Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
The World is Your Weapon seems to be the secret gem of this sale. You can pick up and use anything as a weapon. Anything. Anything. So I picked up my neighbour's house and left them wallless.

Also, the new Gemcraft game will be coming out on January 10th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Now it's just dated by default. I wish they'd stop using Chromium for everything.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Gobbeldygook posted:

Yeah, Steam Achievement Manager exists. I doubt most people use it, but I bet a lot of people will bust it out for meme cheevos like that.

The cherry on top would be if there was an extra 5% discount for those who got the achievement legitimately.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
It flew a bit under the radar, but Valve revamped how they'll be offering soundtracks going forward. In short, Soundtracks will be their own special product instead of DLC, so you won't even have to buy the associated game. Moreover, all the soundtracks will be located in a separate common folder instead of hidden inside each game's folder structure. Plus other quality-of-life improvements such as multiple formats, album data, a better music player.

EDIT: Also, Steam Lunar Sale is from January 23rd to 28th.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 8, 2020

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
OST talk will likely become a more regular thing in the thread. Steam Thread 2020: The Year of the OST

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

The Joe Man posted:

Someone should make a music thread.

A music thread always pops up when we start talking about OSTs and then it dies less than ten pages in. Let's see first what Valve does with the update on the 20th to figure out whether there's any reason to start yet another thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk4regQ-NeM

Catchy as hell, I'll have to check out more of the soundtrack.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 9, 2020

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Gemcraft: Frostborn Wrath is out!

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

C.M. Kruger posted:

The Logitech F310 is perfectly fine if you just need a basic controller but is cheap, wired, doesn't have rumble, and has a awful d-pad to rival the 360. After they bought out MadCatz I kinda expected them to do a "F310 Pro" refresh of the design but I guess not.

F710 is wireless, more hefty and has a completely different - and better - feel to it. I have both and they are like night and day.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Det_no posted:

Bakery Simulator is going to be so good.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SIGQSgifs6s

I watched this and I still have no idea whether this is a video about an actual research paper or a tongue-in-cheek ad for a baking game. It's the former, of course.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Slay the Spire now has a 4th character and got bumped to 2.0.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Kennel posted:

Anyone who buys this: don't skip Mr. Shifty. It's looks pretty generic but is really solid.

Seconding this. It's the perfect example of doing a lot with a little.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

END ME SCOOB posted:

I'm playing it. I think it's an interesting evolution of the last one in that it's got the same skill system from that game but now explicitly tells you "there are challenge modes from moment one that you have to learn to play better in, no grind will save you" and the puzzle pieces are an interesting way to gently caress with build or specialize for stages?

The gameplay seems the same to me except much more in the vein of a mechanics puzzle because of the Trial stages and that is the kind of thing I wish more games did. I loving love them.

I'm in the same boat here. While I appreciate getting more powerful as time goes on, TDs for me are about solving the puzzles and Trial mode does me solid here.

You could say it's a bit like Enter the Gungeon on release. If you don't relish the challenge, you might not have a good time here.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jan 19, 2020

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Gamers: Can you make Half-life: Three already?
Gabe: Ok, let's make Half-life free.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
The Lunar New Year Sale starts in a few hours, so if you're itching for something new to fill your ever-growing backlog with, it might be prudent to hold out just a little bit.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Too Shy Guy posted:

So during the Winter Sale, Valve introduced animated chat stickers and effects, but stuck an expiration date on all of them. People rightfully pointed out that was loving stupid, and Valve removed the expirations.

Now during the Lunar Sale, Valve introduced animated profile backgrounds and mini-backgrounds, and stuck an expiration date on all of them.

:eng99:

The whole "emoji market" is such a greedy move on Valve's part. If they're going to make it a timed thing, they should just give it out for free and take it away in a month, nobody would complain.

On the other hand, the story snippets are cool.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Just wait until we get a Summer Gacha Sale.

Steam Thread 2020: All of this can be yours! For a limited time only!

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 23, 2020

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
I thought Shadow Warrior 2 would somehow continue past the aftermath of the first game, but it's as if the devs wanted to actively forget about everything that happened in the first game. When the game crashed, I never fired it up again.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Daniel Mullins, of Pony Island and The Hex fame, has a new game brewing. It looks a bit like Hand of Fate in a way.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
In case you needed even more anime injected directly into your veins, Azur Lane: Crosswave is coming out in a few days.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

odiv posted:

They give you a warning now and you can cancel (or pause) after the games of the month are revealed as opposed to before.

Don't sleep on the Trove either. There's some good poo poo in there. (A Short Hike is wholesome and fun!)

A Short Hike is the kind of game that comes out of nowhere and pulls you in. Don't skip out on it.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Besiege is finally coming out of Early Access. I remember this game being the talk of the town way back when and then things fizzled out.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

OutOfPrint posted:

Fanatical's bundle blast event is now live, with new bundles coming out fast. The latest as of this post has The Surge 1 as part of the $3.99 for the price of the bundle: https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/killer-bundle-12

The rest of the games aren't super great, but that's the lowest price I've seen for The Surge.

The bundle is nuts. Didn't think I'd see KoFXIV in a bundle any time soon.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Rolo posted:

I got my first computer mouse in over a decade and I think this will be my first game with it.

Better get a second one just in case, then, because this game is hard for a reason.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Shipbreaker looks like my jam, but it bothers me that the game will go into Early Access in Summer. So it's about half a year away? For Early Access?

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 19, 2020

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Pigbuster posted:

Holy crap World of Horror is out in 9 hours, aaaaaaaaa this snuck up on me so hard

https://store.steampowered.com/app/913740/WORLD_OF_HORROR/

It's coming out in in Early Access for 15 dollars. The game is content complete, it's just bug fixing, adding translations and adding some post-release content. There's actually a short demo on itch.io if you'd like to give it a try.

Also Taur looks like neat. Has anyone jumped on it already?

I've been playing Project Warlock lately, and I have to admit the game gets better and better the more you play it. Sure, it'll probably not have the longevity of DOOM, but if you wanted to shoot some monsters, you'll get hooked on it. The moment to moment action is satisfying, and the levels fly by quickly. The only problem is that since the game does things slightly differently than other games of this type, it might feel weird playing it at first. I've beaten it and I'm now going through Hardcore - that's when the game really comes together into something memorable.

If I had known Distance had such a creepy campaign, I would have fired it up a long time ago. It also helps that the driving mechanics are excellent.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

It's cool you're spoiling a pivotal moment of the game just like that.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It means that you fight what it obviously telegraphed as a boss from the first half hour of the game at some point. That’s really about it.

How you fight it is a spoiler, though. It's kind of a big deal within the game. But if it convinces people to give the game a try, all the better - the whole mission is something else. Grab the DLC while you're at it because the extra missions are also peak Ace Combat which gives me great hope for AC8.

I gave Taur a try and while the idea for the tower defense is cool and the core mechanics are interesting, there's really not much else to it to justify the high price point. You will just very slowly build up your tower until the boss appears however many missions in and maybe you'll win, maybe not.

Imagine playing X-Morph and every mission is one wave long and you have to organize your defense in the middle of fighting. If you miscalculate or the enemies are surprisingly too strong, then you lose all the invested resources, so it'll be rather easy to get into a death spiral.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Too Shy Guy posted:

:intv: Platformebruary 2020: Ultimate Collector's Edition :intv:

21. Wings of Vi

It must be noted that Wings of Vi follows in the style of I Wanna Be The Guy platformers. There is, indeed, some slighy leeway when traversing, but you're still going to get destroyed every few seconds. Your enjoyment of the game will depend totally on whether you enjoy this type of challenge.

Otherwise, just watch a speedrun. There was a GDQ speedrun a few years ago and it was a really enjoyable watch.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
The one thing that is absolutely a waste of time are long splash screens. Every game should have a quick start function like in Enter the Gungeon where you can immediately load up your last save, unless you do cool things with your menu screens.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

StrixNebulosa posted:

Reaper Bundle 2 from Fanatical

STALKER 1-3
Jedi Knight 1+2
Day of Infamy
Eagle Island
Override
Sim City 4
Re-Legion

for 5$

worth it for the STALKERs alone

There's also a nice Arc-Sys bundle going on, too.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Mierenneuker posted:

Yakuza 0 is now on Game Pass.

You'd think I could finish it before the 3rd of March or will I get too wrapped up in its mini-games? I had a great 3 months with Game Pass but I should get around to the stuff I bought during the winter sale. And both Hitman seasons, holy poo poo I finally have a PC that can run it properly :monocle:

Yakuza 0 is the kind of game that you should just buy because it's very easy to get lost in all the myriad of things you can do in it. If you get pulled into Mahjongg, a whole week of your life will be gone just like that.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Too Shy Guy posted:

They also have a free companion game to STASIS called CAYNE, if you want a taste right now. I didn’t care for it but it could be worth a try.

If you're going to play CAYNE, it's better to have a walkthrough handy eventually. STASIS is the more refined game.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Barry Convex posted:

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills given its Overwhelmingly Positive rating on Steam, but A Hat in Time just hasn't quite clicked with me. It's extremely charming and the parts of it that work well are really fun, but there's something about the camera, checkpointing, and level design that feels off enough to make me want to play something else after completing the first two worlds (and part of the third).

I... may have enjoyed Yooka-Laylee (post-patch version) more, even with its considerable flaws. Maybe I'm just not in the 3D platformer mood right now, idk

It's cute and charming, but also incredibly disjointed once all is said and done.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

SirSamVimes posted:

XIV exists though

Andrast posted:

MMOs are trash

XIV is getting better and better storywise, the big battles are challenging and interesting, but when it comes to actual battle mechanics, you are trying to hit your rotation at all times, making fights with normal mobs dull as hell eventually. My advice is to just play it like a single-player game that sometimes teams you up with others and unsub when you're done with the story. If you have the latest expansion, they are nice enough to offer free weekends from time to time so you can catch up on the story - you'll run through the latest story beats in 3-4 hours tops, add twice that for other extra content that isn't crafting, housing, beast tribe-related.

When they revamp the beginning of the game later this year, you should give the game a try. It pays off in spades despite all the MMO trappings. There is a really good reason why Shadowbringers is praised to high heavens. Other expansions have been cool, too, it's not like you're playing through multiple games just to get to the good one.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

StrixNebulosa posted:

The trouble I've got with ffxiv posting is that it's such a huge investment of time and money so you cannot sell it to people casually. Like even if they try the free trial that's still a huge decision that they're going to have to make on their own. And then once people make the investment, there's no way to get them to regret it - sunken cost fallacy hits super super hard.

So saying "mmos are bad" is meaningless, and trying to convince people to play ffxiv is almost as meaningless.

Sadly, A Realm Reborn is now a relic of a time when Square was trying to salvage the sinking ship that was the reputation of the Final Fantasy franchise, not just the game itself. Things have improved considerably starting with the Heavensward expansion (it's nuts how the quality jumped up from this point forward), but it seems only now is the game shedding a lot of the grindier elements.

It is no joke that as the game is now, you'd need about 3 months of play time to get through ARR and the expansions. The revamp might cut that time down to about 2 months, ARR is just that long and most of it is somewhat filler-ish. The game has had its low points, there's no doubt about it, but it also has had its remarkably high points and the latter are becoming more and more numerous as time goes on. I just hope they'll be able to cut down on the time it takes to get to those coveted high points.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
My Friend Pedro, sadly, is more style over substance. Sure, you can actually do all those things in the trailers, but when you actually play it, it all feels so tedious...

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

The 7th Guest posted:

i wish underhero was better, the combat is just too slow

It speeds up later on in the sense that enemies become more demanding.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

K8.0 posted:

They made the UI trash and there's nothing you can do to fix it. Gotta love Valve's obsession with making the user experience worse!

I like how the entire Steam UI is still stuck at 1920x1080 or bust.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

The 7th Guest posted:

i dunno, i'm at world 3 and it hasn't felt any more exciting

i think if the stamina recharge was 50% faster but also enemies attacked more often, the combat would be a lot more engaging

instead it feels slower than Final Fantasy ATB

Then it's not going to wow any further in. I've enjoyed the game, but boy does it have problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Why would you play SiN nobody even liked it at the time.

I've played the demo back in the day and the interactivity was rather good. Then I've played the full version years later and the quality drops off as you go on.