Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Bruceski posted:

I picked up Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition in the sale and it automatically comes along with the basic edition. Is there any reason to install/play both or just some quirk?

No, absolutely not. Just play the new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Lawman 0 posted:

Looking forward to picking up mechwarrior 5 when it's released on steam and marked down $20 op

And hopefully fixed...

Started playing MW4:M though, game owns.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Talking of Hotline Miami, has Cactus been up to much since? And did any of those HM fangames ever come out? I remember one that looked impressive, seemed to be coming along and then it died due to to creator going goth or something.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Drinking owns.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'd actually recommend the original Doom. Even with autoaim turned off, and played like a modern shooter, enemies move and react slow enough, and display deliberate and clear attack animations to still make a good intro to the genre.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That's so common with indie poo poo. The people who made the Long War mods for XCOM are the first ones to come to mind. The trailer for their upcoming game is this to the tenth power, it almost looks like it's gonna be cool but then it keeps getting bigger, and bigger, and oh god there's so many icons on the side of the screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2rv1NvINMU
Forget about those icons, who thought that font treatment was a good idea?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Nordick posted:

I played Victor Vran for a bit, and the main thing I remember from it is that Doug Cockle made absolutely, utterly ZERO effort to not sound exactly like he does as Geralt of Rivia, which I found inexplicably hilarious

I'm not sure I've played anything he doesn't sound like Geralt in. He's in Spellforce 3 and sure enough...

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Their doing the dreamworks thing

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Ubisoft's making a new Might and Magic game!

It's a battle royale autochess

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The last one people actually liked was V, the Nival one, right?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I mean, I guess another question would be how many people torrented it in the first place?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Welp, guess I've got more time to finish Red Dead 2.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Nullset posted:

So is Doom Eternal the only big Spring release that hasn't been delayed at this point?

Don't jinx it bitch...

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cool. I mean, I don't really want to actually play it or anything, but cool.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Did you already play it on PS4? It was a goddamn blast, I really enjoyed it. Shooting bits off of robots was so satisfying. It was like Monster Hunter but fun.

No, I only own a PC (:smug:) but while the robomonsters looked cool, something about the rest of the world and its aesthetic seemed overly "artificial" to me. Plus I I remember reading that the the open world is a mechanically bog-standard, Ubisoft-affair.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Terminally Bored posted:

Brigador Killers is a 2020 game iirc.
Is it? I know it says 2020 on Steam, but I haven't heard much from that game in a while, and the dev posts on these forums.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

goferchan posted:

It absolutely is but the combat's at least trying to pull off some interesting stuff and redeemed it for me. I liked feeling like I actually needed to take advantage of laying traps and applying status effects and stuff on hard mode. I think it's a good buy at the $20 it's been on PS4 for a while , but I have no idea how they'll price it on steam
I dunno if they fixed it, but in the GB video I saw around release it looked like you could just sit in a bush the whole game, lure a robit closer and get an instakill stealth attack.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Don't get me wrong, Gerstmann absolutely embraces "degenerate" gameplay at the price of his own enjoyment, but it was something that put me off the game. That and, of course, the fact that I never would have expected it to come to PC.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I've got a 1070 and it can still run most games near-max at 1080p 60, with exceptions. Notably RDR2, though part of that might be my i5 processor. It's getting due for an upgrade/rebuild but I'm kinda waiting for the cards and CPUs that come out after the next wave of consoles.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

BexGu posted:

What throws it even more is you have consider resolution. For a long time 1080p was the end all be all but now pc user have to consider if they are going to stay at 1080p, move up 2k or hell go all in and play at 4k. I love my 1060 GTX but it's starting to get real long in the tooth once I got a 2k monitor.

2k and 1440 are the same thing, right?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

baka kaba posted:

like basically 2K and 4K are video production standards, they're a little wider than the closest resolutions we use in displays - 2K is 2048 x 1080, so that's almost what we call 1080p/i (officially it's called FHD), but it's not the same. UHD is what we call "4K", but it's different - you basically double the dimensions in each case, so real 4K is still that bit wider

except there's another UHD that's double that so they get called 4K UHD and 8K UHD lol

how much easier do you want it!

I like it when the video game graphics make things go boom :downs:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sylphosaurus posted:

I´ve been hankering for a new ARPG, since Diablo 3 has gone a bit stale for me and I´ve had my eyes on Path of Exile but got intimidated by the atlas that is the skilltree and the giant amount of features in the game.

Have you tried Grim Dawn yet?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Fart of Presto posted:

God dammit!

First Cyberpunk 2077 and now Dying Light 2 :(

https://twitter.com/TechlandGames/status/1219288610211614720

Least surprising news of the year.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jamfrost posted:

Sometimes, just giving yourself super speed is fun,
That's one way to admit you're a methhead.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Quoting myself with an update- put in for a refund after 15 minutes of play. My first opponent was some kind of tutorial/training fight, and he hit me with a critical on his first move and one-shot my dude. The game wasn't built around that happening, so it just kind of... stuck there. Had to quit out and said gently caress it. I know that it's early access but holy crap that's a dumb softlock.

Can't lie, that's hilarious.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Has anyone played early-access ARPG Wolcen? Hits 1.0 in a few weeks and it sure is flashy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FdEMGMxtco
The skill system sounds kinda like a more-approachable POE if I'm getting it right.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

DatonKallandor posted:

I played through the various pre-release versions a few times. It's really hard to tell how it'll end up when it comes out, because the devs make massive changes between versions. If they manage to actually finish what they've got, it'll be a really neat ARPG. But considering they've struggled with putting in stuff like loot filters over the course of several years, I'd except the UI and controls to be utter jank and that's kind of a problem, especially for this genre.

It does have some really great ideas when it comes to skills though, especially how they made regular left click auto-attacks an actual thing that you might want to do rather than something that you replace the first time you level and then ever use again for the rest of the game. And the boss fights are very good - enemy damage output for telegraphed attacks is very high, so it's got the kind of very active, dodge heavy playstyle that so many current ARPGs aim for, but because active dodge is built in by default it actually works. Not as well as it would if it was direct control rather than click to move, but certainly a lot better than stuff like PoE which is shoehorning that playstyle into a system that really isn't built around it.

Oh yeah, the fact that different weapons have different attack strings sounds cool. It looks like the devs are taking a few elements from character action games tbh. I *might* have played a very early build of it thanks to :filez: or there might have been a KS demo and I remember it being real janky, but the version I've seen in recent footage looks incredibly different.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Xaris posted:

lol

have any other devs talked about how it failed them?
There was a shareholder meeting a while back where the Metro publishers suggested they were disappointed with PC sales (tellingly, I don't think any of their games since have been Epic-only) and I think Control also undersold. Control was also one of the top-selling games on EGS last year, according to Epic themselves.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sounds like it's in a rough state judging by those reviews.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Artelier posted:

How's Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus? Still itching for a fast paced shooter with good gun feel, looking to charge in and shoot crazy things off. Loved The New Order but got tired of Old Blood pretty quickly, felt a bit too squishy there. But could just be because I played them back to back.
Meh.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Artelier posted:

How's Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus? Still itching for a fast paced shooter with good gun feel, looking to charge in and shoot crazy things off. Loved The New Order but got tired of Old Blood pretty quickly, felt a bit too squishy there. But could just be because I played them back to back.
OK, but for real, it's a decent enough FPS with atrociously boring level design that doesn't actually evolve much from the prior games. In fact, I think TOB is the best the series' actual gameplay has been. It's got a bunch of exciting cutscenes that earned it a bunch of awards but between TNO and TNC, DOOM 2016 and Shadow Warrior 2* came out, and since TNC, games like DUSK and Amid Evil happened. If you haven't played any of those games I mentioned then you should.

Oh, and if you're looking to charge in then TNC definitely won't fill that need since it's mostly hitscan enemies and your damage feedback is awful.

*SW2 has some pretty major problems but its combat is not one of them. :colbert:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Huh, looks like Torchlight Frontiers is now Torchlight III and no longer a F2P MMO.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo-KscmCsbk

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Nah, AE's more prog.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Played the demo for Book of Demons (I think I might have tried it before once, too) and I don't like it at all! :toot:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Deakul posted:

Boy howdy is Warcraft 3 Reforged not even remotely ready for release tomorrow if the beta is any indication.

Man, I've got my finger on the refund button if there's no day one patch that miraculously makes it run at anything above 5 fps.

Oh yeah? I thought it was literally just WC3 but with fancier models.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Edmond Dantes posted:

Do you need to save all crew members to get the good ending in Exodus? I managed to pull it off but yeah; at least LL's C'est la Vie is bittersweet, the bad ending for Exodus is just a loving downer.
What are you talking about? You and the obviously sane, reasonable commander get to ride your train to war against literal hell! :v:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Played the starting hour of Wolcen, but waiting for the full release to dig deeper. It's cool! It kind of mixes standard ARPG mechanics with very light character action ones, so the combat relies more on movement and timing than your Diablos and Paths of Exile. In fact, like that other dude a while back said, it really feels like a midpoint between the two, with a simpler version of the latter's skill tree and the former's flashier combat and overall look. Actually one thing I'm impressed by is its overall polish, considering its fairly small team and its original (admittedly now very old) kickstarter gameplay. On that note, it is clear that it's diverged greatly from its original pitch, no longer being an open-world game and seemingly having abandoned its ambitious environmental interactions. But, c'est la vie, still seems real promising if you just wann hack and slash!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

HopperUK posted:

I saw that video! Dude was very charming, I thought, I'm super excited too.

The weirdest thing about that video is that he said he doesn't actually cook

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Imo this gif demonstrates what I meant when I was talking about Wolcen's combat borrowing from CAGs.
https://twitter.com/WolcenGame/status/1223261498220347394

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

The 7th Guest posted:

M&KB only.... :hmmno: :nallears: :shitman: :wtchris:
Imagining playing any game on controller and thinking I might as well be dead