Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barometz
Feb 14, 2010
Time for my annual post, I guess. This year, I'm trying to skip the Nazi cartoons and Garrison because they tend to feel like shooting fish in a barrel so far as the topics are concerned. Will it make a difference? Almost certainly not.

Worst Can't Let Hillary/Obama Go Cartoon: 4 – I'm a-going for Payne for his combo whammy of 'I'll draw this person I hate as the hero, that'll show 'em', 'a movie happened', and a thoroughly generic "scandal"; seriously, I can't even remember what they were bitching about specifically at the time of this cartoon, assuming it even was timed to the film's release, and the cartoon's giving no clues beyond money being involved.
Worst Cartoon about a Tragedy (Hurricane/Flooding): 1
Worst Cartoon about a Tragedy (Wildfires): 1
Worst cartoon about a Tragedy (Mass shooting): 2 – A difficult one, really. While I appreciate (for lack of a better word) Rall's oddly 'shootings are good, actually' stance, there's a disingenuousness about 2 that puts it out in front. Like Lester isn't appalled by the idea of Muslims packing heat. I hate 4 particularly as well, but it doesn't have quite the impact that 2 does on me.
Worst Cartoon about a Tragedy (Other): 2 – That Zanetti thing is memorably terrible in it's wilful denseness, but the LeLievre has a lot to unpack and I still can't really fathom what he's trying to say about the Hong Kong protests. As terrible as Holbert's is, given the state of him, I'm apparently willing to pass over it (even though he frankly doesn't deserve it).
Worst Obituary Cartoon: 2 – I probably hate some of the others more (that Holbert one is terrible enough that I do actually find it kind of funny, and Marlette's grumpy cat thing is… a thing… are reference pictures really that hard to find in this day and age?), but they at least put a bit more effort in. Elsewhere, I totally forgot that Toni Morrison died. :(
Worst Caricature: 24 – Seriously that Ilhan Omar. The others are bad enough.
Worst "A Thing Happened" Cartoon: 26 – Payne churns out this bit of smug inverse-snobbery every year and it always annoys me. I mean, the Oscars are terrible, but he's making me side with the Academy here. Sorry your taste in films is trash, even more so than the Academy's. On a lighter note: god, I love how smug Cosette looks in 15.
Worst Label: 10 – Was it Gosse who used to have cartoons that were like 70% massive boxes with really long labels in? Rose is really drifting that way. Ultimately it was a case of deciding which one. I do love that he labels 'parents' and 'students' in 21 (along with Kirschen's "two old guys"), and also the "criticism of Obama's policies" in 12; god forbid he put in actual stuff. I decided one of the longer ones was more apt, and went for 10 based on the hilariously stupid way it's phrased.
Most Incomprehensible: 1 – I just could't seem to parse this one at all. Honourable mention for 10.
Least Concealed Bigotry (Racism) in a Cartoon: 15 – Delonas also seems like he'd wear it as a badge of pride, so let's be different and go for… this thing.
Least Concealed Bigotry (Islamophobia) in a Cartoon: 1 –Kirschen probably joins Garrison in easy mode on this topic, though I guess you have to read the text to get the brunt of this particular thing. Instead, I'm going for the one that combines it all into one lovely illustrated package. They even let him have the fangs.
Least Concealed Bigotry (LGBT) in a Cartoon: 14 – Similarly Branco tends to be a bit obvious on this topic, turning out the same burly, hairy woman again and again. I'm going with the McCoy instead for its transparent 'we're the real oppressed ones' bit.
Least Concealed Bigotry (Misogyny) in a Cartoon: 5 – He should probably for this too, but here we are. The others seem very vanilla in their misogyny in comparison.
Worst WALL Comic: 3 – It's certainly to the point.
Laziest Non-Gorrell Cartoon: 2 – I certainly thought about going for a bunch of these, but ultimately the MS Paint spray tool won out.
Most Easily Reinterpreted: 20 – A lot of options, but it feels like this needs more effort to interpret it the way he meant. Seriously, how is Ramirez so bad at this?
Most Willfully Dense: 36 – I decided on this one, because more than just being wilfully dense, in many ways it feels like it says more about Cross.
Worst Gaslighter Cartoon: 39 – This feels like the most manipulative, though god knows I was tempted by a bunch of others; 9, 18 and 43, in particular.
Overall Worst Political Cartoon: 11
Best Edit/Parody: 13
The Galatianman Award for Special Achievement in Ignoring Jesus: 1

Edit: I done grammar bad.

barometz fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barometz
Feb 14, 2010
Least-Concealed Bigotry (Islamophobia): 1

Most Easily Reinterpreted: 8

Overall Worst Cartoon: 8