Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I know this probably isn't the best thread to talk about it, but I honestly can't believe that Blizzard made it so that you can't even play the old disc version of Warcraft III anymore without upgrading to Reforged.

It's so bizarre, since they made the classic version Starcraft free, with the HD version being an upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

yesssssss

I don't play it in fullscreen mode - windowed mode has been working perfectly for me!

life is perfect and beautiful they're so adorable

MAXIMUM BIRD

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

:orks: We'z gonna show dem Band-Eye Nam-Ko gitz wat real Ace Kombat iz! WAAAAAAAAAGGGGHHH!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

seriously that was a weird coincidence

Had there not been talk about Ace Combat on the previous page, it would have been a Jane's Combat Simulations joke.

I actually haven't played any of the Ace Combat games, but those AC7 gifs make it look pretty cool. Is it real difficult?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Look Sir Droids posted:

The difference between Soulsborne and Sekiro to me is that Dark Souls and Bloodborne give you ways to engage with and modify the difficulty. No difficulty settings needed because you can stats or weapon your way out of problems if needed. Sekiro essentially gives you one and only one approach to the game. It would lose nothing with difficulty settings. I find that kind of difficulty extremely boring.

You’re absolutely right difficulty is subjective though.

That's why I haven't picked up Sekiro yet. With Soulsborne, your stats and gear make a big impact in how you approach fights, and if you're having trouble, you can try switching weapons or gain more levels to beat a boss.

Sekiro (based on what I was told) is more static, and largely boils down to mastering the parry system, and that's because of that, I think it's considered to be a lot harder.

I think Nioh better fits the mold of 'samurai-themed Dark Souls' than Sekiro does. Plus, I find Nioh to be (in some ways) marginally more easier and lenient than the Soulsborne games.(DISCLAIMER: I really liked Nioh, so I'm very biased.)

In my head, I had drafted up a whole essay on the difficulty topic. Maybe I should sit down and try to actually write it out for other people to read.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

If I can write 1.6k words on zombie games in this thread then you can do the same for difficulty. :justpost:

Well, the biggest obstacle will be translating it from my head into a coherent, structured form without making it sound pretentious or stupid, but I'll give it a shot. Maybe in like a week's time or so, I'll be able to find the time, energy, and motivation to produce something.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 23, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Too Shy Guy posted:

They've never run me out of this thread for being either, you'll be fine
What about if it's too rambling or disjointed?

Triarii posted:

As a counterpoint, I personally found Nioh pretty boring in the latter half specifically for those reasons - because I was able to build my character in such a way that I could just walk up to an enemy and spam uninterruptible special attacks while ignoring whatever they were doing, and healing back whatever damage I took. I was barely paying attention to the game for a lot of it, whereas even basic fights in Sekiro captured 100% of my attention, and boss fights took, like...120% of my attention.

Did you go through the DLC, or play the harder difficulties? The DLC ratchets the difficulty up after the main campaign, and I found I couldn't beat the first boss of the DLC until I had run through some of the main campaign again on Way of the Strong to get some more level and gear to handle it.

I know I cheesed some of the harder post-game encounters on Way of the Samurai with Divine gear, but even then it was still tough.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 23, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Well poo poo, I wrote up a bunch of miscellaneous stuff on difficulty last night, but it looks like everyone else did too. Uh...

exquisite tea posted:

Developers are entitled to make their games as difficult or accessible as they want but people are also free to call into question why the game absolutely needs to be hard for everyone, and when they do I often find myself wondering the same thing. This has nothing to do with legitimate accomodations for people with disabilities, which more games should strive for.

Lightningproof posted:

As a gamer of legendary ability I think making games more accessible is cool.

Thing is, I think there's a difference between making a game 'easy' and making it 'accessible'.

I've seen talk about this in regards to allowing alternate control schemes for people who have physical disabilities, there's games that have started including a color-blind mode, and there's complaints when games don't include subtitles. However, none of those really relate to the difficulty of a game. I've seen the argument that it's ableist to not include an easy mode for those have disabilities, but I'd argue (albeit not real vehemently) that's it more ableist to assume that a person with disabilities need the challenge toned down for them. This person (a quadriplegic) managed to beat one of Sekiro's bosses.

John Murdoch posted:

2) Even if they did take the laziest, cheapest option as long as it had no effects on anyone else's experience who the gently caress cares that somebody you don't know played the easy version of Dark Souls or whatever? (I'm convinced a non-zero portion of people who froth over this are insecure about the fact that they'd totally play on easy mode if given the option.)
https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1114246333005795330

This guy obviously felt insecure in that he beat the game with cheats, and had to broadcast that fact to everyone. He could have just mentioned in passing, or just not brought it up at all, but...:shrug:

John Murdoch posted:

Also I don't think there's a one-size-fits-all approach to difficulty, but...

1) Gatekeeping idiots default to a definition of "easy mode" that encompasses the worst possible implementation they can think of. Because obviously giant-brained 8000 IQ geniuses Fromsoft, blessed be their name, would take the laziest, cheapest option when it came to crafting an easy mode, thereby ruining the game forever.

3) There's an infinite number of things you could tweak to make a game as involved as those in From's catalog easier. As a point of comparison, Platinum Games, who also have a reputation for making hard games, manage to have a full compliment of difficulty modes that tweak all kinds of factors beyond basic health and damage values. To say a game like Dark Souls simply can't be any more accessible than it already is is a total failure of imagination.

But there's the key issue: you could put in an easy mode for Dark Souls, but how would you do it properly?

In this review of Dawn of War: Dark Crusade, there's a comment in about how the game included a difficulty mode absent from the previous games.

ThunderPsyker posted:

"Oh thank god, there's an easy difficulty. Don't get me wrong, Winter Assault's challenge was one of it's strongest points, and added a lot of the experience, but it's nice to have an option to take things easy."

However, later in the review, he states:

ThunderPsyker posted:

"The campaign isn't without its problems though. While a lot of skirmish matches can be beaten in as little as five minutes, stronghold missions can take hours, which is a pretty jarring shift. Easy difficulty is one of those 'bad' kinds of difficulty modifiers, where instead of using the Easy AI, which has always been in Dawn of War's skirmish mode, Easy mode gives your units over double their base health, and reduces the enemy's health down to a quarter. Look at this poo poo! This is ridiculous! I'm outgunning the Tau as Orks! I'm steamrolling Space Marines with two squads of Guardsmen, and I don't think I even lost a single member, let alone unit, after two hour worth of matches on this mode."

"This is so frustrating to me when I'm trying to recommend it, as I can't tell a newcomer to RTS to just play on Easy mode, because even Easy difficulty needs to have some challenge in it, otherwise people will just walk alway from the game unfulfilled and unsatisfied."

So how do you make an easy mode for Dark Souls, but still retain the core of the experience? Tweaking enemy health values/damage output doesn't seem like the solution. Hell, that's already in the game as it is, with enemies getting more HP (and more souls) on NG+ (I suppose you could say that means all Soulsborne games start on Easy Difficulty, but I jest).

Here's something I thought of: A couple of years back, I got 100% completion in Bloodborne. One of the requirements for getting 100% completion is acquiring all the various weapons in the game. However, in the course of getting the trophy, I only ever actually used a couple of those weapons.

One of the big appeals with Soulsborne games is the myriad weapons you can wield, and builds you can make. However, the biggest issue I’ve always struggled with in this regard is settling on something. I might find a weapon that has a moveset I really take to, but I’m not sure whether or not I should spend upgrade materials on it, in fear that I might find something else later down the road that works better. Alternatively, I might find a really cool weapon that seems really cool, but because of how my stats are allocated, I can’t use it properly. That’s not even getting into the issues of the upgrade paths…

I never ended up using weapons in Bloodborne like the Chikage or Logarius’ Wheel, because they required you to level other stats that the other weapons didn’t rely on in order to use them effectively. It was something that seemed suited to a 2nd playthrough, where you build is more planned out. However, that raises another issue: a lot of the weapons you don’t acquire until partway through the game, so you’d have to distribute your stats

What I think would be fun, though, is if there was an option to add a mode where you could start the game with access of all the weapons, and have a way to adjust your stats and the NG+ level to your liking, so you could play through and really have fun and experiment with things. Would that constitute as an ‘easy mode’? Perhaps, but the idea behind it is more so giving the player a kind of practice mode or debug mode to try things out to their leisure. Say you want to fight Lady Maria again with a different weapon, but you don’t want to restart and goes through all the previous areas to get to that point again. A mode where you could instantly respawn bosses would work well for that.

In execution, it can be seen as an ‘easy mode’, but it’s also something that can be utilized by skilled players to test themselves, or experiment with builds that they want to try for PvP.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

Platinum Games doesn't make games where the story is intrinsically tied to the difficulty. They are fundamentally about challenging yourself to beat the game as stylishly as possible - success is the expected outcome and the "diffculty" is how cool you looked doing it. From Software games (the soulsy ones at least) are about beating the game, by the skin of your teeth. Dark Souls has a health bar - Platinum games have a style meter. They are going for completely different experiences.

Difference between Souls and Bayonetta/Devil May Cry is that in Souls, when you beat a boss, the game just says, "VICTORY ACHIEVED". In Bayonetta/Devil May Cry, after you finally manage to beat a tough boss, the game proceed to squash the small success you made by grading you performance. "Got hit five times, used four items. E Rank performance; very poor."

Mind you, I'm not putting that forth as an issue with Bayo/DMC, that's more of personal annoyance.

Dias posted:

Bayonetta literally has a mode where you can play it with one hand.

Floodkiller posted:

I mean, halfcoordinated regularly destroys games with one hand that I gently caress up a bunch with two.

AbleGamers did name Bayonetta 2 as the Accessible Mainstream Game of the Year.

Then again, the one-handed mode might have been originally intended for, uh...something else.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 23, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

Part of my thesis is that maybe From, a developer who clearly knows a thing or two about difficulty and often employs unorthodox design, might have some cool ideas for an easy mode that can retain the core experience.

In that case, we just have to wait and see if FromSoft decide to implement an easy mode in their next project, and see how it fares.

John Murdoch posted:

Which statement would get more heat on Twitter - "hey guys I made a Dark Souls lore video" or "I think Dark Souls should have a Story Mode"?

"Can't believe this idiot is saying he made a Dark Souls lore video. What an rear end in a top hat. #gitgame"

What's the difference between having a 'story mode' for Dark Souls (a game where most of the 'story' is told via item descriptions and characters who only have a few lines of dialog), or just saving your money and watching playthroughs and lore videos online to understand the story instead of buying the game?

Something that springs to mind is when the Enhanced Editions of Icewind Dale and Baldur’s Gate came out, they included a ‘Story Mode’, that allowed the player to run through the game with boosted stats and no risk of dying. I started the BG series a few years before the EEs came out, and I struggled to figure out the game, so you think Story Mode would have been really appealing to me, but I didn’t really see the point in it. The Infinity Engine games were prided for how they replicated the combat of 2e D&D, and the myriad options you had in classes, spells, and party members. I struggled to get through the game on Normal difficulty, and so it amazes me that people modded the game to be even harder.

A story mode, to me, seems to gut out the core of the game. What you're left with is a game where you just shuffle your party from one end of the map to the other to exchange dialog, and combat is just something you have to sit through. I understand it more in something like Baldur's Gate, but Icewind Dale isn't as story-heavy, and focuses more on the encounters. Plus, a lot of the dialog options aren't as impactful on what happens in the game like they are in later Bioware games. It's like, why would you play an RPG, but not actually play the RPG?

The one IE game where I though a 'Story Mode' would be warranted was Planescape Torment, where the writing is the highlight of the game, but the combat is generally considered to be subpar compared to other IE games. Yet, much to my chagrin, Planescape Torment EE is the one game that does not have a 'Story Mode'.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Volte posted:

It's because your singular reason for playing a game seems to be the challenge and the challenge alone, and some people play games for other reasons. Some people play games just to exist in a space, control a character, play out a particular sequence of events, try to gently caress around with the mechanics, hear a story, see some numbers go up, or any other reason. My video games are my toys and I play with them how I see fit, just like if it was a Hot Wheels set or something. If someone told me I had to play Hot Wheels the right way or I'm not getting the core experience, I'd whack them with a piece of track.

Well, that's kind of what I was getting at with my debug/practice mode thing with Bloodborne. I thought it would be fun to have all the weapons and freely adjustable stats at the beginning, so you could play around with some of the other weapons in the game that you might otherwise not use because of how you built your character. When you get right down to it, I wouldn't necessarily mind an Easy Mode in Dark Souls, because while I enjoy the challenge, there are times where I'd like it'd to be more lax and laidback.

I remember someone saying that Will Wright didn't consider SimCity or other similar Maxis products as 'games', but rather 'software toys', and that makes sense. You don't always have a goal in something like SimCity or the Sims; rather, you're given a sandbox to mess around with things to see what works and what doesn't. It's why one of the more enjoyable things is when you try to build and city, and it going bad, you can just unleash a tornado to destroy it.

My point wasn't to say that challenge is paramount. There's still a lot of games I play on Easy difficulty because I know I'd struggle with them otherwise. I'm trying to complete a Total Warhamer 2 campaign on Easy difficulty, and even now I still feel like I'm doing poorly.

Going back to Platinum games like Bayo/DMC, when said games come up in conversation, I say that I'm interested in them, but always do really poorly. One of the things I was told is that those games are built around the idea that you play through them multiple times and master the movement and combos. DMC5 (which I've not played yet) has a mode where you can enable easy combos, and so I think maybe I should toggle that on to give myself an easier time. At the same time, though, I think it would be a bad idea, because I'd also like to play the previous games in the series, where there is (to my knowledge) no option to do that.

I ask myself, "Is my problem that I like this game, but would prefer it was easier; or is my problem that I want to game to be easier so that I can finish it." In the case of the latter, I wonder if the issue is that I just don't care for the game, and I just want to strike it out of my backlog. I could turn on Easy Mode or use cheats (assuming there's an option for either), but I feel remiss in doing so, because if someone comes along and asks what I thought of the game, I feel like I can't give an accurate appraisal.

John Murdoch posted:

While it sounds like the execution of those Infinity engine game Story Modes maybe isn't the best, I bet a lot of people still cherish them regardless because they are vastly more invested in the characters and world of those games than they ever were old, crappy D&D mechanics. Or maybe they last played the games when they were 10 and had all the time in the world to puzzle out how the gently caress THAC0 worked and nowadays that isn't something they care to worry about, they just want to hang out with *checks notes* Minsc and Imoen. See also: The number of people who still praise Mass Effect 1's story but simultaneously never want to play it again.

I mean, when I went to complain about my issues with Baldur's Gate, someone pointed out that my issues lied more with 2e D&D than the game itself.

Volte posted:

Counterpoint: I played Mario 1 from start to finish without warps for the first time since I was a little kid when NES Online came out, because I could just rewind if I died. It was fun, I played the whole thing in like an hour, and I would never have done that if rewind wasn't an option. I'm not saying that I couldn't have done it, or that I'm physically incapable of it. I just...wouldn't have done it. Jumping on Goombas and running fast is fun, shooting fireballs is fun. I really struggle to understand the mindset that a game has to present you with real stakes and have tension and frustration in order to be fun (or even be considered a game at all). Hell, I even find it fun to turn on God Mode and run around in Doom 2 blasting enemies. It's still fun to try to kill things while running as fast as possible. I also like to play on no-saves Ultraviolence when I want some real tension, but I mostly play video games to relax so usually I'm save scumming shamelessly and noclipping back up a ledge if I accidentally fall off and whatever.
I beat Super Mario Land a couple of months back using emulator save states, and I'm not ashamed of that (well, okay, maybe a little).

I've also played Doom with god mode and cheats on and enjoyed it, though it's usually when I'm trying out mods. When playing normally, I usually tend to play on 'Hey, Not Too Rough' or "Hurt Me Plenty' because 'Ultra-Violence' throws a lot more enemies at me than I like, but 'I'm Too Young to Die' doesn't throw enough.

ymgve posted:

Capra Demon is easy once you get rid of the dogs. But getting rid of the dogs is hard.

:yeah:

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 23, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

"Don't give up, essayist!"

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

guys, i'm stuck on frank herbert's description of the golden path - it just seems no matter what i do halfway through the paragraph the text explodes and i have to restart from the previous page. is there like a trick to this prose? don't just tell me to red gud because that's not loving helpful and i've already completed gormenghast so i know it's not just me.

What edition are you reading? That's not a design choice, but a formatting flaw that was common in the 1984 Berkley printing. The 1999 Ace printing addressed that problem, but you might not like the 'enhanced' typesetting they used.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I started replaying DS1 a couple of weeks back, and I got caught up on the Bell Gargoyles boss. The most frustrating thing about that fight isn't necessarily the fight itself, but that if you die, you have to make your way back through the Undead Parish again to give it another try. Doing that isn't hard, but it get tedious. You want to jump right back into it, but you've got to make the trek back, and in doing and you sort of lose the 'rhythm' you had going in trying to beat the boss.

That's another thing I really liked about Nioh. Often times, there'd be shrines (the game equivalent to the bonfire) that weren't that far from the boss arena, so if you died to the boss, it was just a short run back. There have been a couple of instance in Soulsborne where the respawn point is literally right outside the boss fog, like with Lady Maria in Bloodborne, or the Royal Rat Authority in DS2 (though the difference there is that the Lady Maria fight is totally awesome, and the Royal Rat Authority fight is awful).

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

ymgve posted:

There's an elevator that takes you directly from Firelink Shrine to below the gargoyles. It's still a short trek, but much better than going through the Parish every time.

You can also activate the bonfire near the blacksmith, which might or might not be quicker than doing the elevator route.

Oh no, I just meant dealing the Balder Knight and Hollows up on the second floor of the Parish proper; not the whole area. I was using the bonfire near the blacksmith.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

the problem with the supposition here is i think even die hard dark souls fans would be the first to point out that the “story and lore” parts of the games have been so phenomenally overblown by youtube clickbait enthusiasts and the like. you can pick up all the nuances of the story by reading a wiki page, beating the bosses is the nitty gritty of the “game” part of the game. it’s a failing on the part of the general zeitgeist that people who can’t beat the bosses feel like they’re missing out on something unique and inscrutable: you’re not. you’re only missing out on “oh this boss is hard to beat and i beat him, and i guess there’s an item description here that reveals some backstory about him?”

I got 100% in Bloodborne, but I didn't pay that close attention to the story, so I can't tell you why that one guy had a birdcage on his head, or why he couldn't settle on a pronunciation.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 24, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

KazigluBey posted:

We live in a cultural post-scarcity, he's not wrong. :shrug: I really enjoyed watching a friend play Football Manager and kinda' wanted to have a go myself, but that thing is basically an insane spreadsheet simulator and I bounced right off. If making a more accessible mode was realistic and didn't drain resources from the main game getting fully featured, I'd be all for it. But if the devs have decided that their time and effort is best spent elsewhere, that's not really a bother for me. I've got plenty of other games I can play, and they're games, it's not the end of the world if I miss one every now and again.

Same, but replace 'Football Manger' with 'Europa Universalis IV' (or any of the Paradox grand strategy games, really).

flatluigi posted:

I think insisting that the series has literally nothing going for it other than difficulty is both disingenuous and easily disprovable and it's not like anyone's going to be dumb enough to fall for that argument if they're already interested enough to want to play it

Again, I think the difficulty of Soulsborne is over-exaggerated. I think a bigger appeal of the games is the way movement and combat works, where everything feels very weighty, and your choice of weapon isn't purely what does the best damage, but what moveset you find you take to the most.

Summoning has been brought up, and while summoning works as way to help you get past bosses, there's also a great satisfaction you get when you get summoned into someone's world, and help them past a tough boss. With that, it's less about, 'gitting gud', and more 'jolly cooperation!'

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

difficulty sure seems to be a

difficult

subject

:rimshot:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Two hours into Dynasty Warriors 9 and I still like it but man is it weirdly budget. Like even for a Dynasty Warriors game it is extremely weirdly budget. Castle design, open world place design, etc. At least combat is fun and the photo mode is baller. I gotta play with it more:

I keep meaning to give DW9 a try, since it's got a trial version. Hearing that it has a photo mode makes me think maybe I should try it this weekend.

Are there any other games that have photo modes that are worth checking out?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Question for the thread: I'm thinking about picking up Shadow of the Tomb Raider Definitive Edition (since it comes with all the DLC while also being slightly cheaper than buying the game alone), along with one of the Final Fantasy games. I have it narrowed down to three, but I'm not sure which to get:

• Final Fantasy X I played back on PS2. I never finished it (I think the only FF game I've ever actually finished is FF1), but I remember making it about half-way/three-fifths of the way through. I don't really recall that much about it in terms to how it played. X-2 I never played, and the only things I know about it in regards to gameplay is that it has the dress sphere system and getting 100% required you to talk to exhaust dialog with everyone in the game.

• Final Fantasy XII I played very briefly, but never made any major progress in. However, I feel like I never gave it a fair shot. The only thing I really remember from it was that there some dumb thing where to get one of the super-powerful endgame weapons, you had to make sure not to open certain chests scattered throughout the game (I remember reading Zodiac Age removed that). I also remember that the game has a secret super-boss that has like 15 million HP. I asked about it over in the RPG thread, and was warned away from it, but the descriptions here make it sound like the Zodiac version is worth checking out. One of the big draws of it for me was that it was directed by the same guy (Yasumi Matsuno) who worked on stuff like Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre, and Vagrant Story, and that it tried for the same kind 'medieval-era wartime drama & political intrigue' type of plot, and that plot is still there, but it's bogged down by Square Enix mandating that they had to have a 'teenagers who want to be sky pirates' to appeal to Akihabara teens or something (might be mixing that up with Nier).

• Final Fantasy XV I've not played, and know nothing about except the joke of 'boy band goes on a roadtrip'. Apart from that, I know there some prequel film that gives some backstory (dunno if it's required viewing), there's a giant turtle boss in the desert, and that the game has some character model replacement mods that are funny.

EDIT: I suppose there's also World of Final Fantasy, too, but I don't know anything about that, other than than you visit various FF games, where all the characters are cute chibi versions of themselves.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 1, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Bruceski posted:

If you don't like FF12, TZA will not make you like it. The classes are a big change if your issue was making everyone able to do everything and you want/need the forced specialization, the fast-forward button is a great QoL addition, other than that it's still FF12 with a couple of tweaks that won't matter unless you were used to farming rare steals to jump the power curve.

If someone was choosing which to get, TZA hands down. If they have the PS2 version and the change to classes doesn't make them say "I want that", stick with what they've got.

Well that's the thing: it's been so long since I've played FF12 that I don't remember that much about it, and I can't recall why I stopped playing it. It could have been that I was just burned out on Final Fantasy in general at that point. Having watched a bit of stream of it, I think one issue I had was that combat was just sort of slow and awkward, but then I guess that's where the fast-forward button helps. I still want to give it another shot, but I think I might wait on picking it up.

I thought about X/X-2, since it's the cheapest of three ($14.99), and you get two games for that price, but... I dunno what it is, but X is the one FF game I'm the least interested in revisiting. It's not because I think it's bad, but there's something about it that doesn't grab me as much. I dunno if it's the story/setting, or if there was something about the game itself. Before FF13 took the crown of JRPG Railroading, I remember FFX had you on a tight leash before letting you go back and explore previous areas (at least I think it let you do that.) It could be that I know all the plot beats from FFX and X-2's from having watched a video recap of it at some point, and I don't remember a lot about the side content.

At the moment, I find myself leaning towards FF15, since it's the one I know nothing about, but the Steam reviews mention there being some issues with the port (one review mentions issues with frametimes and controls locking up), and brought up how the game's DLC got cancelled, leaving some of the story threads unresolved. That said, it still sounds like the game is pretty solid.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

FFXV’s PC port is a bit jacked from them jamming Steam workshop into it, if it’s an option, buy it somewhere else.

Do you mean buy it from Origin or something, or buy it on something like PS4?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Bloodplay it again posted:

You can also use Steam's console to download an older version without the occasional hitching, but you lose access to Episode Ardyn, Terra Battle, and FF14 crossover events. I would recommend going that route and then updating towards the end to play Ardyn and crossover content. You can't downgrade saves, though, so if you start on the newest patch, you have to start a new save for the older version. I don't have a link but there are guides on Steam if anyone is interested.

I think I might go that route, since it doesn't seem to go on sale on Origin or Microsoft for as cheap as it does on Steam. Alternatively, I could pick up the PS4 version, too.

exquisite tea posted:

It's on PC Gamepass.

Mierenneuker posted:

It’s on Game Pass if you have Win10 and are unsure about it.

Apparently the stories for the cancelled DLC got turned into a novel and it verges from the actual finale quite a bit. It’s not like the DLC that did get released, which clearly belongs with that rushed second half of the game.
I have Windows, 10, and it looks interesting, but similar to MMOs, I'm skeptical as to paying a monthly fee. I always feel if I don't put enough time into a game or service during the month, then the money's going to waste. I'm also a little wary of it being through Microsoft, because I worry it might be like GFWL. :shudder:

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 1, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

The Locator posted:

Given how much any decent entertainment costs these days, I figure if I get 10 or so hours of good quality entertainment value out of "software x" that costs me $15/mo then it's at least as good of a value or probably better than going to a couple of movies.

Of course if there is a 'full price' purchase in addition to the subscription, then the number of hours goes up, but I still measure what value I get out of my money based on how many hours of play per dollar I get, and in general unless something is really a horrible dud, that means PC games generally come out ahead compared to pretty much any other form of entertainment that I have to pay money for.

For me, it's just I tend to very sporadic in regards to what games I want to play, and when I want to play them. Often times, I don't feel up to playing a game, either because I'm tired from work, there's other games I want to play, other things I want/need to do, or I'm just not in the mood (been kind of down this weekend, for whatever reason:smith:).

I prefer having a permanent copy, because I just have to pay for it once, and can complete it at whatever pace I want. With a subscription service, I feel like I need to put so much time into it per month for it to be cost-effective, and that makes it feel like a commitment.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

dmboogie posted:

i will always remember this trailer just because of its absolutely inspired musical choice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGmmXd8r4YQ

and also for apparently being better than the actual game lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug_gqH1tzPk

Nordick posted:

Just give us a good modern remake of Chaos Gate, please God

:yeah:

-

Anything in the Visual Novel sale worth checking out in particular? I'm thinking about getting AI Somnium, but I dunno if there's anything else of interest. Someone mentioned 428 Shibuya Scramble, and I'm thinking about doing that over AI Somnium, only because AI Somnium still seems a little on the expensive side.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 4, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

BabyRyoga posted:

To reiterate,

Baldr Sky, Aokana, The House in Fata Morgana are all extreme top tier VNs that are fairly new to Steam. I guess Fata Morgana has been around for a few years, but I don't think the other two have.

I remember Fata Morgana being recommended before.

Baldr Sky looks interesting in that it's mixed with an action game with mechs.

Aokana looks...eh? :shrug: Doesn't really pique my interest (summary makes it sound like it's about world where they invent shoes that let you fly, and there's some competition), but it doesn't look bad, and the reviews for it seem pretty positive.

On another note, how long has Nightshade been for sale on Steam? And how does it qualify as an otome game?

(It doesn't seem to be up there anymore, but it was for a short while.)

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 4, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I don't know what depresses me more: that Koei-Tecmo games are so expensive, that so many of the newer games seem to be in a poor state (reviews for them seem to tend to be in the negative), or that many of the older games are not in English.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Gorilla Radio posted:

How anime is Atelier Ryza? I got a deployment coming up in the near future and am looking for time burners. But not if they're pedobait/weebo-masturbatory.

There was a write-up/summary on the various Atelier games over in the RPG thread that got cross-posted into this thread a month or two back, and it piqued my interest in the games. I asked about it in that thread, and I picked up one of the games. I haven't had a chance to start it yet, but they were described pretty chill, cutesy RPGs with item crafting.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Did the Mega Man Legacy Collection always have a rewind feature? I decided to start it up again after having ignored it for a year or so, and I found I could rewind by hitting the RB shoulder button on my controller. Did it get an update at some point?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Anything in the Just Drive bundle that's worth getting?

Additionally, I thought about picking up the Stardock bundle for Fences and some of the other programs, but I wanted to ask if there are any issues with the software first (half of the programs are just visual effects stuff, so I didn't know if it caused performance issues or anything).

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 31, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Nyaa posted:

Fence works fine. It does add a second or two to the window startup time to run itself and drag all the icons into the box. It's great if you are a disorganized icon hoarder and/or need more than a hundred icons on your desktop.

Is there anything else in the bundle that's worth trying out? Spacemonger seems like it work like a good alternative to WinDirStat.

Hub Cat posted:

Hi, this is your whatever reminder to not give Brad Wardell money, he is a terrible employer and a terrible human being just slide that Stardock slider to the left if you buy this bundle.

No need to remind me.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Hub Cat posted:

If you're using WinDirStat you should check out WizTree, it's much faster.

:drat:, it is fast! Thanks for the recommendation.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Happy to see Sea of Thieves is coming to Steam. I was always sort of passively interested, as I had the notion you could just sail the seas in your ship and just relax for a while.

threelemmings posted:

One caveat: we played sea of thieves on gamepass for PC for a bit and as far as I could find there is no FOV adjustment. My wife could not play it at all and even I had a few moments where turning too quickly made me feel a bit nauseated, and I've never gotten motion sick playing games before. I can only guess their settings are made for consoles playing on a tv because I was able to get around it by playing from a recliner set back from the computer monitor. But if you are at all sensitive to that in FPS games I'd be a bit careful.

Did you try looking to see if there was a config file? Usually when there are no options to change the FOV in-game, you can do via altering values in a config file. Then again, depending on how the game is set up, there might not be a config file available to change.

EDIT: After a quick search, it looks like they may have patched in an FOV slider at some point.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 2, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Dias posted:

Capitalism 2 has joined Chess 2 in my personal list of funniest videogame names.

I want to see this list.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Humble Bundle is having a sale on Paradox DLC, so I decided to activate the keys for CK2 and EU4 that I got from previous bundles so I could sort out whatever DLCs I didn't have.

What odd though, is that when I go to look at the DLC list on the store pages for both games, there's no mark next to new ones I've activated.

When I go to the individals pages for ones I've just activated like Sunset Invasion or Jade Empire, it states that it's in my library, but not on that list. Is it a cache issue? I tried exiting Steam, and logging back in, but that didn't seem to do it.

EDIT: Yeah, I think it was cache issue. I ran CCleaner and cleaned out the Steam section, and after opening Steam again, the DLC list was marked with all the new entries.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 21, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So after having dropped it for like two years, I picked up Shadow Warrior 2 again, and marathoned through the rest of it, and it's...okay?

When I first played it, I bounced off it somewhat, because while the weapons were an improvement over SW2013, it was bogged down by the gem system, and having finished the game, I realize that's its biggest flaw; the interface for the gem system is so cumbersome. Switching gems around is frustrating because you need to back out to compare the current stats versus what they are with a gem, and the game dumps so many gems on you, it's virtually impossible to figure what you just picked up. It kills the flow of the game.

Combat gets pretty chaotic, and some fights descend into you just mashing the attack button with your melee weapon until whatever is in front of you cut to ribbons. It can be pretty cathartic, but visually, the screen turns into a huge mess attack effects. Some of the issues with the combat are my own fault, because I didn't regularly change gems, and I neglected to spend skill points when I got them. That said, I played through on Normal difficulty, and while I don't think I ever died (save maybe one or two times I don't recall), so it wasn't a matter of the game being too difficult, it was just things not clicking as well as they could have been because of me ignoring the upgrades. (Ex. there are skills you can get to boost your elemental damage output, and while I did dedicate certain weapon to put out elemental damage, I could have dumped more points into those skills.)

Storywise, it's...odd. I fully admit that I barely remember that much of the story in SW2013, but as I remember someone else pointing out, SW2 feels like there was some interquel between SW2013 and SW2 that we weren't privy to. Some of the dialog and quest objectives make it seem like the game was laid out differently, but was overhauled during development. It wasn't until I looked up a synopsis of SW2013 that I realized that the demon characters you meet (Ameonna, Xing, Mezu, Gozu) were characters that were featured in the illustrated flashbacks in SW2013. SW2 treats it like Wang had some more interaction after what happened in SW2013, but it could just be that I don't remember. Tonally, the characterizations are very disparate between the two games, but the more irreverent style in SW2 was entertaining; still, it might have worked better if it had been new characters, rather than ones returning from the previous game.

Visually speaking, it's a very nice looking game. I hate that it has a photo mode, because it means I had to stop every five minutes and fiddle with contrast and SSAO settings take super-resolution screenshots. The only environment that I think was really bad were the Zilla City areas, which can be an eyesore in certain areas with the eight-thousand hologram flora and signage.

I dunno; as an FPS-ARPG hybrid, it does okay, but I feel like it needed more polish or tweaking for it to work better.

Fake Edit: I wonder if I should post this as an actual Steam review.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition is on sale. Is it good?

Is the story good? I've heard the main story isn't worth playing but that the Shadows of Undrentide module is really cool.

Is actually playing it an exercise in frustration where you spend more time fighting the UI than the monsters?

I have been trying to get into playing Neverwinter Nights. I've played it on-and-off during the last couple of weeks. I don't know how I feel about it at this point. I don't find the UI bad. It's more focused on controlling a single character rather than a party (because of the multiplayer focus), so if you're used to handling gear and stats with a party in the IE games (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale), that takes a little getting used to.

I've also been told that the main campaign should be skipped, and you show proceed directly to Shadows of Undrentide. Once you finish that, you're able to import that character over to Hordes of the Underdark. I abandoned my attempt to play the main campaign and skipped to Undrentide , but I haven't gotten very far in it. I'm told it gets better after the first dungeon. Another thing is that you can have an actual party in the expansions, which you can't do in the main campaign.

The community created content is where a lot of the good content can be found. I haven't gotten that far yet, but I've heard the Aielund Saga TC is pretty good. There's also overhauls like the Player Resource Consortium, which makes the game closer to the tabletop. I bought NWN:EE on GOG, but through Steam, you've got the Workshop, which takes out some of the hassle out of installing mods.

I've been fielding questions about it over in the Infinity Engine thread, so you might want to ask there for some more info.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So since I couldn't sleep this morning, I got up early and I marathoned through Bioshock 2.

I've heard a lot of people praise Bioshock 2, and while I thought the writing/dialog was pretty good, the gameplay is kind of hit-and-miss. However, in saying that, I think the issue isn't solely with Bioshock 2, but maybe with the original as well.

It's been a long time since I've played Bioshock 1, but I think I played it on Easy back then. With Bioshock 2, I played on Medium, and had a bit of a rougher time, though some of it lies with some issues I have with how combat works. Some of the weapons don't really feel like they have an impact, and it seems like you've got to dump a lot of ammo into an enemy (especially the larger ones) before they go down. Some of the issues are probably my fault, since I didn't opt for every single ADAM upgrade I could, and I ignored some of the powers outright (Scout, Decoy, Wind Trap), but I was skeptical about how useful some of the abilities would be. Thing is, I remember having this same issue with Bioshock 1, where I was hesitant to upgrade my abilities.

Some of the issue could have been how I approached situations. I might have had an easier time if I had been more methodical and made more use of of some of the different ammo types (trap rivets and spears to lure enemies). However, the weapon system is one of my biggest complaints. It felt really clumsy switching between weapons and plasmids in the midst of a fight, especially when you've got bigger enemies charging you, and you run out of ammo or EVE. It doesn't help that the weapons are mapped in the order of which you collect them, so I kept messing up by hitting the key for the remote hacking tool when I meant to pull up the machine gun. :argh:

It dropped off a bit around the the midway point, but picked up again towards the end. I did think it got pretty goofy towards the end. I remember people complained about the last portion of Bioshock 1 and how schmaltzy the good ending. In, Bioshock 2, though, you get knocked out by the villain because your life is tied to your daughter's heartbeat, so she suffocates you daughter until she passes out. Then your daughter sends a Little Sister to give you some injection that lets you possess her so you can gather the parts so you daughter can become a Big Sister and free you. From there, she gives you a Plasmid that lets you summon her to fight alongside you, where she attacks enemies and spouts taunts. Once you get through the last portion and get to the surface, it ends with her absorbing you into her head. I mean, I still enjoyed it, but it did get a little ridiculous.

I also played through Minvera's Den, which I actually thought was setup up a bit better. The ion cannon is cool, and having the upgraded weapon just be scattered throughout the map I like better than the upgrade stations. The story had a pretty good twist, and it tugs on my heartstrings more than the main game did. Admittedly, I was getting really burned out by that point, so that might be why my praise of it isn't higher.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The combat in Bioshock 2 is a lot better and more responsive than the original, to the point that you could only have a weapon or plasmid out at the same time, not both. So if you found it clunky in Bioshock 2 then a replay of the original would be insufferable for you.

That's right, I think I remember that. Again, I think maybe the issue was just that I played Bioshock 1 on Easy, and I played Bioshock 2 on Medium. I remember going through BS1 without dying (or at least not dying very often), so maybe I was just caught off guard by the difficulty. In marathoning through it, I also may have rushed a bit, so that might have been an issue too.

Still, I think the guns felt weak, and the new larger enemies were a bit more difficult to deal with. There was a loading screen tip that mentioned you could interrupt the larger enemies charge attack with melee, but I don't think I ever got the timing right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Samuringa posted:

I played a bit of Shogun 2 and wow, that tutorial sucks poo poo! Here are some news units to the series, they do neat stuff. Now take that castle.

I did not take the castle.

My advice to you would be to check out YouTube for video tutorials or playthroughs for more information on how to play the game.

My personal recommendation is the channel Mr.Smart Donkey. He's done tons of playthroughs of Shogun 2 on Legendary with all the clans, as well as having done special challenge runs. He's also got some videos where he gives an overview of each clan, as well as the best/worst units in the game.