Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I watched Dragon Fist, ova adaptation of a long running shoujo martial arts series. Although ostensibly about a dragon who travels from his secret home in China to Japan to learn how to be a good ruler, this ova covered a storyline about highschoolers that cloned each other. I could see myself enjoying this if it had been a series with more time to pad the extreme melodrama but it felt like a best of runthrough of an entire arc. The soundtrack is good, done by Kenji Kawai, although interestingly it's not the same soundtrack he released as an image album for the manga before the OVA, although all the tracks are very similar! Very interesting. It also has some decent visuals and transitions sometimes, the animation is bad the rest of the time. I give it a 5 but only because it got an extra point for having the bad highschooler smoke cigarettes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

GorfZaplen posted:

On-Gaku. A true gem of a movie, one of the most original animated films I've seen in a long time. It's been almost two years since I last attended a live music show and this captured the energy and more, it was a great reminder of what I love about music and why I continue to practice it. It's a very funny movie with a dry sense of humor and ear for naturalistic dialog that is rare in anime. The finale is one of the most electric animated sequences I've ever seen.

This has cred, especially compared to the other anime about indie music I watched this year, To-Y, which was about a punk band but had an entirely pop music ost.

This was very good, thanks for hosting about it.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Watched Jigokudou Reikai Tsuushin, 90s OVA about kids who get involved with a spooky old man who helps them hunt ghosts. The art in this is very unique, almost reminds me of early Klasky Csupo with heavier lines and sketchier style. Very good at building a mood with backgrounds and art style, less so with the languorous pacing. There are two stories here, the second being better than the first in my opinion. This is evidently based on a long series of books about ghost hunting children and it definitely has a kid's book vibe to it that kept me from being fully immersed in the art. Definitely worth checking out if you value interesting art styles but if you want a good story or compelling vibes look elsewhere.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

This was very good, thanks for hosting about it.

Glad you enjoyed it :cheers:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Another year another film festival

First one, the town of headcounts. Wait thats not anime, next

Pompo the Cinephile understands two very important things about cinema. First that the average viewer is a loving moron and as long as they get serviced they will enjoy the film, secondly that movies are too drat long and 90 minutes is enough.

Before the movie started the festival owner mumbled he saw many references to a certain director, whose name I did not manage to hear, in the film, so throughout the entire film I kept my eyes open for which director it could be, I spotted mostly western film references, a bit of Basic Instinct, many B movie shlock references and a few Evangelion references. After the movie i walked up to him to ask who he was talking about and he mentioned Satoshi Kon (only understood him after asking 3 times, terrible pronunciation). Personally did not see many references to him in particular but all the western reviews mention him so maybe there’s something to it. Or they’re all talking out of their asses, also very possible.

Anyway to get back to the film, if you enjoy screen wipes or fun camerawork there’s enough to enjoy here and it even had funny jokes. The symbolism employed in portraying the power of the cute anime coded characters (Pompo and Natalie, with Gene making up the barrier between east and west) both working together with and showing the western coded characters how to enjoy film kept me enthralled. Its not a particularly deep film, but an enjoyable one. 8

The Deer King is a film that is longer then 90 minutes. It often feels like a bit of a slog as it works through adapting 2 novels worth of story in 110 minutes, leaving little time to build attachment to its characters, but enough for me to nod off were it not my friend who kept complaining about smelling soup. I didn’t smell any soup. I think it would have worked a lot better as an old school anime series of more then 24 episodes, as the shortcuts they take to fit the content of the books in there leaves very little mystery to its mysteries. To name an example || there is a mysterious disease plaguing one group of people but not another. A person of that group mentions they do not drink milk in their culture. Soon after a doctor wonders why only that group is struck by disease, I whispered milk to my friend and obviously got proven right after another hour of film||.

Visually it was fine, looked good as expected from Ghibli alumni but the direction wasn’t exactly exciting. It made for a rather dry affair and I left being not at all that entertained although I found myself contemplating how I could easily write an article about how the movie promotes imperialism, colonialism and all that if I were more bored then I am. 5

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
So what kind of soup was it or does all soup smell the same

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

it was cup a soup iirc, but as i said i didnt smell it myself

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So I'm in a movie group with some friends, and I'm definitely the only one who watches much (or any) animated stuff. My pick is coming up and I'm wondering if there's anything in streaming platforms I should look for.

Redline is on prime but it's through imdbtv so there's ad breaks (sort of annoying). Lupin iii cagliostro is on netflix but it's the old 90s dub that refers to lupin as "the wolf", and I did see Akira on Hulu but I'm fairly certain not everyone has Hulu.

Netflix and HBO I think are options, and most of what I see on Netflix is stuff I haven't seen. I did pick in this corner of world last year though and that was alright.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Kingtheninja posted:

So I'm in a movie group with some friends, and I'm definitely the only one who watches much (or any) animated stuff. My pick is coming up and I'm wondering if there's anything in streaming platforms I should look for.

Redline is on prime but it's through imdbtv so there's ad breaks (sort of annoying). Lupin iii cagliostro is on netflix but it's the old 90s dub that refers to lupin as "the wolf", and I did see Akira on Hulu but I'm fairly certain not everyone has Hulu.

Netflix and HBO I think are options, and most of what I see on Netflix is stuff I haven't seen. I did pick in this corner of world last year though and that was alright.

Redline is free on tubi without ads https://tubitv.com/movies/283992/redline?start=true.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

They also have Jin Roh, which is a phenomenal film if you don't mind depressing moral ambiguity.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Aw poo poo yeah, might have to go redline now. I'd love to show that off to them.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Stuff I watched in the past few months that I have been too lazy and/or busy to post about until now:

Love Me, Love Me Not - A competent adaption of a critically acclaimed shoujo manga I haven't read. It doesn't leave me with a whole lot to say, but like a lot of anime movies that adapt shoujo manga I can really appreciate what the brisk pacing can do to iron out the worst vices; a misunderstanding that gets addressed in a few scenes instead of over the course of several episodes is so much more palatable.

Looking For Magical Doremi - A group of women in their 20s trying to figure out what they want out of life isn't an uncommon premise when it comes to movies in general, but when it comes to anime movies it's novel enough to stand out. Instead of taking the easy way out with a sequel made decades after the fact, they made a movie about a trio of adult women who happen to meet because of their fond memories of an anime they all watched as children. I haven't seen a single episode of Magical Doremi, but for all intents and purposes they could be talking about a fictional anime and it still would have worked. It's a pleasant watch, overall optimistic (with perhaps too much of a crowd-pleaser of an ending) but not afraid to throw out some ideas that lean more complex; if nothing else I can respect an anime in which a character realizes that an estranged relative is estranged for a reason.

Touch: The Ace Without a Number - It's always a joy to revisit Touch. The movie format isn't perfect for it as Mitsuru Adachi manga have a certain sense of humor and ennui to them that largely benefits from being spread over a large number of chapters, but the first Touch movie manages to do what it can to channel that energy in its short runtime. Easily the best of the three movies and it's no coincidence that it takes the most liberties with its source material.

Sword Art Online: The Movie - Ordinal Scale - I might dislike Sword Art Online a lot but I don't really consider myself a hater. I hate everything it stands for, sure. And I loathe its influence on the anime industry, much like I loathe what Marvel movies have done for cinema. But much like those Marvel movies I've seen enough Sword Art Online to know I don't care for what it's offering and likely never will. But I do enjoy diving into movies for franchises I dislike, am indifferent on, or even know nothing about; I see them as a vertical slice of sorts, showing me what the series has to offer. It works adequately here and for the first two acts it even avoids a lot of what I disliked about the series. The movie's premise involves augmented reality gaming so Kirito, the ultimate gamer, just isn't that good at it. Instead he focuses more on the mystery behind the AR game and it's moderately compelling to watch his investigation while he leaves the gaming to his friends.

Unfortunately, in the third act he has to be the indisputable best at all the games and as such, despite the movie telling you he's in poor shape, he's able to best someone in top physical condition in an augmented reality fight. I was hoping that he'd have to overcome the difference in their physical capabilities in a clever way, instead of brute force. But I suppose that ultimately, Kirito has to be the best at all video games no matter the medium.

I decided to watch this movie in VR in hopes of adding some verisimilitude to the experience. It didn't quite work exactly as I had hoped what with the movie mostly taking place in the real world. But hey, it was a novel way to experience it. Perhaps not the best pick to watch in that format; the direction is mundane but serviceable. It never looks bad but it never looks particularly great either; outside of the action scenes it could pass for episodes of the tv series. While it has those sakuga moments (a practice I find mildly appalling, personally) in its action scenes that are flashy, there's little substance to them. I get nothing out of them. They are shot in a way that's immediately forgettable.

Still, I don't consider it a waste of time. If nothing else it's far above what I've seen of the tv series. Faint praise, perhaps, but that's all I got!

You're Under Arrest: The Movie - A very serviceable movie based on a decently enjoyable anime sitcom. On some level it feels like it wants to be an Oshii film in the vein of his Patlabor movies, but it doesn't quite have the chops nor the faith in the audience; nothing illustrates this stronger than a scene in which a character talks about the concept of phantom pain and after finishing their explanation, goes on to explicitly explain what it was a metaphor for. It's the hijinks and the attention to mechanical detail that makes it watchable, not whatever the heck it's trying to say with its plot.

Demon Slayer: Mugen Train - The last time I went to the theaters before they all shut down was to see the rerelease of Tokyo Godfathers. I suppose it's fitting that the first movie I saw on my first trip back to the cinema is another anime. I've only seen a few episodes of Demon Slayer; when it comes to popular anime adaptions of Shonen Jump stuff I prefer to let them accumulate and watch them at my own pace instead of waiting weekly, but I do like to sample a few episodes while it's hot off the anime presses to understand the basic premise. And despite this movie adapting an entire arc from the manga, the magic of the Shonen Jump kind of narrative means that it was easy to just jump on board and understand enough to get by (perhaps it'd be a hot take on my part, but I truly do believe that it's easy to do this with any very long, serialized work).

It doesn't feel directed like a movie, more like I just happened to watch 6 or 7 episodes in a row on the big screen; the action is slick as hell but many of the dialogue-heavy scenes are directed in such a way that it doesn't feel like you're seeing the resources of a movie production at work. Still, it worked as a vertical slice of the series. I don't feel like I have that much to say about the movie itself considering how it's the biggest anime movie out there, so I will only add that the final fight is thrilling, easily worth the price of admission. But I wish the movie could have eased up on presenting redundant information. I get that it's adapting the manga script 1:1 but there's a huge difference between restating information between chapters or episodes, and restating that information 5-10 minutes later in a movie.

To talk around the movie a bit, there's a fascinating article about the movie in the New Yorker by longtime translator & writer Matt Alt. He brings up the fact that all the buzz about the movie in various publications has been over its box office records, with little mention of its director (to say nothing of how the actual movie doesn't even bother to give a credit to the scriptwriter(s)). It's a hell of a contrast to the buzz around Your Name, which was making all the money and no articles shied away from calling it Makoto Shinkai's movie Your Name. It'd be hyperbolic to say it's a huge push against auteurism but as far as box office records go, I can't help but compare Demon Slayer unseating Spirited Away to be comparable to Endgame unseating Avatar; movies that feel more like they were put together on an assembly line (I don't mean this as a total pejorative, mind you) beating out movies that have the unmistakable thumbprints of their director all over them. Just a little food for thought!

Words Bubble Up Like Soda Pop - The pleasant aesthetic carries the movie. Without it, there's not much to work with. The dynamic between the two leads comes off as missing a lot of connective tissue right from the start; they bump into each other, accidentally grab each other's phones, and then their first proper meeting in person to give them back happens off screen. After that the heroine stalks the protagonist a bit to find out if he has a girlfriend. It's endemic of their relationship throughout the entire movie. Most of the romantic developments in the movie suffer from that and as such the way it culminates feels exhaustingly obligatory. The two leads are a boy and a girl so of course they have to end up together. Prior to that they go on a scavenger hunt of sorts to find a missing record. It's entertaining enough and if the romance had as much care put into it as that scavenger hunt the movie would be solidly competent. As is, it's just a shrug. But a watchable shrug.

Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon a Time - Gonna need multiple repeat viewings before I can even begin to form a cohesive take, and I'm looking forward to doing so since I loved it. I had no idea what to expect out of the actual final word on Evangelion and as a coda to the series as a whole it's incredible. Back in 2016 I burned out on the mecha genre, realizing that I was watching too much current junk out of obligation. I was a dang fool, I got nothing out of those shows and not even talking about them with others was of much value to me. I decided that the next time I would watch a mecha anime it would be the final Rebuild movie (and this was before we even had a release year!) and told my pals about it so that way they could make fun of me if I failed. I stuck to my guns and it sure paid off. Easily the best anime of the year and heck it might even be the best movie that comes out this year, period.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Kaze to Ki no Uta: Adaptation of seminal 70s shounen ai manga. This had some of the most beautiful backgrounds I've seen in any animation. The vibe of the animation reminded me of a lot of soviet animation, it was constructed very differently from most anime, at least in the first half. The second half becomes a bit muddled with manga foreshadowing we never see the payoff for here but there are still many beautiful scenes. Most people enjoy Gilbert it seems but I thought Serge was the most interesting character, a closeted piano prodigy with a strong sense of justice and an obsession with how"dirty" men are. Seems like there's a lot to unpack there! Sadly the translators for the manga skipped all of his backstory chapters because there's no gay scenes in them. Sad! Despite its best efforts to capture the electric draftsmanship of Keiko Takemiya director Yasuhiko Yoshikazu's fingerprints are all over this, especially in the designs of the older characters and the character animation. It's very much a product of his style. Glad to finally have watched this, I have had this downloaded since 2015!

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Revue Starlight the Movie: I didn't really understand what was going on in this other than some metaphors about the anxieties related to change and graduation, and I still don't think any movie can make a 2 hour+ runtime really work, but nothing really quite carries itself on the spectacle as Revue Starlight, and the movie definitely knows where its strengths lie.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Strange Quark posted:

Revue Starlight the Movie: I didn't really understand what was going on in this other than some metaphors about the anxieties related to change and graduation, and I still don't think any movie can make a 2 hour+ runtime really work, but nothing really quite carries itself on the spectacle as Revue Starlight, and the movie definitely knows where its strengths lie.

The movie was basically the flip side of all the lost fights of the show. A lot of the "weaker" girls were kind of hamstrung by their place in the hierarchy over a 12 eps show. It kind of gave everyone else their moment to shine.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I went and saw Hosoda's Belle tonight.

Awful. Not even having an idol could save it.

Though pretty, it was absolutely nonsensical, and the thin lines of thematic continuity are obscured by all the garbage weaving around them. The climax of one of the main conflicts in it has our protagonist defeat a domestic abuser by literally just standing up to him, and he loving collapses on the street from her pure strength of will. This movie needed a totally different main conflict - like, everything with "The Beast" needed to go - renewed focus on its stronger parts (Suzu's small high school problems and lack of confidence in her small IRL world contrasting with her large problems and overflowing confidence in the vast digital world had potential), and a lot of editing down the back third that had me desperately fighting to avoid checking my phone for the time in the dark theater.

If you do see it, make sure its in an environment where you can make cracks about it with friends.

Also it had like a whole 5 minute sequence that seemed practically traced from the disney beauty and the beast??

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I went and saw Hosoda's Belle tonight.

Awful. Not even having an idol could save it.

Though pretty, it was absolutely nonsensical, and the thin lines of thematic continuity are obscured by all the garbage weaving around them. The climax of one of the main conflicts in it has our protagonist defeat a domestic abuser by literally just standing up to him, and he loving collapses on the street from her pure strength of will. This movie needed a totally different main conflict - like, everything with "The Beast" needed to go - renewed focus on its stronger parts (Suzu's small high school problems and lack of confidence in her small IRL world contrasting with her large problems and overflowing confidence in the vast digital world had potential), and a lot of editing down the back third that had me desperately fighting to avoid checking my phone for the time in the dark theater.

If you do see it, make sure its in an environment where you can make cracks about it with friends.

Also it had like a whole 5 minute sequence that seemed practically traced from the disney beauty and the beast??

I agree with like 90% of this post but I come down on the side of liking it. The ending bites off way more than it can chew and doesn't actually give any sort of closure, but the rest of the movie was pretty enough and the music was good enough that in the moment I was 100% feeling it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i recently watched Weathering With You which has probably my favorite depiction of Tokyo as a dilapidated, peeling shithole (except for the fancy downtown part that's always what people see in pictures. idk what it's called, it's the part that looks like Times Square). this movie has an extreme amount of detail. i always feel weird focusing on the art of an anime but it's warranted in this case, trust me it's incredible. anyway the story is sweet, about a teen runaway and an orphan with a divine blessing trying to make a living in the middle of a seemingly endless rainstorm. highly recommended

9/10

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I saw Belle and enjoyed it overall. Great art, nice songs, some funny moments, and the melodrama in the closing ~20 minutes didn't ruin it for me. I appreciate what they were trying to do with all of that, and I thought it did work in some respects.

I'd love to know whether the video game Gris came out before the movie was pitched, or during pre-production. Elements of the art style and the singing element in this movie gave me some flashbacks to Gris.

Also, did anyone else think for a bit that the beast might be her dad? I figured that she already had a love interest in Shinobu so the beast didn't have to fill that role, and that the emotional heart of the story might end up being her and her dad finally finding a way to communicate about and heal from their shared trauma. Honestly, I think that could've ended up being a stronger movie; it would probably let you cut out ~10 minutes and a bunch of the silly third-act leaps in logic.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah I thought Belle was pretty bad. It was a disservice to the visuals, certainly, and Hosoda needs to start working with screenwriters again.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Today I went and saw one of the limited screenings of Sing a Bit of Harmony (Ai no Utagoe o Kikasete, "Let Me Hear You Sing of Love"), the newest film directed by Yasuhiro Yoshiura (Time of Eve, Patema Inverted), It was nice being able to experience an animated film on the big screen, especially one that has gorgeous visuals and a bunch of musical numbers. While the plot was fairly standard and a tad too cheesy at points, it was overall an enjoyable experience and a nice take on a developing city surrounded by various kinds of AI. The characters aren't that deep, but they all serve their roles well and are likable. I give the film a strong 6/10 rating.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Julias posted:

Today I went and saw one of the limited screenings of Sing a Bit of Harmony (Ai no Utagoe o Kikasete, "Let Me Hear You Sing of Love"), the newest film directed by Yasuhiro Yoshiura (Time of Eve, Patema Inverted), It was nice being able to experience an animated film on the big screen, especially one that has gorgeous visuals and a bunch of musical numbers. While the plot was fairly standard and a tad too cheesy at points, it was overall an enjoyable experience and a nice take on a developing city surrounded by various kinds of AI. The characters aren't that deep, but they all serve their roles well and are likable. I give the film a strong 6/10 rating.
Cool, I like his work a lot. Shame it isn't another classic like ToE but good that he's still making decent stuff.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I also saw sing a bit of harmony today. I quite enjoyed it! It was lighthearted fun, and I was rooting for all the characters to succeed, whether that was in holding hands with the nerdy boy, being less of a bitch, kissing the cute robot, or delivering comeuppance to an evil (?) corporation.

Probably helps that I was coming off of belle, and this seemed to do some of the same stuff but much better.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

I saw Belle, it really feels like its just Summer Wars combined with Beauty and the Beast. I feel like there are so many scenes in the film that have direct parallels in either of the two movies.

I also agree that the film would have been much better if the beast was someone she actually knew. I thought it was going to be Shinobu. It could have shown how not all abuse is publicly visible, and sometimes its ok to seek help from others. It would have tied in nicely with him saying he was going to protect her when she was six.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I watched WXIII recently and I liked it. I was more interested in it because it was by the 0080 director and not because it was a Patlabor movie so I didn't mind that the Patlabor stuff is tangential. There's some good animation of old internet stuff and the two main detectives were cool. Also had a badass monster design. Bonus points for having a villain who was a very compelling character. Patlabor movie bad guys are usually interesting (E. Hoba and his birds, Tsuge's whole thing with Shinobu) but they don't usually show that much in the story itself. I don't know if that's an Oshii thing or not.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's very much an Oshii thing.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I was going to say Ghost in the Shell had that too but Puppet Master has that first strong scene where they introduce themselves.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

hostess with the Moltres posted:

I was going to say Ghost in the Shell had that too but Puppet Master has that first strong scene where they introduce themselves.

What about Innocence?

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

What about Innocence?

I haven't seen Innocence yet (even though I plan to). On the note of GITS it's interesting how different tonally the movie is from the manga even though it's the same basic story. I had been thinking about seeing GITS 2.0 as an excuse to watch it again but all the changes make it sound like the movie just looks worse now.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Don't bother with 2.0 unless you want to see shoddy CGI.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I am so confused about why they did 2.0. What was the logic there

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It was the early days of the widespread adoption of CGI and digital filmmaking across and special editions with updated visuals were all the rage. Thing is not everybody has the budget of ILM to pull it off.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
It was made to be a double feature with the release of Oshii's Sky Crawlers if I remember right.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Seemlar posted:

It was made to be a double feature with the release of Oshii's Sky Crawlers if I remember right.

But Sky Crawlers actually looks pretty decent. I guess it was animated with CGI in mind rather than slapping it onto an older film.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Apparently the Eureka Seven Hi-Evolution film continues the trend of everything besides the original TV show trying to retcon the original's happy ending. This time Its revealed that every other entry in the franchise was the hallucination of Eureka after accidentally killing Renton. I don't know why the gently caress the creators hate the original series so much. The show set up for a potentially interesting sequel, but instead its endless remakes and prequels making GBS threads on the original ending.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Pompo: The Cinéphile: Beautiful, inventive animation that fully takes advantage of the medium it's in. But most importantly of all, it knows that the key to any good movie is keeping its length to 90 minutes long.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Violet Evergarden: The Movie is about 45 minutes too long and tries to hit you with cheap emotiional punches. If this sounds like the series its because it is the same. I have just learned that there is another 90 minute movie that might actually be good and not involve the discovery that your long lost deuteragonist has secretly been going by his first name but with the letter changed to "J" for 5 years.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah the side story movie was much better imo. its still violet evergarden but i found it to be the best-told story in the series

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Satoshi Kon's movies are free this week in the US through an event. I can see them anytime I like so that's not the main draw, but the harder to see documentary Satoshi Kon: The Illusionist is also available and an interesting watch.

The film is basically an overview of all of Kon's animated work, with a brief mention of his cancelled manga with Oshii. The portrait it paints is basically of a guy who was certain that he was a genius from age 22, and would not work under anyone. His films were unprofitable but Madhouse had faith in him and so kept giving him chances, which eventually paid off? In artistic value, certainly, but maybe not financially in the end, especially since they sunk money into his last film that was never finished (can't blame Kon for dying though.) I think trying to cover 4 films and one tv series in a single documentary didn't allow they to go very in depth. There some talk of how he raged against the industry and tried to demand better pay for animators, as well as a bit about how his final unfinished film was meant to be a training ground for the new feature animation talents. He told Aya Suzuki that the main female protagonist in Perfect Blue was based on himself, with the idol industry substituted for the anime industry. Darren Aronofsky appears in a few sections to talk about how he met Kon at a premiere and later requested to be able to borrow some shots from Perfect Blue to recreate in Requiem for a Dream. Aronofsky says the confusing thing that he wanted to direct a Prefect Blue remake in the 2000s but that America did not understand the concept of pop idols yet because Brittney Spears hadn't become famous. Considering that she was already famous in 1999, I don't know what he's talking about. And pop idols were a thing in America before that. Confusing.

I didn't realize how many of Kon's works were based on books. I wish they had gotten a chance to interview Susumu Hirasawa, because his music is so many Kon works is why it feels a certain way, but he is absent. Compared to films like Persistence of Vision about Richard Williams, or The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness about Miyazaki, I felt it was a far inferior documentary. It mostly made me wish that Kon was still around so he could make more films and they wouldn't have to just do a tepid retrospective of his works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I've read the book that Perfect Blue is based on and to say that Kon elevated the material is the understatement of the century.

Admittedly, the movie only borrows a scant few details from the book and is completely different otherwise. It might be one of the biggest deviations from the source material I've ever seen, and considering the movie we got there couldn't be a better outcome.