Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Abyssal Squid posted:

Alright, you convinced me to be shameless:

Just put out my weapon generator/picker, Humblebird's Modest Armory.

It's a departure from my usual style of exploring the fantastic corners of an enormous design space, which is why the Armory is Modest. I wanted a better way to pick various weird polearms than "browse the AD&D 1e list and end up taking the halberd anyway because it has the best stats" and there didn't seem to be one, so I made one myself. Along the way I learned a lot about medieval gunpowder weapons, which are very much included, and even if you don't buy it I want everyone to know that samurai used handheld rocket launchers.

Next in the pipeline, I've got a cartoon villain plot generator (originally inspired by Pokemon plots but since expanded a bit), and on the back burner I've got a dream generator and fantasy industrial chemistry generator simmering.
Your generators have sincerely helped me have excellent jumping off points for worldbuilding and was directly responsible for coming up with the Skates in Cohesion so this is a must-buy for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Stealth Train is also Straight so the powerlessness is part of the point.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Yeah, I won't lie, "we're making a Cthulhu game because the IP gets attention but Lovecraft was a fucker and you can just run these things as agnostic timebeasts" would be a good take and also wouldn't diminish from the scenarios themselves which can actually pretty easily just be generic timebeasts (the Shub scenario is more focused on one human cultist antagonist being a complete and total tool, for example).

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

I just want to second "if you want to do indie cosmic horror poo poo" please for the love of God just get Silent Legions and play with some random roll tables. It's great and you can interpret your rolls to see how they make sense and build a whole thing out of that.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

I would say it's most likely a matter of agency on the part of the person with the disability. Warhammer 4e is pretty good about this: a disability doesn't mean that your character is rendered unplayable or loses their agency, they just have to adapt to the type of disability. Loss of an arm or a hand means you can learn to use the other hand, loss of a foot or a leg slows you down, losing an ear or an eye or both inhibits senses. But they don't permanently make you fail at stuff. Losing both eyes is a -30 modifier to sight-based tests...but you can still make tests. Losing your tongue means you automatically fail Language tests to speak but you can still make noises to communicate or use other means like sign language or literal signs. You can also get prosthesis to replace that missing hand with a hook and spend XP on it to make it so you're as good as your old hand with your hook, same thing with a prosthetic leg. There's also the fact that disability is pretty well represented in Warhammer because it's a pastiche of pseudo-Medieval Germany and disability is pretty common; there's no written-in ableism, medical care could definitely be better but the prosthetics industry fills the gaps, there's not any real prejudice against people with disabilities. There's a Fellowship (charisma) penalty for some things but that feels written more that openly displayed disabilities are either a sign of poverty or not taking care of yourself. People lose parts of themselves in Warhammer, it feels like what matters more isn't that you're missing things but more that you're not really trying to do anything about it. Plus there's less of a reason to be prejudiced against people with disabilities because those are just pretty common things and not a clear indication of the Foul Taint Of Chaos which people are prejudiced against.

In summation, I apologize for any stumbling in my above words but I think it's a matter of representation and also not taking away agency or capability.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Or at least that's how I view it, yeah.

e: or as a friend I've talked to who is a disability rep has pointed out to me, the mechanical penalties should only really exist until the character is accustomed to their disability and can work with/around it. Also that there should just be guidelines for the DM to read to not be a dick about implementing these rules or representation because a bad person will smugly lean on the rules as a defense of their bigotry.

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 28, 2020

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

:colbert: Attacks of Opportunity is the worst gamefeel nickle and dime thing from D&D.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

That Old Tree posted:

Dude who makes it was incredibly annoying about "marketing" it, to the point of getting run off SA immediately and banned from RPGnet for a total inability to stop posting thinly veiled (or not even veiled at all) "buy my book"s in the main discussion forum. He's toned it way down, though that might just be because he's been kicked out of everywhere with anything resembling moderation. I recall he still manages to be a little gross with it sometimes when a controversy happens and he'll tweet along the lines of "trans right are human rights…also please buy my game!"

Not a complete monster, but a real annoying poo poo nonetheless.

The game is mostly a "just fine" rip-off of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2nd Edition, cramming like the original core rules plus half a dozen supplements into 500 or 600 pages. The only really offensive thing about it is the overt laziness of lifting in-jokes and story hooks directly from WFRP without changing a thing, like the "small but vicious dog" inventory item or, IIRC, the rat-catcher profession that's a bunch of paranoiacs who are right about the evil ratman empire lurking beneath city streets. Not even a hint of trying to be oblique and "pay homage", just straight up transplanting a joke/reference/plot point from someone else's books. Luckily, I guess, it's only a handful of things.

Oh, I also heard Dark Astral, the rules expansion to try to make it work for Warhammer 40k, kind of just plain sucks for reasons I can't remember.

Since he isn't/can't be an annoying poo poo as much as he used to and his game is neither amazing nor laughably terrible, he and it don't come up all that often anymore.

DARK ASTRAL

In the grim future of Dark Astral, there is only war.

The solar system is spread apart into warring fiefdoms, technology has gone by the wayside and become an extreme luxury, education is fleeting and knowledge is reserved for the powerful – meaning science and medicine lag behind. Religion and superstition reign. This is a campaign setting that’s deeply entrenched in superstition and subverted ideals, despite the staggering height of technology.

Dark Astral is the Renaissance era transplanted into the theater of the Vault of Night: foolhardy Shadowbrokers, corrupted Klergists, insane Psykonauts, hedonistic Technokrats, sanguine Manhunters and ravaged Astrotemplars all have their niche, even if their sailing ships are replaced by space arks and bows with laser rifles. In Dark Astral, don’t use traditional science fiction terms: aliens are called The Other, gravity is called Ætherea, planets are called Dominions, spaceships are called Arks, stars are called Mirrors and space itself is called the Vault of Night. In the uncharted territories in the Vault of Night, there are not galaxies, but Wytch-spirals. Instead of black holes, there are the starless wells called Dark Astral.

It is the far future, but in a not-so-distant past of the one we recognize as the Renaissance. Following the desecration of the garden world of Eden, the people fled in a massive diaspora through the Vault of Night, under the auspices of an immortal Technokrat named Sol Invictus. In the grim darkness, a new Jerusalem was erected, a pinnacle of humanity’s greatness. As time progressed, the memory of Eden was lost to a new dawn, regarded barely as a faint echo in Sol Invictus’ convocations. As humanity’s faith and culture spread to new dominion worlds, so did the threats of an unknown universe unfold.

An unforeseen enemy emerged from the vastness of the Dark Astral - an uncharted sector in the Vault of Night. Civilization was threatened by what was simply called “The Other”. Not even the godhead could protect the people from the horrors to come. Unable to cope with the wrath of The Other’s legions, survivors of New Jerusalem congregated in the Last Cathedral, pleading to a dying Sol Invictus for answers. The Astrotemplars of the godhead interpreted the grim omens. Humanity was tasked with a holy quest, commanded to make pilgrimage back to Eden. Gathering the best and brightest, a massive ark known as Outremer (pronounced Oh-trey-mere) was built in the few short years to follow. Housing nearly ten million souls and two of every beast, it raised anchor, departing New Jerusalem shortly before it was destroyed by The Other’s infernal weaponry. It took nearly three generations for the ark’s survivors to find the path back to Eden. But it was not the Eden spoken of in the sermons.

An aurora of shimmering pink light surrounded Eden, an emerald jewel encircled by a haze of dark Magick. Passing through the whorl of chaos, Outremer nearly disintegrated as it hurdled towards Eden. Nearly broken, remnants of the ark and a mere fraction of humanity survived the impact. They had escaped The Other, yes but the Hospitaliers’ prayers to Sol Invictus were left unanswered following their arrival. Had they ventured too far beyond? Was this the Eden prophesied of? Left with no choice, the Outremer followed protocols given to them by the godhead. Eden became their new home.

Now, nearly three generations later, the massive city known as Outremer stands as a bastion against the Hinterlands.

Beset on all sides by Mutants, the survivors try to eek out a desperate existence, devoid of Sol Invictus’s divine voice. The ruler of Outremer, the Elector-Prelate, hides behind his guard of Astrotemplars. His supplicant Hospitalier Klergists send countless adventurers on ‘Crusades’ into the surrounding wilderness for the glory of Outremer. This world is not safe and it is not kind, but it is the only one they know.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

So how bad is The Witcher rpg? Because a friend is thinking of running a game of it.
It's built on Cyberpunk 2020 except set in The Witcher, Witchers are more or less Solos but with more fancy poo poo and there's a lifepath chargen system, so. If any of those set off red flags, maybe get ready to either duck out or lean into the disaster.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

Is this a System Mastery bit?
"And then a dog beats your stealth check..."

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

A friend of mine once described Wick as "the kind of person who approaches every social encounter like they're the dom in a BDSM relationship and the whole planet should feel lucky to be his sub".
Oh, a narcissist. That tracks.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

They do just kind of crank poo poo out constantly so I can't say I'm too surprised.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Agent Rush posted:

I love the concept of Wonderland, but I bounced off of this book hard. I should probably try to give it another go sometime, things like it have been a real strong influence on my sensibilities and designs since I first read Alice In Wonderland.
Turns out the book is free so I just downloaded it to look at but had the Brain Genius thought of "I should check the free core rules to see how the system itself ties together" and have not touched either after I saw in the table of contents that one of the descriptors for having a low intelligence stat is an offensive term in a book that was written in the early 2000s so time will tell if I ever read Wonderland.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

mango sentinel posted:

Yeah maybe make some headass gaming philosophy thread so we can get that stuff out of here and talk about cool stuff like if Robin D. Laws's Yellow King is any good.
It's pretty dope and I like it a lot, it's got a better lighter framework as part of Pelgrane making games people want to actually play now. Good amount of "people really like The Yellow King a lot in nerd circles and they like Hastur and Carcossa too but realtalk most of the actual written poo poo is loving boring so here's some baseline ideas and themes and you should just remix that poo poo with your own original ideas" as opposed to deep devotion to the Lore As Canon as it stands in a lot of nerd cultures that talk about Hastur and poo poo.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

The Yellow King RPG is super good about that, you don't even have to use every tool within its own settings if you want. One of my friends didn't like the idea of Castaigne as Hastur's avatar, so her version of The Wars involves less a war against the Castaigne family and more against basically the ghosts of the Imperial Dynasty, with the machines and other horrific Carcosan machines just continuing on with their "programming" so the entire fascistic process and war machine is automated. She had to change very, very little.
It is legitimately refreshing for one of the groups of people who are Big Name Authorities in this (admittedly small) industry who produce the second-most recognizable content for this specific niche of content to be like "there's just. There's a lot of gaps. This entire content zone is insular and there's a handful of set touchstones and themes so, like, yeah, you're going to have to go your own way, please go your own way". The Wars and Aftermath are pretty strong in that regard and the two settings I have the most interest in because they're just operating in a blind environment with a lot of advice for what to do, especially because the setting is completely disregarding Lovecraft and just sticking with Chambers. I like the emphasis on surreal horror and how the incursion of an alien reality causes the lines to blur in a way that establishes a strange new hybrid reality that generations get drunk on before forced sobriety through revolution makes them question what the gently caress is going on. And your friend's take is pretty neat as well, I like the idea of stripping back the figureheads of this force into just becoming an autonomous, predatory force of invasion.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

I liked the idea because, like, it felt to me like a commentary on the way fascism and war tie together in ways that, just, NEVER change. The war defines them, and the way they wage that war and oppress people could be completely automated.

I haven't started planning my own YKRPG yet because I just have NO idea how it could be done yet. There's so much!!
The more I think about it the more I think I want to run YKRPG's main narrative thrust treating the forces of evil and intrusion as being literally The Fair Folk with glamour and poo poo being a real problem.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Kestral posted:

We are now at five days and ten nearly solid pages of once again realizing that hyphz’s group is dysfunctional. The ignore function rules and I highly advocate its use, but when these conversations happen this thread becomes unreadable for going on a week at a time, in a way that even ignore can’t fix. Can we please move on to any other topic?

Here, I’ve got one: how can I preserve my voice when doing a lot of VOIP gaming? I run two by Discord, one weekly, one alternating weeks, and it’s murder on my throat. I can tell I’m speaking differently and projecting, as though I’m addressing people in a crowd instead on the other end of a mic, but even when I focus on speaking normally, I can tell there’s a difference.
Hydrate regularly with tea or plain water, you don't want to use soda or beer, make sure you take a sip pretty often to keep your throat and mouth hydrated. Honey lozenges are good, as is just plain drinking a mouthful of honey every so often. You want a constant care and maintenance throughout the session followed by, like, a good tea with honey when the session's done and you're resting, it's like taking care of yourself hiking vs. taking care of yourself in a sprint.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

I just hope the rules are more clear, especially if they're based on Mouse Guard.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

Is there a thread to talk about listening to recordings of tabletop gameplay? Or asking for recs of such? I've been listening to Rycon Roleplays on youtube - their Z-Land series was pretty drat good (if grimdark as hell) until it shifted from zombie apocalypse genre to more mad max-esque grimdark. So I'm looking for a place where I can commiserate and/or ask for recs of similar horror/survival games to listen to.
There's the AP thread. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3743698

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

CobiWann posted:

So if I was going to run Paranoia for my role-playing group, what would be the best edition to use? I have access to a lot of the original books and materials and the main set for the latest edition.
XP or 25th Anniversary Edition which are more or less the exact same thing. Some advice and you should feel free to ignore this:

-If you want to avoid some of the issues of swinginess in chargen (which is a feature but if they're not used to Paranoia, it can be very disheartening to see that they have a really bad skill in Wetware or whatever and won't ever try those skills), use the point-buy system to make the characters but roll for the rest of their little lifepath choices (mutant power, secret society, service sector, etc). Also that way if you're rolling with a large group of players you'll have someone for each of the approaches. Probably let them pick their own skill specialties and drawbacks.

-Use the Mandatory Bonus Duty questionnaire sheet and then give them the roles they're least suited to. The sheet is always fun for roleplaying, giving them the wrong roles is fun for giving them a curveball to work with (alternately just give them the roles they're most suited to because hey why not keep them motivated towards a certain style of play).

-If you want advice for a module to run: Heroes Of Our Complex, the one where the mission is to kill a prominent media figure by dragging his drug-addled rear end around with your crew as the UVs and Friend Computer keep putting the group in increasing levels of barely-justified danger because nobody knows how many backup clones the media figure has. It's a good level of absurdity and everyone is more or less fundamentally on the same side of completing the mission goal (except for societies who want to save him) so the clear tangible goal of "murder this guy and keep murdering this guy" is something solid to work towards at the table. Plus you can flex your own roleplaying muscles and voices by giving him a douchey voice and keep thinking "man, gently caress this guy".

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

IDA has exactly one idea worth stealing and it's the Cannibals.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

I have a curiosity about World of Darkness - I know that eventually there was a book about mummies that was published for it, and I want to know more about that:

* what were their powers/abilities?
* what was their relationship to vampires?
* how did one become a mummy?
* if one were playing a mummy (or a party of mummies?), what would you do? what kind of goals might you pursue, or what kind of character development might you want?
*Bad.
*Bad.
*Making one at character creation.
*Conquering empires and reclaiming stolen heritage and relics to return them to their rightful cultures.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Permission? Are you afraid someone is going to ban you for sharing proof of heinous things?

Who would do that?
This ain't it, chief.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

I really like UVG's advice in the case of the PCs coming up with a get-rich guaranteed scheme being "let them hire people to run that business and let the PCs become managers who get a steady cash stipend while they go run around continuing to have adventures".

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Listened to some actual plays for Zweihander made me interested in seeing where exactly the rules diverge from Hamfant. Turns out Zweihander got picked up by Andrews McMeel publishing for distribution of the books and PDFs. Now most of their outlets don't stock the PDF unless they're B&N or Amazon, the DTRPG version has issues/won't actually download the core book for me, and he's working on a game involving American history using 1d100. I guess only having dead tree books/books in esoteric file formats is a good way to continue to prevent piracy and also get money.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Does Rasputin do the Konami Code or is he a purist.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

That Old Tree posted:

Purist, but also it's only a total of like 30 seconds of screen time. Then he gets dragged onto the modeling catwalk for Hot Topic.
A solid take on the Russia's Greatest Love Machine form of Rasputin.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

fool of sound posted:

Slasher Flick is specifically made for one shots emulating the genre in question.
This October I want to run a Slasher Flick game where everyone is on a The Bachelor dating show rip-off where the bachelor is Dracula who is incredibly picky and very petty and super didn't tell the Bride polycule about this so in lieu of fighting Dracula directly you can call all of his paramours to come yell at him for being neglectful and miscommunicative. You can be there to smooch Dracula or try to kill him or you just got on the show by accident or whatever, it's ideally just comedy-centric horror.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

I hate this loving monopoly.

https://www.geeknative.com/96553/power-rangers-d-g-i-joe-transformers-and-my-little-pony-games-planned/

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

I mean it's less the toku games and more hoo loving ray Hasbro's decided to cram official lazy franchise reskins down people's throats.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

I'm kind of concerned about the Mortasheen backer rewards to be honest. That's kind of a lowish bar for people backing to contribute to the book and interact with the creator, and I don't mean that to be elitist but simply from a practical/time standpoint. That's not a small amount of stuff he'll theoretically have to be working with people on to include in the book. Also I have no idea how the game plays.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Yeah it's not Call of Cthulhu 7e backer toothpicks but it is...it's somewhere between concerning and eyebrow-raising. I get that he wants this done before a certain milestone in his life but there's some pretty obvious incompleteness that raises questions.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTWyosdkx44

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

90s Cringe Rock posted:

What is the most Millennial RPG? I will not be clarifying my terms.
https://fencedforest.itch.io/opened It's a game about monsterfucking and power imbalances.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Octavo posted:

The yellow king rpg seems to have very little buzz about it, but it's phenomenal. I ran a campaign this summer using two of the included eras, and my group loved it. It's got some neat systems, but the setting - especially the modern "this is normal now" setting - is the exact right amount of creepy.
I really like Aftermath for taking a bunch of ideas from The Repairer of Reputations and actually thinking about them, codifying The Yellow King's influence as being another face of xenophobia/fascism/imperialist privilege that sometimes involves weird-rear end magic and guns that cops use to pacify people by giving them seizures. The idea of Suwanee gave me pause until I saw how it was actually executed in writing and I will always applaud any time authors in this hobby think about and give a poo poo about what they're playing with.

Also big props for outright saying in book 1 "we're using these four stories, the rest suck and even in what we're using there's a lot of racism" rather than hand-wringing about it.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

My solo RPG play experience more or less amounts to dicking around with a bunch of random charts and rolling dice to build cities and worlds with.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

Y'all got any cool world builder games I could get?
Humblebird's generators for monsters and cities, Crawford's tables in Silent Legions and Stars Without Number and games like that, and Reign's random company generators are my favorite things to gently caress around with.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/13652/Humblebird-Publications

Humblebird's a goon, I don't remember their username. The weapons generator is a little ehh but the city and monster charts are really solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Not a book but there's the BBC series "Secrets of the Castle" that talks about Guédelon Castle, a French anthropological/archaeological experiment to build a medieval castle using authentic historical methods by folks living on-site and working on-site.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL72jhKwankOiwI5zt6lC3eQtsQDxOaN_g