Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Sonic was a mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
:colbert:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Bundles have to go back in full, grouped purchases can go back piecemeal.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Nope, nope nope nope. Brain no work that way.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Orv
May 4, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

Oh yeah, this too. I guess you can differentiate between stuff like texture pop-in, LOD pop-in and just straight up objects popping into view.

Yeah they are definitely different levels of problems but I figured that was a good primer on the idea for someone who didn't know.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm in the mood for some mindless, grindy shooting fun. Warframe or Destiny 2?

Destiny 2 has almost peerless shooting and increasingly obtuse everything else. Warframe has fine shooting but is more ability driven (this changes depending on what you're doing) and is also completely impenetrable to a new player if you do any progression stuff. My personal vote is Destiny but I've spent... time with both and they're both very good and frankly not terribly comparable.

Orv
May 4, 2011

HenryEx posted:

It's funny that this is the example you went with, because Revengeance is one of the peak soundtracks that's really not that great if you separate it from the game.

loving wrong.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Unfortunately that is just the nature of how Steam downloads, decompresses and installs things.

Orv
May 4, 2011

SelenicMartian posted:

Does AC Odyssey allow you to ignore the plot and go sidequesting/exploring for 60 hours?

Almost immediately, though the level gating is a tiny bit stricter so you will need to do it in a vague order, but there's always 2+ options for each range.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Givin posted:

Wish the PS5 controller was just another PS3 controller. Get rid of that stupid trackpad nobody uses.

Hey! I use the stupid trackpad.

Used.

Once.

Cause a game made me.

Yeah alright.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Gobbeldygook posted:

Wait, that big button in the middle of the dualshock is a trackpad? I thought it was just a weird big button.

The vast majority of games made for PS4 just use it as two more buttons since it can click in to either side as two more buttons. There were a few things near the start of the PS4's lifespan that tried to do more with it but it was quickly realized to be a pointless gimmick. I guess if you wanted to hurt yourself DS4Windows picks it up as your mouse?

Orv
May 4, 2011

K8.0 posted:

I don't like RE7 either, and it's mostly due to it trying to not be campy. There's still absurdity there, but rather than embracing it, RE7 tries too hard to play it straight. They listened to the fans too much and tried to make a serious horror game, but those are loving boring. Resident Evil always pretended to be horror, but slowly abandoned that veneer over the course of each game until it became absolutely hilarious.

This feels mildly revisionist. Not that early RE doesn't have some absurdity but it definitely went more straight-laced than not in the early days.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I mean, yeah. There is a certain level of violent camp that only FMV can provide.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Obit. Chris Redfield, 1986-2013. Crushed to death beneath a pile of bewilderingly assembled ceramic dolls.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Delays are almost never the cause of or related to a game being bad if it ends up bad, don't worry about it.

E: To clarify, because goons, most games that are bad - especially at a CDPR/EA/Ubi/whomever level of dev - are bad from the bottom up. A delay can be good for tech or to add content but if the game design is rotten that isn't going to change.

Orv fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 16, 2020

Orv
May 4, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

The 2020 release schedule is absolutely desolate, or am I just uninformed? Is Humankind supposed to come out this year? That, Cyberpunk, a game freed from exclusivity (Outer Wilds), and a port of a 2019 game (Death Stranding) are all I have on my 2020 radar.

Just things in general that people are probably excited for;

Nioh 2, DOOM Eternal, FF7 Remake, Last of Us 2, Bravely Default II, Crusader Kings 3, Elden Ring, Dying Light 2, Hollow Knight: Silksong, VTM:B 2.

That said, I definitely bought the least new releases of a year in years last year (christ what a sentence) and I'll likely do the same here. Hard to say if it's a declining interest, though I don't think so or just a weirdly skint couple of years.

Orv
May 4, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/australia-fire-relief

25$ nets you a bunch of games including Hollow Knight!!

Thus I acquire my 953rd copy of Machinarium.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Leal posted:

Just port every console game so I can finally stop bothering with consoles all together.

Good news if this thing about HZD is true we may finally be at that point, between Microsoft having done it already and Sony on the way.

Orv
May 4, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

I don't think Sony will make it a common practice, but porting Horizon to PC is a smart move when you're at the end of a console's lifespan and want to drum up hype for the PS5 with Horizon One Noon.

I don't expect that we'll see like, an actual end to console exclusives but we might see an end to platform exclusives. Putting things on Your Console and PC is only more money, depending on the relative costs of the dual development and Microsoft appears to have learned that and hopefully Sony follows suit.

E: Though it would be very Microsoft for them to have really oversold this whole "And PC too!" thing as a result of their testing PC Game Pass only to decide that PC Game Pass is costing them too many sales and go back to console only releases.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Azran posted:

Will I like Cossacks 3 if I like old RTS games like Age of Empires 2 and the time period? I've never played one of those and apparently the one on Steam is some sort of remake?

Cossacks 3 is essentially a remake of Cossacks 1 but also not entirely. The entire history of the series is a bit bizarre, it's definitely a sort of left field Total War-lite meets Age of Empires.

If you're looking for a SP RTS campaign it has a very good one with two caveats;
  • Missions can be absurdly long. Literal hours.
  • The missions occasionally require some level of trial and error, which can be mitigated simply by playing well but you will almost certainly at some point have to restart a mission and they only restart from the beginning, ever.

Cossacks is a series getting made for people who have loved it since the first one, much like Stronghold and it is aggressively uninterested in changing itself to meet modern standards. That said if you like fairly complex RTSes with surprisingly good challenge, it's not bad at all.

Orv
May 4, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

What resolution is the horse's butthole in RDR2?

Rectal megatextures.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm almost certain - though I am not reinstalling 156GB to be sure - that you can disable most of or all of the HUD in 5. The non-graphical options menus are fairly deep, especially compared to say RDR2.

Orv
May 4, 2011
FiveM exists, my dude.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

How reliable is the backwards compatibility for the PS5 going to be? When the PS2 did it, it had trouble emulating half my games with its constant crashing.

The backwards compatibility isn't even officially confirmed in any capacity, so. It's just a semi-educated reasonable guess.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Majin posted:

Just download an emulator and play your super old (legal*) games in way better graphics than an “emulator” on the PS5 is likely to ever give you? Even from people who don’t have “gaming PCs” in this day and age you should at least be able to do better emulation of PS3 games than the original could do on its own with all the added features modern day emulators provide.

Just pop the disc in and you’re good. Burn an ISO beforehand if you want for even faster data access rates.

People have already explained it but that's really not how it works, no. If PS5 had the rumored backwards compatibility, which is to say made by the people who definitively know how the consoles work and have the ability to build their emulation around that rather than the nightmare job that most emulators are, it'd be extremely nice. Of course, let us not forget the cautionary tale of the PS3's emulation so, who knows.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Has there been anything new on that HZD-to-PC rumor?

It was by Jason Schreier so it's got pretty good chances of being true but also I wouldn't expect anything more concrete on it for at least a little bit, it's only been a week.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

someone spelled it right, i can finally die

For all intensive purposes it really doesn't matter how it's spelled.

Orv
May 4, 2011

poo poo, nice.

Orv
May 4, 2011
We're all very cunning.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Azran posted:

Apparently the first stages of the Age of Empires 3: Definitive Edition beta will start early next month, for like the three people in here who care. I love what they did to AoE2:DE so I'm very much looking forward to 3.

As someone who once had strong opinions about AOE3 I have come to really appreciate it as a comp stomp game and wouldn't mind a version not saddled with GFWL and maybe a bit less lovely on the technical front.

Still waiting for my AOM:DE, Microsoft. :argh:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sininu posted:

It never had GFWL on Steam. It never had it elsewhere either.

Maybe i'm thinking of it being available on the GFWL store? I swear I'm not entirely crazy, though my memory is for sure going.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

Huh, someone in the Epic Store thread said that Microsoft stopped doing that and that they can access their folder structure just fine. Maybe I misunderstood something.

It's still locked down by default but there are things you can do to fix that. They're involved and extremely annoying though.

Orv
May 4, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

For some reason people LOVE Xbox Gamepass and are similarly cold on things like Ubisoft's gamepass which I don't think I've ever seen anybody mention.

Game Pass has had a ton of recent and even new games that have made the sub worth the money, even as someone who likes Ubisoft stuff I'm not out there playing every game they make and I'd rather just buy them. A single publisher sub is a way harder ask I think in terms of value.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Xaris posted:

ah yes, those sick nasty (Bad!) gamers slurping up Microsoft's game pass because it's literally $1 to play 10 dozen semi-new to brand new games that are still $10-$50 to buy, instead of being a real man and paying $15/month real earth buckos subbing to Ubisoft's game pass which has amazing games such as ghost recon warfighter and uh, farcry 5. no good!

loving rubes don't know what they're missing!!!

Even as someone who thinks the attitude towards Ubisoft around here is pretty dumb sometimes I don't think that's what SSB was going for.

Orv
May 4, 2011
No argument, honestly. Like I said, if you're offering up only your catalog as The Subscription Wars begin you better be diversified.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Brutakas posted:

Rise of Legends: DE when?

Just make Rise of Legends 2 and for a change of pace make it a good game.

I love RoL but quality it ain't.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Just to clarify, sans deals/promotions Game Pass PC is $5 right now and will eventually go up to $10 so keep an eye out for that email or news story or whatever if you wanna cancel.

Orv
May 4, 2011

So I'm definitely interested in this but uh, this line of text is preceded by this image.

Bloody Spell posted:

Ten years ago, Yejin and his sister Li went to practice martial arts under the sect of Wanfa. Since then, they have been far away from the complicated human world.

E: Also I love this broken English for explaining "it's a Dark Souls"

The highlight of the level design is the form of random combination, that is, the scenes, monsters, equipment, and configuration of the props that the player is reborn after death are different from before, so that the game presents diverse characteristics, increasing the level variables and The game is fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah I bought that thing and I'm not even in game yet and it's more Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

E: Oh my god. :allears:

Semi-NFSW for extremely unnecessary menu.

Also it just straight up has a mode called Bloody Palace and your jump has i-frames. What the hell is this thing.

Orv fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 26, 2020