Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Last day of the Europa Universalis 4 humble bundle and I'm still unsure about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Azran posted:

I really like short, replayable games like Into the Breach, Dungeon of the Endless, FTL or Invisible Inc where you unlock more characters/equipment as you go on, but I haven't had much fun with traditional roguelikes (mostly because most of them have kinda ugly UIs and that's a major bummer for me). Anyway, I'm looking for recommendations. Any ideas?

Maybe Void Bastards?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

All of these fun and interesting games and I keep playing Farming Simulator 2019. I don't quite understand why I keep coming back to it but I gotta admit it is pretty fun and satisfying building up a farming empire. I also now know lots of useless information that I will never need to know in my life like what a windrower is.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Darkrenown posted:

How much does it explain what you need to be doing for non-farmers? I played some '17 and while it was pretty hilarious in MP due to it's janky physics (I can't really describe how funny it is to be workmanly delivering grain to a silo by sedately driving down a sheer cliff while on voice coms), it assumed we all knew exactly which farming tools we should be using for a given task, which could not have been further from the truth.

I never played '17 but there are some basic tutorials on how to work everything, and a fairly decent help system that even goes into specifics on certain types of crops. The massive quantity of equipment available is pretty intimidating, but once you play for a bit you start to realize that you can ignore most of it for 'basic farming' and pick up new things as you go. There's also a ton of tutorials and such, but I kept referencing a few posts I found on 'just tell me what's best to buy and what it does early'. I'd be willing to write up a stupid newbie non-farmer guide to starting if anyone was interested.

The janky physics can be half the fun. Last night I cut down a tree that was constantly getting in my way with a chainsaw and loaded it up into my grain trailer by hand. Parts of the tree were sticking out all over the place, and because I'm an idiot I took a sharp turn at high speed and tipped both my tractor and the grain trailer on its side spilling tree parts everywhere. I stayed in the tractor on its side and kind of curley shuffled it around in circles until somehow it got caught on the trailer and flipped back on its wheels, loaded it back up, and sold that tree at a sawmill for $3.5k.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Baller Time posted:

It ain't much, but it's honest work. *sprays pesticides on Monsanto crops, before proceeding to shred thousands of chicks*

If it gives me +10% yield I will shred any amount of chicks.

explosivo posted:

I stopped playing it but for a solid week there I was hooked on FS19 and all I was doing was growing fast fields of grass and making/selling bales out of it and that was oddly satisfying.

I literally just finished doing this. $250k worth of silage sold, time to buy a new horrifying looking instrument of death and maiming. As a plus, it might also help me cultivate my fields or something.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Just mentioning a Dead Rising boss gives me minor PTSD.

WEEEELLLLLLLLLL HE AINT MY BOY BUT THE BROTHA IS HEAVY

:psyduck:

(That is a pretty great song though)

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Is Kingdom Under Fire 2 any fun or just the normal Korean F2P type of game? I'm in the mood for an action RPG type of game and it looks somewhat interesting even though I'm really not a fan of gender locked classes.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

What I really feel like playing is an ARPG, but even though I own Diablo 3 I don't want to pay full price for the expansions and I missed the Grim Dawn sale by a few days. Since it's free I'm giving KOF2 a try... but so far the fetch quests are just the most basic mundane MMO thing ever. I haven't gotten to the RTS parts yet.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

StrixNebulosa posted:

You've played PoE, yeah?

I have not, but I kind of like the limiting structure of classes. Just looking at that PoE skill tree makes me feel anxious.

I miss Marvel Heroes.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

KUF2 is one of the most bizarre games I've played in a long long time. There are some things about it that are genuinely fun, but I've never seen a game lean so aggressively against its own strengths. Fighting in huge battles with your army spamming attacks 'dynasty warrior' style is fun, so lets spend the first 3 hours of the game making sure that almost never happens and take control away from the player half the time when it does. The MMO nonsense is almost parody level bad, with characters constantly giving you quests to 'go to so-and-so and tell them our plan' when so-and-so is literally standing right next to them. The story is complete gibberish, the voice acting is bad, the graphics aren't great, and the lip synching is non-existent so naturally the game forces an in-game cutscene on you about once every minute.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 23, 2020

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh no, lots of games for a genre I like, whatever will I do

Given how big 8 + Empires + 9 are, I will probably play them for a while, burn out, come back to them, burn out again, and never completely move on. Except maybe to reinstall Fate/Extella and keep whacking away at that. (boring combat but a batshit story)

God help me whenever they drop Dynasty Warriors 10 - I'm really, really invested in this specific region of China. Like, to the point that I've read over half of the novel and hopefully will read the other half this year.

You may want to look into Total War: Three Kingdoms.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Thanks for this!

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Kanfy posted:

Andrast pops in to tell everyone how much they hate MMOs practically every time one comes up, just roll with it.

I've been in the mood lately for an MMO-like game and the options are almost all either bad or the same ones that were around 5 years ago. FF14 seems to be the only one that is actively getting better rather than just sort of stagnating and fading away.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

StrixNebulosa posted:

If I want to pick up ARK the base game for 10$ and play it as a single player experience where I go around hunting dinos and making myself better clothes, how is it for that?

I tried it for that a few years ago and didn't like it. I'd recommend something like Subnautica or The Forest more for a single player survival kind of experience.

Maybe it's changed, but it seemed to be lacking in much of a point without having other clans to be at war with or whatever.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Orv posted:

Planetside 2 is rare in that - unless this has changed in the last year or so - the vast majority of its earned materiel is genuinely side grades instead of a climbing scale of power. Certs, which concern how class/attachment/vehicle stuff is unlocked do come in twice as fast with a subscription and you will be at a disadvantage in terms of options but someone with the starter guns can by and large kill anyone else.

Unfortunately Planteside 2's problems are considerably more structural and designed than any kind of P2W problem and if you aren't playing it already it's not particularly worth getting into now due to how bad the solo experience is and how dire the community is if you want to stop playing solo.

I just wanted a modern version of Planetside 1 with better graphics. drat I loved that game. I read about the upcoming patch and it looks like it's going to be adding a whole lot of stuff for outfits to do coordinated attacks and stuff. Who knows, could be fun. I actually still have some fun bucks or whatever in the game that I never spent so maybe I should load it up again, but if I recall the interface for buying stuff and certing is a nightmare to figure out.

Those games could be some of the most fun things with a good group of people supporting each other, but were usually pretty awful solo. So it might be worth checking out of the game still has a decent goon presence. Maybe the upcoming patch will change that?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

But Not Tonight posted:

GOKU does play regularly, we're on Mattherson, Vanu Sovereignty. We have ops twice weekly, sometimes thrice depending on who's around to lead. I expect a lot more people will start showing up after this bastion (basically a flying aircraft carrier) patch drops. PGS thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845393

I think my main dude was NC Emerald. I don't remember a lot about the game but I do remember it being a pretty big grind to level up and get access to more stuff. Is it still just as bad?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

PowerBeard posted:

Farming Simulator 2019 Tournament. Because we all need this in our lives!

https://www.twitch.tv/giantssoftware

This is kind of amazing. Also Farming Simulator is sneaky super fun and addictive and has a crazy good modding scene.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

StrixNebulosa posted:

Batman Arkham Asylum: oh! It's Shadow of Mordor combat, but earlier. I like that combat, so this is awesome. I almost wish the atmosphere weren't so World of Darkness-flavored gothic grunge, but it's executed so well I can't be mad. This entire asylum is hosed up and I love love love it. Obligatory shoutout to how good the VAs are, as of course they are. :allears:

Bonus: I especially enjoyed the camera's lingering shot on batman's package before it drifted up to linger over his perfect pecs

It's a great game, but based on your post history of liking Ubisoft style open world games I think you are going to adore City (and maybe Knight too).

If I had some more free time I think I'd play through them again too. They are all fantastic games.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

StrixNebulosa posted:

I might be about to make an irresponsible purchase

Steam Thread 2020: I might be about to make an irresponsible purchase

(current title is also great)

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

StrixNebulosa posted:

The groundhog day style loop is really novel and I wish more games would try it, as there's some real potential in there. I think the only games that do it are Majora's Mask, Dead Rising, and Shadow of Destiny/Memories (god I love that game)

Outer Wilds

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

It's roguelike survival MOBA chess.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Also I've actually been looking at Gladius for a while now. It looks like a pretty fun game, but there is a hefty amount of DLC for it.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Edmond Dantes posted:

The moon, to their surprise, turned out to be a prison containing Bahamut who they were using as a battery.

There's a raid series at the end of ARR (Binding Coil of Bahamut) which explains all the shenanigans Allag got around to regarding Bahamut. It's also not mandatory (actually super easy to miss if you don't know it's there) and impossible to matchmake for at this point in time. You can still just go in there with a handful of level 80s and destroy the raid if you want to see the story and cutscenes, I ran my boss through them this past weekend with the help of some other goons.

/edit: fun fact: during the last stretch of 1.0 you could actually see Dalamud (the moon prison) getting bigger in the sky as it hurled towards Eorzea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39j5v8jlndM

Link to the cutscene showing the event for those curious. Song is by Nobuo Uematsu.

I believe this actually played for everyone when they pulled the plug on 1.0, which is pretty cool.

edit: I bounced off of FF14 years ago HARD. I tried it years later and I ended up liking it. I do agree with the poster that said the 'tutorial stuff' goes on way too long. Also, some jobs change drastically and become super involved later on which can be good or bad depending on whether the gameplay clicks with you or not. It starts off braindead MMO easy and introduces abilities far too slowly, but ends up with really fun and involved jobs. The endgame is just normal MMO treadmill stuff which I tire of fast, but I know I'll come back to it for more story eventually.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 4, 2020

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Xaris posted:

The MP shooter scene is definitely really kind of bad at the moment, that is, if you don't like milsim tacticool stuff like Arma/Squad/RO/etc which requires very slowly constantly leaning around corners and getting one shot, and while everything takes forever to do or get anywhere. If you do like that stuff, there are a ton of games out there at the moment like Hell Let Loose, Insurgency, Post Scriptum, Squad, ArmA, etc. Unfortunately, I do not . Outside of MILSIM-y stuff, there's Nu CoD, Overwatch, Team Fortress 2, CS:GO, R6 Siege, and uh, that's mostly about it.

BC2 was imo the last good MP shooter (that didn't immediately die ala Titanfall 2) and was absolutely perfect with just glorious amounts of destruction and actual colors to the map instead of ugly blue/brown color-gradings because it's ~cinematic war~. BF1 is pretty ok though if you want to give that a shot, most people from BF5 have migrated back to BF1 after 5 is flopping hard.

I'm still kind of interested to see how '83 turns out.

Planetside 2 has seen a lot of activity lately if you are looking for a different kind of combined arms shooter. It has its share of problems, but the current devs are very responsive and seem to be adding a lot to the game.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

been on a bit of an older game kick. I saw that Resident Evil 4 was on sale a weekish ago so I picked it up. Played waaaayy back on the Gamecube when it first came out and never beat it so felt it was to fix that issue. drat this game is awesome. Controls are a bit awkward but once you get used to them its a thrilling action game with dashes of horror mixed in. I will never get sick of suplexing cultists either. Managed to actually finish it this time and im already sizing up a professional run through.

Before I do that tho, I want to beat another classic that I never finished before, Deus Ex, the original. Thankfully I already own the Game of the Year edition. I recall that there might be some fan patch that fixes minor stuff. Is that something Ill want to look into, or is the game functional enough out of the box? Also, any tips or trap options I should avoid? I've only ever beaten the 1st level before dropping it years ago so Im gonna start from scratch again here.

*edit* dont worry, def gonna grab dat GEP gun

You could look up Deus Ex: Revision. It is also available as a free download on Steam.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Zachack posted:

It's pretty different but Outward. Sort of open world but "real" since the local giant chickens can and will kill you while you're foraging because you caught a cold and don't have soup to warm up. I'm not too far in it but it took quite a while for me to get magic abilities (which are complicated) and get to the second map where the plot apparently starts. No leveling, everything is gear and skill points which you buy. A major upgrade is getting a bigger backpack to hold more poo poo, which you can drop with a single button press for combat.

I've been playing Outward and actually having quite a bit of fun with it. It starts off being kind of difficult, but it's definitely the kind of game you can completely break over your knee once you understand it better. I basically made my character up to be 'end game' before I even started the majority of the story. If you like those somewhat janky kind of adventure games were you can get end game weapons early or make piles of money fast with some tricks this definitely is that kind of game. The unique skill system also makes for a lot of fun build variety, and I've already thought to myself that I would like to make alt characters using different combinations of skills and abilities.

My one complaint about the skill system was that I seemed to go straight from 'early game struggling' to 'late game pulverize everything' in one giant step rather than having a natural progression.

I will say that it is the kind of game best gone into blind because reading guides and wikis can make it trivially easy. As a non-spoilery example, you can find and/or buy recipes for equipment, food, and potions throughout the game. However, if you happen to guess the right combination you make the item and learn the recipe automatically. This is a game full of 'if you run to X right away and you can have one of the most powerful things' type of knowledge, so reading about that in some guide can take away a lot of that satisfying early progression type of gameplay.

Some other quick things about Outward:
The coop is really fun, forgiving, and easy to use. I had a lot of fun playing with my daughter even if she didn't know what she was doing. It has split screen multiplayer and so far it has worked really well.

A lot of the quests have time limits, so be careful before committing to things! Generally the time limits are very forgiving, but if the game tells you to 'save so-and-so before the bandits kill them' or whatever realize that if you don't save them in time, the bandits will kill them and you will fail the quest.

The music is really really good! It's my favorite RPG music in a long time and is a satisfying mix of Elder Scrolls type epic adventure stuff (Chersonese, Enmerkar Forest) and catchy 'JRPG town' type stuff (Cierzo, Berg, Monsoon, Levant). It also has stuff like battle music for each area and night and day music (ala FF14). It's a good enough soundtrack that I will be listening to it well after I'm done with the game.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Sylphosaurus posted:

Out of curiosity what what classskills were such upgrades that you felt that it broke the game difficulty? I´m just curious since I started to play Outward a year ago but shelved it due to real life concerns and was thinking about starting a new playthrough once the new expansion hit.

I'm currently running a magic pistol build based on the merc, philosopher, and hermit trees. I basically blast things to smithereens using a brace of magically enhanced pistols. I wouldn't necessarily say it was only the classkills, but by the time you make enough money to buy those you can also buy some pretty great weapons. Specifically blood bullet and sigil of wind + 3 preloaded good pistols like the ornate ones you can buy in levant. The sigil of wind turns your bullets into lightning damage AND doubles their damage. This can be combined with the blessed boon which adds another +30% lightning damage.The ornate pistols do like 100 base damage, so you keep a few loaded in your belt and hotkey switch to one after the other. I also use an obsidian pistol to do fire damage and inflict burning on bad guys at the start of the fight (boosted by philosopher fire bonus + amplified +30% warm boon. Blood bullet can be used on an empty pistol to reload it and the damage it does actually heals you. Really the only thing I struggle with at times is being trapped in a closed in environment (like a cave) with a very fast and/or strong enemy or if I get caught with my pants down with no buffs and/or empty pistols because I'm being lazy and not paying attention.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

luxury handset posted:

wait for ck3, it's streamlined and likely more accessible as a starting point into the series. the paradox games which are arguably good are increasingly buried under years of DLC and layered systems

you could also pick up ck2 which is free to play now on steam, and head over to the ck2 thread to ask newbie questions. there's a few other people who have picked up the game in the last couple weeks and the thread regulars are happy to walk people up the very steep learning curve

I actually played through 2 entire campaigns of HoI4 and still have no clue over how half of the systems in the game work.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Epic is doing the $10 off coupon on anything $15 or above thing again (in case somebody didn't mention it). That's how I got Outward for $6 last sale.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Didn’t that infuriate a bunch of devs the last time they did that? There was talk about how even if they still get paid the same, it devalues the game in the eyes of consumers.

Maybe those particular games aren't part of the 'mega sale'? I remember something like that but I feel like the 'coupon' tactic was a response to that somehow. Maybe somebody else has a better memory and can educate us.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I've never played an Anno game but I've had my eye on 1800 from the epic sale. Only reason I haven't pulled the trigger is because I'm not sure if my PC can handle it. Anyone have experience playing this on a slightly below average PC?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Building a cyclops, stocking up on supplies, and going on an expedition to a certain place in the game was one of my favorite gaming experiences in the past few years.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I know it is only on EGS at first, but does anybody else think Maneater looks kind of amazing? Release date is tomorrow.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

anilEhilated posted:

Speaking of Far Cry: I beat New Dawn and liked it well enough, but was really disappointed by the need to re-do outposts and expeditions to grind supplies. I guess it's related to the map being tiny - just give me vast swathes of land I can gradually paint with my faction's color, goddamnit.

My favorite thing about New Dawn was when I realized that the boar companion could solo every outpost and get me an undetected bonus every time.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

err posted:

I played Total Warhammer 1, what does 2 add exactly? I understand it's more factions, but the map on TW1 is already massive and 2 just adds more map + factions? That seems like it would just end with massive deathballs and endless expansion.

It kind of works that way, but for most factions the win conditions make 'endless expansion' not really necessary. Up until the most recent patch 'ordertide' was the usual campaign outcome as all of the order races would eventually band together and crush the evil and neutral races. It's still early, but so far the last patch seems to have addressed that but time will tell.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

tripwood posted:

The bundle reminds me of when you'd get a huge box of floppies with a shitload of freeware and pirated games on it and just going nuts exploring what's on there. Sweet bundle!

Holy poo poo that takes me back.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I loved both City and Knight and though there were some annoying batmobile segments in knight, the batmobile itself is actually fun to drive and adds a lot to how fun it is to travel around the city. Both city and knight have a ton of riddler challenges and collectibles which can get really old after a while if you get tired of that kind of thing. My suggestion is if you are getting annoyed doing them, just skip them and watch what happens on youtube. I do recommend the side quests though as some of them are fantastic, particularly in Knight. I never played origins so I can't really comment on that one, only to say it's a little divisive and was made by a different team than the other three.

Also in general for City and Knight remember a lot of trophies rely on skills and gadgets that you acquire along the way, so it's not really worth it trying to hunt them down early in the game (although both games allow you to mark them on your map for later).

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I think if you played them all back to back, you would end up feeling fatigue for the game. You also seemed to forget about Arkham Origins.

Having just replayed city I can agree with that. It's strange to complain about 'extra' gameplay, but some of the challenges and riddler trophies are just irritating and frustrating. As much as I love Knight (and actually prefer it to City in a lot of ways), it probably has a higher percentage of annoying trophies and challenges.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

They are pretty much the same thing, though it seemed like there was more of them and they were generally harder (I'm not sure if this is true or just my perception at the time, I'd have to replay it). Also, Knight had a lot of 'get a 30 point combo to pass this challenge against 10 of these irritating bad guys' challenges that I don't think City had and I hated those. I 100%ed both games, but I remember having more trouble with Knight.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Serephina posted:

I really have no idea what the appeal of Satisfactory is, other than its shiny gfx maybe.

Every video makes it seem like someone tried to distill Grind down to its most potent essence, and make it a means unto itself. You harvest resources and do a shitton of busywork in order to... unlock the next stage of busywork? It's like all the bad parts of a crafting minigame with no end result of having a completed doodad to help you in your actually fun main game.

What is busywork for you is the 'main' game for a lot of people. I have a crew of friends who are super into these kinds of games and all of them are engineers. Factorio, Minecraft, Space Engineers, Oxygen Not Included, Satisfactory, Kerbal Space Program etc. Often these kinds of games have some sort of super thing to build to 'win' the game, but I find the people who get really into them make their own goals as they play.

I sometimes get into these games in a big way (ONI and Factorio) but often I'm too burned out from work to put that much thought into a video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

explosivo posted:

Reinstalling Titanfall 2 in 2020 because people are actually playing Multiplayer again, what a world we live in. I love how obvious it is that EA's been doing themselves a huge disservice by keeping their games off of Steam for so long. I just wish my games I bought on Origin worked through Steam. I mean TF2 is $10 I might just buy that poo poo again.

I prefer Steam but I've never intentionally avoided a game because it was on a different storefront/launcher. Having said that, EA moving their games back to Steam has me looking at them a lot more closely and I'll probably end up buying more just for the convenience of it. I only have a handful of games on the Origins launcher so I just rarely start it up. I would love to have the option to transfer the few EA games I have over to Steam