Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Away all Goats posted:

'Backlog' implies I intend to complete them as some point.

I bought four more games today before the sale ends. My backlog is huge. I have two 1TB external SSDs to cut down on all the downloading. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ragequit posted:

Hotline Miami 2: ~10 hours of rootin', tootin', and shootin' (I never did play the second one but it seems to be more of the first, which is also on sale if you've never played it)

Nooooope. It’s way worse than the first, the difficulty is completely hosed. You’ll get splattered by gun enemies from offscreen a LOT. I loved the original and bounced off the sequel right quick.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Katana Zero did a much better job of building upon the Hotline Miami formula. It's not <$5 and only 3-4 hours long, though.

I’m honestly surprised to see the Steam reviews be so positive now, I remember at release it went over pretty poorly. The difficulty felt like with was a romhack of the first one made for people that could beat the original in their sleep.

It also emphasized guns a lot more than the original, even at the start of the game- I really preferred the melee combat so that was really disappointing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

repiv posted:

Christ it's not even that far off, mines already at 16 years :gonk:

Mine just hit 15 years in December. What was even on Steam before Half Life 2? Counter Strike and nothing else?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

OzFactor posted:

Posting in the new thread to say that y'all were right all along: Prey is real good. I made a nerf crossbow, where do I get nerf crossbow bolts?

Above post answered the question, but just so you know-

The nerf crossbow is up there with the GLOO gun as far as best utility tool in the game, and it excels at dealing with a certain enemy type that chases things based on motion.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Anyone who wants SOW, SFV, or graveyard keeper, PM me and I’ll get it out to you tonight or tomorrow.

E:all claimed.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 3, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Occultatio posted:

Oh hey, speaking of free games with Twitch Prime, January has Dandara, Anarcute, Kingdom: New Lands, A Normal Lost Phone and Splasher. Seems pretty middling?

Kingdom:New Lands is pretty dogshit.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

mike12345 posted:

Also buy a second external hd and make a habit of backing up monthly. For personal/important files set up cloud sync.

I have two 1TB NVMe externals and it rules, I have all my important stuff backed up and games I want to play downloaded on a drive that reads at 1.4GB/s over a thunderbolt cable. Highly recommended, it cost about 250 all told and is such a difference in how I play games.

Also, Sniper Elite 4 is a good game but I grabbed the DLC over the sale and god drat, they took the improved level design and really improved it more. The DLC guns are also cool, it even has a real-life always surpressed rifle included if you want to just cheese missions.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

bentacos posted:

I just started this the other day and I made the dumb decision to do a No Alerts/No Kills/No Powers playthrough first. I guess that'll make my kill everything and find all the collectables playthrough all the more satisfying.

Never do a gimmick run on your first dishonored play through. That’s stupid and insane. You’ll hate the game. If you get spotted, use the many tools it gives you to get away. Why would you decide to ignore most gameplay mechanics your first time playing? :psyduck:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

bentacos posted:

I did mention that it was a dumb decision.

But you didn’t you changed your mind and decided to not play the game in a way intended for people who had beaten it like twice already.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

bentacos posted:

Where did I say I changed my mind? Are you referring to me saying I was going to do a kill everyone playthrough? Because that hasn't happened yet. I'm still working on the first playthrough.

Sorry I'm not playing the way you think I should, but I did just do three different playthroughs of the first game and decided this was what I wanted to do first.

Autocorrect are a word, that was supposed to be “didn’t say you changed your mind”.

Dishonored 2 added a bunch of tools for nonlethal stealth, has two different sets of powers, it’s just so weird to ignore all that on your first run through. Like, did you ghost your first play through of dishonored?

E:autocorrect hosed up a word in me bitching about autocorrect. It ATE a word, not are a word. Jesus Christ phone.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 6, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I mean, you do you, but it’s baffling to me to avoid most of the options in a game on your first time playing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

succ posted:

It's a great game but I've forgotten everything about the story since I last played.

Same, I haven’t played since June 2016 when Episode 4 dropped. Pretty sure it’s been almost as long between the release of the first episode and then and the release of the 4th episode and now.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Shrecknet posted:

Played ME and Bioshock on console. Was looking for MP shooters where i wouldnt be 360 noscoped before i left the spawn, but it always feels like the skill level is so much higher than mine that I can't ever get good because I spend too much time dead

The new CoD has been doing pretty well for me as far as matchmaking goes, and I’m usually pretty bad at online shooters.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Does anyone else have problems with Steam being incredibly bad at remembering that you have "allow downloads during gameplay" checked? I feel like I'm constantly having to turn it back on. At first I thought it was just after updates, but it's seeming more and more to just happen completely arbitrarily.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Black Griffon posted:

Have you checked allowed downloads as a universal setting?

Yep, I've always been doing it in the global settings instead of per-game, but it reverts at least once a week.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fart of Presto posted:

Whenever I have had issues with the Steam client, I log out of it, restart the PC and log in again. It has fixed my issues 99 times out of 100.

Here the problem seems to kick in when I log in/restart, though. There's some setting it's not always keeping between launches.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Oxxidation posted:

it's like its developer learned how to start designing video games but never figured out how to stop

That's so common with indie poo poo. The people who made the Long War mods for XCOM are the first ones to come to mind. The trailer for their upcoming game is this to the tenth power, it almost looks like it's gonna be cool but then it keeps getting bigger, and bigger, and oh god there's so many icons on the side of the screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2rv1NvINMU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Sanitarium is 70 percent off as part of the DotEmu sale. I snapped it up and you should too- I haven’t played it in more than a decade, but remember it as a deeply weird and surprisingly sad game. If you like point and click adventure games you’ll love it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Azran posted:

Apparently Iceborne has some big performance issues like a memory leak, no idea if it's connected to the anti-cheat but do keep that in mind.

...so what you're saying is that it would make me dropping 32 GB of RAM into my laptop worth it?

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jan 12, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Det_no posted:

No. It's simply poorly coded and there's some stupidly high CPU usage for no reason whatsoever. The game was always pretty poorly optimized on that front, hence why Special K for MH became a thing in the first place, but Iceborne went balls to the wall making it worse by adding constant, useless scanning of the processes related to the game.

You either wait for an official fix, hope that the new versions of Special K don't get you banned or buy a new CPU.

Oh, that’s just bad coding and not a memory leak then.

God, I remember back when a gig of RAM was a lot and some games would never release any memory they took; so you’d have to save, kill them through task manager/kill em all, and reboot them.

E: not being pedantic to be a dick, just saw a LAN party thread and been posting in the DX thread. Also talked about computer upgrades in the unpopular video game opinion thread. It got me nostalgic for the bad old days. Those were fun.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jan 12, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mierenneuker posted:

I only caught the very end of the DOS era, but I’m pretty sure there are people here who will laugh hard at “a gig of RAM”. There will be war stories about spending hours managing their computer memory just to get a game going.

Oh god, are you talking about the boot disc days?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

bentacos posted:

brb, gotta edit autoexec.bat

Giving me ‘nam flashbacks over here. If F-15 Strike Eagle II was on GOG I’d probably pick it up for old time’s sake after this.

Commanche, I think, was the one that always took the most boot disc finagling for me, but that game was pretty well past was an IBM PS1 should be able to handle if I remember right. Lot of messed up colors.

E:25 MHZ and 2 MB of RAM? Holy poo poo, I hope I never fall in a wormhole to 1993.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bruceski posted:

My main computer tech memory is our copy of Ultima VI/Wing Commander becoming unplayable from CPU speed (386 to 486? Pretty sure it was when we moved from DOS to Windows 3.1). We later downloaded MoSlo from the school's computer lab (we didn't have internet at home) to hamstring the home computer to play them.

When we put a CD drive in the PS/1 it came with a disc with like 16 full games on it to blow your mind about how much CDs held. One was Wing Commander Academy, which I loved, but I could not, for the life of me, get Strike Commander to run. I read the manual for that over and over as a kid, it looked like exactly my kind of poo poo.

It also had Shadowcaster which I still want GOG to get so loving bad.

E:If I made a “back in my day”:weird poo poo you did to get games to run thread, would anyone be interested? I have a fun story involving a new PSU and a band saw with my old Compaq.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 12, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zachack posted:

Haha a buck a meg. Back in the DOS days the normal price from ram was $70-80 per meg, and that price was standard for a long time. Not sure of the truth of this but the reason I heard for ram prices finally dropping was Windows 95, because it needed more ram and supposedly MS told the ram cartel (which basically price fixed) that they could either lower prices or MS would build/buy their own RAM factory and undercut them out of business.

For a while in the 2000’s a decent stick of RAM was basically something you’d find in a box of cracker jacks. Then the price spiked a few years ago, but the 32 GB I slapped in my laptop cost me like... 60-80 bucks last summer? 2 bucks a gig still kind of blows my mind.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Givin posted:

Wish the PS5 controller was just another PS3 controller. Get rid of that stupid trackpad nobody uses.

The PS3 controller was awful, though. The triggers were super mushy and the convex sticks felt like they were made to have your thumbs slide off them.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ShootaBoy posted:

Yeah, it was pretty bad to use. I really like the PS4 controller, especially in comparison.

I’m on my third PS4 controller in three years, but they are waaaay better to use than the PS3.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

God dammit, I was looking forwards to that. Though I was holding off on preordering Doom Eternal since Cyberpunk was coming out right after, so I guess I’ll go do that now.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mordja posted:

Cool. I mean, I don't really want to actually play it or anything, but cool.

Did you already play it on PS4? It was a goddamn blast, I really enjoyed it. Shooting bits off of robots was so satisfying. It was like Monster Hunter but fun.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Terminally Bored posted:

Brigador Killers is a 2020 game iirc. Also all the Yakuza remasters and Y7.

Brigador Killers is going to own so goddamn hard.

And they had better put the remasters and Y7 on PC, trying to go back to playing games on my PS4 with a slowass HDD is excruciating.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Horizon has a surprisingly good setting/story too. John Gonzalez is the narrative director, and he was the lead writer on New Vegas.

There’s a set of collectible items in the world that have some additional flavor text in the menu on top of the narration when you find them in the world and it’s just straight up depressing in a really well done way. The backstory was fantastic.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mordja posted:

I dunno if they fixed it, but in the GB video I saw around release it looked like you could just sit in a bush the whole game, lure a robit closer and get an instakill stealth attack.

If you do get a stealth attack, it's basically just a move with increased damage, not a "thing dies now" button. It'll one-shot the Watcher guys and with some upgrades, maybe the grazers, but anything that's got any kind of combat ability will still be ticking.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

explosivo posted:

I tried Bloodborne on the free trial for PS Now and it was definitely awful. The input lag was terrible from clicking around the menu but I never even got to play the game because PS Now only supports Playstation controllers from what I can tell which I do not have.

PSNow is fine on a PS4 with the games you can download, but their attempt at streaming is why everyone pretty much (rightly) figured that google Stadia would be a disaster. poo poo just does not work for single player games that were designed with local input in mind. There's lag correction on shooters and it's gotten really good, but it doesn't work with single player games that have zero lag correction at all.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mokinokaro posted:

Bloodborne is such a technical nightmare on PS4 I fear what a PC port would be like. Probably worse than the original DS1 port.

The PS4 is basically a cheap PC, as is the XBox1, so porting to PC is waaaay easier than it was in the PS3 Cell architecture days.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fifteen of Many posted:

I’ve got an old 660 and have been trying to talk myself into either a 1060/1080 or springing for a 2060s. I miss being able to buy things in the steam sale!

Although I suppose buying games I lack the technical capability for so they sit on a backlog for years is very on-brand steam use.

Hard to go wrong with a 1660. It’s two hundo and runs basically everything new maxed at 1080p60 FPS

And as far as “gently caress Ted Faro” goes, I posted that exact phrase without knowing it was a Thing as my first post in the HZD spoiler thread and like eight people replied “One of us, one of us”. gently caress Ted Faro.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Protocol7 posted:

I bought HZD like 3 months ago on PSN, guess it's nigh time I actually played it.

It’s probably the best game I played in 2017. You’ll love it unless you have that weird goon allergy to open world games.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Same. Open world games are my favorite.

I love open world games, but for whatever reason any time one that isn’t RDR2 is mentioned in an SA thread someone will jump in to call it an Ubisoft-style mess. (I also happen to love most Ubi games, but anyway)

Done right, an open world game can be a lot of fun. Done wrong, you have RDR2, where it’s a bunch of stuff made to waste your time for no reward.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I feel like that post was fine-tuned to trigger somebody.

I assure you, my hatred of that turd is genuine.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Deakul posted:

RDR2 is cool and good and tickles my frontiersman fantasy in just about every way.

I'm sorry that it's not for you, my friend.

Every time I was almost about to have fun, the game would end up doing something that got in my way and drove me nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

exquisite tea posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn has a really strong central storyline and a much deeper combat system than most open-world RPGs. The world itself is also quite compact and doesn't really demand that you participate in clearing out each possible activity.

As far as map sweeping goes, though, the vantage points are a must. They fill out the backstory some and have a really well-written story of their own.