Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

The Lester one with the rotary phone isn't incomprehensible, just dumb as hell. There was a brief craze earlier in the year of videos of teens trying to figure out how to dial one, and he slapped a label on there to make a point that boys these days don't know how to be REAL MEN by beating their wives because of PC and feminism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

Anyone who'd like to can ask 'Tax about the front page. :) In the meantime, I've put the awards up on the wiki. I'm not sure why only three of the images are displaying inline, but they're all there and you can click through to see them.
Looks like it's the attempt at resizing them that makes them not show up. Removing those makes them show up, and those that do show up now do so because they aren't bigger than specified. I'll see if there's any good/working way of doing it, posting all the images full size would make that page extremely long.

Edit: I don't know why it won't work, according to MediaWiki's help wiki it should, the syntax is correct. I don't know if there's some setting I need to change somewhere.

Edit again: Looks like thumbnails aren't being generated properly. I'm looking into it.

Final edit: Boom, fixed it. A thing in LocalSettings.php was, for whatever reason, set to false when it needed to be true. So now all the images are showing up.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 18, 2020

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I honestly kind of feel like that Garrison Covington Shithead cartoon deserves some kind of award, given that it was the single most represented and runner-up winning entry in the competition.

While it may not have been the most dominant example in any one category, being drat close in a whole bunch of them at once has a quality of its own...the terrible, terrible, quality that it was...

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

KennyMan666 posted:

Looks like it's the attempt at resizing them that makes them not show up. Removing those makes them show up, and those that do show up now do so because they aren't bigger than specified. I'll see if there's any good/working way of doing it, posting all the images full size would make that page extremely long.

Edit: I don't know why it won't work, according to MediaWiki's help wiki it should, the syntax is correct. I don't know if there's some setting I need to change somewhere.

Edit again: Looks like thumbnails aren't being generated properly. I'm looking into it.

Final edit: Boom, fixed it. A thing in LocalSettings.php was, for whatever reason, set to false when it needed to be true. So now all the images are showing up.

Awesome, thank you for looking into it!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Kept meaning to vote on these, kept forgetting/getting sidetracked. Thanks for the work, and oh God these cartoons make me so angry and depressed :smith:

Telegnostic
Apr 24, 2008
I feel like there's a lot of confusion about the "a thing happened" category, because most of the nominees, including both of the runners-up, don't actually belong in that category.

(The category is for cartoons that merely illustrate something that happened, without making any kind of point about it.)

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
To be perfectly honest Gaybies actually sounds MORE like using gay as a pejorative to me. Calling the Bad Cartoon Awards the Gaybies makes it sound like gay is being used as bad. Gay Abortions at least gives the possibility of reading the "isn't gay abortions a kind of silly combination?"

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Telegnostic posted:

I feel like there's a lot of confusion about the "a thing happened" category, because most of the nominees, including both of the runners-up, don't actually belong in that category.

(The category is for cartoons that merely illustrate something that happened, without making any kind of point about it.)

That's a valid point. I also have been using it to mean "something happened and I'm meaninglessly using it to comment on something else", like

That said, I'm going to do the awards a little differently in 2020, so hopefully we can handle this sort of thing.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I honestly kind of feel like that Garrison Covington Shithead cartoon deserves some kind of award, given that it was the single most represented and runner-up winning entry in the competition.

I really wanted to vote for two of those Garrisons more (the gaslighting drumming one and the one with the caricature with the really pronounced nose), but they just didn't quite line up with the categories presented. Aside from worst gaslighting, which that first one matched very neatly and horribly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

reignonyourparade posted:

To be perfectly honest Gaybies actually sounds MORE like using gay as a pejorative to me. Calling the Bad Cartoon Awards the Gaybies makes it sound like gay is being used as bad. Gay Abortions at least gives the possibility of reading the "isn't gay abortions a kind of silly combination?"

Kind of agree actually. Part of the reason the original parody cartoon is so funny is that so many conservative cartoonists just think that everyone who hasn't pledged their soul to Trump hates the flag because they think it shouldn't be illegal or that they're gay because they don't hate gay people, and that they kill children for fun because they don't think it should be illegal to get an abortion/ don't hate women. The intense jumbling together is a real feature of bad cartoons.

I think the title has potential to cause confusion no matter what it is, so maybe future threads should just start with

About that name: These awards are called the"Gay abortions awards because...." And "this is emphatically not using gay as a slur. We realize there is a possibility of confusion, but if you read the op of the cartoon thread you'll see what's up.