Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Man it's a shame DANGEN is involved. He's probably being taken for a ride by that corrupt publisher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mordja posted:

I'm not sure I've played anything he doesn't sound like Geralt in. He's in Spellforce 3 and sure enough...

His character in Spellforce 3 is a bit of a goofy nod to Witcher so I wouldn't be surprised if that's intentional.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Look Sir Droids posted:

Now do Bloodborne.

Bloodborne is such a technical nightmare on PS4 I fear what a PC port would be like. Probably worse than the original DS1 port.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Look Sir Droids posted:

That's what modders are for.

I mean lol, this is not a reason to not bring BB to PC at all.

I'm just saying to not expect a great port if it comes.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Rookersh posted:

I've seen this quote so many times, and now I absolutely want to know.

It is something you absolutely do not want spoiled. Like a lot of H:ZD.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

SelenicMartian posted:

Avoid the rest of the series.

Yep. The only good one is the original.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hwurmp posted:

I think "not up to par" means "less of the poo poo VA-likers inexplicably like"

for instance CT probably does not have characters whose only purpose is to be references to Seinfeld or Yiik

No. The game writing is just plain bad. It is basically using the same premise as that awful Netflix movie Bright and substituting racism against fantasy races for real racism in an extremely sloppily handled metaphor.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

fappenmeister posted:

Seeing as WC3:Reforged is a disappointment to many, how is Spellforce 3 and the standalone expansion for it? I am in the mood for an RTS/RPG hybrid. I played the original and 2 a decade ago.

I enjoyed Spellforce 3 a lot though it is a lot heavier on the economy side of the building than you probably expect (not difficult, you just have to assign a limited pool of workers to your various buildings instead of just building individual work units) but it does somehow balance the hero stuff really well, especially in the UI.

I haven't played the expansion. A small tip for the game if you pick it up is that you have a different main character for the first few missions as it's a tutorial. Shortly into the game, you'll make your own hero and be able to set up their skills however you want.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Bayo 2 + 3 are unfortunately extremely unlikely as those were fully funded by Nintendo and Nintendo wants their stuff completely locked down.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

A good poster posted:

Didn't Nintendo own the rights to W101? I'm assuming they sold the IP rights back to Platinum for a pittance and a guaranteed Switch port because the Wii U game was such a bomb.

Doesn't sound like it was quite a pittance as Nintendo was going to completely fund a Switch port if the game stayed 100% Nintendo exclusive but Platinum turned them down on it.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 4, 2020

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ghostlight posted:

One of the devs had like facebook connections to a local group of nationalists, and their second game was a turret simulator which they specifically said was in response to 'things happening in the world right now' where you defended "Europe" against waves of ISIS invaders.

Which also has white nationalism referencing achievements and went on a celebratory sale for Hitler's birthday...

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Flimf posted:

Anyone tried this Final Fantasy Tactics/Fire Emblem looking "french revolution but anime" game? Looks kinda neat.

Banner of the Maid
https://store.steampowered.com/app/994730/_Banner_of_the_Maid/

I remember a few goons here praising it when the English version was still in beta.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Dawn of War 2's campaigns are basically that too (and great.)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Artelier posted:

So I started playing Assassin's Creed Syndicate and I'm having fun but just want to be sure: There's no repercussion for going FULL EVIE ALL DAY ERR DAY right?

None at all. They share experience iirc. There are missions that will force you to use one of the twins so make sure you still invest in some gear and distribute skill points for Jacob.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Got a bunch to unload myself here

Frostpun?

?07LB-GZMFL-Q(two As)2N

??ostpunk: Rifts DLC
CG??D-4672K-ZWY25

?ook of Demons
FIMK8-HICI?-3R9H(4+1)

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 7, 2020

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cardiovorax posted:

I was able to run it on an i5-2500k, 8 gigs of RAM and a graphics card made in 2013 or so, they don't even sell those anymore. I think it would probably run decently well on my work laptop. Anyone who has even that much can play it fine.

It also has a TON of graphics options that let it scale down and up quite nicely.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Protocol7 posted:

These games try to dress up their lovely gameplay with something called a "narrative" that usually just makes me roll my eyes and wish I was playing something else.

I'm not saying all story driven games are bad, but in games like Outer Worlds the love clearly went somewhere other than the "game" part of the game, and you just get an average at best game in the end. In my experience all the other stuff has to be really good for it to be worth it.

Yeah this is why I really liked Disco Elysium. Navigating the exceptional writing is 90% of the game with the other 10% being exploring a really unique world (mostly to find items to contribute to the dialogue and its many skill checks)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

deep dish peat moss posted:

(haters come at me, I burned out on Souls before Bloodborne came out and despite having attempted to play it several times I just can't get into it, but Surge 2 sucked me right in and I enjoyed it to the end)

Pretty much the same, though I was basically finished after Demons' and Dark Souls 1. I just have no interest in playing any more of the genre, but Surge 1 managed to grab me and I suspect 2 will if I feel like playing it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
It's supposed to but won't always start right away.

It should be fine if you leave things on overnight.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

anilEhilated posted:

Is it? There are some unfamiliar minor characters but it showcases events that took place in the original.
Admittedly, it's been years since I played that game.

Yeah I'm not getting that vibe at all. It very much looks like an expanded version of the original's starting arc with some characters and events introduced earlier due to the episodic structure

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
You can play Elite Dangerous in a solo mode but it still requires an internet connection.

It has no complete offline mode.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

Wow, Tecmo's Deception. Reading that sure bought back a flood of fun memories. :allears:

so uh, TD games are cool, I'll look at Kingdom Rush after I've tapped out Mindustry, but uh, any modern Tecmo's Deception-likes out there??? :pray:

Deception got a fourth entry a couple years back. Sadly no PC port.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah Fall is really good. Rise is okay but it's mostly making you work with less units while Fall is about new tech clashing with the old ways. It really captures that "end of an era" feeling with gunpowder units.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Det_no posted:

It supposedly has a shitload of gameplay systems and deep character customization but I couldn't tell you because the spotty translation killed it for me.

Have you tried recently? They redid the translation for the full release.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Justin_Brett posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/indiemegabooth Does this imply all these games are leaving Steam, or is it just a poorly thought out sale title?

Some of those games have only been for sale for a month or two so I assume the latter.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mordja posted:

Seems more over-the-top and wacky than what I remember seeing about the previous game. Not casting judgement in either way, just seems odd.

Wasteland 2 gets a lot sillier further in. The second major area Los Angeles is both a lot campier and a lot more fun to play through. It just a shame there's such a slog to reach it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
FC5 is such an odd duck in that the moment to moment gameplay is probably the best of the series. It's just that absolutely awful plot (that keeps interrupting the gameplay through the dumb kidnappings) drags the whole thing down so much.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

teacup posted:

I don’t know about the multiplayer but digital foundry did a YouTube video on it and as absolutely gushing with praise for the quality of the remaster, saying it was closer to a full graphical remake rather than just a simple upscale. So impressed they were theorising there’s another saints row on the way. If you liked it may be worth it

It doesn't need to be theorised. Volition confirmed one was coming last year.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Kennel posted:

There's a seven years old Gamasutra comment by their audio guy who says that they spent $450,000 on SR3's music licenses. I wonder how those deals translate to remasters.

And 2's was probably even more expensive given the number of songs included. Really a lot of the issues of comparing 2 and 3 is that the budget of 2 was MASSIVE compared to any of the followups. Just count the number of devs in the credits.

The patch apparently doesn't count as a remaster so they don't have to cut songs with it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

HopperUK posted:

Thanks for this feedback - I've taken it out of my cart and will wait till it's a bit cheaper, I think.

For a counter opinion, I didn't find the controls that bad at all. There is definitely a bit of pixel hunting at parts where the game wants you to infer what to do next.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

END ME SCOOB posted:

I mean. The majority of them aren't so embedded. That's why that's kind of a thing.

Except yes they are. Easy Anti-Cheat's access is identifical. Same with Blizzard's that is used in newer CoDs.

It was a freakout over the Denuvo name.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hwurmp posted:

the only reason publishers feel threatened by piracy is because they are consumed by a pathological greed

The situation is a little different for Japanese publishers as piracy completely obliterated their PC market in the 80s and early 90s.

Mostly caused by Japanese stores not carrying western titles causing piracy to be the default way of getting pc games in general.

Steam and such have changed things but there's still a lot of fear over piracy there that goes beyond publisher greed

Awesome! posted:

dont companies normally remove denuvo after awhile because they only really care about the first ~month of sales and there are ongoing fees or something with keeping it in?

Denuvo is a one time payment and games that have it removed are sadly a minority. Most Japanese games never have it removed. Even the Yakuza series that removed Denuvo for early entries has decided to bring it back for the latest one.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 10, 2020

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Azran posted:

Every now and then I check on Defender's Quest 2's progress. I remember being super pumped about that game like 5 years ago. :( According to their own website, the game's been in development for over 6 years.

It feels like they've done a complete revamp at least once.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

PSA that they ported this game to mobile and if you haven't played it you should

Sadly iOS only outside of Japan. Not sure why unless Apple threw a bunch money their way.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That’s not really true since Fallout New Vegas, which was a decade ago. That reputation certainly has stuck with them, though.

Nah, both Pillars games and Tyranny were pretty drat buggy at release as well. Not AS bad as New Vegas but still fairly rough.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The big thing is that X3: AB is built on several years of post release improvements.

X4 might become an equal over time but it's not there yet.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Edmond Dantes posted:

Alright, let's do this. Help me cull my cart:

I'm a bit leery of Early Access games, so feel free to shoot those down with a bit more prejudice (and other than Doom Eternal, Satisfactory and Hullbreaker are the most expensive games in there due to regional pricing shenanigans, so if I do get one of those two I'll only get one.)

Other than that I don't really have a budget in mind, just trying to fill the roaring emptiness inside with consumerism as one does.

I'd dump Guilty Gear if you have any MP aspirations as the netcode is utterly awful and Remnant: From the Ashes because it's extremely content slim and wants you to buy DLC to make it close to the game it was promised to be.

Resonance of Fate is also one to be wary of because the port hasn't been patched and has a few nasty bugs that randomly crop up.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Junkie Disease posted:

Remnant has branching patch and random levels and bosses so that many playthroughs will be very different, its like beating Slay the Spire Once and saying its all there is

It still repeats a TON of content on extra playthroughs. It seriously lacks variety.

I also feel like co-op is mandatory to get the best of it which should inform any buying decisions.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Edmond Dantes posted:

One more question then: Satisfactory vs Shipbreaker. There can be only one. Fight.

This is a tough one. Do you want a rather chill game where you carefully cut ships apart or do you want to build a sprawling industrial hellscape while often stressing about making it more efficient in any way possible?

Edmond Dantes posted:

I don't, actually. I'm in South America so I avoid any type of PvP since 200 ping makes for some miserable experiences. I just got the itch to play a fighting game and this is like 1/5 the price of SFV so :v:

Then it would be fine. The other fighter with good SP I'd recommend is Soul Calibur VI but I'm not sure how expensive it currently is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Edmond Dantes posted:

How slow can you take it in Satisfactory? Can it be played like a city builder and just plan/build stuff or will I have to react to something going hilariously wrong and scramble to build stuff before I Chernobyl the entire planet?

There doesn't seem to be a time pressure from what I've seen (it's basically 3d factorio.) Not sure if has any disasters except for wildlife just getting in your way.