Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Vince is loving weird even by the standards of the rich and strange. Or maybe it just seems that way because Elon Musk doesn't produce 5+ hours of television every week offering a direct insight into his mental process.

Been said before that Elon Musk isn't even the fun kind of weird, him and Grimes just came off as that grody cashed up poly couple you desperately hope won't try to proposition you for a threesome

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm also going to go ahead and say again DJTjr looks way more like Vince than he does Donald sr, you can infer why.

edit poo poo Don jr looks more like Vince than Vince's recognized biological son

It's cucks all the way down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Vince McMahon had a storyline that concludes with him wrestling and defeating God.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Vince McMahon had a storyline that concludes with him wrestling and defeating God.

Still not as crazy as Japanese pro wrestling https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironman_Heavymetalweight_Championship

Notable winners of the Championship Belt include an invisible wrestler, Vince McMahon's star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, someone claiming it in a battle that took place in a dream sequence, the entire studio audience, and one time the Belt itself.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I mean the Bible has this exact story but then god cheats

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I heard they were going to do a potentially incestuous pregnancy scare storyline with his daughter

Asterite34 posted:

Still not as crazy as Japanese pro wrestling https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironman_Heavymetalweight_Championship

Notable winners of the Championship Belt include an invisible wrestler, Vince McMahon's star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, someone claiming it in a battle that took place in a dream sequence, the entire studio audience, and one time the Belt itself.

A lot about shonen anime (Dragon Ball, Naruto, One Piece et al) makes sense when you realise it's basically Japanese pro wrestling with actual onscreen superpowers. Not even getting into Kinnikuman, aka Ultimate Muscle.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I heard they were going to do a potentially incestuous pregnancy scare storyline with his daughter

A lot about shonen anime (Dragon Ball, Naruto, One Piece et al) makes sense when you realise it's basically Japanese pro wrestling with actual onscreen superpowers. Not even getting into Kinnikuman, aka Ultimate Muscle.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean the Bible has this exact story but then god cheats

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

God said to Abraham Benoit…

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Hey, God spoke to him and commanded Vince to build him an arc.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Hey, God spoke to him and commanded Vince to build him an arc.

:vince:

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
At the beginning of this trailer I thought this was going to be a mid budget bad romcom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfKO9rYDmE8

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Some quick reactions to my week of indulgence in cinema ぜネ院

Spiderman: Now Way Home - gently caress yes. Gets the job done. Sony's grip on the Spidey movies has been a positive it looks like since they actually use techniques to keep you gripped like, idk, TWISTS. Peter's hubris bites him in the rear end and causes this installment to be a tragedy. A few to many one-line quips in the middle act, but otherwise one of the better flicks in the MCU. Give it 36 inches of Thanos/10.

The Tragedy Of Macbeth - Macbeth was always my favorite Shakespeare play and this is the definitive movie version. Fuckin British-rear end 50's set pieces. I think even the voices and SFX were mixed in mono. gently caress yes. A24 as gently caress. Violent as poo poo. The witches are transcendent. 12 "Scottish Plays"/broken legs.

Red Rocket - Dethroned Dune as movie of the year for me. Mother of God. Hadn't seen this ulcer-piercing of a ride since Uncut Gems. Watch it blind, glad the media-illiterate "Internet Discourse" actively searching for a new Hays Code is keeping this safe by having Licorice Pizza run in front of it like a hail of bullets. 'NSYNC/boy bands.

Lamb - A unique folktale that borders on horror. Supplemental listening material includes Bjork's Greatest Hits, Sigur Ros' Kveikur, and Agent Fresco's Destrier. Not for empathy machines with pets. Recommended.

The Power Of The Dog - Went in for the Red Dead Redemption 2 vibes and rear end in a top hat Cumberbatch. Boring as sin. gently caress this movie.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Where did you find a post from 2010 that had modern movies?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I’m not saying that makes me wanna watch red rocket less but I’m as whelmed as I was before I read it

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Lamb was great. I'm seeing Red Rocket tonight and I don't really have any idea what to expect.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Gaunab posted:

At the beginning of this trailer I thought this was going to be a mid budget bad romcom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfKO9rYDmE8

Well we finally have the answer to the question "What if we remade Romancing the Stone, but 100% more self-aware and with a cast 63% less talented?"

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Len posted:

Where did you find a post from 2010 that had modern movies?

2010 was the end of history

Nightmare Cinema fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 29, 2021

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Semi-related to this, but I've been a fan of Iron Chef America since it started but I only just started watching the original Japanese Iron Chef on Peacock recently and... it is so elaborate and over the top in the best way, with the set and personas and multi-episode storylines about culinary factions and hitmen, and even having like three sets of judges for each episode. It's wild.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Oh yeah, for sure. I was a big Iron Chef fan and always begrudgingly watched America.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I just had to walk out of Nightmare Alley within the first 3 minutes because there were several full-blown conversations happening in the row behind me and some gently caress had their phone out in pure brightness up front.

There are two rules for behaving in the cinema. I don't get how that's so hard to follow.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Iron Chef classic is good times but it is frustrating that often they’re making food with stuff I’ll never taste either because it’s hella illegal with good reason (sharkfin everywhere, abalone, etc.) or just ludicrously rare and expensive (wild maitake mushrooms).

Also sucks that they had to replace all the music they took from Backdraft.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I just had to walk out of Nightmare Alley within the first 3 minutes because there were several full-blown conversations happening in the row behind me and some gently caress had their phone out in pure brightness up front.

There are two rules for behaving in the cinema. I don't get how that's so hard to follow.

Pandemic movie watching at home has broken people I swear.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean it was pretty much like that before IME.

I’ve been lucky thus far, the theater that replaced the Drafthouse in KC doesn’t have an explicit no talking policy (and couldn’t really enforce one) but so far people have kept their traps shut.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Tars Tarkas posted:

Long-time readers of these threads will remember the many, many, many times Zorro has attempted to be rebooted as some sort of Future Zorro. Welcome to another attempt.

https://deadline.com/2021/11/alex-rivera-write-direct-zorro-2-0-for-sobini-films-1234881675/

joylessdivision posted:

Admittedly my knowledge of The Phantom is "Wears a purple outfit and has a skull ring" which rules, and Billy Zane played him in the movie that I was insanely hyped to see as a child and somehow have still not seen, although I think I own a digital copy.

Neo Rasa posted:

The movie has a fun start with some nice stunts and stuff but is incredibly bad after in a few ways, but it's like just goofy enough you gotta see it. IIRC they were originally making a more 90s Batman sculpted muscle kind of outfit for Zane to wear instead of just the skull patterns but he got so ripped they didn't need it.

I still LOL forever at those "SLAM EVIL!" posters

Furthermore

Let's combine the two

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKM-NAmQRW4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2CkoaHRQPQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqnj73iR2VU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Asterite34 posted:

Wikipedia posted:

Inanimate objects:

Ladder - a steel ladder. Would fall on the champion and a pinfall was counted. Ladder successfully defended the title by not being pinned during the time limit battle royal matches. Ladder was a three-time champion and the first inanimate object to win the title.

A baseball bat - lost the belt after being broken in half as a 'KO' decision

Also a beer can that won and then immediately lost the title in between chugs.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

jisforjosh posted:

Pandemic movie watching at home has broken people I swear.

There's something to this because it was never this bad pre-pandemic.

Luckily I have A-List, so I'm not too pissed since I could just try again tomorrow (this time in the afternoon to avoid the same bullshit), but still.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean it was pretty much like that before IME.

I’ve been lucky thus far, the theater that replaced the Drafthouse in KC doesn’t have an explicit no talking policy (and couldn’t really enforce one) but so far people have kept their traps shut.

It would happen now and then and be something that would stick out so badly that it would be seared into my memory. Now it's like...every other movie I've been to in the last 6 months.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The more courteous people are probably still staying home, this is the first year I've not seen a movie in a theater since I was like one year old (and even then I may have been taken to something and I just don't remember)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I haven't seen too many egregious stuff in the theater this year though I have been avoiding crowded showings by primarily going on weekdays. The worst I've seen was, while watching House of Gucci, there was a young man in the front row who was on his phone for literally the entire movie. Ridley Scott was right.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Do what I do: Ask them to knock if off. If they persist, get the usher and have them removed. Yeah I'm that guy.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Tars Tarkas posted:

The more courteous people are probably still staying home, this is the first year I've not seen a movie in a theater since I was like one year old (and even then I may have been taken to something and I just don't remember)

We/our immediate family and friend circle are on the same boat. Most of us had been going to see a movie in theaters at least once a month pre-COVID for ages.

None of us even considered going to a theater throughout 2020-early 2021 for obvious reasons. Last fall though my wife and I saw The Green Knight, Dune, and Halloween Kills because they came out about in time with NYC having you don't even get past the lobby if you're not vaccinated policy and both theaters near us were enforcing that and also kept the seating staggered/was good about having people keep masks on inside. So that felt a little safer. But now that a new variant is out I don't see us catching anything in theaters in 2022.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That's been my speed as well, but I think it's too early to call it for 2022. We'll see how many omicron waves we get, but once positive rates are below 2% in NYC again I'll feel comfortable going to a theater masked. Whether we'll get to 2% I'm the foreseeable future, well...

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Personally my self quarantine fatigue is very real and I'll be going to the movies regardless of Omicron. I don't mean to align myself with all the anti vaxers and anti maskers that I was so exasperated with over the last two years, but I just can't don't want to keep staying home and staying isolated.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

Do what I do: Ask them to knock if off. If they persist, get the usher and have them removed. Yeah I'm that guy.

I straight up did that during a midnight showing of Endgame, just popped my head between the seats and was like "dude if you want to be on your loving phone do it outside of this theater because all I see is your bright rear end screen." Kid immediately moves to a corner on the same row and puts his back flat against the wall and proceeds to scrunch himself up and be on his phone for the next 3 hours.

I'm sad that my last theater experience was "Rise of Skywalker", but it sort of encapsulated my fatigue of dealing with the crowds of inconsiderate people in the theater. I haven't really missed it save for fresh popcorn, but you can always buy that particular salt on Amazon or restaurant supply store, but alas nothing quite makes up for lack of fountain Cherry Coke. :smith: I've become perfectly fine with watching poo poo on my 85 in tv and decent-ish sound bar. Getting a proper sound set up and media PC built are on the agenda for this coming year and following year.

I can scratch the itch of being out of the house by going for a drive, or jogging at one of the nearby parks/beach.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 29, 2021

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Worst theater experience was when we saw Flight. A couple of dysfunctional alcoholics being disruptive in a movie about a dysfunctional alcoholic. This couple came in with a kid to a rated R movie. About 20 minutes in the guy goes and stashes the kid somewhere else. They proceed to spend the whole movie talking loudly and playing on their phones while getting drunk. My brother made some smart rear end comment to them on the way out which started a yelling match that I ended up dragging him out of.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Jiro posted:

I'm sad that my last theater experience was "Rise of Skywalker",

This was the other big reason we saw three movies in the fall of 2021. I feel really lucky that both the Alamo and other theater near us are strict with the no talking thing.

I forget if Alamo still does it but they used to do a thing at the one near us where they'd have "for everyone" showings where you could bring loud kids/were allowed to talk and stuff which was kind of a smart idea, I assume they got a lot of easy food orders that way too.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

This was the other big reason we saw three movies in the fall of 2021. I feel really lucky that both the Alamo and other theater near us are strict with the no talking thing.

I forget if Alamo still does it but they used to do a thing at the one near us where they'd have "for everyone" showings where you could bring loud kids/were allowed to talk and stuff which was kind of a smart idea, I assume they got a lot of easy food orders that way too.

Those were showings that were earlier in the day usually during kids movies and or light hearted PG movies, they're called Baby Days. It was initially a day or two for parents with infants/toddlers/small kids to not have to worry about getting kicked out.

When I worked for the Alamo so many tired rear end parents took their kids to those showings they tended to tip pretty well as gratitude and it was pretty shrewd at least for my location I worked at in Austin, helped pack a theater during slow times of the middle of the day.

If you were working the ticket booth you had to warn people buying a ticket for a Baby Day showing, what it was and be like we aren't going to kick the kids or parents out since it was meant for them and not really a regular viewer.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yeah that's a nice strategy but what if it's a whole rear end row and a half. I'm not dealing with 50% of the people sitting in the theater being inconsiderate pieces of poo poo.

Ended up going to an early showing today (mostly to myself except for an elderly couple who left halfway through the movie). It was meh. Dragged too long before anything compelling happened. I'd say it's Del Toro's weakest effort.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Jack B Nimble posted:

Personally my self quarantine fatigue is very real and I'll be going to the movies regardless of Omicron. I don't mean to align myself with all the anti vaxers and anti maskers that I was so exasperated with over the last two years, but I just can't don't want to keep staying home and staying isolated.
Just wear a respirator and don't take it off to eat or drink. And make sure to get boosted first as well. You can go places but properly protect yourself when you do.

I mean it would be great if drive-in theaters were back but just count that as another thing our governments failed at.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The United States posted:

Just wear a respirator and don't take it off to eat or drink. And make sure to get boosted first as well. You can go places but properly protect yourself when you do.

I mean it would be great if drive-in theaters were back but just count that as another thing our governments failed at.

I mean maybe for you? I've got two drive in theaters within 30 minutes of me. One of them claims to be the oldest in Ohio and second oldest in the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'd love to try a drive in movie, both with lovely period correct speakers and some modern IoT thing where I can just pipe the sound through a Blue tooth headset or my car.

Around here, it's theatres, home theatre, or maybe a projector outside.