Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inkfish
Mar 1, 2015

Wamdoodle posted:

wtf why would a tree evolve to somehow become more than flammable

They have a bunch of little organs under the ground. When the trees canopy burns the organs sprout rapidly since the canopy has burned and there is lots of sunlight reaching the bush floor.

They also dormant buds under the bark that quickly sprout if the canopy is damaged. They also release seeds after fires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
poo poo's hosed. I live in Canberra and the sky has alternated from grey to brown for weeks. We have fires encroaching from every direction but north; if the western one jumps the mountains on Saturday (when the weather is going to be more dangerous than NYE) there's nothing but square kilometres of fuel too inaccessible to backburn between it and the city. We'd be wiped out. People here remember the last big fires we had back in 2003 that involved a literal fire tornado and everyone's on edge. The wife and kids are heading north to try and get some respite from the smoke; I'm staying in case work doesn't burn down on the weekend and to pack the pets and valuables and get ready to peel off if needed.

The worst part of this all is telling the kids that this is the new normal. They'll never have a white Christmas, but they're sure as hell going to get used to brown and black ones.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
fresh video of a fire truck burnover from the gospers mountain fire. this is one of the most insane yt vids ive seen in a long time

the fire front hits at about 2:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th2fih9QRIQ&t=161s

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Kharnifex posted:

I don't think anyone outside Oz really gives a gently caress

I'm outside of Australia and I'm significantly worried about the people there. Go gently caress yourself while the rest of humanity who isn't a poo poo tries to help.

What's the best way to get shipments of P2s to people?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

What's the best way to get shipments of P2s to people?

excellent question - probably the most common supplier is a large national chain of hardware stores called Bunnings. They've killed off most of their competition over the last decade or so and are owned by own of the two dominant supermarket chains so they have big economy of scale advantages, and in theory should have pretty deep stocks. AFAIK they haven't started rationing purchases yet.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/tools/safety-equipment-workwear/respirators-dust-masks

in terms of getting them where they need to go...transport links to the most affected areas are already cut, and deliveries are going to be a major issue.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Any chance you don't vote in another idiot fucker like Morrison next chance you get?

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Jose posted:

Any chance you don't vote in another idiot fucker like Morrison next chance you get?

depends how quick the boomers die, because they very much have their wrinkly rear end little hands around the steering wheel right now

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Jose posted:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Jose posted:

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

look, maybe. we haven't voted in the same prime minister twice for a while, but a lot of our top politicians are idiot fuckers

this is of course because a lot of australians are idiot fuckers

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

None whatsoever.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Good lord, this is one of the sickest footage I've ever seen. It's a literal hell.

Stay safe down under goons.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Jose posted:

Nah most of the dumb cunts who vote will forget about it between now and then given we had an election in May last year. If he does get booted before hand we get creepy darth vader as a leader and he's even less caring.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

thatbastardken posted:

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

look, maybe. we haven't voted in the same prime minister twice for a while, but a lot of our top politicians are idiot fuckers

this is of course because a lot of australians are idiot fuckers

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

i mean, there might be more fires between then and now.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I just hope Murdoch gets a little bit more money. By god he's suffering more than anybody

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

pls don't doxx me like this

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Jose posted:

Depends on the opposition entirely. They basically threw away the "unlosable election" by being a bunch of utter dumbfucks campaigning on the wrong policies and completely failing to connect with their constituency.

You know, kind of exactly like Clinton did.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I had a taxi driver in Sydney tell me that he voted abbot and Turnbull but he hates Turnbull because abbot was a oval office but you knew what he'd be a oval office about while Turnbull was an untrustworthy oval office

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
murdoch doesnt care about money at his age. all he wants is to leave the world shaped in his twisted evil little image and hes succeeding at it unfortunately

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Jose posted:

I had a taxi driver in Sydney tell me that he voted abbot and Turnbull but he hates Turnbull because abbot was a oval office but you knew what he'd be a oval office about while Turnbull was an untrustworthy oval office

Please do the needful, mods

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

linked image contains dead animal

https://twitter.com/NoahFen00903729/status/1212602762535456768

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Jose posted:

I mean he's not wrong with regards to his assessment.

MORE IMAGERY FROM THE ABC:

For context:

This image is of an 11 year old child piloting a boat containing his mother, brother and dog away from the fire.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 2, 2020

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

and of course it wouldn't be an australian tragedy without alcohol

https://twitter.com/makersmuse/status/1212624033092530176

edit: removed due to being unhelpful and possibly misinformation? whatever, it's late and i'm cranky

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 2, 2020

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Vulnerable persons are being air evac'd.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jan 2, 2020

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

thatbastardken posted:

oh turns out the navy can't evacuate you if you're in a wheelchair

https://twitter.com/katgallow/status/1212629765040922625

In theory you can send a disabled person up a MES but military ships aren't provisioned to cater for mass recovery from the water this way. I would expect that the shallow draught SLVs operating out of Freemantle and Port Adelaide will be sailing east shortly as they are far more viable as disaster relief vessels than whatever military ships are currently in the area. The other useful vessels are car ferries that can disembark to the beach like the Fraser Island ferry or some of Amity Trader's cargo ships. Sending a boat like that to melbourne will take a while though since their max operating speed is around 14kts.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
My least favourite news story of last year was about beekeepers going to check on their hives after bushfire and finding a charred forest echoing with the screams of seriously injured animals.

Think on that next time you read about forest or bush fires.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Gridlocked posted:

Vulnerable persons are being air evac'd.

the navy aren't doing it though

Byolante posted:

In theory you can send a disabled person up a MES but military ships aren't provisioned to cater for mass recovery from the water this way. I would expect that the shallow draught SLVs operating out of Freemantle and Port Adelaide will be sailing east shortly as they are far more viable as disaster relief vessels than whatever military ships are currently in the area. The other useful vessels are car ferries that can disembark to the beach like the Fraser Island ferry or some of Amity Trader's cargo ships. Sending a boat like that to melbourne will take a while though since their max operating speed is around 14kts.

yeah the Moreton and Straddie island car ferries could be used but it's a long loving sail

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

thatbastardken posted:

the navy aren't doing it though

If they're airlifting them it's just as easy to lift them out of the area and then over to a ground based transport than it is to put them on the boat anyway.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Gridlocked posted:

If they're airlifting them it's just as easy to lift them out of the area and then over to a ground based transport than it is to put them on the boat anyway.

Even if you could get PWDs onto the deck of a military ship good luck getting them through all the w/t doors with 600mm sills and 800-900mm clearance

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Wow, think of the long term impact this is going to have. Children scarred for life, people with asthma, copd and disabilities choking to death on a beach unable to get medical attention.
Babies too!
Even thinking about the sanitary conditions is scary.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wamdoodle posted:

wtf why would a tree evolve to somehow become more than flammable

Byolante posted:

Because the seeds will only grow if they get torched.

edit:

From here

https://blogs.unimelb.edu.au/sciencecommunication/2019/10/27/australian-trees-and-fire/

The seeds growing if they get torched is probably something that came about because of the fire strategy, not a root cause. The original reason was probably that encouraging fires was an evolutionary strategy that allowed the Eucalyptus to dominate Australia. Because it was initially able to recover more quickly from fire than competing trees, it was advantageous to encourage fires so that it could outcompete them, until eventually there were barely any forests of non-eucalyptus left.

Basically gum trees deliberately firebombed all the other trees out of existence.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 2, 2020

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Nap Ghost
if you can't take the heat get out of the

uh

world

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

The Real Amethyst posted:

Wow, think of the long term impact this is going to have. Children scarred for life, people with asthma, copd and disabilities choking to death on a beach unable to get medical attention.
Babies too!
Even thinking about the sanitary conditions is scary.

I am absolutely sure we're gonna have a lung cancer epidemic in a few years time from this

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Emphysema, probably. A lot of old people with the worst sort of fluid-filled cough.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Stuck for 24h by request. If mods not like, please unstick.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If ya can, donate. 176 homes gone and 7 dead in NSW alone, and counting up from here.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Spudd posted:

I am absolutely sure we're gonna have a lung cancer epidemic in a few years time from this

I think the smoke has to be specifically carcinogenic for there to be a legitimate cancer risk (not a doctor)

but theres always

goatface posted:

Emphysema, probably. A lot of old people with the worst sort of fluid-filled cough.

general lung damage to have fun with!

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Is Isaac okay

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
Is this situation similar to California fires and how decades of US fire management lead to overgrowth making fires even worse later on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gridlocked posted:

In retrospect I should have used the HOT thread tag

I can fix that. Really good op, op. Was wondering when we’d get a thread for this.