Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I watched Nightmare Alley recently at a movie theater whose projector clearly had a bunch of dead pixels. And the pre-movie message had the cheek to ask “Why watch movies at home when you can watch it on the big screen here??”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'd love to try a drive in movie, both with lovely period correct speakers and some modern IoT thing where I can just pipe the sound through a Blue tooth headset or my car.
The best drive-ins had FM transmitters so you could use your car stereo to listen

Len posted:

I mean maybe for you? I've got two drive in theaters within 30 minutes of me. One of them claims to be the oldest in Ohio and second oldest in the world
I don't mean "for me" I mean for Jack B Nimble and for everyone. People shouldn't be forced to sit indoors during a pandemic just to watch the latest big budget pg-13 blockbuster.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The United States posted:

The best drive-ins had FM transmitters so you could use your car stereo to listen

I don't mean "for me" I mean for Jack B Nimble and for everyone. People shouldn't be forced to sit indoors during a pandemic just to watch the latest big budget pg-13 blockbuster.

You do realize that it's December right? I don't know where you're at but it's been pretty drat cold recently. I imagine the drive-ins wouldn't make anywhere near enough money to be open right now. I'm not sure how that's the governments fault

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Worst part of these was the time we found out the transmitter triggered our car alarm. Repeatedly.\

Or the truck just sucked, I was 10 so I assumed.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

The drive-in I went to since the pandemic started has FM and it sounds pretty good for the most post. They had speakers but a lot of them were broken. I assume it's way easier and cheaper to just fix the FM system than it is to work on those speaker boxes.

Len posted:

You do realize that it's December right? I don't know where you're at but it's been pretty drat cold recently. I imagine the drive-ins wouldn't make anywhere near enough money to be open right now. I'm not sure how that's the governments fault

That same drive in was open year round once the pandemic started. It was great even in the cold. Just gotta run the car every 20 minutes or so if it got cold in the cabin. They actually had really good line-ups of movies. It seemed WB and Paramount made some of their back catalog more available to distributors or however that works.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Jose Oquendo posted:

The drive-in I went to since the pandemic started has FM and it sounds pretty good for the most post. They had speakers but a lot of them were broken. I assume it's way easier and cheaper to just fix the FM system than it is to work on those speaker boxes.

That same drive in was open year round once the pandemic started. It was great even in the cold. Just gotta run the car every 20 minutes or so if it got cold in the cabin. They actually had really good line-ups of movies. It seemed WB and Paramount made some of their back catalog more available to distributors or however that works.

Neat, ours drops to friday and Saturday night once school starts and then close in late October. I feel like theyve been open longer the last few years since it’s staying warmer longer

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Len posted:

Neat, ours drops to friday and Saturday night once school starts and then close in late October. I feel like theyve been open longer the last few years since it’s staying warmer longer

Yeah being only open on weekends or just a few days out of the week is common with drive-ins and understandable. The place I frequent used to be open until end of October or so but they probably knew that with the pandemic, having a safe thing to do during the cold months was a good idea.

But yeah, drive-ins are awesome, everyone. Check to see if there is one near you. There might be one and you don't even know it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The only drive-in theater in my area is for adult films.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

For a movie said to be boring, The Power of The Dog sure has won a lot of awards. According to Rotten Tomatoes, before Christmas, it won over triple the number of awards compared to the second place movie, Dune.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The MSJ posted:

For a movie said to be boring, The Power of The Dog sure has won a lot of awards. According to Rotten Tomatoes, before Christmas, it won over triple the number of awards compared to the second place movie, Dune.

It's the kind of movie that wins awards, simple as that. It doesn't have anything like the depth of a Brokeback Mountain or No Country or whatever. But it does look very beautiful, and the performances are mostly great so a few awards wouldn't be that egregious

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lots of movies that win awards are boring. I’ve never seen the reader but the synopsis puts me to sleep

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean people talk about Oscar’s bait but it isn’t only the Oscars that do that

They might be the most blatant

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
not even about a dog that like catches cars and poo poo

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

So...

Should I start a new thread in 2022? I should have time to write an OP over the next two nights

And if so, what should it be called?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Tars Tarkas posted:

So...

Should I start a new thread in 2022? I should have time to write an OP over the next two nights

And if so, what should it be called?

Nobody Greedlighted: Somehow 2021 Returned

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

https://twitter.com/RottenTomatoes/status/1476224994338217987

I guess this can double feature with that version of the Nutcracker that is full of nazi rats

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Neo Rasa posted:

Nobody Greedlighted: Somehow 2020 Returned

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
There Is No Greenlight at the End if the Tunnel: 2022 and Beyond

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Tars Tarkas posted:

I guess this can double feature with that version of the Nutcracker that is full of nazi rats
Also there's Lies of P, the gritty Dark Souls-like Pinocchio game in production. It's the age of grimdark Pinocchio!!

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Nobody Greenlighted: 2020 II: The Twentying

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Nobody Greenlighted 2020/2021/2022: I’ll Never Get To See Top Gun 2

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The Grass is Always Greenlighter on the Other Side of 2022

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Greenlightinged 2022: Who Keeps Greenlighting COVID Variants?

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

We've secretly replaced Greenlighted 2021 with Greenlighted 2022. Let's see if they've noticed!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Greenlighted 2022, featuring Orson Welles as Omicron

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The worst theater experience I ever had was for Wanted. Half the theater was noisy as gently caress, a ton of them were on their cell phones...

...except for the scene where Angelina Jolie comes up naked from the magic healing water and you get the shot of her from behind. The entire theater went quiet enough to hear a mouse praying, and then the moment that scene was over the talking started right back up. Go figure, huh?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The clear solution, films need more nudity.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Legend of the Greenlighting 2022: The Owls of Ga'Hoole

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MH Knights posted:

Greenlightinged 2022: Who Keeps Greenlighting COVID Variants?

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Nobody Greenlighted 2020 Will Return In: Nobody Greenlighted 2022

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Nobody Greenlighted 2022: A Series of Unfortunate Events

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Nobody Greenlitened 2022: Things Fall Apart

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Nobody Greenlighted: 2020 2 COVID Boogaloo

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

The clear solution, films need more nudity.

The Russ Meyer method

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Who Greenlitghed 2022: Only Available In Theaters

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Who Greenlighted 2022: The Movies Are Back! Oh Wait, They're Not! Or Are They?

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
Somehow, The Movies Returned

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Tars Tarkas posted:

What?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The one that had an underage Elle Fanning in a see-through night-dress, John Turturro as a Nazi mouse-man, and Nathan Lane as Albert Einstein.

There's also a clown that looks John Wayne Gacy.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Dec 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The one that had an underage Elle Fanning in a see-through night-dress, John Turturro as a Nazi mouse-man, and Nathan Lane as Albert Einstein.

There's also a clown that looks John Wayne Gacy.

I don't know what kind of people do musical theatre but perhaps it is best that we leave them there.