Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Would love a Bubba or Bowyer win here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

A pillar/roof hit on the second hit right? That’s bad and I hope he’s ok. I like racing and I don’t want to relive 2001.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Rip Testes posted:

Me neither and it's clear everyone is worried about a repeat of 2001.

I feel dumb for saying something about reliving 2001, wasn’t even trying to be an idiot about that. I don’t want to see any of these guys get hurt, at any level. Racing is fun and cool.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I know nothing about NASCAR or crash procedure. Is that standard for bad crashes or is it real, real bad?

Bad, like tarp over a highway crash bad. Hopefully it was just precautionary and he’s ok.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Mahoning posted:

It was a different media environment obviously, and it happened in a different part of the track where there were no stands.

But someone correct me if I’m wrong, didnt they just take Dale Earnhardt to the hospital as a formality? Like he died on impact and it was VERY obvious to the first responders, right?

They responded to the crash and immediately started removing/cutting the roof off. I think there is video of them starting to remove the roof while Schrader is still wandering around his car. Basically yanked Dale out of the car onto a stretcher into the ambulance. They didn’t pronounce him until Halifax IIRC, but I think he was DOA.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I don't think you can officially pronounce someone dead without a medical professional present, right? Or can cops and firefighters also do it?

Requires a medical examiner or doctor according to my medical examiner neighbor.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

CactusWeasle posted:

Something I noticed - on Friday night, Ty Majeski flipped on his roof and they spent quite a while talking to him, and many minutes to slowly turn the truck back over.

Last night, they had Newman's car back on its wheels very, very quickly. Honestly don't know how to read that - if anything - but it was curious.

Not an EMT but, Newman could have been unconscious or something which expedited things on the track. Majeski was probably alert and talking and indicating he was fine and not injured so they took their time getting him upright.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Now I want to simrace for the first time since NR2003.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

What wheel/pedal setup do you guys use? I haven’t swim raced in 15 years but I kinda want to now. Thinking of just buying a $200 Thrustmaster set and giving it a shot with iracing. Need to make sure I get an Xbox compatible wheel so I can play Forza too.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Signed up for iRacing tonight. Holy poo poo I got a lot of work to do. This ain’t NR2003. That said, I couldn’t do cockpit view back then but it’s not that bad in iRacing.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I spent a decent amount of time tonight in my first hours running street stock and legends on ovals like Thompson and South Boston, just to get the feeling down, rebuild the muscle memory with braking and throttle control and dial in my settings which are so loving far off.

I plan to spend a week or so just doing solo practice sessions to re-acclimate myself. Not in a rush to race yet but I will probably join one tomorrow because what the hell.

Need to get my wheel settings dialed in, it feels like I can’t steer worth a poo poo. Braking too seems odd.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Glad NASCAR made these changes, about time. I’ve been calling out racists in the Facebook group for my local track (Wall Stadium in NJ) and it feels good. This one prick keeps making jokes about ribs and not having dollar rib night and I call him out and got him banned from the group.

He’s been involved with this track for like 40 years LOL.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

9 laps in of NBC coverage and I already miss the FOX scoring pylon on the side of the screen.

E: and now NBC has it. Much better than the top one.

Douchebag fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 4, 2020

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Ungratek posted:

Bring back Bestwick. Dump Allen (and Jeff burton)

Yeah this. NBC has too many people talking too much saying the same drat poo poo every lap. Bring back Bestwick and pair him with Junior (Letarte and Burton suck).

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

mischief posted:

Bestwick and Junyer would be amazing. I like Letarte's enthusiasm, personally. Having him and Dale call races is like listening to two kids watch their favorite sport.

Burton is just tepid, but I do like the South Boston accent wherever we can get it on TV.

Too many voices in the booth though, 4 is way too many. They end up saying the same thing the other guy just said about something handling related.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

shyduck posted:

ARCA about the race the road course at night in the rain

I’ve watched a lot of ARCA this year, I enjoy the short tracks they go to and I’m intrigued by Deegan, I think she ends up in an Xfinity ride if not next year than in 2 years.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

gently caress Hamlin

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Bowyer, Gordon, Joy will be a good booth I think.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

iwentdoodie posted:

Remove Joy and I agree.

But fox still sucks. So does NBC, but fox still somehow manages to be worse.

Mike Joy is fine, he’s been around forever and knows how to call a race and let a situation breathe when necessary. He’s actually been better since DW left.

NBC has too many people talking all the time. Burton and Letarte need to go I think, let it be Allen and Junior and it’s a solid booth.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Ungratek posted:

This works except Bestwick instead of Allen.

Joy is fine and Bowyer will be ok I think. Gordon is like listening to paint dry.

Oh god yes bring back Bestwick, agreed.

Gordon will be much better with Bowyer. They had some pretty good chemistry during the iRacing phase of this year when Bowyer was on a sim in the studio. Gordon alone with Joy was pretty dry at times.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

What if they went to a system of:

Win during the “regular” season: you make the playoffs.

Win during the playoffs: you make the championship race.

Points can round out the rest with a cap set for the championship race at playoff winners plus 4 best in points or something.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Vasukhani posted:

Here's an idea. Each finishing position gives a certain number of championshipchits or "points" and then who ever has the most of these "points" at the end of the season wins.

I much prefer the old/original points championship because it rewarded a driver for their performance over an entire season. I know Kenseth broke this with his lovely one win season and we all hated it and thus we got the chase, but I still feel like the old way was better.

The current playoffs are exciting from an entertainment perspective sure, but Harvick should be in the final race. Dude had a career year. So again, if you make the playoffs and win in the playoffs you should be in the championship race. If that means Phoenix has 7 guys eligible so be it.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

GD_American posted:

Building a Christmas list. If you guys could get one diecast of a historical car, which one would you, either with the coolest paintjob, coolest driver, or best story?

Kulwicki’s Hooters Underbird
Earnhardt’s 98 Daytona 500 winner
Dale Jr’s Coke 400 Daytona winner with the donut on the side
Daley Allison’s 92 Daytona 500 car

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I was watching and it went on for almost a lap and a half. He brought up her first miscarriage earlier this year, tried to frame it as inspiration for Chase then he mentioned she miscarried again a few weeks ago followed by On the bright side he’s got a cup ride. I hope this is the catalyst that brings Bestwick back to the NBC booth.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Bestwick and Jr. That’s all NBC needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

The Waltrip brothers are really great to listen to when they are not in their dumb loving TV schtick mode.