Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

StrixNebulosa posted:

Ground floor. I think everyone in here should get Demoncrawl because it's the best minesweeper RPG you never knew you wanted.

It's also got quite an unexpected plot, even if there's not much of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Hah, not Ace Combat. This is a series that thrives on insane cinematic bullshit like flying through tunnels, giant laser towers and jousting but with JETS while spanish guitar plays.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Unlucky7 posted:

So I found out that the checkpointing in Ori 2 can be a bit fucky currently. I was butting my head against some enemies (Albiet enemies in an area that I am clearly supposed to go to later, and it respawned me in a room with a locked door. With no way out. Oh, and it autosaved.

FORTUNATELY, there is a backup save option on your save slot that keeps track of the last 10 autosaves, so all I lost was about 10 minutes, and even then I went further back than I needed to so I could make sure I did not touch the area until I am actually good and ready. So yeah, could have been worse.

Wanted to post this in case anyone experienced similar and hopefully inform them before they rage quit.

Provided you're far enough in, you can also just teleport to a fast travel point from the map screen. I think that ability unlocks when you hit the town hub, but I'm not totally sure.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

anilEhilated posted:

Oh, yeah, this ought to be seconded: if you play Odyssey, play as Kassandra. She's much more likeable a protagonist.
And when it comes to DLC, the ones you really want are Curse of the Pharaohs (Origins) and Fate of Atlantis (Odyssey). The one taking place in Sinai is really bland and the Odyssey one has the stupid timeskip baby plot.

I liked Alexios more, so I always get a little weirded out at how consistently the internet seems to hate him. I didn't think the difference was so extreme that one is objectively better than the other...

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Armor-Piercing posted:

Also a good game on sale, puzzle game Tametsi is $1.50 (50% off) for the next few days. It's the same sort as HexCells and Patterna, and the difficulty is somewhere between the two, which is nice because Patterna is often a bit too much for me.

I've put 60 hours into it so far and just finished the main set of 100 puzzles with another set of 60 to go. I'd recommend grabbing the HexCells trilogy and SquareCells first if you haven't played those yet, but after this is a nice step up and a ton of content for the price.

The worst part of these kinds of puzzle games is when you think you have your logic right, but messed up somewhere and hit a mine. Not because you failed, but because the added information messes up the puzzle flow greatly. Very depressing. Thanks for the rec though, great game for the price.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Warrior might only get three skills, but it doesn't matter because you only need one. Arc of Deliverance all day every day.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ShootaBoy posted:

Thanks for Into the Breach! Gonna bash a load of bugs in the face later.

To give back (and because we all have nothing else to do right now), I've got a random selection of keys that have accrued over time for those that want them.

Teslagrad
Distrust
Orwell: Keeping an Eye on You
ETHEREAL
Domina
Flat Kingdom Paper's Cut Edition
Kathy Rain
N++
Pony Island

Just speak up in the thread and I'll either PM you the key if you have Plat or through steam messages, failing that.

I'd like Orwell if it's still available, it always seemed interesting but not interesting enough to actually buy.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

StrixNebulosa posted:

It took me five hours to make it off of the first island in AssCreed Odyssey and make it to Megaris. That included exploration, sidequests, and enjoying ocean combat.

Jesus christ. I knew this game was huge but it's really gobsmacking how giant the map is, the scale of it.

Yeah, my experience with Odyssey was running around the first island, doing all the quests and feeling super satisfied at its conclusion and thinking "Well, that was pretty cool! What are there, like, 10 more areas like that? That'd be good."

And then finally zooming out the map. And feeling fear in my map marker addicted soul.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The 7th Guest posted:

important news: new hero of the kingdom for chill out times https://store.steampowered.com/app/1249130/

Man, I'm super wary of getting this on release. I loved HotK 1 and 2 but 3 was so loving awful...

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

GrandpaPants posted:

I heard Job system and I'm already in.

Don't get TOO excited, they're not as distinct as FF jobs or anything.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ZearothK posted:

Oh, I missed that update, the pre-release one was rather grim in perspective, good thing they've managed to turn a profit!

Sion is definitely the MVP in party, even with the other two characters that join you later. He's just excellent at dunking on groups of enemies, my Albus and Irene aren't quite on that level, which just shows how you can optimize the mastery system.

Albus is there to basically sit in front of entire groups of melee enemies taking no damage and countering them to death. Retaliation is one hell of a drug and you can stack his dodge really effectively.

I still haven't quite figured out how to use Irene effectively, personally. She's very hard to kill but it also feels like she doesn't do enough damage. Maybe I need to grind out some fire related masteries somewhere.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Alamoduh posted:

This look amazing!

Ok, I bought troubleshooters after the discussion in this thread made it seem good. And it is good, BUT it has all of the usual anime trash that make me never buy any games with an anime tag in the first place.

Overuse of “....” in every conversation? Check!
Overuse of star symbols and heart symbols in every conversation? Check!
Annoying dialogue where everyone acts like they are in middle school? Check!
Everyone is an orphan or otherwise parentless? Check!

Sexualized children! CHECK!

Anne Macy, the “teenager” you are talking about, is either 8 or 10 years old, wears an incredibly short skirt and a leather garter on one leg with a teddy bear on it. Her stat sheet lists her as 35kg. Very kawaii!

There’s another chainsaw-wielding preteen girl, but she it looks like they’re doing that “thousand year old demon, really” thing ive read about here. There are other teenage girls, and they are not sexualized as much as 8 year old Anne Macy.

Can someone please explain to me why this is even a thing? I mean, the game is pretty good mechanically, but everything the anime touches is loving trash.

Going by the profiles she's 5 years younger than Albus, who is like AT LEAST 19 due to Korean Drinking Laws. So she's at the absolute minimum 14. Not that it excuses the rest, but y'know, anime gonna anime even when it's korean. Also, excuse me, it is clearly a fox and not a teddy bear.

I don't think anyone has ever talked about Troubleshooter as anything but extremely anime XCOM at least.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ZearothK posted:

The game is undeniably extremely anime, specially with character designs and I wouldn't complain if Anne's skirt was longer, but I feel the only one who's sexualized is this dude.

(and yeah, there are a bunch of "why doesn't he wear a shirt" reactions from characters in-game)

He doesn't wear a shirt because he's obviously DMC3 Dante cosplaying as what he thinks a normal human is.

Big fan of his bullet belt that seems completely ornamental given that his dumb looking wii shotguns appear to use clips.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ZearothK posted:

I am ~50 hours in and I've unlocked a new subsystem, Pokemon. Which I really wasn't expecting.

When I went to look up some info on Masteries I found out about that system and also that there is YET ANOTHER similarly complex system later, making your own robot buddies so uh yeah this game has probably too many goddang systems but I like it anyways. The plot is, while anime, surprisingly good? They certainly manage to get a lot of pathos out of some dipshits with spoons on their faces.

I think I hit some sort of ridiculous breakthrough with Sion and now he's hitting in the 5k range while the rest of my party is lucky to hit 1k. And he has by far the best AoE in the group. Boy is a total monster.

Edit: By the way, anyone know if there's any benefit to maxing both of a characters advanced classes? I see absolutely no reason to switch Sion off Black Mage if there isn't.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 14, 2020

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Tae posted:

I got my fifth party members and average level 20, prepare to change how you approach battle because Sion's squishness comes into play as enemies hit harder, and skills start to exist that prevent one-shots no matter how strong you are.

God, enemies with Impulse Field are the worst. The worst!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man, Troubleshooter gets pretty hard as you progress. I've got my party of 5 around level 26 or so and I keep barely scraping by the story missions. Maybe it's time for me to figure out how to actually craft some better equipment and take a long look at my masteries. Either that or I need to learn to NOT send Albus and Irene up front alone and get them murdered by lucky crits.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 15, 2020

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, if you came in from XCOM the first few chapters could probably be sleepwalked through even on Hard, but around the 20's it really picks up on the challenge. I haven't gone into item crafting yet, but retuning Masteries is probably the best way to make characters stronger, don't sleep on the percentage or per level ones, plus you probably unlocked a lot of good ones from subclass level ups.

Have you been picking up quests from Shooter Street? I took a detour through there when I felt the main story was kicking my rear end and it has a nice mix of short missions and ones you can do from normal cases, plus the main story will require you to increase your company level from missions there at one point. If you are doing the local quest backlog make sure to turn on Challenge mode for them to be interesting to do.

Yeah, I've been doing them as I go along. I think my main problem is really just that the White Tiger gang is ridiculously OP. Their random gun guys have an ability that increases their hit rate if one of them missed, their melee guys have loving Impulse Field, their advanced melee guys seem to have a constantly 100%+ block rate, they have basically no mages to easily gank... Their snipers are pretty horrifying too, that map where you're trying to fight past a barricade while snipers rain down shots at you was a total bloodbath that ended with LITERALLY my entire cast killed, had to limp past the finish line with generic police officers.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I think my problem with the Mastery Board is I'm addicted to Shukuchi and making sets in general, to the point where I sometimes forget to even check if I LIKE the set I'm making. But really mostly it's an addiction to Shukuchi. Gotta go fast! And die fast, apparently.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

So, uh, fellow Troubleshooters... Is there any better strategy for dealing with John besides hitting him until he triggers his buff then running the gently caress away until it runs out? He was a real nasty surprise to come across.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Tae posted:

The white tiger group is basically going to force you to retreat and barely survive for a while. Always group up, use the cops as meatshields if you can, Shield cops are basically bait in Wall mode when you have them. Raise the block/evasion on Albus/Irene as much as possible to tank through.

Things didn't really settle down until I did a once-over of all the previous missions (yellow text means new) and Giselle joined.

No, I mean, John isn't even White Tiger, he's the Spoonist guy who becomes literally immortal for 4 turns when his buff triggers and is also insanely powerful and capable of one shotting whoever he hits. I still won because I ran away until his buff ran out and then killed him with Sion (and then he revived again with second heart/third heart and killed sion and I had to finish him off with cops and Anne but details).

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Also on Troubleshooter news man this mission where you have to go through warehouses loving sucks if you don't realize what's going to happen once you do find what you're looking for. I had my crew spread out looking for Mr.Lee and then everything very quickly went to poo poo. Second try I just kept everyone together and it went flawlessly. The more I play the more I realize splitting anyone off the main squad is a terrible idea, even Hero Irene.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I just got Ray and I can't quite figure out what her place in the team is. I guess she's one of the characters that only really starts blooming once I get her into the advanced classes, but her default stuff has not really been all that useful, compared to invincible god tank Irene and Sion's hilarious ability to just destroy entire teams of enemies.

I'm still really not sure what class I like everyone in. There's some serious pros and cons to each. It's good balance, I suppose, but drat if it doesn't make it hard to make a decision. While invincible god tank Irene is pretty great, you can do some silly stuff with Martial Artist too.

Edit: Troubleshooter related, of course. Man, it WOULD be nice to have a thread, but I don't begrudge others for not wanting to take on the monumental task of creating an OP for it. Mechanics upon mechanics...

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Yo, fellow Troubleshooters, how the gently caress do you do the Scent of the Past mission as Irene? She just seems to get instantly bodied before I can even get a turn to turn on her ultra block armor, and this mission is apparently the source of several Irene-exclusive masteries.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Cardiovorax posted:

Anyone else hear about those recent rumors that Bloodborne may actually be coming to PC at some point in the relatively near future? I kind of want to believe it's true.

There's been Bloodborne PC rumors for years. At this point I'll believe it when I see the Steam page, and a not a second earlier.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ZearothK posted:

Is that the park mission where you have intermissions with everyone? I think in Irene's case she just has to get her rear end kicked and maybe re-do it at a higher level, because Luna is a monster. You can complete that encounter even if you lose that fight.

Oh. That'd... Make sense. I kept restarting after I lost the fight, figuring there was no way I could get the rewards if I did. Welp.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Troubleshooter: So, I can understand how to get every other piece of it, but how do you get the accessory part of the Negoori sets? That 5 piece bonus looks spicy.

Alternatively, tell me why I'm an idiot for chasing after a level 30 set.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Help, Troubleshooter pals. I've fallen into a beast training hole and I can't get out. My party is going to be so overleveled because I keep going back to tame more beasts and figure out how all this poo poo works and raising my own special lightning shooting good boy from scratch.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Excuse me, this Ray set bonus gives grenades HOW MUCH extra damage? And I can have six of these?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Troubleshooter continues to be really good but it's also really WEIRD in a lot of ways. Like how you can get access to masteries (think of them like equippable skills) for classes none of your characters can actually access. I guess these are futureproofing for future characters, but it's still very irritating to see this drat Negate Enemy Counters mastery in my inventory and have absolutely no way of using it.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Karanas posted:

What are goon opinions on Code Vein?

It's pretty good, has solid enough mechanics and interesting ways to build your character that are also pretty easy to change on the fly to try different specialties. Plot is extremely anime and so are the graphics so stay away if allergic. The DLC is largely not worth it so don't worry about it either. There is one zone around the 1/3rd mark of the game that is infamously annoying to traverse but if you make it through it things never get THAT bad again. It's also a game with a pretty decent sort of difficulty selection considering it's a single difficulty soulslike, in that you can make the game a lot more hardcore by not bringing a companion NPC along.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I think I'm too old and slow for Cook Serve Delicious. I bought 3 on glowing recommendations from this thread and I can see how it's good, but as soon as I upgraded to having to try and use difficulty 2 dishes I just couldn't hack it anymore. My brain is too slow to process it or something.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

It'd be easy if it was just muscle memory but any recipe that has a variation just slows me down dramatically. Like, even basic cookies gently caress me up since I need to stop and read and parse which button to click is the one that matches the required flavor. I try to fill in my menu with non-variation recipes but that's not always an option. This would maybe be easier if I was playing on keyboard instead of mouse but that would require way more keyboard skill than I have.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Whoa, agree to disagree. I felt 2 was better than 3 personally. More character customization options that aren't covered in tape for no reason, a better storyline (Still... Extremely anime, but I liked it more anyways), and it has the good bullet crafting instead of the nerfed stuff in 3. I liked the Blood Arts in 2 more than the Burst Arts in 3 and 3 is also missing I WILL WIIIIIIIN mode which is just depressing. Besides, if you get 2 you also get the 1 remake, so hey.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Occultatio posted:

Question for the thread: I'm buying some random DLCs for games I like, and am ~$5 short of the $30 coupon cutoff. Which of these three games should I add to my cart?

Wintermoor Tactics Club ($10)
Journey ($11)
Madorica Real Estate ($8.50)

I'm aware that these are three radically different games; I'm torn because:

* The story/setting/concept of Wintermoor sounds super interesting, although I'm iffy on tactics games as a genre

* Everybody says how amazing Journey is, but like, I'm not sure I want to drop that much money on what seems like a really passive Experience Game

* I love puzzles/escape room-type games, which would put Madorica at the top of the list, but I'm really not sure how good the puzzles are in practice; has anybody played it that can speak to whether the puzzles are Solveable by Humans versus Bullshit?

I'm gonna be a contrarian here and recommend against Journey. I'm sure back when it released it was incredible, but I bought it to complete a sale (like you) and it's... It's fine. I guess. It's also like an hour and a half long. The only really interesting thing about it is the voice-less and text-less multiplayer thing, which, admittedly, turned out to be kinda interesting and endearing, but it wasn't enough to carry the game. It's just too dang short and doesn't do enough with what few mechanics it has. I know this thread has a lot of people who lean on the short games being good side, but surely an hour and a half for 11 bucks is a bad deal for anyone?

Edit: Man this is a terrible snipe.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Assuming I'm only in the mood for one retro throwback FPS, which should I go for between Amid Evil and Dusk?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

At least feel confident that you're not as wrong as me, the person who plays CSD3 with a mouse (and the CTRL key).

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

You can slide your mouse through any recipe without variation really fast! Which means I'm really good at making lovely recipes and really bad at making the actually difficult stuff! It's terrible and I don't know why I play this way but I'm too used to it to change now!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Excelzior posted:

if your game includes a friendly dog npc, yet the player does not have the option of petting said dog, you can gently caress right off with your bullshit game for idiots

if i ever make a videogame i'm going to include a whole menagerie of animals you can pet but explicitly exclude dogs just to spite that stupid twitter account, this is my vendetta

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I mean I briefly watched some gameplay and it looks so insanely boring to play most of the time I can't imagine enjoying it, especially not at full AAA release day pricing. Maybe once it goes on sale for 50% or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Death Stranding is a weird game. I feel like it shouldn't be fun, but it somehow is? I have no idea HOW but it's the first game I've played in a while where I've completely lost track of time while playing it. Kojima magic I guess?