Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
i'm praying as hard as i can, hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

goatface posted:

Emphysema, probably. A lot of old people with the worst sort of fluid-filled cough.

At least it might kill all the boomers who voted for morrison

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

There'll probably be a lot of loud political handwaving after this if they dare to sit in Parliament at all this year. This is getting a lot of comfortable people literally where they live. True, that's more of an immediate issue for local and state politicians depending on election timing. The only thing that is a strong likelihood is that the non-major party vote will get stronger and the places that didn't burn will burn.

My 80yo dad lives in Goulburn, not far away enough from the fires and the smoke for my liking. At least he's not on his old farm further south which almost certainly will be burning.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

money's tight until pay day on the 15th but i will definitely be donating then

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
what i would look for in a prime minister is someone who wants good things to happen. and one who when bad things happen is gosh so sorry if youre unhappy about them but maybe this handshake will make you feel better. youre probably just tired though

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Are you enjoying the car show, OP?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Thank you for this thread, especially the up close & personal pictures/videos. "Out of sight, out of mind" is real (just like climate change), and there are tons of people outside of Australia & the surrounding areas who don't know about this crisis, don't care, or are simply unaware of its magnitude.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Sjs00 posted:

Is Isaac okay

He's ok. Angry lungs from the smoke since he's in Canberra/Canberra adjacent, but not ded.

Radirot posted:

Is this situation similar to California fires and how decades of US fire management lead to overgrowth making fires even worse later on?

Ehh I don't think so. While fire management can and should get more resources to help limit this sort of thing, we're a small population with a lot of extremely flammable stuff to burn. The biggest factor is the absurd heat and drought (even by Australian standards), both of which have been made worse by climate change.

It's a global problem with local effects.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66Yte03B3Lo

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Burt Sexual posted:

I can fix that. Really good op, op. Was wondering when we’d get a thread for this.

Thank you Burt.

As of yesterday evening two states, Victoria and New South Wales, have entered into States Of Emergency. Predictions indicate that tomorrow, Saturday the 4 of December, there will be a massive increase in fire inducive weather.

Just what we need.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
After reading the OP my analysis of the situation is that we should immediately buy every boomer on Earth a ticket to Canberra.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Always loving Crabb.
https://twitter.com/AndrewBartlett/status/1212716716179869696?s=19

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Let's just check out our bushfire warning sign to see how danger...... Oh

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Truly a man of the people

https://twitter.com/politicsabc/status/1212850865633017856

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sjs00 posted:

Is Isaac okay

All the cigarettes have been preparing me for this

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Isaac posted:

All the cigarettes have been preparing me for this

One, two, three, four

So let me set the scene
It's 2 in the afternoon and 100 degrees
The NSW bush fire heat
Had them hauling buckets of water
up and down their street
It was there I spotted the bloke
Perched atop of his cheap chair throne
He eyed me off as I approached
Then he said...

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I live in the northern suburbs of Adelaide which are usually untouched by bushfires and the like - however a grass fire at a local golf course had us mired in smoke and hosing down our roofs just in case. It's obviously nowhere near what people in the bush are facing but that's how ridiculous Australian conditions have gotten that a grass fire in the suburbs could get out of control.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
It's seems the people of Facebook have the answer

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Here's a satellite image of the Black Saturday fires from 2009, the worst bushfires Australia had seen prior to this Summer:

Compare that to the satellite image from the OP:

edit: I've scaled and overlaid the Black Saturday image onto the current image:

MaliciousOnion fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 2, 2020

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

This is Australia telling you "gently caress off we're full" and you should start listening to her

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Incredible to think that we've only lost a handful of people to these fires considering the Black Saturday ones killed just shy of 200 people

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Fortunately for us the cricket is about to start so we won't have to worry about the fires for another few days at least.

Aquatic Daredevil
May 17, 2009

:fap:take that robo-juice
I'm a bushfire helicopter crewman in northern NSW, we've been doing constant work since late August last year. The fires are mind bogglingly big, and we've had to divert assets south to the Vic border area, leaving northern NSW with a skeleton crew.

The fires up here are far from under control and will flare up again now that we're down to only few crews and aircraft to cover a huge area. Nothing to be done though, the current crisis area is the Vic/NSW border area. Not enough people, not enough aircraft, not enough water.

The company I work for contracts our fleet of aircraft to the RFS for fire bombing, FLIR camera work, and we also provide fuel trucks. Thus far, we've shifted well over a million litres of JetA1 in less than 6 months. Things are dire. Pilots, crew and refuellers are fatigued, machines are running low on serviceable hours.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Cricket should not be played under smoke, it will confuse the light meter.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Aquatic Daredevil posted:

I'm a bushfire helicopter crewman in northern NSW, we've been doing constant work since late August last year. The fires are mind bogglingly big, and we've had to divert assets south to the Vic border area, leaving northern NSW with a skeleton crew.

The fires up here are far from under control and will flare up again now that we're down to only few crews and aircraft to cover a huge area. Nothing to be done though, the current crisis area is the Vic/NSW border area. Not enough people, not enough aircraft, not enough water.

The company I work for contracts our fleet of aircraft to the RFS for fire bombing, FLIR camera work, and we also provide fuel trucks. Thus far, we've shifted well over a million litres of JetA1 in less than 6 months. Things are dire. Pilots, crew and refuellers are fatigued, machines are running low on serviceable hours.

Jesus dude, stay safe.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Kharnifex posted:

It's seems the people of Facebook have the answer

Ignition causes are sometimes arson, sometimes lightning, sometimes other things, but the ignition isn't the thing that actually makes these turn into massive bushfires. Climate Change didn't start the fires ergo it isn't related to them in any way. I am very smart.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Chucked in $100 to the CFA and $100 to the Bushfire appeal.

poo poo's hosed.

(Personally unaffected so far living in SE Melb... Hopefully stays that way. My parents were technically evacuated as they made their way back interstate but were never in any direct danger)

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Well, poo poo. That certainly puts my workplace whinges into perspective.

Take care of yourself. You are genuinely one of the heroes of the time.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

bell jar posted:

Incredible to think that we've only lost a handful of people to these fires considering the Black Saturday ones killed just shy of 200 people

Yeah but Black Saturday was like our 9/11. Before then people took a real "she'll be right" attitude, and would just stand on the roof with a garden hose expecting to stay and defend their property.

After Black Sat we learned not to gently caress around and now every bush property either has a fire bunker, or rock solid plans in place to evacuate well ahead of the fire front. Also planning laws have changed massively and any house built in a fire prone area needs to be BAL19 rated, which means fire resistant materials, mesh to protect from embers, etc.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

I hear it costs like $10K to send one of those helicopters up for an hour.. remember bill shorten getting grilled on the 'costings' of his climate policies by leigh sales et al :allears:

Aquatic Daredevil
May 17, 2009

Shut up Meg posted:

Well, poo poo. That certainly puts my workplace whinges into perspective.

Take care of yourself. You are genuinely one of the heroes of the time.

Negative, no hero here. The guys on the front line who haven't been paid for months, living in RFS tent cities eating poo poo processed ham on poo poo processed white cardboard bread are the heroes.

I drive fuel trucks, do aerial FLIR work, mapping, as well as aerial incendiary to backburn - aside from working long long hours and being away from home, I'm not sacrificing anything.

Slugnoid posted:

Yeah but Black Saturday was like our 9/11. Before then people took a real "she'll be right" attitude, and would just stand on the roof with a garden hose expecting to stay and defend their property.

After Black Sat we learned not to gently caress around and now every bush property either has a fire bunker, or rock solid plans in place to evacuate well ahead of the fire front. Also planning laws have changed massively and any house built in a fire prone area needs to be BAL19 rated, which means fire resistant materials, mesh to protect from embers, etc.

This is only partially true - until you've seen from the air how fast a bushfire will move, and how grass trees or tea trees explode - and I mean literally explode - it's impossible to visualise how dangerous these fires are. People don't get it, they think the fire front will go past quickly and just scorch a few things, or set some leaves on fire. I've seen temperatures on my FLIR camera above 600°C, days after the front has moved through. You can feel the heat of a fire front in the chopper at 300ft, I've seen dirt on fire. The ground is so dry it burns. You cannot run faster than a fire.

If you get told to evacuate, get the gently caress out. Luck is the only thing that will save you.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

https://twitter.com/USConGenSydney/status/1212857580428525569

https://twitter.com/USConGenSydney/status/1212853795954159616

Lots of Canadian firefighters are here too. Thanks!

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-dozens-of-canadian-fire-fighting-experts-on-ground-in-australia/

Helith fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 3, 2020

Aquatic Daredevil
May 17, 2009

Slugnoid posted:

I hear it costs like $10K to send one of those helicopters up for an hour.. remember bill shorten getting grilled on the 'costings' of his climate policies by leigh sales et al :allears:

A Bell 206 doing air attack or mapping is generally charged out at about 4-5k per hour. A Huey or a BK117 are up around 8-10k. On average we spend about 9-10 hours airborne per day, and the company I work for operates about 12 helicopters and 3 fixed wing. We're running 85% of our fleet every day, and has been that way since August. Our 5 trucks carry an average of 18000L of jet fuel, and have been travelling from fire to fire since day 1. Our pilots and crew run out of hours, we legally can't work indefinitely, so we've employed numerous contract pilots and drivers to cover a rotating roster. The cost is phenomenal.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

A Bell 206 doing air attack or mapping is generally charged out at about 4-5k per hour. A Huey or a BK117 are up around 8-10k. On average we spend about 9-10 hours airborne per day, and the company I work for operates about 12 helicopters and 3 fixed wing. We're running 85% of our fleet every day, and has been that way since August. Our 5 trucks carry an average of 18000L of jet fuel, and have been travelling from fire to fire since day 1. Our pilots and crew run out of hours, we legally can't work indefinitely, so we've employed numerous contract pilots and drivers to cover a rotating roster. The cost is phenomenal.

Not to sound bad, but are there companies that gouge? Also, is looting and general lawlessness an issue in areas now? Or is all just burnt to gently caress.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Good Luck, Aussies. :australia:

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Burt Sexual posted:

Not to sound bad, but are there companies that gouge? Also, is looting and general lawlessness an issue in areas now? Or is all just burnt to gently caress.

Local supermarkets have been boarded up in affected areas to stop people from looting food and water, but I think that the affected areas are too sparsely populated to have any serious looting going on. Mostly it's all just burned to gently caress and people are coming together to help each other out.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

This is Australia's Chernobyl

Aquatic Daredevil
May 17, 2009

Burt Sexual posted:

It's a fair question, and its a complex industry. NSW RFS own 3 helicopters, 2 of which are piloted by contractors. Everything else is contracted. We submit a tender to an organisation called NAFC, which will then assess our capablities and costs and decide to accept or decline. You can't just rock up in your AS350 and send the government an invoice. There are no doubt some shonky contractors, but on the whole, we're working long and hard to help. I average a 12-13 hour day, and I worked Christmas day and New year's eve, staying in a hotel away from home. Most of our company do the same. I like to think most operators are honest.

As for looting, sadly, yes. We've had helicopters damaged and avionics stolen from secure airfields overnight. The RFS have had depots broken into and firefighting gear stolen. It's shameful.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

gently caress climate change. gently caress Scomo. Threw some money to the CFS this morning.

I'm in the Adelaide CBD so the biggest inconvenience I've had to face is hazy air reeking of smoke here and there and I'm pissing off overseas in two weeks anyway. Reading through the news this morning and getting updates coming in from mates in NSW and VIC make me realise how supremely loving lucky and privileged I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Burt Sexual posted:

Looking at previous bushfires, there have been a few prosecutions made for looting offences, but like bell jar said, these areas are remote and sparsely populated.