Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

(Previous threads: 2012-2014, 2014-2017, 2018-2019)

:siren: Regular maintenance happens about 4pm PST Tuesdays. If Steam goes down around then, that's probably why. Head to Steamstat.us to verify that it's not just you.
:siren: Want to join the official Something Awful group? Head thataway.
:siren: Want to post a giveaway? Don't do it in this thread, it'll be lurked by who-knows-what. Instead, head here, where it's permanently sheltered by the paywall. That way, you'll know a goon grabbed your gift. Feel free to organise group buys of multipacks here, though.
:siren: IRC. Still kicking. Details here. If you prefer Mumble, we've got that too. Discord? Pick yer poison.
:frogsiren: Found a piece of trash on Steam and want to mock its existence? The thread for that is over there.
:siren: No, G2A are not legit, don't buy from them.

It's the goddamned Steam thread, you know why you're here. Post about PC games. Don't post about other clients.

Game Reviews & Recommendations:
Just follow TooShyGuy's group, curator page and dedicated website. He's the best and hardest-working reviewer in this thread. Check the 2019 thread's OP for more links to all his stuff on SA.

Useful Websites & Apps
  • Steam Library Filters Since Steam's UI sucks and doesn't let you look at your games for hours on end using arbitrary criteria, this page lets you sort/filter/view your games based on tons of criteria. Wanna see every game you own from 2017 with at least an 80 on Metacritic with a Female Protagonist? There you go.
  • Is There Any Deal takes your Steam wishlist, compares the prices of all the games on it against an array of known legit digital distributors, and emails you when prices drop. Additionally, it also notifies you if any of said wishlisted games wind up in a bundle. For bargain hunters, this is essential. Other good sale sites include CheapShark and SavyGamer.
  • Augmented Steam is a plug-in for Chrome that takes the Steam website and adds pretty much all the fixes you want from it. Want price comparisons right on the store page? You've got it (powered by Is There Any Deal :v:). Want to know how many players are playing that multiplayer game you're about to buy? This puts that information right in the store page.
  • TikiOne Steam Cleaner gets rid of all the redistributable packages that Steam likes to download. Save a few gigabytes, the quick and easy way. Now works with Origin and GOG's Galaxy client.

FAQ Shamelessly Stolen from Delusibeta

I have a problem!
General rules of thumb to try first:
a) If it’s a specific game that’s having problems, right click the problem game > Properties > Local Files > Verify Integrity
b) If that doesn’t work, or if it’s a client issue, shut down Steam, go to the Steam folder, and delete/rename ClientRegistry.blob, then start Steam up again.
c) Restart your computer. Works surprisingly often. :v:

The Steam client is super slow!
Try either of these:
a) Go to Settings > Web Browser > Delete Cache.
b) Alternatively, launch the Control Panel, go to Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings and uncheck “Automatically detect settings”.

Uplay is broken!
Since Assassin's Creed 2 in 2009, nearly all :ubisoft: games on Steam come bundled with a required launcher called Uplay. The problem is that nobody updated the installers, meaning that 2009-2011 ish Ubisoft games now attempts to install a completely broken launcher that refuses to update. The solution: download the new version of this client first. Trust me, this saves a lot of headaches.

This game/DLC sucks/just went on sale after I bought it/is busted/. Can I get my money back?
With some exceptions (that tell you prior to purchasing the thing), yes you can, so long as you've bought it within the last two weeks and haven't played it for more than two hours. If you're within these rules, full refunds are available, automatic and are (largely) quibble-free.

Is G2A/Kinguin/G2Play dodgy?
Yes, very dodgy. These sites resell keys. They don't give a crap if said keys are stolen or fraudulent. You are strongly advised to avoid G2A, G2Play and Kinguin.

And remember:

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thILxw6wBJE

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jul 4, 2020

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Deep Space Waifu just released a third game. It is very fun and the least-likely to draw raised eyebrows of all the anime titty games.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

buglord posted:

How good is Ty the Tasmanian Tiger as a platformer if you didn't play it as a kid? I got that $5 steam coupon.

Spend it on Kind Words: Lo-Fi Beats to Write To because it is the most wholesome and honest 'game' out there. I wish I could hug all the Tumblr kids. :3:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Fix'd

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Whats a good shooting game for people bad at shooting? Ive never been good at twitch reflexes owing to growing up as a console babby and ive always gravitated to supports that dont need to aim like Engie or Torbjorn

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Played ME and Bioshock on console. Was looking for MP shooters where i wouldnt be 360 noscoped before i left the spawn, but it always feels like the skill level is so much higher than mine that I can't ever get good because I spend too much time dead

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

It was a tweet so I can't find it now but I've seen at least one musician post their earnings for a year and it was like, in the ten dollars or lower range. Streaming on spotify funds suuuuuuck
Pharrell Williams had over ten millions streams of the #1 song in the country, "Happy," on Spotify. He said he made $6,000. There's a reason Taylor Swift is the best-selling artist over the last decade and resisted putting her music on streaming services for so long.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

reminder that Drawful 2 remains undefeated in local couch multiplayer as the best game

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

It's already halfway to the lifetime sales of Lawbringers.

Still can't believe Respawn thought that a good game idea was "what if Overwatch, but half the team is Genjis and we say gently caress"

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Hey so super-late to the party but in Where the Water Tastes Like Wine, how do you actually do the whistle minigame? I hold down CTRL, the whistle wheel comes up and shows a direction, then I press.... what? Arrows? WASD? Swift Mouse gesture?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Yeah FrostPunk is basically an endless dick-kicking, but then so was their last game this war of mine so you kinda know what youre getting into

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Plastik posted:

Hey, I just noticed I'm sitting on a bunch of packs of cards. Are trading cards still A Thing or did the bottom drop out on that market completely? I haven't PC gamed in about two years, in case you're wondering the magnitude of my confusion.

Sell them for 10-20c apiece and finance an indie game on sale, or open them for the foil card lottery

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Streaming DRAWFUL 2, the party game of horrible stick-figure art, NOW at https://www.twitch.tv/worldsonly (you will also need to go to jackbox.tv and join that as well in a separate browser tab)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

OK need the thread's advice.

I have a wishlist and I have (thanks to being furloughed) plenty of time to play games. But I'd like some help winnowing down this list to just games I'll actually play and like.

I can't do FPS games, especially ones where you shoot other people. I don't go in for multiplayer and I like a more considered, slower pace. Dexterity-free games are my jam (XCom and this war of mine are my top games) BUT I don't like sprawling endless builders or sims like Parkitect or Cities:Skylines and the engine-builder games like Factorio never clicked with me. I like games I can play in 2-3 sittings. And I love love love Walking Sims with great environments and stories and puzzles that aren't absurdly hard. (Tacoma yes, MYST no).

What on my list can definitely go, and what's worth a trial at least? tia

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

Cool XCOM-esque games that you should try: Invisible Inc, Into the Breach, All Walls Must Fall, Alvora Tactics, Steamworld Heist, Templar Battleforce, etc.

Have you tried any roguelikes at all? Caves of Qud sounds exactly like something you would love.

Also, how are you with visual novels / interactive fiction?
played, loved and beat bolded games. I'm a big fan of SOME roguelikes, ones that go hard on being fun to play and beautiful (I'm a slut for polish) - Dead Cells, Rogue Legacy, Spelunky, Zigguraut are my jam. I marked Qud as "Not Interested" because I just can't get past the utterly abstracted ASCII art style.

Not quite as high on VNs as I am on Walking Simulators. Edith Finch, Beginner's Guide and the Artifex Mundi stuff for campy fun are great. Also a fan of "Hold Right for Fun" like Inside and Little Nightmares.

I want to explain, the thing I don't like about FPS's is shooting other human-looking people in the face. It's squicky to me. Being an FPS at all is fine. I'm good with Left 4 Dead and DOOM and such. I loved Dying Light because they actually nailed first-person parkour and I loved running around the city.

The big thing though is I just can't do like 25+ hour story modes. I want to finish a game in a day or two and never think about it again. Or come back and be able to go start-to-finish as a new game every sitting and games take 30m or less (Slay the Spire, Dead Cells, etc)

wafflemoose posted:

Yeah I usually will play games on Easy just to get a feel for them. My time is precious so if I'm going to waste it playing videogames I don't want to get frustrated dying over and over again. If I want to do that I'll go play a Soulsbourne game. :v:
https://twitter.com/shrecknet/status/1070405188475854849

I said what I said.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 28, 2020

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Install augmented steam, log in through chrome and click "quick sell" a bunch

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Logan 5 posted:

Now that I think of it, maybe something like Tangledeep or Sproggiwood would fit the bill better now for a more casual roguelike? I dunno, is there a new go-to intro now for first roguelike? I haven't played many in a long while.
It's Dead Cells and Slay the Spire, both of which I have hundreds of hours in.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

cage-free egghead posted:

Itching for a loot action RPG and see that Grim Dawn is cheap but I've played many hours of Diablo 3 and quite a few of Path of Exile, what makes Grim Dawn stand out against those two?

It has an ending?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ultrafilter posted:

I was thoroughly impressed by ICEY. Definitely keep an eye out for sales on this one.

Haha haha :cawg:

Oh are you serious?

It's very very bad. Its like babbys first 'look I have identified the concept of media criticism' game. The Beginners Guide does everything ICEY does a thousand times better.

E:

quote:

ICEY is an uttely pedestrian side-scrolling beat-em-up. But you knew that going in, the game tells you as much.

What ICEY wants to be is a fusion of Bastion's narrator and something like Pony Island's metacommentary. Unfortunately, it just doesn't get there. The absolute tedium of replaying sections, annoying enemies that stunlock you but don't deal enough damage to be a threat (the fact that the game's most annoying enemies look like Navi does not go unnotied), and the commentary that comes up seldom enough, even if you hunt for it, to be really interesting.

Yes, game, you are commenting on the ludonarrative we are currently experiencing. But what do you have to SAY? (nothing. the answer is nothing. the game presents no opinions)

I got it during a Steam sale for about $8, and even then I can't justify recommending it. It's just not smart enough, even though it's clear it desperately wants to be.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 29, 2020

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

explosivo posted:

I'm really enjoying Monster Train so far, I liked StS but was never able to come close to beating it and doing repeated runs got less and less fun for me so I just kinda drifted away from it. I haven't tried anything but the first two decks so far but I'm really loving protecting the heavy hitter demon cards behind the huge tanky guys with thorns that you get from the green deck.
I, on the other hand, clicked very well with StS

Monster Train: genius evolution, or more of the same?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

I need a "play randomly installed game" button on steam
With spinning wheel and music! customizable!

https://thewheelhaus.com/

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

e: Vlad belongs on a fresh page.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 30, 2020

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Wanna talk up my favorite Princess Maker of all time since it's only a dollar right now, Vlad the Impaler

You're visiting Wallachia, home of Vlad Tepes, investigating a murder most foul. You start by picking a few stats that will affect your ability to overcome challenges, wander the city (although you can't hit every place every day), make binary decisions that can succeed or fail but always advance the plot, and eventually find out what Vlad is up to (or die).

The whole thing has hand-drawn art for every scene and a minimalist sound effect and score setup, and :siren: it's one. whole. dollar. :siren: and it's the best game in its genre since Long Live the Queen

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

PlushCow posted:

hearing it's super buggy kept me off, and now I get the impression it's less buggy and seems like the devs make steady progress. Tempted to pick it up this sale as it's looking playable and I don't think it's going to get any cheaper between now and release.
Never buy games in Early Access.

Beta testers are supposed to be the ones getting paid, not doing the paying.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

El_Elegante posted:

If you want to brag about a steam review you wrote, do it here and I’ll gift you some stickers. I’ve already spent the steam points I want to spend.

ICEY loving blows

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

hulk hooligan posted:

Hey, so I'm going through my summer sale shopping cart before I buy everything, and I have a couple of questions?

Fallout 4: am I missing much if I skip the DLC in this one and just get the base game?
Only the Far Harbor sidequest is any good but it might be cheaper to get the GOTY than base+FH so :shrug:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

What do ya'll find to be the most useful categories for when you're browsing your library to pick the next thing to play? Genres (RPG, Stealth, Racing)? How the game plays (P&C, FPS, Card Battler)? How it feels? (Cyberpunk, Dark Fantasy)? Or something else (howlongtobeat, metacritic score)?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

I would say average rating and genre, although I find a lot of games these days by browsing the "similar to" list at the bottom of the store page for games that I already like.

I meant games you already owned in your library, not how to shop

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Everyone who sends me a friend request in the next ten minutes will get a copy of The Dweller, which is a spectacular one-sitting puzzle game where you crush grave-robbing Europeans with boulders.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

So I refunded Last Evil. I was on board with "Slay the Spire, but with anime titties" but the game is a LOT more than that. The opening cutscene is just dozens of rape-slaves and there's no option to fully turn off the horniness and just enjoy a cool StS clone. It's upsetting and not sexy. Shame because the game is nice looking and fun, but drat do I not need a "Rape this Bad Guy" card in my deck.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Dweller is a short puzzle game that owns hard. Its also 60 cents

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Send me a friend request and I'll gift it to you. Its 75 minutes long.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Just noticed Warhammer Mechanicus is more than 50% off; at :10bux: this game is an absolute steal. It's XCOM (the good new kind) but with legitimately good, funny writing that nails the bleakly humorous death-cult that is the 40k universe. It's just a joy to play and looks gorgeous. Strong, strong recommend.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I don't know what I want, only what I don't want. I have a wishlist, but it's more of a mood board. So take a look at what's there and start shopping for me.

I vibe really well with Walking Sims and low-/no-dexterity Mystery/Point&Click stuff. I like to experience the story at my own pace in a failure-free environment, and be done with it in 1-2 sittings Sagebrush,, Frog Detective, stuff that's either heavy or light, as long as it's good. I'm old, I don't need 100 hour games anymore. Not sure what I was thinking buying Tyranny; I'm never gonna play it. :cry:

Alternately, I like really vexing stealth or puzzle games, Portal 2, Slayaway Camp and Gunpoint are my highlights from the last few years.

I really don't like anything that's a First-Person Shooter, especially if you shoot people. DOOM is great, but I don't do online MP with first-person twitch reflexes. I'm old, remember? I don't mind blood and guts or even killing people with guns, I just can't do it in first-person. So like, I played and liked Resident Evil VII no problem, and all the Saint's Rows because you're killing people with guns but it's so goofy and dumb it's not like real violence.

HUGE HUGE fan of Princess Makers like Vlad the Impaler and Long Live the Queen, not sure how to get more of that sort of "build a person and solve problems using that build" without going complete anime. Not interested in Visual Novels unless they're like Choice of Games's stuff with significant stats and systems under the hood.

Hard pass on most stuff that has medieval or fantasy trappings, I'm burnt out on it from years of board games and D&D. Big into cosmic horror, a e s t h e t i c vaporwave 80s stuff, sci-fi and interesting real-world environments. So...

Suggest a game under :20bux:, I'll buy it and if I like it, you get a game from your wishlist. RISK loving FREE. Gimme some suggestions.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 3, 2020

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

This is an off the top of my head rec as I'm getting into bed: you played Prey right?

lol I have in my library (and not started yet)
Prey
The Council
Deus Ex HR & MD
Disco Elysium
Dishonored
Firewatch
Hollow Knight
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Invisible, Inc.
ME: Shadow of War
Resident Evil 1 Remake
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Sexy Brutale
Shadowrun Dragonfall AND Hong Kong
Sleeping Dogs
Talos Prinicple
VA-11 Hall-A
Wandersong
watch_dogs 2
Undertale

There's so many amazing games I haven't played that I already own. Most I picked up years after the hype thinking "oh hey Deus Ex is $2.49, might as well grab that for a 'someday playthrough'" and there they all sit. Meanwhile I'll buy and actually play pretty much anything Artifex Mundi craps out and I've got a thousand hours in Diablo III.

Mostly I just can't play games for 20+ hours to get the story. It's why I like roguelites and arcade stuff where you have single sessions that run 30-40 minutes and then you're done, or walking sims you spend an evening with like a movie.

Ragequit posted:

Here's a twist since you said you like stealth and puzzle games: Katana ZERO

Another option for stealth puzzler is Mark of the Ninja.
Already own Katana ZERO, haven't started it. Played and adored and 100%'d Mark of the Ninja 5 years ago.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 3, 2020

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Hey I wanted to thank everyone, I've moved Prey and Hollow Knight to the top of my list.

Zetsubou-san posted:

You don't have NaissanceE, you should fix that.
I also wanted to let Zetsubo know that not only did I play NaissancE, but I hated it so much that I outright removed it from my library afterwards.

quote:

Shigeru Miyamoto once was asked the secret of how he made Super Mario Bros. so great. He said, "When your game is about jumping, you make sure the basic act of jumping feels great."

Naissance is a walking simulator. And I **love** Walking Simulators. Gone Home, Firewatch, all the minimal-input Telltale Games you can find - sign me up! But they failed to learn the lesson Miyamoto was teaching.

You're dumped into a dark hallway after a spooky techno-smoke-monster makes you fall. OK, this is great. I can work with this. Then you do a little traversal following a glowing orb. Alright, that's a fine tutorial, we're 10 minutes in, I'm on board. Then we get to "jumping in the dark."

Oh boy. Does this game ever go off the rails once you have to navigate first-person jumping puzzles with an anemic midget apparently unable to clear, climb or navigate anything. Just moving around feels miserable, glacial, and boring. Then you miss a jump. So now you get to do EVERYTHING over again. Once you make it to the end of a hallway that requires you either

a) guess you need to turn left, duck, walk straight for some distance, then turn right to see your glowing floating breadcrumb and walk into the next room

or b) turn your Gamma up to 4 so you can see what the hell is going on

Oh, and the next room has a light-pulse that is literally blinding (like a flashbang that lasts five+ seconds) that you need to hustle out of the room while the door (that you can't see because of the flashbang) is open.

Once you're out, you get a long hallway. At one end: nothing at all! At the other: a cryptic unclimbable puzzle that you're supposed to just walk around.

There's more climbing and jumping, all with impossible-to-see darkness or edge-obliterating light, none of it fun or interesting. Smoke monster shows up? Any sort of environmental world-building? NOPE. Just Na'vi taking some midnight shifts at the world's worst Xen level manufacturing plant.

I hate hate hate hate hate this game. Do not play it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

OK we're halfway through this thing, I want to throw in some recs:

THUMPER Thumper is a horror rhythm game. And I mean that truly. It's dark and beating like the black heart of a rotting god. You're a little beetle. Survive. Currently $6

Zigguraut - Remember Heretic? Now it's a first-person roguelike. It's six years old and it was an indie game then, but it's still satisfying to go back to those days. Also less than $4!

Space Tyrant - I've always bounced hard off the unapproachable learning cliff of 4X games, but Space Tyrant is a much, much slimmed down version that has (of course) a card-and-mana system. It also has some of the most shamelessly entertaining "Bad Guy" writing in a while. $4

Yoku's Island Express - You're a beetle. You deliver mail to people on the island. You have a little confetti party horn you can blow. Imagine Donkey Kong Country's mood and music but as a pinball game. It's less weird than it sounds, it's pure joy to play and it is also $4.

The Dweller - I've gushed about this game several times. It is a little over an hour long, you play as an ancient god protecting your crumbled temples from Indiana Jones-like interlopers. It's fifty cents!

FutureGrind - Finally, FutureGrind is the game I always wished that Trials was. It's the most fun part of every Tony Hawk game (finding grind lines and doing tricks when you transfer) in a chill cyberpunk setting with great music and a goofy, forgettable story. It's $2.50!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I uninstalled xcom 2 a while ago because my squad wiped on a boss mission and i was mad. It was a 35gb download then, but it is now 70 GODDAMN GIGS. DOOM 2016 had the same thing where they force you to get all the MP stuff so the patch ballooned the install from 20 to 90 Gigs. What the hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

I really like bits of games where you lure one enemy group into fighting another enemy group before picking off the stragglers, are there any games that does that kinda thing a lot?

DOOM :devil: