Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnarkiJ
Sep 17, 2006

Oh Mister Murphy!
Mary Jane!

So this absolutely sounds fascinating, thanks for posting about it! I happen to love janky simulation games generally, if you come back to it and think it's worth digging into you should definitely make a thread for it. There's been a LOT of colony sims launching into early access over the last year and a bit, though most go for a basic DF/rimworld gameplay loop, often simplified with maybe less obtuse UI. This one actually sounds like it has it's own ideas of what a colony sim can be rather than just copying simulation mechanics from elsewhere which makes it stand out as more interesting than the legion of clones that seem half baked and are simply trying to get the jump on DF before it launches on steam.

It's weird, it felt like before toady announced DF was coming to steam, there just wasn't a lot of options beyond rimworld. Whereas now, it seems like there's a new colony sim or three launching practically every month. It was a pretty niche genre as far as I could tell, and I'm not sure there's a large enough audience to support dozens of indies making the same kind of game. Half the early access games I play feel like they're doomed to never leave early access. Space Haven and Flotsam are two I played recently that I enjoyed up until the point I realized there's just nothing to do in them once your colony is stable and haven't touched either of them since.

Anyway, that aside, I do love games that are unique and/or strange, and this sounds like it could fit the bill, definitely be interested to read more about it when you get the chance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnarkiJ
Sep 17, 2006

Oh Mister Murphy!
Mary Jane!

Jack Trades posted:

Anyone who played Warhams 40 Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters who can tell me if the mecha dlc is worth a gently caress?

Not in it's current state, the dreadnought is only available for certain mission types and the techmarine is only really useful in conjunction with it, it's not the worst thing ever but it's definitely not comparable to an x-com expansion. There's also still some lingering bugs they haven't gotten around to fixing yet.

If you end up playing the base game enough times it might be worth it down the line to add some variety, but otherwise don't worry about it.