Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy
Much of the appeal of the Chili Bowl is that it's a mix of drivers unlike any other race in existence. NASCAR, Indycar, USAC, World of Outlaws, NHRA, and late model racers are all represented, not to mention local racers from all over the country. While the mega teams still dominate, the small track levels the playing field a bit, so the guy who keeps an old midget around to run once a year at the Chili Bowl still has a chance. A guy won a heat race a couple years back with a $400 junkyard motor out of a Cobalt, for example. The rulebook is notoriously thin, so there's room for one-off's and innovation, so you'll occasionally have someone show up with a bike tire or ski on the left front, or a top-fuel style rollcage, or run practice in a t-shirt and open-face helmet. The racing is also generally fantastic, and from what I gather it's a weeklong party. I've never been, but it's a bucket list race to attend, even if just for a couple qualifying nights. The hype has really exploded the past few years, but what's not to love about a field of 350+ cars doing battle in the middle of winter on a tiny, racy track where literally anybody could be in the next race?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I realize I implied i was going. Sprint cars and racing are amazing, it's just not a world that easy to get into, so i was wondering what y'all thought. Really wish I could go, but it's too far away these days.

Seriously if you're interested in this stuff at all, go check out your local track next summer. I'm biased as hell since I've been involved in dirt racing my entire life, but nothing beats a good short track race. Guys who are racing because they really want to race, wheeling cars they likely built and fund themselves. Some tracks are run like poo poo, and sometimes you get unlucky and it's a bad race, but when you hear IndyCar or NASCAR fans recalling the "good old days", that poo poo is still happening weekly at short tracks all over the country. Go check it out!

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy

kidcoelacanth posted:

turn right don yess

Do it fer Dale!

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy
Watching a replay of the Chili Bowl at least until the impeached racist is done with his bullshit

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy
And Joey wrecks Keselowski, should be a fun interview

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy
A cheaper setup will work fine, I've been running an old Driving Force GT since I started and manage to do ok. Plenty of super fast guys running G27's, and I've run into plenty of guys with $1000+ setups that can't get out of their own way.

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy
iRacing thread

What IGA said is pretty much spot on. Spend time practicing and worry about avoiding incidents more so than pace for now. Especially now, there's tons of free content, so make sure and try all the disciplines, I joined for oval and run mostly road races now.

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy

skaboomizzy posted:

Somewhere around I think I still have the Lake Speed #9 SPAM car.

My #9 Lake Speed car is more pathetic than yours!
My wife's a Husker fan, and this was in the bargain bin at a race a few years back. Couldn't pass it up.

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy

CBJSprague24 posted:

It's only pathetic until you realize it's a bit of a collector's item. Nebraska signed on to sponsor the 9 car only to back out of the deal which, if you watch any races from 1997, explains why the car is almost always blank.

I remember when the deal was announced, and never looked into the backstory as to what killed it. A quick google suggests that possibly the NCAA didn't like mixing college athletics with a pro sport, though the source for that was a diecast site, so who knows. I am surprised at what it the asking price on ebay is for one, considering I think I paid $5, but as a Nebraskan I understand that if you slap Huskers on anything some dumbass will pay for it, not to mention the collectible value of a diecast of a never-raced car.

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy
Hey, a local track I occasionally race at made ESPN! :suicide:
https://www.espn.com/auto/story/_/id/29080138/south-dakota-dirt-track-race-700-fans-grandstands
Of course, there's a major outbreak in Sioux Falls 45 minutes away, but nah, let's race.

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy
That's out of left field, I wasn't even sure if that track still existed. Hopefully it's a placeholder date the fairgrounds can take over, lol yeah right this is NASCAR, we can't have fun things.

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy
Does Jeff even have any real ownership stake in the car, or is he the "owner" on paper for NASCAR purposes? I remember entry lists used to be full of cars "owned" by the owner's wife or kids.

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy
So am I the only one that finds it odd that the trucks are running Knoxville, when Iowa Speedway is literally 30 miles up the highway sitting idle? I just don't see the logic in moving the race from Eldora to Knoxville when NASCAR owns an unused short track in the Des Moines market.

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy
FYI, Chili Bowl is live right now for free on lucasoilracing.tv app and the Mavtv facebook page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy
1990 Daytona 500 champ Derrike Cope is back!