Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i recently replayed flame in the flood and got the 100mi achievement before tempting fate by trying to steal from a bear but don't really want to go dive back into the game again.. anyone have any recommendations for a similar gameplay style? looking for survival but not horror. i tried the long winter it seemed all right but i'm looking for others. basically the whole scavenging for items to craft items to help you kinda thing. looking for around $30 or less

Mescal posted:

it's interesting to see how little my tastes match up with most of the screenshots. I think there were two of them that looked like me. that shows how genre-ically and stylistically attuned y'all are when you offer recommendations: most people out there will simply recommend their favorite games.

here's mine

it omits--for reasons of piracy--sekiro and elden ring, both of which i enjoyed, but includes dark souls iii, which i hated but am playing again now on steam deck. (i thought maybe after elden ring I "got it.") It omits Divinity OSII. Gog says 210 hours, so probably total over 250 with Switch play. Tactical gridbased turnbased 2d combat barely registers, surprisingly. Fire emblems aren't listed for obvious reasons. If there's a nonsteam game that would top this list, it'd be dr mario.

the top two, spelunky and stardew, i was playing before i quit drinking. those hours are either forgotten or they're just from leaving it on overnight.

question: does anybody know how to not get dl-speed datacapped by steam's servers? mine have always been slow, on every device with every type of internet connection.

how is wartale? that looks interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Mescal posted:

wartales

thanks for this writeup. sounds interesting enough. i looked at the other games this company makes. including evoland, darksburg, dune spice wars and northgard. i think i'm going to wait until a bundle goes on sale to pick up their game. i just needed something for about a week to occupy my time and i figure if i like this game i'll probably end up playing it more than a week.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

okay so i ran into some weird thing with dorfromantik. i was playing my first map after tutorial but my niece wanted to play some townscraper so i let her play for about 10 minutes. when i got it back it had started a new game. looking around i finally find it but it shows that that game was completed. is this a known bug or is there some weird time limit on making a move?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

not sure if i saw this game in this thread or not but anyone have opinions on zero sievert? a procedural generated rogue looter sounds fun but i'm worried that its some insane difficulty that will ruin the fun.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1782120/ZERO_Sievert/

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

There is some talk in the survival thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3655873&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=168

I haven’t picked it up yet but the thread says it’s hard but not ball crushingly hard.

I’m definitely going to get the game eventually as it seems like a nice take on the Tarkov formula

thanks going to lurk that thread for a bit

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

okay so i was going to buy zero sievert and then i realized i bought oxygen not included so i played that last night instead..

so it seems like its pretty hard? especially in the midgame where i suddenly had to deal with not having any more algae to prop up those oxygen generators. was there a thread for this game?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Mierenneuker posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3811449&pagenumber=304&perpage=40

Note that every discussion about this game delves down to "how can I do this specific project in the most eloberate yet efficient way possible" while as a newbie you are still in the "I need more oxygen/food/WHERE DOES ALL THIS PISS COME FROM" phase.

thanks i searched the first 3 pages with no luck and got random results for oxygen (must have not used intitle).

seems like it has programmatic elements in it for things to trigger.. do most people just play it in freeplay mode and not play it in the regular mode? for me i'm definitely in the "where does this piss come from i have bathrooms for you" phase

drat Dirty Ape posted:

ONI is an amazing game but it can be pretty difficult and I think it's usual for people to fail their first few times (for me it was starvation when my food plants suddenly dying because of heat build-up). It's been a few years and several patches (and an expansion) since I last played, but it sounds like you are around the time in the game where you really need to start using an electrolyzer to create oxygen from water.

The problems in ONI are not easily solved and usually come with tradeoffs.... it really is a game where there are constantly new problems to overcome. There are lots of guides and videos avaible for help if you need it, but one thing that helped me a lot was experimenting in the sandbox mode before building something in my 'real' game.

yeah i got electrolyzers and i actually funneled the hydrogen gas to another part of my map where there was the machine that converts hydrogen to energy. but the biggest issue was most of my map was using the basic oxygen converter and i ran out of algae. i'll try sandbox mode after this game

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

I played on PS4 but didn't your controller vibrate when you got near one as well?