Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Weapons are nice in both, but Destiny has floaty unsatisfying enemies and gets boring much quicker imo.

Warframe has a great community, helpful goonclan and much more content.

If you're looking for PVP though its surprisingly great in Destiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Smol posted:

Wish I had more time. Right now, my backlog consists of (in no particular order, just games I picked up from the sale)

RDR2
Gris
Prey
Plague Tale: Innocence
Disco Elysium
Sekiro

Before all that, I gotta finish up this playthrough of Witcher 3. Oh and I kinda got the itch to play the Dragon Age series again, so that might make things more complicated :shepface:

So many good games so little time. That list is at least a solid month of 6h/day with RDR2 and Witcher 3 easily 2.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Trickyblackjack posted:

I think the easy settings in most games are designed specifically for people like you in mind, so go nuts with whatever strikes your fancy (doom2016!!). Just ignore how some idiot developers feel the need to be condescending when selecting an easier difficulty. Anyways, nearly all modern shooters are designed to be playable on consoles with a controller, with auto-aim options etc.

Yeah I think thats a good advise. The lowest difficulty settings often give a lot of room for errors.

Just be sure to get a game that allows this. Some are still deliberately challenging and don't provide easy difficulty.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

NikkolasKing posted:

I can run FFXV. I made sure of that from videos on YT. I just don't have 100GB to spare with all my other games and stuff installed.

Although I am tempted to just say gently caress it and delete a bunch of stuff. It would suck but oh well.

that process you did was a very bad idea to begin with for various reasons. I would not do this, not even with USB 3 gen 2 since so many factors will limit the speed vs. any internal solution. Space needed for installation will also always need more room, wether for copying files to the right place or other things. And of all things FFXV has probably the most demands together with the likes of RDR2 and will not be happy on an USB connected drive.

what you could do is move some other poo poo to the USB drive, something that won't really depend as much on hdd loading like a bunch of 2D indie games or whatever and use the free internal space.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Bloodplay it again posted:

While you're totally right about the PS4 controller battery being garbage, the Xbone controllers have been dropping in quality since release. I get 300 or so hours of use until at least one button has issues. Right now, I have two Bone controllers less than a year old that have faulty A buttons. One has squeaky analog triggers too. 100 presses might register as 90 or they might register as many as 130. They also happen to be the only product in the US somehow only covered by a 90-day warranty instead of the default year so good luck getting them replaced!

I can't think about the Elite controllers without thinking about the goon who made a post in coupons saying they were on sale for $120 and when I commented about its high price, I was told I should try to design and develop controllers for less than that. Me, a guy with an R&D team and Foxconn contacts to get them produced. You could buy an okay HOTAS or racing setup for the price of one overpriced xbox controller. Didn't know the second iteration had an internal battery too. What a poo poo show.

Nintendo, the company who invented the d-pad, sells a controller for $70 with a broken d-pad. Screw these expensive pieces of junk. Madcatz quality, first-party price.

I still have a perfect functional (button wise, cable is broken but works fine with some tape) wired 360 controller. Wireless 360 stick broke like a week after buying, couldn't zero anymore.

1 of 2 new Xone controllers RB1 stopped registering input reliable after around 3 weeks. Quality really is annoying for wireless at least.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Unless you need high FPS 4K or do VR, most things over a 1080 are pretty overkill

No. 1440p already puts the 1080 to her limits with quite a few engines and games.

I currently have 1080/3700x setup with 2k/4k output and engines like Capcoms RE, most of Ubisoft, obvsl. RDR2, Witcher 3, etc are very limited by the GPU.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Can you recommend some $10-20 games that look really pretty at high resolution (1440 or 4k) on medium hardware?

what is "medium hardware"? At least let us know GPU and CPU.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Yeah, you're right. Ryzen 5 2400G with a GTX 1060 and an SSD. It runs GTA V around 50 fps on 4K, which does look pretty nice.

sounds good for a lot of still good looking games.

ABZU, Darksiders DE and 3, Dear Esther, Inside, Dishonored, Divinity Original Sins 2, Doom (2016), Dying Light, Everspace, FAR Lone Sails, GRIS, Shadow Warrior 1/2, Hard Reset, Hellblade, KONA, Mad Max, Metro 2033/LL redux, ORI, RIME, Risen Ruiner, STALKER CoP/SoC (+mods), Sleeping Dogs DE, Tokyo 42, Transistor, Trine 2/3, Vanishing of Ethan Carter, The Witness.

I haven't checked prices, but those should run all at 2k at least, maybe with a few options not at max. Some should run in 4k. 2D titles like GRIS or INSIDE look gorgous but are not very resource demanding.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

exquisite tea posted:

If the market is out there and you're selling consoles at a loss then in Sony's mind it might no longer matter if you're playing first-party games on PC or on their own system. Consoles are just PCs nowadays anyway so it's not like the work to port them is what it used to be.

Exclusives drive console sales.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Xaris posted:

You're either a) buying a console because PCs are intimidating/too confusing/complex/expensive, and prefer couch-potato gaming but don't/can't setup Steam link, in which case a PC version is just extra revenue; or b) you have a PC that's your primary and you're buying a console for an exclusive(s) that you play once n done and it collects dust. The former group is the big bucks, the lattergroup not so much and probably revenue neutral +/- at best.

You're not wrong but these factors are a bit more connected and a lot of things have different roots, such as Sony as a core market competitor with Microsoft, but a decade or so longer in the game, had little friction with the PC market in the early years while MS entered full confrontational making 2 major PC core genre usable (well..) for controllers and so on. Sony only later came around, but still mostly had their own things going (which btw. got ported badly to the PC not that seldom)

Nowadays most platforms in the core segment are more or less the same, but with each new console manufacturers still have to sell it and retain the audience. And that's mainly done through exclusives, timed or lifetime. I don't see Sony breaking this rule too much with a few games here and there being later released to the PC.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Artelier posted:

I keep going back and forth on whether I want to get Rage 2. The gunplay looks fantastic and the colours are beautiful but everything else sounds like a slog.

Gunplay gets fun once you have the guns and updates which in return makes a large portion of the game boring.
It's not a good game but it has it's moments. Don't spend more than 10 on it.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Artelier posted:

How's Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus? Still itching for a fast paced shooter with good gun feel, looking to charge in and shoot crazy things off. Loved The New Order but got tired of Old Blood pretty quickly, felt a bit too squishy there. But could just be because I played them back to back.

Not worth the time. The extreme bad level design alone takes out all shooting fun. Skip it or watch an LP.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

OhFunny posted:

Wow turning up the SSAA and Tessellation in Metro Last Light really brings GPUs to their knees.

Turning up SSAA kills most GPUs in all engines supporting it though. It basically just multiplies your resolution and often has a predictable fps outcome.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

My 3700x runs below 70°C at all times with the stock... Cooler still sucks though, since it's loud. Shouldn't have trusted the Wraith reviews :/

The cooling profiles are determined by the board though.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

yes, Steam is down to the point not even offline mode works. Can't remember the last time this happened

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

I almost registered a new facebook account to write an outraged social media post but yeah it works again

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Lambert posted:

It's less popular than it used to be, but current examples of flash-based menus in games are World of Warships, The Crew, Alien:Isolation, XCOM2, Hitman, Borderlands 3.

Do you mean Scaleform?

/beaten

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

DatonKallandor posted:

Personally I think Surge 2 vs Surge 1 is about 50% as much of a catastrophe as Shadow Warrior 2 vs Shadow Warrior 1. Yeah the gameplay is better, in some ways, worse in others. But jesus did they gently caress up everything else. Surge 1 is atmospheric, has character and an actual story. Surge 2 is....a mess. It's still playable and even fun for just the gameplay, but there's just nothing there if you need something other than a decently competent dark souls-ish combat system to keep your attention.

also it's about the only game from a studio with so many years of experience that fucks up visuals to the point where they constantly hindering gameplay.

The Surge 2 has the worst possible lighting and post of the last decade. It was really exhausting to look at most times.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Darkrenown posted:

Is this Terminator game ...good?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/954740/Terminator_Resistance/
93% positive reviews but the trailer, screenshots, and even the description on the store page are so :effort: that it seems like it should be awful. But it's so well reviewed! Anyone tried it? They even have a featured Youtube review that gives it a 4/10 Bad review. Why would they put that there? E: oh that might be an Augmented steam thing.

yeah, it is surprisingly OK to play if you like shooting Terminators (and not much else). For a low budget shooter it does a lot of things right you wouldn't expect (or even be in a game like that). I don't think it's worth 40€ though, maybe 15-20.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

/double :(

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Can't find the Exodus thread but the 2nd addon will be out tomorrow:

Steam/Google Stadia: 9AM PT / 5PM UTC

https://mobile.twitter.com/MetroVideoGame/status/1226888052292956168

Really liked the first one already. Short but great atmosphere.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Yep, pre-ordered Steam owners only. But good point on the timed exclusive period, should be ending soon too.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

https://mobile.twitter.com/GIBiz/status/1227337260217049089

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Bruceski posted:

As frustrating as Steam can be, nothing like getting a game on another storefront to help realize how much they get right. Division 2 is downloading at an okay rate (10MB/s, ETA about an hour) but all the rest of my internet slows to a crawl while doing so. Steam must run their DLs at a low priority, because I can install things on there and not even notice a bump in whatever browsing I'm doing. I had to pause the Uplay DL just to post this.

Steam hogs my line completely unless I limit it. And at least according to Steam it's utilizing the last bit of the line while EGS f.e. is always ~1Mbit below absolute max.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

RBA Starblade posted:

I liked Hard Reset but I found the first boss unbeatable on the hardest difficulty on a replay

Redux? They added a lot of Shadow Warrior stuff to that version which makes it overall better and also bosses easier iirc.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Half-Life 2 good The Division franchise bad :colbert:

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It looks like something out of an edutainment title.

Yeah it does look clunky, but its developed by a single person so it gets a free pass on that front (and tons of bonus points for being a good game made by one person)

I find the art even charming, but I do wish for a bit more polish on the sound side.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Nuramor posted:

So now that its on Steam, should I get Metro Exodus for 40% off or wait for another sale and hope for more?

get it

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Ugly In The Morning posted:

They’re still making DLC for it, aren’t they? I’d figure this will be the sale price until that’s done.

I think Sams Story was the last planned DLC for the expansion pass.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

https://mobile.twitter.com/EightyLevel/status/1230244794556985344

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

The Joe Man posted:

I hope they actually listen to the mountain of feedback they received on the demo.

If they don't, it's going to be complete poo poo.

Yeah. I'm actually surprised they went through with it since the demo was terrible in every way.

I don't think they can get the charm of 1/2 back though and this will be more something between Arcania and G3.

Not even Piranha managed to get the kind of atmosphere in Risen or Elex.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

ZearothK posted:

How does ELEX stand in the Gothic 1, Gothic 2 and Risen rankings? For reference I replayed G1 & 2 multiple times and enjoyed Risen, but not enough to finish it.

Its a completely forgettable game. Same recipie again and very generic from start to end with the Sci-fi as new element very underwhelming and new mechanics like jetpack just adding new jank.

PB lost their ability to make something as interesting as G1/2 pretty much with G3. I kind of liked the small scope of Risen again but none of their games had the lovely world building and special characters from the early days which are an essential element of the joy.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Wiltsghost posted:

It sucks because I liked the little I played of it. I love the atmosphere and the look of it. Just too tense for me.

It took me forever to get beyond the first encounter, but it was really worth getting over that point. Amazing game, even better as most of the movies by now.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

StrixNebulosa posted:

Interesting post by the Void Destroyer 2 guy about what he's doing next: New ship, priorities and plans.

Sounds good and honest

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

credburn posted:

Hey gang, I absolutely love FrostPunk but I loving hate playing it. I'm not even that far into the game. What's really bothering me is that there seems to be a ridiculous amount of micromanagement for a game that doesn't have a UI built around that core idea. I'm only as far as there are people gathering in numbers who want to return to London, but it's already overwhelming. It's difficult, which I would be okay with, if it wasn't so frustratingly tedious as I'm also losing. Uh, I guess, my question is... is that everyone's experience with this game? Does it get better? Does it get less tedious? Is there a "hump" worth overcoming, some part that just needs to be endured so that the real game can start?

The Londoner event is the peak difficulty in the regular campaign and the game will get better afterwards while remaining tense all the way through with still some options to gently caress up.
Its worth getting over.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

anilEhilated posted:

I'm very much in the same boat but I still crave some cooperative shooting. How does Destiny 2 compare? That sounds like it would at least be fun to explore as opposed to Tom Clancy's Vanilla Apocalypse #2468.

Destiny 2 is equal or more boring long-term, where the tom clancy bs is replaced by generic SF bs with less time spending in comparison menues

D2 has great pvp though and probably a bit more diverse at the first playthrough.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Xaris posted:

yeah i just played A Plague Tale on it, holy poo poo that was a loving good game with extreme polish and love for an indie game. everyone should play it if they are subbed to game pass, or wanting to: it has incredible value if you're out of the loop or getting into pc gaming after a long hiatus and don't obsessively buy ever game as it comes out

also for a studio that has basically ust been doing lovely disney/pixar movie tie-in poo poo for a decade+, it's actually incredible how good it is

Yep, extremely well made game.

This game is very good even if stealth is usually not your thing.

They even created their own engine for it.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

repiv posted:

Death Stranding PC finally has a release date: June 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOam12LBQHE

drat hope my child will be chill enough so I get a few hours to play this.... Probably won't happen.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Drizvolta posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/226920/Hellraid/

I will never remove this game from my wishlist

drat, that brings back memories. Also for the other cancelled Templar-themed game from Arkane The Crossing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Black Mesa comes out today as final version with Xen.