Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Worst Can't Let Hillary/Obama Go Cartoon: 5
Worst Cartoon about a Tragedy (Hurricane/Flooding): no choice
Worst Cartoon about a Tragedy (Wildfires): no choice
Worst cartoon about a Tragedy (Mass shooting): 6 for its intrinsic racism
Worst Cartoon about a Tragedy (Other): 3
Worst Obituary Cartoon: 2
Worst Caricature: 4
Worst "A Thing Happened" Cartoon: 25
Worst Label: 6, and also 9 gets "best label"
Most Incomprehensible: 1
Least Concealed Bigotry (Racism) in a Cartoon: 22
Least Concealed Bigotry (Islamophobia) in a Cartoon: 1 edging out a fierce competition thank to specifically attacking humanitarian help
Least Concealed Bigotry (LGBT) in a Cartoon: 19
Least Concealed Bigotry (Misogyny) in a Cartoon: 5
Worst WALL Comic: 3
Laziest Non-Gorrell Cartoon: 16
Most Easily Reinterpreted: 21
Most Willfully Dense: 22 certainly the one where the density is the most willful
Worst Gaslighter Cartoon: 39 for redefining settler colonialism as a biblical right
Overall Worst Political Cartoon: 3
Best Edit/Parody: 13
The Galatianman Award for Special Achievement in Ignoring Jesus: 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Another 1 / 21 / 8 combo here.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ither posted:

Performative wokeness? I don't think that's fair.

As someone who's also gay, I posted because I genuinely disliked the title and didn't understand why it was allowed here. Reporting the title didn't elicit any response, so I said something.

So it's an in joke? Okay. It makes me feel slightly better that it's not bros labeling everything they don't like as gay.

But please remember that in jokes and ironic bigtory are not necessarily shields in a public space. Also they can lead to unfortunate events. See the history of this forum.

History lesson: there used to be a political cartoon webcomic called Right Left Center. It looked like this:

It's kind of hard to find other examples, since it has been deleted long ago and this page seems to be the only survivor.

The author of RLC also had another now-defunct webcomic, Electronic Tigers, which was sometimes political, but was mostly about a bunch of geeks and the token ambulatory pair of boobs, like the banner shows. Here are a few delightful samples:

But he also used it to shill for a ridiculous pyramid scheme:

(Yes, that racist caricature is the author's self-insert. He also used the pen name "Hapajap". He figured that if he was racist against himself, that gave him the right to be racist against others.)

So eventually there was this parody:

And since then "Gay Abortions" has remained a symbol of mocking political cartoons made by shitheads.