Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Drone posted:

Traditional Games: dare you enter our magical realm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Drone posted:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Drone posted:

It's an injoke but it works on the surface level too, I like it.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

hyphz posted:

The counterpoint is that if the protagonists of a movie are acting in certain ways "so that there can be a movie", then the movie's badly written.

no that's literally all movies.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
TradGames: Fear my arcane might!

Or

Drone posted:

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Mistaken Identity posted:

„Wake up, meeple!“

I've had enough of magical realms, personally, but like this one

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

LeSquide posted:

I've had enough of magical realms, personally, but like this one

Yeah, they can't all be piss wizards and no sense of right and wrong guy. The tree of RPG jokes must be watered with fresh material.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Drone posted:

I am going to support this if we're informally voting.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It might be nice to not have an RPG in-joke, for once.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Traditional Games: Cyberpunk 2020 since 1988

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

TG: basically held to be the antithesis of weal.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Trad Games not trad wifes

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Reject Video, Return to Traditional

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Elfgames posted:

Yeah, one very common writing scenario is writing yourself into a corner where your protagonist needs to (for example) be uncharacteristically antagonistic to a cop and get arrested midway through act 2, so you go back to act 1 and have a scene demonstrating them having a stubborn rebellious streak so getting arrested later is now a natural result of their established personality. All characters have traits that exist so the story can be told.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Traditional Games: You may ask, why do we post up there when it's so dangerous?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Doing a bit of prep-work for an upcoming arc of a campaign, and wondering: anyone know how I might generate what is essentially a random node diagram? A bunch of circles of varying sizes, connected by random lines? Something like these:

It's important that the nodes and lines be randomly generated, both because I want it to feel organic, and also because I'm going to need something like 70+ nodes and their connections, and the idea of doing that by hand is, uh, not palatable.

For context, this is a D&D game where the main conceit of the setting is that the land is full of ley lines, and where they intersect they form nodes, which get tapped for power by druids, geomancers, etc. I've got an arc starting this week where it would help the players to be able to actually see what the line and node layout of a region looks like because their adversary is basically an evil ley ghost that can jump around between bodies as long as they're near to a node he's corrupted. The party's best bet at stopping him is to somehow corral him into a node without an exit (possibly by having the party's geomancer cut off the lines that lead into that node) then kill his current incarnation while he's trapped. We could run all that in theater of the mind, but it'd be cool to overlay a ley node map over the regional map and say, "here's what you're up against, plan your war."

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Please tell me I'm not the only one who can easily pull a character onto the table as a GM but struggles to scrape one together as a player. Company would be comforting.
I say, several weeks late on getting a Cyberpunk RED character together more than just mechanically & rolled lifepath, with less than a week to go-time.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I'd just keep things basic, nail down a couple cliches of your choice and let them expand over gameplay.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Kestral posted:

Doing a bit of prep-work for an upcoming arc of a campaign, and wondering: anyone know how I might generate what is essentially a random node diagram? A bunch of circles of varying sizes, connected by random lines? Something like these:

It's important that the nodes and lines be randomly generated, both because I want it to feel organic, and also because I'm going to need something like 70+ nodes and their connections, and the idea of doing that by hand is, uh, not palatable.

For context, this is a D&D game where the main conceit of the setting is that the land is full of ley lines, and where they intersect they form nodes, which get tapped for power by druids, geomancers, etc. I've got an arc starting this week where it would help the players to be able to actually see what the line and node layout of a region looks like because their adversary is basically an evil ley ghost that can jump around between bodies as long as they're near to a node he's corrupted. The party's best bet at stopping him is to somehow corral him into a node without an exit (possibly by having the party's geomancer cut off the lines that lead into that node) then kill his current incarnation while he's trapped. We could run all that in theater of the mind, but it'd be cool to overlay a ley node map over the regional map and say, "here's what you're up against, plan your war."

I'm a broken man because I could do this abstractly in seconds but have no idea how to make it graphically. I'm very interested for when someone smart comes in and explains.

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

Kestral posted:

It is not optimal, but maybe this could be a starting point:

http://bl.ocks.org/erkal/9746513

https://graphstream-project.org/doc/Generators/Random-graph-generator/

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Kestral posted:

Generating a random node diagram is easy enough but generating them so they both look organic and like that exemplar is relatively difficult. If you're a programmer then the general term you want to google is "random graph". Specifically you'd be looking at generating a geometric graph, where the points are distributed in space and then randomly connected according to their position. The problem is both generating a nice set of points to begin with, and selecting the random edges according to some model that ensures they both look nice and all hang together in the end. It's a couple of hours of work, I expect.

There are graph libraries that do this in various programming languages, but you still need to program to get anywhere with those. The only "complete" online solution I found was http://bl.ocks.org/erkal/9746513. It uses a version of the Erdős-Rényi model to connect the nodes, which doesn't guarantee that the network is connected but is very simple, and some relaxation to make it look neater at the end. You'd still need to edit the code somehow to make it generate more than the default 20 nodes.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

SkyeAuroline posted:

Please tell me I'm not the only one who can easily pull a character onto the table as a GM but struggles to scrape one together as a player. Company would be comforting.
I say, several weeks late on getting a Cyberpunk RED character together more than just mechanically & rolled lifepath, with less than a week to go-time.

Well, I'm coming up on what may be the third attempt at a session 0 of Spire and so far exactly 1 person has a character, so even in games with very light systems folks sometimes have trouble putting together the basics. 4 of the 6 players all have quite a bit of GM experience.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly I think that's one of the reasons games like D&D or Shadowrun stay popular, due to their heavy character build focus it means it's easy to latch onto a quick and dirty character concept like alcoholic Dwarf Fighter or egotistical Elf Wizard to give you a starting point for something more complex

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

SkyeAuroline posted:

No, but I'd be super interested to hear what's going on that's causing you problems, because it might help me help out a friend who does the same thing.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Coolness Averted posted:

Well, I'm coming up on what may be the third attempt at a session 0 of Spire and so far exactly 1 person has a character, so even in games with very light systems folks sometimes have trouble putting together the basics. 4 of the 6 players all have quite a bit of GM experience.

It tracks - I have a harder time with light systems (I have even less set up for a planned Over the Edge game, that one's just on less of a timer...

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

No, but I'd be super interested to hear what's going on that's causing you problems, because it might help me help out a friend who does the same thing.

Combination of decision paralysis and a complete lack of any creative impulse. We've got our pitch (old SovOil submersible FSO from the 4th Corp War shows up abandoned and drifting, crews gearing up to reclaim it for their own ends). We've got a group (fixer, rockerboy, solo, my Media, and techie). I've got my angle to fit in here, since people really preferred the "old war reporter going back into the field" character I'd rolled through the tables over the Nomad or Exec I was considering as alternatives. I just have absolutely nothing to translate this into a functional character, even as cliches, beyond the mechanics of the sheet. Nothing comes to mind whatsoever, regardless of what I do.

I used to be good at roleplay. I can't get into characters' heads any more and it's been years since the last time there was any bleed. I don't know what happened that makes this so difficult now.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

SkyeAuroline posted:

I used to be good at roleplay. I can't get into characters' heads any more and it's been years since the last time there was any bleed. I don't know what happened that makes this so difficult now.

Maybe you're overthinking it? I know that's one of my player's problems. They'll come up with a dozen concepts then get the same decision paralysis.
I've increasingly -especially with narrative focused games- gone less from "yeah but what's my motivation?" or "what would my character do?" to "what would move the story along and be interesting?" Then the fun improv game is justifying that and trying to make for a coherent character. Like folks said earlier about letting the fiction dictate the character.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

In all honestly I try to use session 0 as both a way to explain mechanics, answer system/setting questions and make characters all in one while doing some roleplaying to get folks to get a feel for their characters and the tone. It makes inspiration more accessible by letting everyone see what they're all making at once and having the GM be there to answer questions helps because everyone's there on the same page and it's an environment specifically to ask questions. Everyone making characters at once also helps avoid tone clashes down the line that can be found in individual construction.

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

Kestral posted:

I thought of something else which might do what you want with a bit of touching up:

https://github.com/mxgmn/WaveFunctionCollapse

Got it out of the procedurally generated thread. It procedurally generates images based on a small source sample.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Hostile V posted:

In all honestly I try to use session 0 as both a way to explain mechanics, answer system/setting questions and make characters all in one while doing some roleplaying to get folks to get a feel for their characters and the tone. It makes inspiration more accessible by letting everyone see what they're all making at once and having the GM be there to answer questions helps because everyone's there on the same page and it's an environment specifically to ask questions. Everyone making characters at once also helps avoid tone clashes down the line that can be found in individual construction.

Yeah, that sounds like... a much more helpful session 0.

Simultaneous character creation would be nice too, vs multiple weeks apart.

Coolness Averted posted:

Maybe you're overthinking it? I know that's one of my player's problems. They'll come up with a dozen concepts then get the same decision paralysis.
I've increasingly -especially with narrative focused games- gone less from "yeah but what's my motivation?" or "what would my character do?" to "what would move the story along and be interesting?" Then the fun improv game is justifying that and trying to make for a coherent character. Like folks said earlier about letting the fiction dictate the character.

Entirely possible, but it's still not a helpful reframe; have to have something to walk in with before the game starts to get any "what would move the story along", and aiming for that directly is the straight road to "play optimally, roleplay be damned" without much in the way of branches and none that don't loop back into the main path.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SkyeAuroline posted:

Entirely possible, but it's still not a helpful reframe; have to have something to walk in with before the game starts to get any "what would move the story along", and aiming for that directly is the straight road to "play optimally, roleplay be damned" without much in the way of branches and none that don't loop back into the main path.
Chill out, relax, roll up to the session, and base your character off the most interesting things you do in the first session. At some point you're going to have to make a choice, after you've made a decision have a think about what this says about your character. You save a guy "not worth" saving? Guess you saw enough killing as a reporter and don't want to be the guys you reported on. You let a guy die to save your own skin? If there's one thing war teaches you, it's when to cut your losses. You cold kill a dude for being a minor inconvenience? You saw so much poo poo nothing phases you anymore. You do any of these and after a bit you (the real you) go "No that felt wrong"? Use what you now know isn't the guy you're playing to help shape the guy they "really" are, then memory hole/retcon that scene harder than a bad first season guest writer episode. After a few things like that you'll have a real good idea of who your character is.

They also don't have to be anywhere nearly as dramatic as killing/saving a guy. For various reasons I have a tendency to join campaigns on session 2, and a bunch of my most well rounded out characters started the (well, my) first session as nothing but a pile of stats but had their entire personalities and motivations fully fleshed out by the end of the in media res introductory RP scene.
e:

SkyeAuroline posted:

Assuming by "pull a character onto the table as a GM" you mean an NPC, as a GM you already know what the character is "for" so you have a pile of framework to hang them off, and they're also inherently disposable so there's no pressure to make them good or internally consistent. "I need to give this guy a personality that fits the plot and party that will be fun to play and play with for several months at least" is a very different mindset to "I think I'll deliver these quest hooks and setting exposition via a name and a funny accent".

Splicer fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 28, 2020

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Elfgames posted:

Ratoslov posted:

Yeah, one very common writing scenario is writing yourself into a corner where your protagonist needs to (for example) be uncharacteristically antagonistic to a cop and get arrested midway through act 2, so you go back to act 1 and have a scene demonstrating them having a stubborn rebellious streak so getting arrested later is now a natural result of their established personality. All characters have traits that exist so the story can be told.
I'll alter hyphz' sentence to

hyphz posted:

The counterpoint is that if the protagonists of a movie are acting in certain otherwise unjustified ways "so that there can be a movie", then the movie's badly written.
Going back to add a scene establishing that the character has a stubborn rebellious streak is the opposite of this. Yes the reason the character has a stubborn rebellious streak is so the movie can happen, but from the viewer's perspective the stubborn rebellious streak is what led to the movie happening. If the character has previously shown themselves to be normal person levels of stubborn but suddenly goes off in one scene for no reason then yeah it's a bad film.

If you're playing a TMNT style game where the bad guys never really try to kill anyone then leaving the bad guys alive is both a part of and explained by the genre; there's no in-universe risk so there's no in-universe reason to escalate to murder. If you're playing a game where Deathman O'Genocide has and regularly continues to visibly and provably maim and murder vast quantities of people then you're going to have to come up with a better reason not to just kill him other than "we're the good guys".

Splicer fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 28, 2020

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Kind of one of the most basic forms of western plot is based around "this character has a Tragic Flaw in their personality that leads to their downfall" and I'd generally say it's pretty compelling to watch, say, Hamlet's indecision gently caress him up. It's not that stories never have characters that are poorly written or poorly execute this format, but it is weird to see it criticized in the abstract.

And on track for making RPG characters, I think it's a good thing to think about for making PCs even (especially) if its in a system where there's no explicit vice or what have you. Flaws that lead to mistakes like being impatient or vain are some of the best things to add to any RPG, since they drive the action and make the character a more active participant in the drama.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Appreciate the advice. I think Splicer's commentary is the mindset I needed going in here.
Now I just need to figure out where Pondsmith put my light pistols...

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
How do you incentivize movement in combat, both in a game system, or in individual scenarios?
I feel like a lot of systems do not do this which leads to people standing in place and plunking away rather than engaging with terrain at all.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Have interesting terrain, combat objectives beyond reducing the other guy's HP to zero and PC/NPC abilities that manipulate/require positioning/terrain.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Pretty much that. LANCER is excellent to look at for a game that makes moving essential for many of its archetypes and in differing ways.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Make sure the game's action economy doesn't punish movement. If moving takes away your ability to attack, the optimal decision is to sit in place and keep attacking, rather than sacrifice potential damage to improve your position.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

DalaranJ posted:

How do you incentivize movement in combat, both in a game system, or in individual scenarios?
I feel like a lot of systems do not do this which leads to people standing in place and plunking away rather than engaging with terrain at all.
Stunting bonuses from traversing terrain in cool ways.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Making standing in one place and swinging / firing hazardous also works, preferably in combination with a carrot as well as a stick. If the default assumptions of the system are that your defenses are X as long as you're in motion, but [a much lower number than X] if you're stationary, people are going to find ways to hustle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It might be nice to not have an RPG in-joke, for once.

Modest proposal after looking at other subforum taglines:

Traditional Games: The place to discuss analog gaming -- pen, paper, cardboard, dice. Dare you enter our magical realm?