Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Just watched the replay, reaction from the guys on the scene was not good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

That is the worst possible hit in a modern cup car. Upside down so the door reinforcement and foam is not in play, driver side, after the cage has already been deformed by a prior hit.

There is no god, no magic, no karma, no afterlife, no cosmic justice. Sometimes poo poo just happens and thats it.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

They won't say anything if he is unconscious.

But frankly, as someone who has seen fatal wrecks in person way too many times like a lot of yall, you know it when you see it. But maybe im wrong.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I hate Ryan Newman as a human being but happy hes not tits up yet.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Thats fuckin insane

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1235684723432853504

https://twitter.com/DrunkBrianF/status/1235623944843116552

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

drivers busting "track limits" rocks in all cirucmstances. if you dont want em driving out there, make it grass. thats the track owners problem... so in NASCAR, thats nearly always NASCARs problem. trying to use rules to keep people from going out there is dumb and bad.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

dennyk posted:

Then it becomes a safety issue. Paved run-off areas are much safer than grass, so ideally you'd like as much pavement as possible for drivers to be able to use to slow their cars or avoid obstacles in the track in an emergency without losing control, but that doesn't necessarily mean you want drivers to just be able to drive anywhere there's pavement at any time. Other series set and enforce track limit rules consistently even on tracks with large paved runoff areas, so there's no reason NASCAR couldn't do it in theory (though history suggests they would probably have a hard time with the "consistently" bit...).

but those rules are dumb and bad. put astroturf out there or sausage curbs, whatever, doesnt have to be grass. its fun to see drivers push the limits of the track and step over them sometimes in the pursuit of a pass. racing is supposed to be fun. a 400 page rule book including track limit violations and other dogshit is not fun.

also i personally think the paved run off safety thing is overblown.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 10, 2020

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

most racing fans are virus denying morons so i say let em race. we can use the boomer corpses to build seawalls.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

big nipples big life posted:

can we not wish death on political enemies in sports threads?

Virus denying morons is not a political thing, it’s mostly an age thing as far as I can tell

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Proud Christian Mom posted:

thats still how many people working in close proximity for how long lmao

there is 1,600 people in my work building and everyone is still here, so...

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

That was legitimately very fun.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Spaced God posted:

https://twitter.com/JennaFryer/status/1242551501731573760
If this lasts the 3+ months they're saying this will I genuinely will be surprised if this isn't the last few seasons for NASCAR

Forbes estimates that the France family is worth $5.7 billion by the way.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

CBJSprague24 posted:

I couldn't help but notice the subtle fact that they're using what's basically NBC's graphics package on a FOX broadcast.

It's iRacing's graphics they are using with a Fox logo posted over it, ha. Indycar used the same ones on Sat.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

deleted lol, was it clearly him? what a fuckin idiot

e: just saw a mirror from newgarden's stream, yup. dipshit.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 13, 2020

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Mel Mudkiper posted:

didn't Kyle Larson rise through the ranks as a part of NASCAR's special diversity initiative too?

The irony cherry

yeah, although to be fair that was mostly "NASCAR used him being half japanese to try to score points and sponsors" sort of thing. i dont think it did anything for his career.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/KyleLarsonRacin/status/1249732388625752065

the apology is bad!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/iRacing/status/1249744583040348167

the replies are somehow worse than expected

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

IOwnCalculus posted:

Also, the more I think about it, the more I'm upset about everyone pulling down their copies of the stream.

Newgarden's stream recording on youtube has a very convenient few minutes missing, lol

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Kenseth to replace Larson. Dang, chip.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

skaboomizzy posted:

I really don't see how they can do this safely.

The owners don't care about that at all.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

mischief posted:

UFC and stock cars back on the same weekend.

to be fair, those two fanbases were dying off on their own before they end up catching covid

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

big nipples big life posted:

If they do go to short races I think they should dump impound weekends, let the teams go all out in quals because it's going to matter a lot more.

Some of the early races are gonna be one day shows, so no impound anyway!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Vando posted:

Rockingham's been in for years.

Maybe he means Rockingham in the UK, which I agree would kick rear end and i hope it gets done

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

its good when bad things happen to elliott imo

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://racer.com/2020/06/16/davison-to-make-cup-debut-at-talladega/

quote:

“I am excited to make my NASCAR Cup Series debut at Talladega,” said Davison. “With no practice or qualifying, it will be the first time I will have driven a stock car on an oval when I take the green flag. A unique situation, but one I’m OK with.

:pwn:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i thought the race was entertaining, yall are weird

goodyear can eat my rear end hole though

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

They installed lightning now. Just a few years ago the infield was pitch fuckin black at night, not a single stand light around. You can see all the new lights in this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIyANOpvfRo

e: prolly still not bright enough to race without headlights though?

Cygni fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 9, 2020

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

NASCAR..... good??

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

brendog posted:

Hi all i've lurked around here long enough to get around to asking a (off-topic) question- does it bother anyone else that Jeff Gordon is in the booth for fox, conflict-of-interest wise? from the broadcasts i've seen he has been evenhanded but, like, how does one both partially own a team and be a main commentator at the same time? i like Jeff but just askin'

I think my take would be that hes just commentating, hes not working in race control and determining penalties on track and such. So i guess the worst someone could do is steer TV attention towards the car they have a financial interest in, but at least in Jeff's case, he seems to very rarely bring up the #48 unless someone does first. At least from what I've picked up on.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

im just watchin the T&S and onboards and it appears that this here is a certified woopin®

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

That rocked, two first time winners today in the only two races that count. Racing is cool.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Beachbum30 posted:

all f you who give me poo poo are the worst racists

read

https://research.msu.edu/the-truth-behind-racial-disparties-in-fatal-police-shootings/

im sure all you assholes will tear that apart but facts are facts dummies

bullets

good poo poo dude keep posting!!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

maybe all his health problems were her feeding him crushed up glass or something

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Didn’t watch the race but just saw a clip of the lights, how did NASCAR manage to gently caress up that easy slam dunk wth

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Did you misread my post or something? Both races were on the same weekend last year ;)

...what?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

is having your brain installed backwards a prerequisite for being an f1 fan or somethin

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

chaos is what makes racing good not bad. i know the teams and drivers hate that reality but they are clowns that dance for my amusement not the other way around.

nascar should fund a car for the local short track champion guy at every race, but they should not let him have any practice. also he isnt allowed to park, he has to keep racing until the car physically cannot move anymore. also they should fund a car for the local guy in last place at the short track that still shows up every week. he/she should be given the 48 and all equipment/personnel for the weekend.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

CactusWeasle posted:

Can I race in the Cup series? My credentials are here in this briefcase full of money.

literally yes, i mean thats what most racecar series started as/still are underneath it all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

NASCAR 2020: your’e a piece of poo poo gently caress boy