Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

bell jar posted:

looks like jbp's perch futures are gonna go through the roof

just buy perch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Ok hello thread. As has been stated the bushfire "season" (if season is still the right word) is effectively over. Emergency services organisations are declaring it subsided and I believe that means the thread maybe reaching the end of its life.

Unfortunately right now isn't a good time for me to do a proper effort post as I am, somewhat ironically, on my phone posting as I am supposed to be getting ready for my very belated SES Christmas party (which was delayed due to everyone working on fires). I will have a talk to the kind GBS mods who are keeping the thread sticked about what future plans are for the thread.

I do promise to take the time to do up a proper thank you to all the goons who helped spread the message about the fires and to those who have donated to help our besieged country.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Gridlocked posted:

I will have a talk to the kind GBS mods who are keeping the thread sticked about what future plans are for the thread.

Turn it into the global climate crisis thread. Have it travel the world to document things burning/drowning/freezing.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I would be completely happy with other countries sharing how they have been owned by nature due to encroaching ratfuck climate stuff, California seems to burn down and need a gbs thread about it every year, let those weird perverts post about it here

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I also called the local dude who looks after orphaned joeys bc a wee fella has been hanging around solo without a Mum or a mob and he came out and gave him a look over but also he said wildcare are poo poo at actually getting you qualified as a carer so he’s gonna mentor me to look after native stuff and help me get the certs I need, top oval office

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I would be completely happy with other countries sharing how they have been owned by nature due to encroaching ratfuck climate stuff, California seems to burn down and need a gbs thread about it every year, let those weird perverts post about it here

A lot more lowkey, but many forests in central europe are dying slowly because ground water levels have been decreasing steadily over the last few years. It's not hot and dry enough to start massive fires, but the sudden change of conditions is harsh on our water-guzzling plants.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I also called the local dude who looks after orphaned joeys bc a wee fella has been hanging around solo without a Mum or a mob and he came out and gave him a look over but also he said wildcare are poo poo at actually getting you qualified as a carer so he’s gonna mentor me to look after native stuff and help me get the certs I need, top oval office

Eyyy that's great :thumbsup:

My mother was a wildlife carer when I was a kid, before you know it you'll have your alarm set to go off every 2 hours every night so you can wipe a baby marsupial's rear end and make it go potty (they can't do it on their own when they're really young)

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I’m sorry I used the bad word btw Burt, I genuinely bought that second post was in ausgbs but I’ll eat a sixer for it if anyone reports me or you see this

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Honj Steak posted:

A lot more lowkey, but many forests in central europe are dying slowly because ground water levels have been decreasing steadily over the last few years. It's not hot and dry enough to start massive fires, but the sudden change of conditions is harsh on our water-guzzling plants.
Siberia's on fire every year.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Gridlocked posted:

Ok hello thread. As has been stated the bushfire "season" (if season is still the right word) is effectively over. Emergency services organisations are declaring it subsided and I believe that means the thread maybe reaching the end of its life.

Unfortunately right now isn't a good time for me to do a proper effort post as I am, somewhat ironically, on my phone posting as I am supposed to be getting ready for my very belated SES Christmas party (which was delayed due to everyone working on fires). I will have a talk to the kind GBS mods who are keeping the thread sticked about what future plans are for the thread.

I do promise to take the time to do up a proper thank you to all the goons who helped spread the message about the fires and to those who have donated to help our besieged country.

To quote ACDC.

We salute you.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It's cool, the World Bank is here to help!
https://twitter.com/WorldBankSAsia/status/1227865071164022784?s=20

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I’m sorry I used the bad word btw Burt, I genuinely bought that second post was in ausgbs but I’ll eat a sixer for it if anyone reports me or you see this

I think you're allowed to say "oval office" in GBS.

Not sure.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

[USA style hooting] C. I. A, C. I. A

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Feb 15, 2020

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

[Aussie style hooting] Bhutan Bhutan Bhutan

C I A

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

There’s probably two directions this could go if we wanted to keep this thread going:
1. Keep it about bushfires/wildfires as now that the season is wrapping up in the Southern Hemisphere it will start up in the Northern soon enough and we can cover Europe, USA, Canada, Siberia, wherever is burning, (we can have year round coverage :unsmith: )
or
2.We keep the thread about Australian climate fuckery, the response, recovery and politics about climate change in this country.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Helith posted:

There’s probably two directions this could go if we wanted to keep this thread going:
1. Keep it about bushfires/wildfires as now that the season is wrapping up in the Southern Hemisphere it will start up in the Northern soon enough and we can cover Europe, USA, Canada, Siberia, wherever is burning, (we can have year round coverage :unsmith: )
or
2.We keep the thread about Australian climate fuckery, the response, recovery and politics about climate change in this country.

A nearly identical problem swept across a vast swath of Southern Africa and no one gave a poo poo so I assume ... The former

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

:thumbsup:

righteous

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Helith posted:

or

3. Whatever the current climate change-related disaster is, anywhere

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

The Peccadillo posted:

A nearly identical problem swept across a vast swath of Southern Africa and no one gave a poo poo so I assume ... The former

More detail please.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Bhuuuuuutanese passport

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

https://twitter.com/GuardianAus/status/1228764684590993408

This is my MP, good to see at least one Liberal calling out Scotty from Marketing's government on their climate inaction.
I hadn't rated Trent very highly before now as he votes in line with the govt on everything except gay rights, so it's great to see him stand up on this issue as well. I suspect he's had a lot of noise from his constituents and there are booths here that get a lot of Greens votes.

https://twitter.com/murpharoo/status/1228797867906629632

Helith fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 16, 2020

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

this rules, you are going to have so much fun :3:

i've tried getting into wildlife caring but wildlife organisations are kind of a hotbed of crazy people. dedicated, heroic crazy people, but

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

hallelujah posted:

this rules, you are going to have so much fun :3:

i've tried getting into wildlife caring but wildlife organisations are kind of a hotbed of crazy people. dedicated, heroic crazy people, but

How big of a fishtank to keep a platypus?

I be thinking they can't live in "black porridge" (our rivers).

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Blow posted:

You'll need some thick gloves as well, their venom won't kill you but the pain is so excruciating it'll incapacitate you for up to several months (and is morphine resistant!) and may have ongoing effects that last several decades.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platypus_venom

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Man, gently caress these cunts.

Face mask supplier referred to ACCC over 'opportunistic' 1500% mark-up

quote:

Frustrated pharmacists have complained to the competition regulator after a major supplier of P2 face masks increased their wholesale price from $2.50 to $38.50 per unit, amid increased demand following the bushfires and coronavirus outbreak.

Pharmacy Guild Victorian president Anthony Tassone referred the issue to the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission last week, accusing Livingstone Pty Ltd of "being opportunistic in significantly increasing the prices of their goods during a public health scare to maximise profit and price gouge customers."

And anyone scalping face masks for a profit can get hosed too.

Memento fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Feb 16, 2020

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

You'll need some thick gloves as well, their venom won't kill you but the pain is so excruciating it'll incapacitate you for up to several months (and is morphine resistant!) and may have ongoing effects that last several decades.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platypus_venom

gently caress me.

"The different chemicals in the venom have a range of effects from lowering blood pressure to causing pain and increasing blood flow around the wound. Coagulating effects have been seen during experiments on laboratory animals, but this has not been observed consistently. Unlike snake venom, there appears to be no necrotising component in the platypus's venom – although some muscle wastage has been observed in cases of envenomation in humans, it is likely that this is due to the inability to use the limb while the effects of the venom persist. It is unknown whether the pain caused is a result of the associated edema around the wound or whether the venom has a component that acts directly on the pain receptors."

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

And this used to be a regular component of mammalian anatomy.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i have been seeing an exponential day-by-day increase in my backyard locust population

Blow posted:

I be thinking they can't live in "black porridge" (our rivers).

platypus are apparently pretty challenging to rehabilitate for just that reason, you need a commercial aquarium-sized tank to let them move around enough but those cost tens of thousands of dollars. i think most of them are taken in by the zoos (to be released eventually, most of the wildlife vets at zoos moonlight in wildlife rehab). but they rarely come into care because they don't end up lying by the road or in someone's backyard when they're sick or hurt, they just crawl back into their burrows or sink to the bottom of the creek and die :(

and yeah they're hosed in our current river system. they won't choke on the ash like fish, but it will poison them, they can't echolocate in it, and all their main prey species (crustaceans, worms, frogs) are dead. they're going to go extinct across a huge part of their former range and nobody will really notice

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

hallelujah posted:

i have been seeing an exponential day-by-day increase in my backyard locust population

platypus are apparently pretty challenging to rehabilitate for just that reason, you need a commercial aquarium-sized tank to let them move around enough but those cost tens of thousands of dollars. i think most of them are taken in by the zoos (to be released eventually, most of the wildlife vets at zoos moonlight in wildlife rehab). but they rarely come into care because they don't end up lying by the road or in someone's backyard when they're sick or hurt, they just crawl back into their burrows or sink to the bottom of the creek and die :(

and yeah they're hosed in our current river system. they won't choke on the ash like fish, but it will poison them, they can't echolocate in it, and all their main prey species (crustaceans, worms, frogs) are dead. they're going to go extinct across a huge part of their former range and nobody will really notice

#savetheplatypus

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Donated $30 to Red Cross, $150AUD to Wombats, $80 to Koalas, $55 to firefighters.

Good luck.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 17, 2020

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Oh God the hero firefighter from Nelligen got milkshake ducked.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Oh God the hero firefighter from Nelligen got milkshake ducked.

He said he was a Pauline Hanson fan (which is pretty hosed) but is there anything more to it than that?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

He said he was a Pauline Hanson fan (which is pretty hosed) but is there anything more to it than that?

Just being a Pauline Hanson fan and thinking she's the only one who can save Australia is pretty hosed as our Pauline and One Nation is racist as gently caress.

Gatts posted:

Donated $30 to Red Cross, $150AUD to Wombats, $80 to Koalas, $55 to firefighters.

Good luck.

Good on ya Gatts and thank you!

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Yeah but there's this sneering tone taken by some centrists/mid-right who are like "DO YOU LOVE YOU GOD NOW LEFTIES" and it's like, it wasn't his overall position, it was the act of telling the PM to get hosed. He didn't say "gently caress the PM and deport all the Muslamics" so it's kind of bullshit.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Bear in mind the weirdos crowing about how a dude in a rural area supports Hanson or whatever are the same djckheads saying politics is too tribal and people are unwilling to talk across the left-ride divide so it’s extra inane and dumb not-news

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
Yeah is it really so surprising a rural resident who feels hard done by the powers that be(political establishment) finds them self interested in the only notable 'populist' leader we have

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Other posted:

Yeah is it really so surprising a rural resident who feels hard done by the powers that be(political establishment) finds them self interested in the only notable 'populist' leader we have

No, it's not surprising to see the disaffected turn to racism, but it's still disappointing.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Bear in mind the weirdos crowing about how a dude in a rural area supports Hanson or whatever are the same djckheads saying politics is too tribal and people are unwilling to talk across the left-ride divide so it’s extra inane and dumb not-news

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Maybe wanting to tell Scotty to go get hosed is something that spans the political divide from One Nation supporting racists to hippies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Varkk posted:

Maybe wanting to tell Scotty to go get hosed is something that spans the political divide from One Nation supporting racists to hippies?

Well yeah, as a nation we can all come together in telling Scotty from marketing to go and get hosed.
It's the one thing that can unite us.
However I'm also going to tell Pauline Hanson, Fraser Anning and Clive Palmer to get hosed too.