Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Tars Tarkas posted:

Candyman - A remake sequel thing but Jordan Peterson is executive producing/writing so it's probably going to be good but it might also make people mad!

You meant Jordan Peele, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I really doubted that whole JJ Cut thing too but for what it’s worth that is the dude who leaked the plot of TRoS with 90% accuracy four months before it came out. And the bits that were wrong are so poorly edited into the final film they feel like reshoots, which the leaker confessed hadn’t happened yet and were subject to change.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
What were the dumber choices in TLJ?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

D+ I think. I legitimately believe this is the moment that changed A24.

Are you referring to Uncut Gems? Because it’s one of A24’s most profitable movies ever apparently, so I’m not too sure they’re concerned.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm referring to the Witch getting a D and this being borne out with the general audience reaction, I think they were spooked by the fact that people apparently walked out of it feeling cheated rather than hailing it as a masterpiece. From that point on, the way they promoted their films changed to the point that it's comically overdone, they have completely cultivated "A24 fans" who are ready for anything that studio has to offer, rather than trying to convince general audiences to give their movies a shot and getting mad when they don't get The Conjuring or something.

Okay, yes, I agree with that take completely. The newfound cargo cult around A24 like they’re not a corporation marketing to a niche, but are actually the last bastion of great cinema, weirds me the gently caress out.

Hi CelticPredator, it’s real cute of you to snip at me from on high in the Discord, but you know I read that poo poo too right?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

A24 puts out very weird poo poo and I'm happy there's someone out there that's just burning money to be interesting.

Except they’ve been generally profitable.

If you want “burning money to be interesting,” you can look at Annapurna, the pet project of a billionaire’s daughter, who thought she could just throw money at any script that looks good and that would make for a successful company.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

The Clowner posted:

I love the idea that people liking A24 for their consistently good output of niche films is somehow the result of a trick or a cargo cult. Even when a studio eschews everything CD complains about—sequel/reboot fever, studio meddling/movies-by-committee, overly ridiculous click bait marketing—CD whining, uh, finds a way. I'm loling continuously about this

Yeah you got it champ, it’s actually good to swear yourself to a corporation and act like you’re a film buff for it, you just gotta make sure you pick the right one.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

:argh:Marvel Disney is ruining cinema! Bland overproduced pablum!!

:v: I like what A24 does it's usually quirky or off the beaten path.

:argh: Corporate stooge!

That’s not what I was saying and you know it. The people I’m referring to aren’t even on this forum. There’s absolutely a contingent of fans who hold A24 in the same reverence as Disney fans but think they’re better than the latter for doing so, as if A24 isn’t also a corporation that occasionally releases bad movies or will absolutely pull scummy moves when they view it beneficial, such as Midsommar’s home release or everything they’ve done to Under the Silver Lake.

My take can be summed up as “Don’t forget A24 is also a corporation,” which is not the same thing as “A24 is bad and nobody should like them.”

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 7, 2020

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

At some point all movies that aren't 100% self-funded have a corporation involved so I'm not sure what your point is. I don't know anything about A24's business practices, and it's fine to criticize them if they're bad, but they aren't exactly a towering, anti-competitive monolith that have an active hand in deciding what the future of large-scale filmmaking looks like.

It wasn’t even supposed to be a hot take, I mentioned it as trying to understand what Hundu was saying and then clown guy accused me of saying that liking A24 at all is verboten. That’s literally all I was saying.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

GenChat is still closed, so, what's more essential, Upgrade or Hardcore Henry?

You sure bro?

Also Upgrade for sure.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

The best part of the movie was when Sandler got shot in the face, and the movie ended.

Uncut Gems is a lovely movie following the Wolf of Wall Street template.

Do you have to follow every discussion of the movie around insisting it's lovely with no discussion attached?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Atomic Blonde is good but not really an action movie, it only has two action sequences that got a lot of attention because it was the first movie from a John Wick director that wasn’t John Wick (even though David Leitch is more of a work-for-hire director that was only on the first JW to guide Chad Stahelski.) And they’re phenomenal scenes, but don’t really define the movie, which is just a pretty solid Cold War thriller.

This is the first I’ve heard someone praise Proud Mary, I’ve only heard bad things before. Not saying you’re wrong, but I am curious what you liked about it.

Haywire is indeed dope.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Proud Mary was undercut by the studio, there were reports of at least one sold-out Thursday night opening weekend show getting cancelled at the last minute.

Wait, what? Why?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I kinda don't blame them for not wanting to wait considering Reeves alone is pushing 60, but yeah, that's a huge blow.

I also can't imagine their budget is very loose, Keanu's asking price can't be low and the Wachkowskis did kinda end their careers with three flops in a row. (Four if you count Sense8.)

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

smug jeebus posted:

Which one wrote Bright

That was Mal Xandis, who will die if he says his name backwards.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I’m putting my money on the British royal family doing it, actually.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

ChickenMedium posted:

They totally did it. Harry and Meghan found out about it and that's why they peaced the gently caress out to Canada and the Queen basically gave them everything they were asking for even though by accounts she was furious about it.

I didn’t even think about that, drat. I was basing it off of the way Spacey’s creepy Christmas video ended with him conspicuously holding up a mug with a picture of Buckingham Palace on it.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

Disney making soulless """""live action""""" remakes that bring in a billion bucks a pop is worse than poo poo like the Transformers movies.

:hai:

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Edit: While I was typing that I actually thought "Oh wait, they haven't done Alice in Wonderland yet"; and then I remembered "Oh wait, no they did! It even got a sequel!".

Burton’s Alice movie was actually an Alice-as-an-adult sequel. If they let the well refill they can probably go back to it in ten years.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if they do indeed return to Pocahontas, albeit slightly rewritten.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

I’m only seeing showtimes for Color out of space at arthouses

Is there plans for a wide release so I can use it at amc

No, it’s heading to digital in a month.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It’s at least partially motivated by the fact that it defied people’s expectations of being a bomb and actually made money that would’ve been decent for any film that hadn’t been in development for a decade.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Okay y’all, place your bets now. Will Sonic the Hedgehog be:
1) a trainwreck
2) bad but forgettable
3) decent but forgettable
4) actually good

And furthermore, will it make money, especially enough to cover the $25 million the studio spent re-doing the Sonic design?

My guess is 2 and it‘ll break even, but not earn enough to justify a sequel.

General consensus will be 3. My own consensus will be 1. It’ll be a mild flop.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Harley merch is also off the charts compared to the other characters. The logic behind the commercial viability of BoP makes sense, they just released it at a bad time and gave it such awful advertising. I don’t even think the title was the problem.

I also think it might have been a bad idea to release it so close to the gritty and serious take on her boyfriend.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

God, this is such a lovely world I can't even remember what mass killing it was that made them delay this.

It was actually the president tweeting about how offended he was by it even though he completely misunderstood the premise.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Leto Joker, as an interpretation, is fine. After years of Joker being a character that’s a force of nature and agent of chaos is was kind of refreshing to just have a Joker that was about money. Jared Leto himself, however, is a weird creep and I wish anyone else was playing him.

Ledger is still the best Joker. Worst Joker ever is probably the guy they get for the Injustice and Mortal Kombat games. Most underrated Joker is John DiMaggio.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Feb 13, 2020

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I’m not sure I believe the idea that the original idea was intentionally bad and was not the real design for marketing but it sure seems to have done that anyways, considering it made everyone ignore how horrendously unfunny the trailers were otherwise.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Last I checked, mythological gods aren’t characters owned by corporations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Shia LeBeouf.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Smirking_Serpent posted:

wasn’t there a big scandal, because she refused to do any nudity, and the director made a nude model of her anyway?

Yes. She sued, it was settled out of court.

David Cage has numerous interviews talking about how he used to keep books full of photos of her, and his entire studio recently managed to dodge out of several sexual harassment allegations via dubious means.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
My favorite part of Detroit: Become Human is the part where the robot resistance leader can convert other androids to his side by waving his hand at them, effectively meaning he is fighting slavery with slavery.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Julius CSAR posted:

“Coming of age films” are super loving creepy in general.

I’ll be pretty satisfied if I never see another big actor or comedian make a directorial debut with a coming-of-age flick from a “boutique” studio.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Personally the meme and original video works for me because the “[actor] is [character]” marketing gimmick works by getting your attention with a big, well-revered actor or a character of any renown, even if it’s as simple as being the character the movie is named after. “Daniel Craig is Benoit Blanc” is like, ooh, I gotta see what this Benoit Blanc guy is all about. Or “Tom Holland is Peter Parker” is like, oh, so that’s how they’re doing this character now.

Zendaya, they proudly proclaim, is Meechee. Cool. What the gently caress is a Meechee?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

AMC is refusing to show Universal movies because they shared that news, lmao. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/amc-theatres-refuses-play-universal-films-wake-trolls-world-tour-1292327

I don't think Trolls' success is really so noteworthy - as just noted by others, I think kids' movies stand to gain the most from instant VOD, and that's still $100 million over the course of three weeks, a take considered mediocre-to-bad for a theater. Even without overhead I don't think that's that big of a triumph.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Wasn’t there a Perry movie where a woman gets AIDS at the end and it’s treated like karmic justice?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It’s a stage recording. This move seemed strange to me at first but then I realized the original plan of taking another year and a half to theatrically release a stage recording was probably stranger.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

Maybe they wanted to get some distance away from Cats, the harbinger of death for theatrically released Broadway musicals.

Cats isn’t gonna be the death of movie musicals. Every year someone proclaims that “the musical is dead!” and then three more come out that year and like fuckin Greatest Showman becomes one of the top ten grossing films ever

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I don’t see why Star Wars fans were so opposed to the idea of a time skip for Episode 9. It would have been a perfect answer.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I have never messed up an actor’s name ever in my life, and I sentence SMG to the gulags.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

mycot posted:

Wasn't a pretty common complaint about Outer Worlds was that it was technically satire but didn't really seem to get why corporations and rampant capitalism are bad other than them being annoying?

Yeah, it's Elizabeth Warren the Game. The final position it takes is that there's nothing wrong with capitalism as long as you keep those darn corporations from being too pushy in their marketing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

wyoming posted:

Ah yes, the game where the government is planning on freezing the majority of the lower class rather than feeding them is about how annoying ads are. Great work there champ.

How am I supposed to respond to this base-level snark without starting a flamewar? Sorry I got you so mad with my opinion on a video game.