Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Why is World of Final Fantasy downloading at 50kb/s? I tested by downloading Obra Din, but that went as normal and was done in less than a minute.

Edit: I've tried pausing it, restarting, and uninstalling what's there and restarting the download.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

SelenicMartian posted:

Have you tried changing the download server?

Thanks, that seemed to fix it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I've heard that Y'shtola from FFXIV is one of the obtainable minions in World of Final Fantasy. Does anyone know if she's in the base game, or if I need the maxima version for that?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Samuringa posted:

You can't put out the pigs on fire with rain, they're cursed. The flames burst out again after a while, iirc.

The only way to solve it is to use the Bless, which is a bit of a pain in the tutorial island because she's probably running around with maybe one character that can use the Source but no means of recharging it aside from finding a pool somewhere.

I mean that area is covered in Source puddles for a reason.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

K8.0 posted:

Can't believe that there are still developers who think selling game music is a good idea. They should be looking at soundtracks as a way to generate interest and sell the product, not trying to monetize the 5 people who are stupid enough to grossly overpay for some mediocre music.

I happily paid money for the Hollow Knight soundtrack.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

A "serious horror game" in which one of the insane rednecks gets into the a car and starts trying to ram you while still in the garage.

If that's not embracing ridiculousness, then I don't know what is.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Mordja posted:

I dunno if they fixed it, but in the GB video I saw around release it looked like you could just sit in a bush the whole game, lure a robit closer and get an instakill stealth attack.

You can only do that to very basic robots that you can one shot with a well aimed bow anyway.

edit: My favourite thing about the game is the way when you first face a new big robot (like a Thunderjaw or something) it'll be a difficult encounter where you're desperately trying to tear chunks off and get damage in but once you learn them you're able to develop a reliable strategy that allows you to deal with them quickly and without danger. I had strategies developed for Thunderjaws and Stormbirds that allowed me to execute them with ease.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 16, 2020

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ciaphas posted:

man

gently caress ted faro

i can't wait to relive how repulsive he is in 60fps

I am excited for PC gamers to learn about why Ted Faro can get hosed.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

How's the new Goku game?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It's not an allergy so much as it is a fatigue. There's so many big open world games with meaningless checklists to fill that it's easy to burn out on them as a concept if you don't carefully pick which ones to play.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

What's a good podcast game? I've been working my way through the Critical Role backlog and I'd like something to occupy my hands and part of my brain while I'm listening. I've been mostly using Dead Cells, but I want to mix it up a bit.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

PantsBandit posted:

Hell, I'll give it a shot.

Gris I played on Switch, thought it was pretty but not particularly engaging.

Frostpunk looks really cool (heh) my only concern is that apparently there's no real win condition, it's just a grueling uphill battle the whole time.

Frostpunk only lacks a win condition if you play endless mode. The main scenario and side content all have defined goals and end points.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Is it a roguelike or a real game?

"meticulously designed levels" implies a lack of procgen.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Artelier posted:

How's Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus? Still itching for a fast paced shooter with good gun feel, looking to charge in and shoot crazy things off. Loved The New Order but got tired of Old Blood pretty quickly, felt a bit too squishy there. But could just be because I played them back to back.

It's actually very good and fun.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Samuringa posted:

Don't play the new Wolfensteins on anything higher than Easy if you want to have a good time.

I had fun playing on one of the higher difficulties. :shrug:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

All you need to know about Blasphemous is that one of its bosses is literally the Cadaver Synod.

Blasphemous rules. Requiem Aeternum motherfuckers.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Samuringa posted:

It's unplayable without Auto Apply Oils

Lmao no it's not.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cardiovorax posted:

It's a nuisance, is what it is. Auto-oiling is one of those things that should've been in the game to begin with. The only reason you'd ever intentionally not use one is because continually reapplying them is incredibly tedious, because goddamn does this game have a lot of combat. Well, that or because you forgot.

I'm not really a big believer in the idea that good abilities should by being balanced out by being too obnoxious to use all the time, so auto-oil is something I very much recommend.

Strongly disagreed, auto oiling would take a lot of the flavour out of the game.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Auto oiling was one of the most popular mods of W3, because literally no one gave a poo poo about the stupid oiling system. People that do are a rounding error.

So the two people in this thread who disagree do not exist?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Gromit posted:

Yes, that's the point they were trying to make. If you counted all the people with an opinion on the oiling system, the percentage that shared that view was essentially zero.
I've not played the Witcher 3, so I assume the oiling system gives stat boosts to penetration and reductions in chafe rolls.

About ten people gave opinions, two of which liked manual oils. In what world is that "essentially zero" percent?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Dead Cells.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The answer to literally any question about Hellblade's design choices is "to try and make neurotypical people experience a little of what people who suffer from severe psychosis deal with every day."

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Jamfrost posted:

I thought PC Master Race was only ever to be said sarcastically or as a joke. Not an actual identity.

It was a term invented as a joke, but some people started using unironically.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

How far away is the release for the full game version of Wolcen?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I watched the release trailer and it looks like D3 except without the looming shadow of Blizzard all over it? Looks good.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I want to start Wolcen but apparently the burning ruins in the menu background are actually the state of the servers and I can't connect. Will I be losing anything if I start in offline mode?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Half-Life 2 is better because it has this (technically episode 2, but still)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZRNd6osQrk

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

You know something I love about 2033? When you group up with the elite badass team in preparation for the final push, their shop is just... free. They don't sell you poo poo, they just load you up

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

If I do a single playthrough of a game and I enjoy it, that is enough to satisfy me that it is a good game.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Probably meant Diablo 2.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

XIV exists though

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

exquisite tea posted:

I'm a couple hours into Hollow Knight, just defeated the Mantis Lords and went into Deepnest. Is there some kind of light radius upgrade I can get that eventually makes this area less annoying? Also, I feel like I missed something in Fungal Wastes. Some NPC told me about upgrading my nail near the old city before Mantis Lords but I couldn't see a way to progress past the bridge.

Answers to both of your questions.

In the first zone there's an npc you can find that opens a shop in town that sells a lantern.

You can get across the bridge with the wall jump from the Mantis Village.

edit oh there was an entire page after that post

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Is there any way to disable the little "Press shift-tab to open the overlay" popup that appears any time I start a game? I don't want to have to open the overlay every single time I play a game.

edit: oh, the one that sticks around forever is the CD keys one which I can just check a box to not show again.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Mar 10, 2020

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

exquisite tea posted:

I can't wait to pay $60 to play this game again!!!

This but unironically.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

goferchan posted:

you can even do the pogo bounce thing from Hollow Knight

begins adding game to cart

edit Is there anywhere to find out what time it's coming out? I know it's March 11, that could mean any time from "in half an hour" onwards.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 11, 2020

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Orv posted:

I don't not believe (there's always a trillion edge cases with this stuff but) that something Microsoft published has ever had a midnight Steam launch so the usual 10AM PST bet is probably pretty solid.

I just got an install button now, so either that's a preload or this is an edge case.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

this game definitely hasn't been taking any cues from hollow knight or anything (Ori and the Will of the Wisps)

edit: I also just found a map-maker who travels from zone to zone (I think) and gained the ability to heal with the cost of energy that will also be able to fuel combat abilities and locking me in place while I use it.

I'm not complaining though, a bit of Hollow Knight mixed in while still retaining its own identity is working really nicely.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Mar 11, 2020

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'm really glad that they didn't think of the addition of proper boss fights as a replacement for the escape sequences, but rather using both so you basically get combat bosses and platforming bosses in Ori and the Will of the Wisps.

Game very good so far, it's got me way more grabbed than the first one did.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

So far, no tree escape sequences, there's just been one in an old watermill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Oh man the Silent Woods area in Ori 2 is wonderfully creepy. Game very good.