Obama Go Cartoon

For the second year running, Ben Garrison takes this category, with 37% of the vote (a full 50%, actually, if you count the votes for his runner-up cartoon) going to his grotesque hatred of Hillary Clinton.

Runners-up:

Worst Cartoon about a Tragedy (Hurricane/Flooding)

This and Wildfires only got one entry apiece, which contributed to the restructuring of the 2020 Gaybies.

Worst Cartoon about a Tragedy (Wildfires)

Worst cartoon about a Tragedy (Mass shooting)

34% of the vote means congratulations to Mike Lester, who apparently imagines that if you're a "good guy" and you have a gun, the gun provides a force field, and also that Muslims attending Friday Prayer should do so with machine guns hidden under their clothing.

Runners-up:

Worst Cartoon about a Tragedy (Other)

Paul Zanetti takes this category with 50% of the vote. All those teenagers protesting climate change were really just little kids who wanted the day off, amirite?

Runner-up (and just barely, with 40%):

Worst Obituary Cartoon

37% gives this category to JRRose! and his milquetoast tribute to Luke Perry (and ignorance, apparently, of everything else the actor ever did).

Runner-up:

Worst Caricature

Despite the breadth of choices in this category, Rob Smith, Jr. managed to get 24% of the vote with that loving Ilhan Omar drawing.

Runners-up:

Worst "A Thing Happened" Cartoon

Henry Payne takes this category with 16% of the vote and a cartoon that could better be described as "Did A Thing Happen? I Wasn't Paying Attention".

Runners-up:

Worst Label

18% gives this category to Andy Marlette. Thank you, Cum Pass. We appreciate you.

Runners-up:

Most Incomprehensible

I almost feel bad awarding this category to Jerry Holbert, but 31% of the electorate agrees with me when I say: Huh?

Runners-up:

Least Concealed Bigotry (Racism) in a Cartoon

We all know Sean Delonas is a hate golem, but his depiction of Latin Americans here is particularly despicable, and took 24%.

Runners-up (a three-way tie!):

Least Concealed Bigotry (Islamophobia) in a Cartoon

This was our first lightning-round category, and Warren Brown took 75% of that vote with, uh, definitely an opinion of Muslim men.

Runner-up:

Least Concealed Bigotry (LGBT) in a Cartoon

Stonetoss, the venerable "not actually no really I am tee hee a Nazi" monster, gets 24% of the vote for forgetting that adoption exists and having weird ideas about what "dropping the kids off at the pool" means.

Runners-up:

Least Concealed Bigotry (Misogyny) in a Cartoon

I am struggling to decide whether AF Branco, with 37%, actually means this woman to be unattractive or if that's just how he draws people. Either way, there are enough layers of misogyny here that I'd hit the character limit just listing them.

Runners-up:

Worst WALL Comic

55% gives another to Branco, whom I'm starting to think is not a very good artist.

Runners-up:

Worst attempt to Minimize Dem victory in the House

With only one entry in this category, it was easy to give this category to... *checks notes* Oh, Jerry. :sigh:

Laziest Non-Gorrell Cartoon

There was a lot of competition in this category this year, and yet Gary McCoy managed to pull 42% (and Mike Ramirez, below, an additional 24%) with this "splatter tool and scribble" tribute to the thousands of doctors and nurses who have selflessly defended women's reproductive rights over the last 46 years. (That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.)

Runner-up:

Most Easily Reinterpreted

Another lightning-round category, AF Branco managed to narrowly beat Mike Lester who in turn beats his wife, 41%-34%. In fact, I'm still not quite sure what Branco actually means here. Something something affirmative action?

Runners-up:

Most Willfully Dense

Mike Ramirez takes 13% of the vote and this category, with a cartoon where he willfully ignores the difference between house walls and border walls, and also the fact that Pelosi's house doesn't have an enclosing wall.

Runners-up:

Worst Gaslighter Cartoon

AF Branco wins his fourth category this year with 16%. The only good thing I can say about this cartoon is that his Omar caricature is marginally better than Rob Smith's.

Runner-up:

Overall Worst Political Cartoon

A clash of the titans in our final lightning-round match-up! With 78% of the LR votes, Bob Gorrell and "the national debt is exactly as bad as children in cages, and also those cages are spacious and single-occupancy" beat out Bruce Tinsley and the comic that got him suspended from the comics page. Good job on being worse than Bruce Tinsley, Bob!

Runner-up:

Best Edit/Parody

This year's Edit/Parody of the Year goes to SwimmingSpider, with 18%, for seamlessly adding Johnny Five Aces to Ben Garrison's poorly-thought-out poker metaphor:

And an honorable mention to Pilchenstein, at 13%, for saying what we're all thinking:

The Galatianman Award for Special Achievement in Ignoring Jesus

Man, Branco's really racking up the wins this year. It's almost as if he's a terrible, terrible cartoonist. Just terrible.

And because he's a terrible cartoonist, in addition to his five category wins, Branco also takes home the

AF Branco Knows A Cuss Lifetime Achievement Award

for his tireless pursuit of letting us all know that Adam Schiff's last name kind of sounds like "poo poo".

Thanks, everybody!

SneezeOfTheDecade fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 18, 2020

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
I've asked fool of sound to change the thread title.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Thank you OP. Here's to another year of inane bleating and brain poisoned hot takes

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I want to show this terrible selection to a few friends, wouldn't it make sense to post the gaybies on the front page?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

BonHair posted:

I want to show this terrible selection to a few friends, wouldn't it make sense to post the gaybies on the front page?

Anyone who'd like to can ask 'Tax about the front page. :) In the meantime, I've put the awards up on the wiki. I'm not sure why only three of the images are displaying inline, but they're all there and you can click through to see them.